SI: Report: Rams want to restructure Sam Bradford's contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lockdnram21

Legend
Its 13 million and if they cut him who is going to pay him that?
The Rams have leverage, otherwise there wouldnt be any negotiation.
They might not pay him that but he might still leave and go somewhere else. Then if he does well rams will look stupid

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They might not pay him that but he might still leave and go somewhere else. Then if he does well rams will look stupid
I'm only disputing the idea that the Rams have no leverage. They absolutely do.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Iknow Fisher said something about QB competition, But I don't recall him ever saying anything about Sam would have to 'rework his deal'!!

He hasn't publically, to Jim Thomas or anyone. The "at the right price" was not sources, nor was this. Has he said it off the record to Jim Thomas? I don't know, if so, Thomas isn't quoting any off-the-record source or "unamed rams exec".

lockdnram21

Legend
I'm only disputing the idea that the Rams have no leverage. They absolutely do.
I say they dont because they have no viable fall back option and if hes better then everybody in draft and free agency why wouldmthey let him get away with 1 year left on his deal? As farr as money yes but as farr as needing a qb he has all the leverage which is why i think if it came to it they would pay him his salary tomkeep him

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Call me naive and I am speculating to a large extent but Sam strikes me as the kind of guy that will feel he owes this team a debt. He knows he hasn't provided value for money even if that was down to factors outside of his control.

When injured this past season he was there on the sidelines staying involved, wanting to continue to be a part of this team. He has close friends on the team (Chris Long has stated on Twitter in the last few weeks that Sam is his closest buddy on the team).

I'm confident he stays and would love nothing more than to see him achieve success in horns cus he deserves it.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
They might not end up restructuring but there is zero chance they release Bradford. There are not any better options to release him, they would rather eat the last year of the contract and hope he can stay healthy.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
It is possible to give him an extension, but very little guaranteed money in case of injury.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Call me naive and I am speculating to a large extent but Sam strikes me as the kind of guy that will feel he owes this team a debt. He knows he hasn't provided value for money even if that was down to factors outside of his control.

When injured this past season he was there on the sidelines staying involved, wanting to continue to be a part of this team. He has close friends on the team (Chris Long has stated on Twitter in the last few weeks that Sam is his closest buddy on the team).

I'm confident he stays and would love nothing more than to see him achieve success in horns cus he deserves it.
I actually agree. I'm just saying that in the event that Sam's agents play hardball, the team would have a real problem. Fortunately, I don't think it will come to that.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I say they dont because they have no viable fall back option and if hes better then everybody in draft and free agency why wouldmthey let him get away with 1 year left on his deal? As farr as money yes but as farr as needing a qb he has all the leverage which is why i think if it came to it they would pay him his salary tomkeep him
You're confusing things. I am not saying that Bradford doesnt have any leverage, nor am I suggesting that the Rams are holding all the cards.
Sure, not having a fall back option right now is leverage for Sam. No denying that. However, the Rams are in a position of leverage as it pertains to money on the table.
Sam has 13 mill on the table at the moment, and his negotiation with the Rams will be about how much of that is guaranteed. The Leverage here is that he has to be certain that he can get that (or more) on the open market.
Also, being that they stayed inside for OC, there wont be a change in terminology or scenery for Sam. So if he is to sign an incentive laden deal, it behooves him to be in a place where he has the most opportunity to achieve the incentives. He'll have that opportunity here. Going elsewhere is a gray area, as he'll have to learn an entirely new system and likely be competing for playing time.
Again, not saying the Rams are in charge but the idea that Sam holds all the leverage is just not true

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
You're confusing things. I am not saying that Bradford doesnt have any leverage, nor am I suggesting that the Rams are holding all the cards.
Sure, not having a fall back option right now is leverage for Sam. No denying that. However, the Rams are in a position of leverage as it pertains to money on the table.
Sam has 13 mill on the table at the moment, and his negotiation with the Rams will be about how much of that is guaranteed. The Leverage here is that he has to be certain that he can get that (or more) on the open market.
Also, being that they stayed inside for OC, there wont be a change in terminology or scenery for Sam. So if he is to sign an incentive laden deal, it behooves him to be in a place where he has the most opportunity to achieve the incentives. He'll have that opportunity here. Going elsewhere is a gray area, as he'll have to learn an entirely new system and likely be competing for playing time.
Again, not saying the Rams are in charge but the idea that Sam holds all the leverage is just not true

Also, and I may be wrong, can't the Rams release him late - sometime during preseason and still get the savings? I thought I had heard that at one point - did not search for source. Bradford not only has to wonder what his market value is now, but what is his market value if he is cut 2 weeks into preseason when salary cap dollors have gone elsewhere. What if he still isn't fully rehabbed at that point...who will sign him hoping he can go by week 4 or 5?

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I think people are confusing restructuring and taking a pay cut. Ideally they will restructure so that the cap # is much less. But, I think they will re-do the contract in a way that gives him incentives to not only win the starting job but to make as much as he is today. It just will be in a different form that gives the team flexibility. You know, games played, TD's, etc. They aren't going to hand him another $16M but I would bet they'll give him every possible incentive to earn that much. And FWIW, if he earns it we will all be very happy fans.

Now if Sam says absolutely not that's another discussion. But I can't see why he wouldn't. He's a good kid and has a lot to prove.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also, and I may be wrong, can't the Rams release him late - sometime during preseason and still get the savings? I thought I had heard that at one point - did not search for source. Bradford not only has to wonder what his market value is now, but what is his market value if he is cut 2 weeks into preseason when salary cap dollors have gone elsewhere. What if he still isn't fully rehabbed at that point...who will sign him hoping he can go by week 4 or 5?
No doubt in fact IIRC, they can cut him in August after rosters are settled and his salary wouldnt be guaranteed

V3

Hall of Fame
Its 13 million and if they cut him who is going to pay him that?
The Rams have leverage, otherwise there wouldnt be any negotiation.
The Rams have little to no leverage. They don't have a QB, the QB draft class is a joke, and there are plenty of QB desperate teams out there. The Rams have no other option. You think Fisher is going to risk his job(his seat will be very warm if he doesn't get past .500 again) with a rookie QB? I would be willing to bet that some team like Buffalo or Houston, that has all the parts there but no QB, would be willing to take that chance and sign him for that much. That's how stupid teams get.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams have little to no leverage. They don't have a QB, the QB draft class is a joke, and there are plenty of QB desperate teams out there. The Rams have no other option. You think Fisher is going to risk his job(his seat will be very warm if he doesn't get past .500 again) with a rookie QB? I would be willing to bet that some team like Buffalo or Houston, that has all the parts there but no QB, would be willing to take that chance and sign him for that much. That's how stupid teams get.
2 things,
1) you need to catch up because I hear what you're saying and think you'll see some of what you wrote answered
2) As for the Fisher hot seat, I don't think anyone is even talking about replacement in this thread, merely the numbers. But on your point, if he's on the hot seat, but goes with Bradford and he gets hurt again and then the back up doesnt get them past .500 he's in just as deep if not deeper water than your rookie example. In fact I'd say 7-9 with a rookie QB keeps his job where 7-9 even 8-8 with Bradford and a back up likely does not

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think people are confusing restructuring and taking a pay cut. Ideally they will restructure so that the cap # is much less. But, I think they will re-do the contract in a way that gives him incentives to not only win the starting job but to make as much as he is today. It just will be in a different form that gives the team flexibility. You know, games played, TD's, etc. They aren't going to hand him another $16M but I would bet they'll give him every possible incentive to earn that much. And FWIW, if he earns it we will all be very happy fans.

Now if Sam says absolutely not that's another discussion. But I can't see why he wouldn't. He's a good kid and has a lot to prove.
This is what I'm thinking. Look at Kaperdink's contract. He lost out on something like $2 million simply by not making the Probowl or playoffs. The Rams could re-work his contract where he actually has the chance to make more than the $13 million if incentives are involved.

