Should the Rams re-sign Watkins?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
With all due respect, I believe this is seriously underestimating Watkins' impact on the offense, not just in terms of his future potential to connect with Goff but his present value.

I think Watkins is already a key element in the Rams leading the league in scoring. The reason as others have pointed out is that he commands attention from the D that no other receiver on the roster would get. Without him, sorry, but all we have is a possession passing game, even if it's a capable one, and one that could be shut down by a very good secondary. Watkins is like having a great hitter in the middle of a baseball lineup. It sets everyone else up to succeed. That includes Gurley, our other elite playmaker.

We have waited years for such a receiver, just as we waited years for a QB. Now he has dropped in our lap thanks to Les Snead. Watkins is also just 25 years old. If we let him slide we are not likely to find anyone like him for who knows how many more years. Why wouldn't we sign him? What are we saving the money for? To test the theory that, sure, with Woods and Kupp on their own we can lead the league in offense? Love those guys but it's not happening.

If you want a great team you need at least some elite players. On offense for the Rams that's Gurley, Goff, Watkins and probably Whitworth. That group, with the other players around them, can stand to be compared on some level with the 1999 Rams. Why would we break this group up now when they are just reaching a new and extraordinary level of performance?

Are you saying that Watkins is a “must have”, FarNorth? If so, we disagree.

Or is he a “strong want”? If so, we agree.

My list of must haves is a short one.

Goff
Hekker
Zuerlein

These are players without which we may not win games and make the playoffs. Fortunately, all 3 are under contract and happy.

These are the only Ram players that would simply have to be extended if they were up, no matter the cost.

All others fall into the “strong want” category, at best. For me, anyway.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I think it can't be overstated that what we saw Sunday was the reason they went out and got Watkins...It took a few weeks, but
if this is a harbinger of future results between him and Goff, then they need him a lot...He just blew by the secondary...It was no chance for any of he DBs once he got one step on them...He just flat ran by them...Having said that, if he blows it up the second half, he might bargain his way out of town...Guess we'll see...

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Are you saying that Watkins is a “must have”, FarNorth? If so, we disagree.

Or is he a “strong want”? If so, we agree.

My list of must haves is a short one.

Goff
Hekker
Zuerlein

These are players without which we may not win games and make the playoffs. Fortunately, all 3 are under contract and happy.

These are the only Ram players that would simply have to be extended if they were up, no matter the cost.

All others fall into the “strong want” category, at best. For me, anyway.
To be clear, not to argue: what I'm saying is that with Watkins the Rams have a chance to have a great offense and a great team. Without him, the O will be limited to a good running game and a possession passing game. To me, that's a must have.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To be clear, not to argue: what I'm saying is that with Watkins the Rams have a chance to have a great offense and a great team. Without him, the O will be limited to a good running game and a possession passing game. To me, that's a must have.
That's possible but that's also assuming guys like Reynolds and Thomas can't develop into a deep threat. Or that we don't draft a guy next year. Now I'm all for resigning Sammy, being a Clemson fan I've loved the guy for a long time, but not resigning him is hardly relegating us to mediocrity on offense.

HellRam

Starter
There is no F’ing way The Rams franchise Sammy Watkins !!

Is California Mary J bill pass yet ?? If so pass it my way . Peace

The Rams signed Tru to the tag in back to back years. It's a bigger possibility then you think. If the Rams want to keep Watkins and think a deal may not get done. They may have no choice but to tag him. Why would that be a problem?