Should the Rams re-sign Watkins?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Is there a shortage of Ram receivers under contract in 2018? I don't think we have a problem with our receiver unit in 2018 or for yrs afterwards.

#1-Robert Woods
#2-Tavon Austin
#3-Pharoh Cooper
#4-Tyler Higbee
#5-Temarrick Hemingway
#6-Gerald Everett
#7-Cooper Kupp
#8-Mike Thomas
#9-Josh Reynolds

In comparison to how many CB's are under contract in 2018?

#1-Kayvon Webster (presently our 2nd corner & will be a UFA in 2019)
#2-Dominique Hatfield (presently our 5th corner)

Looks to me there is a real big issue here @ our CB unit.

Do we understand that DT Aaron Donald will not be a UFA in March 2018?

Last edited:

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Rams are averaging 32 points per game. 32 points per game. Incredible. Bring the entire starting O back for 2018.

This!!!!

We are #1 in scoring for a reason. Defenses don't know who to cover. Gurley, Watkins, Woods, Austin, Kupp? That's a hell of a list guys. That's why McVay likes to spread around the ball. Gives us options when defenses decide to shut down a part of our game, we beat them with another piece of the arsenal.

I think a more important topic is who's gonna take over for Whit and Sully when the time comes? Right now we have DW backing him up. That scares the shit outta me. While I think our coaches would get the most out of our backups i know for a fact he can't even hold Big Whits jock strap.

Ellard80

Legend
I know nobody agrees with me, but I still feel Tavon can still be a legit deep threat and slot receiver. I mean really, is his route running that bad that he can’t get open? I find that hard to believe, especially with McVay now in charge. Imagine Tavon catching the ball wide open in the middle of the field where a lot of Woods’s catches have been...he’d juke defenders every time.

I guess I’m dreaming but I don’t know why Tavon hasn’t been what we expected him to be. I have no problem with the way McVay is running the offense, and Tavon is a big part of it regardless of if he gets the ball or not. I still think he’s special and capable of so much more.

Tavon can't catch the ball... last game they even had to have another receiver catch the ball ant then flip it to him... I'm only being partially facetious...

Tavon still has some use but it has to be at a much better price.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
This!!!!

I think a more important topic is who's gonna take over for Whit and Sully when the time comes? Right now we have DW backing him up. That scares the crap outta me. While I think our coaches would get the most out of our backups i know for a fact he can't even hold Big Whits jock strap.

Actually, Cornelius Lucas is listed as Whitworth's back-up at LT, Darrel Williams became Havenstein's reserve at RT while the Rams were trying to figure out who or whether Hav or Brown would win the starting RT/RG roles early in the season and late pre-season. Williams was injured during the 2016 season and didn't perform well, but he looked quite good while healthy in 2015. I'm more concerned about how little we know about Lucas with his lack of snaps this pre-season. There has still been no word on or any media reporting on Andrew Donnal's status, as he was once penciled in as a RT/OG swing reserve before what seems to have become a blackout on his viability. Donald has been a ghost throughout the pre-season and remains so up till the present time.
Sullivan is not a worry for me as he has had a very solid season and is likely a slam dunk to be re-signed, Blythe appears to be a much better back-up Center than our Rams have had around here for several years.
Whitworth won't be going anywhere for awhile, and the 2018 draft looks pretty deep for recruiting a potential eventual replacement, I imagine if we pick one up in this next draft, he would become an OG while waiting his turn at LT. Still, i'm holding out for a 1'st round CB for the time being. jmo.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
If Sammy is 100% over his foot issue and willing to sign a long term cap friendly deal, then yes I would appreciate keeping him together with Woods & Kupp.

