Should the Rams re-sign Watkins?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

STLRam

UDFA
Forget about the win and playoffs for a moment. McVay is a beast and has turned this franchise around, we all know.

But man, when Watkins has the ball in his hands, he’s electric after the catch. That play against the 49ers where he caught the ball at around the 10 and stretched out over the goal line after getting mauled by 2 defenders is a perfect example of what I mean. I haven’t seen an effort like that in a long ass time. Not to mention he’s one of the best deep threats in the game. Watkins is such a talented player that I would love for the Rams to resign him.

He hasn’t gotten hurt so far besides 1 minor concussion on that play, and I think we all understand why he says he wants to be targeted more...because he has as much talent as anyone on the team, if not more. He isn’t a selfish piece of shit like Dez, he’s just expressing what most of us think.

And McVay’s system is working by spreading the ball out to everyone. That’s the way he runs things and I’m fine with it. But part of me says if we signed Watkins we would slowly become a bigger part of the offense and the Rams could potentially have the best WR group overall in the NFL.

And for the record, I think the Rams will be fine without resigning Watkins. I just think if Watkins and McVay talk things over about each individual player’s role, Watkins would add a ton to this offense if he and McVay see the same things.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Forget about the win and playoffs for a moment. McVay is a beast and has turned this franchise around, we all know.

But man, when Watkins has the ball in his hands, he’s electric after the catch. That play against the 49ers where he caught the ball at around the 10 and stretched out over the goal line after getting mauled by 2 defenders is a perfect example of what I mean. I haven’t seen an effort like that in a long ass time. Not to mention he’s one of the best deep threats in the game. Watkins is such a talented player that I would love for the Rams to resign him.

He hasn’t gotten hurt so far besides 1 minor concussion on that play, and I think we all understand why he says he wants to be targeted more...because he has as much talent as anyone on the team, if not more. He isn’t a selfish piece of crap like Dez, he’s just expressing what most of us think.

And McVay’s system is working by spreading the ball out to everyone. That’s the way he runs things and I’m fine with it. But part of me says if we signed Watkins we would slowly become a bigger part of the offense and the Rams could potentially have the best WR group overall in the NFL.
Without Sammy, we wouldn't have the number one scoring offense because him taking the number one corner off Woods has been key to our success imo.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Depends on what he wants. He may want to be a central guy like Hopkins in Houston or TY Hilton in Indy. Or, he may want that big payday (and after seeing what happened to OBJ, I don't take issue with any player treating this completely like a business...because once a player is done playing, that's ALL it is)

I would LOVE for us to resign him, especially because that means he'll have a full year in the system and McVay will have a full off-season to integrate him into the offense.

We KNOW that Watkins is a player, he's a tremendous blocker and as we saw today, he's one of the best deep threats in the game today.

But I don't take Watkins over AD who NEEDS to be signed this offseason. Period.

That's my only caveat. AD first.

Beyond that, I absolutely want to re-sign him. And I hope he wants to return. This team has all the earmarks of an ascending team capable of being dynastic insofar as being a team that every year is vying for the SB like the Patriots, Steelers, Seahawks, and Packers.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ask me around Week 17. I want to see what Sammy can do as he and Goff build chemistry and trust (and he gets a better grasp on the scheme).

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Without Sammy, we wouldn't have the number one scoring offense because him taking the number one corner off Woods has been key to our success imo.

And I think most people don't understand just how good both Watkins and Woods are in run support!!!

HellRam

Starter
It doesn't look like Watkins is going to put up big time numbers this season. Obviously he's making a impact. Still though in the open market I think Sammy will get paid get like a top WR by some team.

I wouldn't be shocked if Watkins gets the Trumaine Johnson treatment next season and gets franchised. The Rams will probably want to keep Watkins, they did give up a 2nd for him but a contract might be hard to agree upon if Watkins play/production does not increase. The tag would give the Rams more time to see if they want to commit long term. Possible scenario I could see playing out.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

He hasn’t gotten hurt so far besides 1 minor concussion on that play, and I think we all understand why he says he wants to be targeted more...because he has as much talent as anyone on the team, if not more. He isn’t a selfish piece of crap like Dez, he’s just expressing what most of us think.

And for the record, I think the Rams will be fine without resigning Watkins. I just think if Watkins and McVay talk things over about each individual player’s role, Watkins would add a ton to this offense if he and McVay see the same things.
If the Rams want to be a great team they absolutely need to resign Watkins. I also believe we are just at the beginning of great plays from Goff to Watkins, and at the beginning of an offense which can be significantly better than anything we have seen yet.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If the Rams want to be a great team they absolutely need to resign Watkins. I also believe we are just at the beginning of great plays from Goff to Watkins, and at the beginning of an offense which can be significantly better than anything we have seen yet.

