SI: Report: Rams want to restructure Sam Bradford's contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
This isn't about his on field play compared to "top 10" rated QBs.

This discussion is about his contract and how the team will find a way to restructure it
It's about his value to the Rams vs his value on the open market...and yes, his on the field performance AND his injury history are linked to both. There's no denying that.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
How do we restructure if he hasn't passed a physical?
Given his history, at point of the pre-season / season will he pass a physical?
How can another team sign him if he can't pass a physical?
What does Snisher look like if we pay him $13M and get no production out of him (even if the $13M is spread over 2-3 years)?
What can Snisher do to keep Bradford yet not come off looking ridiculous?
How much should an insurance policy (i.e., Bradford) at the QB position cost?
What's the history of GM's paying QB's coming off of potential career ending injuries (Drew Brees doesn't count)?
Is Alex Smith's last contract with the Whiner's a benchmark (something like $7M per)?
What is the benchmark?

I got more questions than answers, boys.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sam Bradford is one lucky son of a bitch! Talk about a crappy market.

As for what do Snead and Fisher look like?...They have one tough decision coming up. The QB that supposedly swayed Fishers decision to don the horns, may end up being his undoing if it all goes tits up.

Since his second year onwards, I have struggled to envision Sam as the QB of the future for us. I don't think he possesses the poise and confidence that all great QB's need. That ability to slow the game down and perform when the heat is on.
Having said that, there was a little somethin' about his swagger and the vibe emitting from the rest of the team before his injury last year, so we shall see if that carries over or can be reignited!

...The good news about this upcoming season, is that we SHOULD be presented with a decent dose of clarity going forward. Be it the QB position, coaching staff or which city the Rams will call home. Something has gotta give!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If its me and Sam negotiating and he doesn't restructure I wait until I acquire another QB and cut him. I wouldn't pay him another 13 million with the injury risk that he has. It is too much for a guy that probably plays 3 games at most and then is out again. I have ZERO faith in Sams knee at this point. Neither hit he took on the knee was a crushing blow. The guy is fragile.

At this point I don't care who the QB is that they draft and trade for. Anyone standing, walking, running will be better than Bradford because he wont be able to stay on the field.

BTW I don't dislike the guy. I always thought he was a good QB. But these to ACLs in a row are a huge risk. I don't see any team giving up 13 million for him. Some team with a QB like the Patriots would sign him for backup money and let him heal or a desperate team would make a bigger offer for him to start but nobody is giving him 13 million to be their starter.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Sam Bradford is one lucky son of a bitch! Talk about a crappy market.

As for what do Snead and Fisher look like?...They have one tough decision coming up. The QB that supposedly swayed Fishers decision to don the horns, may end up being his undoing if it all goes tits up.

Since his second year onwards, I have struggled to envision Sam as the QB of the future for us. I don't think he possesses the poise and confidence that all great QB's need. That ability to slow the game down and perform when the heat is on.
Having said that, there was a little somethin' about his swagger and the vibe emitting from the rest of the team before his injury last year, so we shall see if that carries over or can be reignited!

...The good news about this upcoming season, is that we SHOULD be presented with a decent dose of clarity going forward. Be it the QB position, coaching staff or which city the Rams will call home. Something has gotta give!

I don't think it is so much that Sam is lucky as Snead and Fisher were stupid for not taking a top QB when they had the chance. Even having Garapolo in the wings would be a better option right now and that would have only taken a second round pick. They could have had Bridgewater(although with his frame I think he will be in Sam shoes with a major injury some day). They could have had Bortles. If it was my choice I would have picked Bortles and moved on. QB is the single most important position.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Gotta say though, it is obvious what you think of Sam so it is hard to respond to your thoughts on the situation and leave that out. You don't think much of Sam as a QB and that we know. So the value you put on him is affected by your feelings toward him. Maybe not personal but feelings none the less.