________
sammy-watkins-acb1afca15967cea.jpg

gettyimages-870590928.jpg

AP_17309696432334.jpg

Memphis Ram

Legend
Quite frankly, given the finances that will be involved and young talent already on the roster, I wouldn't be opposed to the Rams letting Watkins walk (hopefully, they could get a good comp pick), cutting Austin (unless he agreed to a paycut), and signing soon to be free agent Taylor Gabriel which would give the team it's deep threat and potential gadget guy in one cheaper package. But, that's just me.
:hiding:

Last edited:

JRobinson

MiLB
I personally want Watkins on this team. Why? Because he has the ability to take over a game if the coverage allows it. Dude is a special talent.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Quite frankly, given the finances that will be involved and young talent already on the roster, I wouldn't be opposed to the Rams letting Watkins walk (hopefully, they could get a good comp pick), cutting Austin (unless he agreed to a paycut), and signing soon to be free agent Taylor Gabriel which would give the team it's deep threat and potential gadget guy in one cheaper package. But, that's just me.
:hiding:
I like the math but don’t see where Gabriel replaces the jet sweep Austin does so well. Wouldn’t mind seeing Pharoh get a crack at it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I like the math but don’t see where Gabriel replaces the jet sweep Austin does so well. Wouldn’t mind seeing Pharoh get a crack at it.

Who would have thought a few months back that a 4th round pick in 2016 named Pharoh Cooper could steal the Punt Return assignment away from Tavon Austin??

Wonder what NFL team is leading the NFL in both Kickoff & Punt Returns?
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...erence=ALL&role=TM&season=2017&seasonType=REG

Who here wants to say that Copper is incapable of taking TA's part time assignments on those end sweeps away from him. I guarantee that Cooper will not run out of bounds, or run out of bounds five yards before the defender gets close to him either in order to avoid a boo boo.

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I appreciate your opinion, but must disagree. How long had the Rams gone without a legitimate # 1 WR ? Not one since the days of Holt & Bruce. 3 failed coaches since Martz, and in every draft and thru all the free agency periods, ... nothing. It's a new era with McVay and he managed to magically snatch a top ranked WR in no-time flat, ... perhaps some may believe at a steep price with our 2'nd round draft pick in 2018 and CB EJ Gaines. Thing is, it will only be steep if we somehow manage to let him get away from us by not paying a true # 1 WR his worth. His cost will be well in-line once McVay has consistently proven to be a winning team manager, and Snead/Demoff aren't likely to give the house away on a lopsided contract. And this being a throwing league which the Rams have failed miserably to establish year in and year out. Sammy is learning a new system and now at mid-season looks to be coming into his own. I'm not nearly as interested in his stats today as to what he's done for the team overall and where he might take us in upcoming years. Being only 24 y.o. and with his potential to grow into this system along with Goff, Woods, Kupp, Cooper, Everett, Higbee & Reynolds, perhaps even the IR'd Hemingway in 2018, ... it should be fantasy land for us Rams fans at this moment. Watkins blocks, he pulls the defense out of stacking the box on Gurley, and he's a downfield threat who requires extra coverage while freeing up team-mates. Losing Watkins would mean being on the hunt for another elusive # 1 for how long ? The Rams are probably a pretty decent receiving team without him, with Watkins & his young mates, a great receiving team isn't out of the realm for our potential in the very near future. Watkins wouldn't be on the team if McVay thought him a poor locker room choice or a diva as so many at his position can be, and Watkins will find himself hard pressed to find another coach with McVay's seemingly 'midas' touch at such an early age, and someone actually relatable to his players. Watkins has street cred, other players know what he's capable of and respect his abilities, without him we may find a replacement of some kind, but doubtful he comes here overnight at less cost and with an immediate validity. Sorry, but i'd rather not wait another decade for a true #1 WR. jmo.

I don’t want to repeat myself, River.

For me, this Watkins decision is simple.

He is a “strong want” but not a “must have”. If the Rams can keep him at a reasonable price, they will. If not, he walks and the Rams move on with Reynolds, Pharoh Cooper, and Thomas.

There is only one football and McVay likes to see 6-8 different guys catching Goff’s passes each game. Whether Watkins stays or goes, this McVay O doesn’t revolve around him.