The season will take care of itself!!

It’s WE not ME !!

The Rams have a lot of depth atThe WR position. Don’t any of you Ram fans forget that.

Tavon Austin ??? I didn’t get to see the game & f’d up not recording it.

My believe is Sammy & Goff will build on something special. This Rams team is just settling in.—Philly,KC,& Seattle games are going to be great.

—— Fuck it’s amazing there scheduling!!
I don’t think any Ram fan could actually make the schedule any harder.

The Rams dodge a bullet with Houston.

NO ?? Bree’s & there Defense?? Lucky at home.

Tennessee on the road.They are just getting geared up for the playoffs.the 2nd of a back to back road game.

Seattle at Seattle?? Talk about a big game.Right after playing Philly at home ?? —By This game Ram fans will know what the season will look like.

Minnesota is just coming off a bye week.Everyone wants to talk about Teddy & Bradford.I know though that Case Keenum really knows how to win football games.Jared Goff did get beat out by him & will always be apart of his & The Rams growth. —Fisher & The Rams did the right thing.

At Arizona— you can’t hide from a division game. They are still competing &
should be there biggest game of the season when played.

The Niners by the last game of the season are going to be tough as nails !!
Anyone who doubts that , doesn’t follow the NFC West all that well.This team is young & will be hungry.

Talk about Sammy Watkins for a 2nd rd pick & if stays ? Garloppolo the same thing.

It’s about there future & legacy.Both players have the talent to be pro bowlers especially if they stay with there franchises .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It doesn't look like Watkins is going to put up big time numbers this season. Obviously he's making a impact. Still though in the open market I think Sammy will get paid get like a top WR by some team.

I wouldn't be shocked if Watkins gets the Trumaine Johnson treatment next season and gets franchised. The Rams will probably want to keep Watkins, they did give up a 2nd for him but a contract might be hard to agree upon if Watkins play/production does not increase. The tag would give the Rams more time to see if they want to commit long term. Possible scenario I could see playing out.

There is no F’ing way The Rams franchise Sammy Watkins !!

Is California Mary J bill pass yet ?? If so pass it my way . Peace

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Ask me around Week 17. I want to see what Sammy can do as he and Goff build chemistry and trust (and he gets a better grasp on the scheme).

There are questions to be answered.

Sammy is a great fit for the 2017 Rams season.. There is no doubt about that.
His future past this season will be the bigger question after the season.

Just the growth of the team. The way McVay dealt with this so called Diva attitude. —Hope it becomes Vogue & The Rams won the Super Bowl.

Sammy is still young & learning the game. He is trying to find (define) his game. Goff is young & finding his game as well.The development he is getting from McVay & The Rams(coaches,players) organization is priceless for his career.

…..

Legend
It's too early to tell. Conventional wisdom would suggest that we have given a 2nd for him and would want to keep him around for return on investment. But Sammy may want to play in an offense where he is featured more.

Let's enjoy the season, the question will likely answer itself over the 2nd half of the season.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

The statement about one player absolutely making The Rams great is Goff, only because of the meaning of a franchise QB to an NFL team.
The Rams gave up a Heck of a lot more to have Goff on the team than Sammy Watkins .
Just look at what Snead has done to improve the WR position?? Pharoh Copper is even seriously Balling.
The Rams are carrying 3 QB’s so there you go as of 1 player me vs 3 players We ?? It’s next player up & try to get better every day

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Resign Watkins?

163.gif

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think so, primarily because Goff will be a bargain for the next 3-4 years or so, so giving Sammy a frontloaded 5 year deal worth an average of $12 mil per year should work for us..

But, we have real coaching now - and Reynolds flashed in a ton in camp, Woods is a monster, Kupp will only get better, and Cooper and Tavon are good with the ball in their hands but can barely get on the field because of the plethora of play makers..

If for some reason it came to TruJo or Sammy (we should have cap for both), I would go for TruJo at this point.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Now that he's got his 1st "Deep-Ball TD" from Goff I think we'll see Watkins scoring more. As long as he understands it's "We-Not-Me!"

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Seattle at Seattle?? Talk about a big game.Right after playing Philly at home ?? —By This game Ram fans will know what the season will look like.
By the time we get to the Hags game I expect the Rams will have at least a two game lead over the Hags, sitting on Top of the NFC West, and the Game will be almost meaningless! ALMOST!!:mrburnsevil: