SI: Report: Rams want to restructure Sam Bradford's contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Florio On Rams Wanting Sam Bradford to Restructure Contract

PFT’s Mike Florio breaks down how the Rams should proceed with Sam Bradford. The Rams want Bradford, who has torn his ACL in each of the past two season, to restructure his contract. What would Bradford’s market value be if he was released and became a free agent.

Watch Florio Talk Bradford/Rams

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
What would Bradford’s market value be if he was released and became a free agent.
Florio played it safe and didn't go there.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You cannot count the prorated $$$ when talking about him restructuring his deal for the upcoming year. His salary due is $12,985,000 for 2015. And again, I will say that IMO, that isn't out of line. His comp has nothing to do with the prorated number for 2015. He has already been paid that $$. its NOT part of this years compensation. Its part of the cap number, nothing more.

They will restructure it to a lower base, with incentives, he will make every dime of that number if he is on the field. And by incentives, I am not talking about "performance" based, (TDs, Yards, comp %). They will all be tied to playing time...... % of offensive snaps taken, games played, etc.

IMO, they will make it very "player friendly" in terms of reaching the number. Assuming he IS ON THE FIELD.
It's not accurate to compare his 13mill base vs other qb comp and say it's a fair comparison
Sam's "base" salary in his first 5 years has amounted to just under 30 mill. So it's disingenuous to say he's been paid 6 mill per year when he's already recieved an additional 35 mill in signing/roster bonus.
It hits the Rams for 16.5 mill if they leave his contract as is.

FWIW Bradford 2015 "base" salary is the 8th highest in the league.

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Its 13 million and if they cut him who is going to pay him that?
The Rams have leverage, otherwise there wouldnt be any negotiation.

Exactly.

No team is going to give him much of anything in the way of guarantees after two knee injuries a year apart, it's just not something that's a smart move. And I count the Rams among teams that aren't going to do it either so redoing his deal is the only way to go. If his agents balk I'd cut him and wish him well.

If I'm Bradford I welcome the chance to stay in the same system, compete for my job and take a deal that extends the contract one year with incentives.

I'm afraid this is a no win for both sides though.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Florio played it safe and didn't go there.

IMO he'd get a couple mil a year for two years in guaranteed $$$ and another 10 mil over two years in incentives. Frankly he's worth no more than that level or risk right now. Even a QB needy team isn't going to pay anything close to what he is scheduled to make next year.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I agree with most of what you said. But the part you are leaving out, is with an incentive laden contract, the cap hit rolls over to the next year on any $$$ earned via those incentives.

They will find a way to restructure, which will include EXTENDING him, with a "no risk" extension. Meaning they will, include roster bonuses for 2016, which are only paid, (and counted against the cap) if he is healthy. But to make it workable from both sides, there will have to be some sort of extension.

Restructuring contracts will NEVER include taking a pay cut. It's all creative accounting, but at the end of the day, if Bradford is on the field, he gets paid. And IF he stays on the field thru 2015, why wouldn't they want him back in 2016 and beyond?

All to often, it seems fans "negotiate" from their own emotional POV, without really putting themselves in the position of either the organization or the player. There isn't an agent, player or team exec who would allow themselves to have a gun put to their head, and leave themselves vulnerable in a situation like this.

To somehow think that the Rams are going to let him walk, cut him outright, or force him into taking a pay cut, without another viable option as good as Bradford would be even more foolish than bringing him back, regardless of what the fans have to say. LOL

For Bradford, he has plenty of reason to want to restructure, if he gets additional year(s) added to the deal. Again, it will be in the form of a roster bonus for 2016, and incentives for 2015. The bottom line, IMO, the Rams want him to be "the guy", but will be protected in the event he is injured again. But, if he manages to stay on the field, they will pay him his $$$. Which, in the long run, will be more than a reasonable number given the status of starting QB salaries at this point.

For those who seem to think that the $12.5M is unreasonable, its not even in the top 10 in the league for a starter. Again, if he is able to stay on the field, he is worth every penny of that.

He's never played for any duration of games like a top 10 QB, and then there is the "able to stay on the field" part.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
upload_2015-2-9_18-27-1.png

CoachO

Hall of Fame
He's never played for any duration of games like a top 10 QB, and then there is the "able to stay on the field" part.

This isn't about his on field play compared to "top 10" rated QBs.

This discussion is about his contract and how the team will find a way to restructure it. Put your personal feelings aside for just a minute and realize where this team is without Bradford moving forward.

They will find a way to bring him back that protects the organization moving forward if he can't stay on the field.

And they will make sure he gets paid if he does. Not sure why this concept is so hard for people to understand.

It's not about what he has been paid. Or what they think he's "worth". It is as simple as protecting themselves if he cannot stay healthy.

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I agree with most of what you said. But the part you are leaving out, is with an incentive laden contract, the cap hit rolls over to the next year on any $$$ earned via those incentives.

They will find a way to restructure, which will include EXTENDING him, with a "no risk" extension. Meaning they will, include roster bonuses for 2016, which are only paid, (and counted against the cap) if he is healthy. But to make it workable from both sides, there will have to be some sort of extension.

Restructuring contracts will NEVER include taking a pay cut. It's all creative accounting, but at the end of the day, if Bradford is on the field, he gets paid. And IF he stays on the field thru 2015, why wouldn't they want him back in 2016 and beyond?

All to often, it seems fans "negotiate" from their own emotional POV, without really putting themselves in the position of either the organization or the player. There isn't an agent, player or team exec who would allow themselves to have a gun put to their head, and leave themselves vulnerable in a situation like this.

To somehow think that the Rams are going to let him walk, cut him outright, or force him into taking a pay cut, without another viable option as good as Bradford would be even more foolish than bringing him back, regardless of what the fans have to say. LOL

For Bradford, he has plenty of reason to want to restructure, if he gets additional year(s) added to the deal. Again, it will be in the form of a roster bonus for 2016, and incentives for 2015. The bottom line, IMO, the Rams want him to be "the guy", but will be protected in the event he is injured again. But, if he manages to stay on the field, they will pay him his $$$. Which, in the long run, will be more than a reasonable number given the status of starting QB salaries at this point.

For those who seem to think that the $12.5M is unreasonable, its not even in the top 10 in the league for a starter. Again, if he is able to stay on the field, he is worth every penny of that.

This is pretty much it.

And I get the benefit of less keystrokes just agreeing with it. (y)

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Sam's last 16 games compared to other QBs in that span. Was 9th in TDs . .. was playing well. Not elite yet, but then has missed the last 25 or so games with injury. The knee is the thing. If healthy, he can get it done. And did this with plenty of OLmen not in NFL anymore.

Samlast9games2012first72013withrestofleague_zpsc722f648.jpg

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G

This discussion is about his contract and how the team will find a way to restructure it. Put your personal feelings aside for just a minute and realize where this team is without Bradford moving forward.

They will find a way to bring him back that protects the organization moving forward if he can't stay on the field.

And they will make sure he gets paid if he does. Not sure why this concept is so hard for people to understand.

It's not about what he has been paid. Or what they think he's "worth". It is as simple as protecting themselves if he cannot stay healthy.
It's easy to understand and the way you've explained it makes sense and will likely happen that way. He won't be cut or anything like that. Just protections if he gets hurt again.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Sam's last 16 games compared to other QBs in that span. Was 9th in TDs . .. was playing well. Not elite yet, but then has missed the last 25 or so games with injury. The knee is the thing. If healthy, he can get it done. And did this with plenty of OLmen not in NFL anymore.

Samlast9games2012first72013withrestofleague_zpsc722f648.jpg

Stats aside... If you watch enough football; Sam passes the eyeball test. This is without a doubt the most talented team we've had around him. Albeit, the OL once again needs work.

If Sam can stay healthy, which is what we all worry about, he's a QB you can win with.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Exactly.

No team is going to give him much of anything in the way of guarantees after two knee injuries a year apart, it's just not something that's a smart move. And I count the Rams among teams that aren't going to do it either so redoing his deal is the only way to go. If his agents balk I'd cut him and wish him well.

If I'm Bradford I welcome the chance to stay in the same system, compete for my job and take a deal that extends the contract one year with incentives.

I'm afraid this is a no win for both sides though.[/QUOTe

Sam wins regardless...He either makes another bazillion $$ or he could buy an island and life his life out any way he chooses... Being a guy who apparently doesn't throw $100 bills in the fireplace as kindling, he would probably buy whichever half of Oklahoma he likes better and settle in...

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don't know which side has more leverage. But I believe if they cut him and made him a free agent he would be more sought after than the other free agent quarterbacks. And there's always that one or two desperate teams who's willing to overpay for his services. Especially if he can convince them he'll be ready to go when the season starts. A team that is on the cusp of winning and only needs a quarterback might give him the contract he's looking for. Especially if that team has a good line and good receivers.