There are a few things that I think really affect this situation. The last couple high profile QB contracts weighs in pretty heavily. It became about incentives.

Another thing I look at is are teams going to pay Sam starter money with the real possibility - almost likelihood that he can't play a full season, and then have to pay what to a second string QB that will be able to step in?

The fact that Sam will have to step in and compete for a starting roll no matter where he goes and have to learn new team mates and system are real considerations. Playing with guys you like and know isn't a non-issue. Hayes said as much when he signed with us for less money than he could have received on the open market.

I doubt the Rams would pull the late release option unless Sam and his agent are not willing to negotiate in a manner recognizing both sides have not only leverage but a common goal. Even then I'd guess the Rams tell him to go test the market and get back to them. I'm sure other teams would love to have Sam's skill set - but at what cost. Having to carry another expensive QB? A roster spot for having to carry three QBs instead of two?

The idea that the Rams have no leverage simply isn't true.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The fact that Sam will have to step in and compete for a starting roll no matter where he goes and have to learn new team mates and system are real considerations. Playing with guys you like and know isn't a non-issue. Hayes said as much when he signed with us for less money than he could have received on the open market.

*SNIP*

Agree and agree. Incentive laden deal sounds great, but he's actually got to reach those plateaus to make that money. Lets face it, it will be almost 2 years from the last time he stepped on an NFL field playing in regular season game. A contract juiced in performance incentives doesnt leave a lot of room for rust to burn off.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I think you just nailed what the Rams are trying to do. Question is whether Sam wants to do that, or simply take his money they owe him which assures him he will be well paid.

And personally, I tend to think Sam is a great guy and that he will recognize he has been well paid for his time with the team. Problem is this pay cut comes with competition, and Sam has to be concerned about his knee. If his agent is telling him forcing the Rams hands means he may be cut, will he roll the dice?

It's business, when it comes down to it. So I think Sam will try to help the team with a restructure, but it would not surprise me if he refused.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
This is what I'm thinking. Look at Kaperdink's contract. He lost out on something like $2 million simply by not making the Probowl or playoffs. The Rams could re-work his contract where he actually has the chance to make more than the $13 million if incentives are involved.

There are a few things that I think really affect this situation. The last couple high profile QB contracts weighs in pretty heavily. It became about incentives.

Another thing I look at is are teams going to pay Sam starter money with the real possibility - almost likelihood that he can't play a full season, and then have to pay what to a second string QB that will be able to step in?

I doubt the Rams would pull the late release option unless Sam and his agent are not willing to negotiate in a manner recognizing both sides have not only leverage but a common goal. Even then I'd guess the Rams tell him to go test the market and get back to them. I'm sure other teams would love to have Sam's skill set - but at what cost. Having to carry another expensive QB? A roster spot for having to carry three QBs instead of two?

Excellent post bro. Human nature is a big deal. The fact he can come back with a team on the rise and teammates he knows and loves can't be dismissed.
I think it's very likely there will be teams interested. But it's not likely they will be lining up with blank checks. They will all want Sam to prove his worth as well. We have more leverage than you might think.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
The Rams don't want Bradford to restructure. They want him to take a pay cut. I doubt Bradford wants that and with the weak QB market I doubt he does. I would rather be able to make a clean break on him after this season if he fails than owe him money next year. If he plays well he would get his contract reworked anyways.
and how can you possibly know that?

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I think you just nailed what the Rams are trying to do. Question is whether Sam wants to do that, or simply take his money they owe him which assures him he will be well paid.

And personally, I tend to think Sam is a great guy and that he will recognize he has been well paid for his time with the team. Problem is this pay cut comes with competition, and Sam has to be concerned about his knee. If his agent is telling him forcing the Rams hands means he may be cut, will he roll the dice?

It's business, when it comes down to it. So I think Sam will try to help the team with a restructure, but it would not surprise me if he refused.

Agree with everything you said. But Sam has to realize no matter where he goes it will be with competition. NO team is going to hand over the starting job to someone coming off two ACL injuries. I don't think any GM is that stupid.