I think right now he is a big risk, and they are negotiating to redo his deal to something they think is fair because right now, even though his pay is middle of the road, it's WAY to much for him. He hasn't proven a thing in the NFL and he has been hurt way to often. It make no sense to throw 13 mil at that, none whatsoever.

It's unfortunate that it's unfolded like this and I wish that he was a super star and never injured but right now after 5 years in the league Bradford is a known quantity.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Sam's last 16 games compared to other QBs in that span. Was 9th in TDs . .. was playing well. Not elite yet, but then has missed the last 25 or so games with injury. The knee is the thing. If healthy, he can get it done. And did this with plenty of OLmen not in NFL anymore.

Samlast9games2012first72013withrestofleague_zpsc722f648.jpg

What 16 games are you taking here for the other QBs???? Is it the ones that match up with the weeks of sam actually played or their last 16 games? Honestly if you are just lining it up week to week that means nothing since it is spread over many years and would result in a weird "schedule" for each player.....

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No my head isn't in the sand. As far as my comments regarding personal feelings. You interjected your opinion as to his not playing up to what you apparently think are the standards based on your expectations. You made it seem like you have an issue with them bringing him back for anything less than a major pay cut. That's is what I was addressing.

As I have stated repeatedly in this thread. This will be about them protecting themselves against Bradford not being able to stay in the field again.

It's about finding a way to make it worthwhile for him to stay here. Which I believe is what the organization wants. But they won't do it if it means putting the organization at risk if he isn't healthy.

At the end of the day, IMO they would like nothing more than to pay Bradford the entire amount of the incentive laden contract (which will approach the full amount of $12.9m) if it means he is on the field for all 16 weeks.

So it's not a all about what they think he is worth. It's about finding a compromise that makes it mutually beneficial to keep him here.
I totally agree with this. Its going to be a compromise where both sides have leverage.
What I don't agree with was this
For those who seem to think that the $12.5M is unreasonable, its not even in the top 10 in the league for a starter.
His base is #8 in the league for 2015
And unfortunately no amount they pay him will guarantee that he stays on the field.
Personally, I'd like to see a 2 year extension, guaranteeing that 13 mill but spreading it out over the next 3 seasons, then making up the difference in performance/roster bonus with a built in "raise" raise each year.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
As far as those who don't believe Sam is the guy based on his play up to this point, I can understand that. He hasn't done enough to justify his contract. But Fisher and Snead aren't looking at what he has done so far. They're looking at what they think he will do. The team is more talented right now than when he last took a snap in the regular season. I'm curious to see how he'll do with this team. Especially if they sign Britt.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I totally agree with this. Its going to be a compromise where both sides have leverage.
What I don't agree with was this

His base is #8 in the league for 2015
And unfortunately no amount they pay him will guarantee that he stays on the field.
Personally, I'd like to see a 2 year extension, guaranteeing that 13 mill but spreading it out over the next 3 seasons, then making up the difference in performance/roster bonus with a built in "raise" raise each year.

That figure is at its current rate. This entire thread has been about what they will do to RESTRUCTURE the contract, so the salary number is reduced, while giving him roster bonus/playing time incentives to recoup much of that $$$$. So that ranking is irrelevant.

I agree with you regarding the extension, and building in future protections in the form of roster bonuses as a way of protecting the organization in the future.

My entire point all along, has been they don't seem to have a problem with paying him the entire total of the contract, provided he is healthy and ON THE FIELD. Regardless of how the fan base feels about what he has "earned" or what he is "worth" in their eyes, the $12.9M is the number that he is "owed" from the contract, and IMO, would be the target of any incentives that are laid out in any restructure.

They are unlikely to guarantee any future $$$ if not part of a roster bonus based on health. And when that happens, they will also have to take into consideration the cap hit in 2016 assuming he received the incentive $$$ in 2015.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
It's about his value to the Rams vs his value on the open market...and yes, his on the field performance AND his injury history are linked to both. There's no denying that.
I don't disagree with that, but it isn't limited to that.

What you stated, is more tied to what the Rams feel is their leverage in these negotiations. But they are also handcuffed to a point that they currently have no better option than bringing Bradford back.

So, IMO, its not as simple to say this is about his "on field performance" combined with his injury history. Its more about them finding a mutually acceptable formula to protect themselves against future injury. Unless they have some behind the scenes deal already worked out to bring in an upgrade at the position, they have been pretty consistent in their comments about what they feel about Bradford's "on field performance" WHEN he is actually on the field.

Maybe I am the naive one here, but I think that Fisher has been steadfast in his support of Bradford as "his guy" when he is healthy. The only variable that has changed that, at this point, is the injury factor. Hence, they protect themselves financially in any restructure. IF he is able to stay on the field, they have never wavered on their support for his "performance".

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That figure is at its current rate. This entire thread has been about what they will do to RESTRUCTURE the contract, so the salary number is reduced, while giving him roster bonus/playing time incentives to recoup much of that $$$$. So that ranking is irrelevant.

I agree with you regarding the extension, and building in future protections in the form of roster bonuses as a way of protecting the organization in the future.

My entire point all along, has been they don't seem to have a problem with paying him the entire total of the contract, provided he is healthy and ON THE FIELD. Regardless of how the fan base feels about what he has "earned" or what he is "worth" in their eyes, the $12.9M is the number that he is "owed" from the contract, and IMO, would be the target of any incentives that are laid out in any restructure.

They are unlikely to guarantee any future $$$ if not part of a roster bonus based on health. And when that happens, they will also have to take into consideration the cap hit in 2016 assuming he received the incentive $$$ in 2015.
Again, just keeping apples to apples.
Right now, he's 8th highest paid QB by base which is adverse to what you said.
Going forward, they will attempt to do something for sure. But make no mistake, other QB in that top 10 list will also be re-structuring to save cap room.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Another thought. What about beyond 2015? Do you redo his deal for one year? What if he lights it up and goes elsewhere?

Or do you extend him? What if he has a career ending injury?

Whatever they do they have to have a viable plan B. They cannot go into next year without someone who's capable of playing more than a handful of games at backup.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Another thought. What about beyond 2015? Do you redo his deal for one year? What if he lights it up and goes elsewhere?

Or do you extend him? What if he has a career ending injury?

Whatever they do they have to have a viable plan B. They cannot go into next year without someone who's capable of playing more than a handful of games at backup.
Therein lies the ultimate issue here. Presently, they have no "plan B" (at least one that they have let on publicly), which is why restructuring Bradford is so important.

As to your other questions, they will most certainly have to extend him into 2016 to make a restructure work. If he stays healthy, they bring him back. Why wouldn't they? If he can't stay healthy, they protect themselves in 2016 by including roster bonuses that are paid ONLY if he is healthy, thereby protecting themselves if he has that "career ending" injury.

And if he earns the roster bonus, his 2016 salary at that point becomes guaranteed. If he doesn't earn it, there is NO 2016 salary to deal with. The only thing at that point that will count against the 2016 cap, will be any incentives earned in 2015.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Going forward, they will attempt to do something for sure. But make no mistake, other QB in that top 10 list will also be re-structuring to save cap room.

So you only real point to this post was to correct me on the semantics of my claim he wasn't a top 10 salary? Gotya

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There's also other QBs who are going to be pushing their way into that list this year... Russell Wilson comes to mind.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think it is so much that Sam is lucky as Snead and Fisher were stupid for not taking a top QB when they had the chance. Even having Garapolo in the wings would be a better option right now and that would have only taken a second round pick. They could have had Bridgewater(although with his frame I think he will be in Sam shoes with a major injury some day). They could have had Bortles. If it was my choice I would have picked Bortles and moved on. QB is the single most important position.
I agree with this.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So you only real point to this post was to correct me on the semantics of my claim he wasn't a top 10 salary? Gotya
Actually no, I was trying to say that we are on the same page, I only entered dialogue with you over that one minor point. No worries and my apologies if you took it the wrong way