Say what you want about Sam Bradford, but I've seen him make throws that not many other quarterbacks can make. And he's not gonna beat himself very often. With the right coach, he could be taught to take more chances and not be overly conservative like he's been.

Its a gamble to be sure. Pay him and he might go down permanently. Let him go and if he excels elsewhere I can imagine what the hindsight crowd will be saying.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

No personal feelings matter here and I'm not sure why you were compelled to say that.

If you think this isn't about what they think he is worth I think you have your head in the sand. Because that is EXACTLY what it is about.

Otherwise they wouldn't be negotiating, they would just let the contract play out or cut him. They are talking to him to figure out what he is worth to them.

Isn't that obvious?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
No personal feelings matter here and I'm not sure why you were compelled to say that.

If you think this isn't about what they think he is worth I think you have your head in the sand. Because that is EXACTLY what it is about.

Otherwise they wouldn't be negotiating, they would just let the contract play out or cut him. They are talking to him to figure out what he is worth to them.

Isn't that obvious?
Gotta say though, it is obvious what you think of Sam so it is hard to respond to your thoughts on the situation and leave that out. You don't think much of Sam as a QB and that we know. So the value you put on him is affected by your feelings toward him. Maybe not personal but feelings none the less.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

Isn't that obvious?
No my head isn't in the sand. As far as my comments regarding personal feelings. You interjected your opinion as to his not playing up to what you apparently think are the standards based on your expectations. You made it seem like you have an issue with them bringing him back for anything less than a major pay cut. That's is what I was addressing.

As I have stated repeatedly in this thread. This will be about them protecting themselves against Bradford not being able to stay in the field again.

It's about finding a way to make it worthwhile for him to stay here. Which I believe is what the organization wants. But they won't do it if it means putting the organization at risk if he isn't healthy.

At the end of the day, IMO they would like nothing more than to pay Bradford the entire amount of the incentive laden contract (which will approach the full amount of $12.9m) if it means he is on the field for all 16 weeks.

So it's not a all about what they think he is worth. It's about finding a compromise that makes it mutually beneficial to keep him here.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't know which side has more leverage. But I believe if they cut him and made him a free agent he would be more sought after than the other free agent quarterbacks. And there's always that one or two desperate teams who's willing to overpay for his services. Especially if he can convince them he'll be ready to go when the season starts. A team that is on the cusp of winning and only needs a quarterback might give him the contract he's looking for. Especially if that team has a good line and good receivers.

Say what you want about Sam Bradford, but I've seen him make throws that not many other quarterbacks can make. And he's not gonna beat himself very often. With the right coach, he could be taught to take more chances and not be overly conservative like he's been.

Its a gamble to be sure. Pay him and he might go down permanently. Let him go and if he excels elsewhere I can imagine what the hindsight crowd will be saying.

I've never seen him do anything unusually special. I wishwishwish that he was everything he was advertised to be but so far no go.

So what throws has he done that not many other QB's can do? IMO as a passer he is conservative so he is not throwing passes that make you say "wow look at that".

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
He has an arm and is pretty accurate. Thats a better skillset than most of these young guys. The NFL has been known to favor big arm QBs and Jay Cutler is the salary you should base Bradfords off of. FWIW I agree with Coach O. Also, just like Jake Long, you can't outright release him until he is healthy. However much dead money it shows on overthecap. com, releasing him would be actually count for more than that. He isn't getting released. And I really dont think his salary is that exorbant.

lockdnram21

Legend
No my head isn't in the sand. As far as my comments regarding personal feelings. You interjected your opinion as to his not playing up to what you apparently think are the standards based on your expectations. You made it seem like you have an issue with them bringing him back for anything less than a major pay cut. That's is what I was addressing.

As I have stated repeatedly in this thread. This will be about them protecting themselves against Bradford not being able to stay in the field again.

It's about finding a way to make it worthwhile for him to stay here. Which I believe is what the organization wants. But they won't do it if it means putting the organization at risk if he isn't healthy.

At the end of the day, IMO they would like nothing more than to pay Bradford the entire amount of the incentive laden contract (which will approach the full amount of $12.9m) if it means he is on the field for all 16 weeks.

So it's not a all about what they think he is worth. It's about finding a compromise that makes it mutually beneficial to keep him here.
How is it Beneficial to pay a qb that hasnt showed hes worth that much or able to stay healthy up to this point? Whats the point of restructuring his contract? Might asmwell let this year play out if what u say is true