Sooooo...

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

He is a “strong want” but not a “must have”. If the Rams can keep him at a reasonable price, they will. If not, he walks and the Rams move on with Reynolds, Pharoh Cooper, and Thomas.

There is only one football and McVay likes to see 6-8 different guys catching Goff’s passes each game. Whether Watkins stays or goes, this McVay O doesn’t revolve around him.

Sooooo...

That's fine, as I said, I appreciate your opinion, just happen to disagree. If Watkins were to hold out for 'stupid' money, this all becomes a moot point anyway. Demoff won't overpay, but i'm equally sure he's cognizant of the necessity for paying a true # 1 WR his value to the team. Having a deep WR corps is very well and good, but it doesn't reflect 'all things being equal' if we lose our # 1. Watkins is far more than a decoy, although to some extent all # 1's have this ability, and when he's unavailable, the entire team suffers as a result. If this were Watkins 3'rd year as a Ram, I might be more inclined to pay attention to his current stats, but as young as the entire receiving corps is coupled with a 22 year old QB all learning a new system under a new Head Coach, I have to look deeper than TD's, number of receptions and yards. Seeing the whole picture for me means how he contributes in other ways also, and whether we see improvement week in and week out. The fact that the Rams spread the ball around successfully is a good thing, so Watkins may never be that one guy leading his team on the stat sheet, although being who and what he is can stop a defense from stacking the box, and definitely opens other opportunities for fellow receivers. jmo.

Last edited:

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
@Riverumbbq @Rams43

I just wholeheartedly hope that this team becomes a dynasty where players just want to play more for the championships, and not so much for the money. Things could flip in favor for both sides if we achieve that prestige status. We can only wait and see.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
@Riverumbbq @Rams43

I just wholeheartedly hope that this team becomes a dynasty where players just want to play more for the championships, and not so much for the money. Things could flip in favor for both sides if we achieve that prestige status. We can only wait and see.

While I agree this is desirable, i'm not sure how practical it is for our current Rams. Seems to me the only guys somewhat willing to discount their services are older players on a final contract seeking play-off caliber teams in hope for that last opportunity for a Super Bowl ring. The Rams are the 2'nd youngest team in the league and have done nothing for more than a decade, California also has higher state income taxes than most other states, all suggesting we may have to pay a bit more to keep our elite players. I can live with paying guys like Donald & Watkins a premium so long as we are consistently successful in keeping payroll down thru the effective use of the draft and free agency. The Rams were either very lucky or very skillful (perhaps some of both) with 3 phases of hiring this past off-season with the recruiting of coaching, the draft & free agency in 2017, ... hopefully the McVay/Snead partnership can make this their legacy going forward as well. jmo.

nighttrain

Legend

Sooooo...
our underneath passing game would be nowhere without Watkins taking the top off
train

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
successful in keeping payroll down thru the effective use of the draft and free agency.

And this is why I hate Bellicheat, because he is a damn genius, and he knows how to be a cheap bastard and still build consistent winners. I myself want to keep Watkins because he is a long term investment for years to come.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
That's fine, as I said, I appreciate your opinion, just happen to disagree. If Watkins were to hold out for 'stupid' money, this all becomes a moot point anyway. Demoff won't overpay, but i'm equally sure he's cognizant of the necessity for paying a true # 1 WR his value to the team. Having a deep WR corps is very well and good, but it doesn't reflect 'all things being equal' if we lose our # 1. Watkins is far more than a decoy, although to some extent all # 1's have this ability, and when he's unavailable, the entire team suffers as a result. If this were Watkins 3'rd year as a Ram, I might be more inclined to pay attention to his current stats, but as young as the entire receiving corps is coupled with a 22 year old QB all learning a new system under a new Head Coach, I have to look deeper than TD's, number of receptions and yards. Seeing the whole picture for me means how he contributes in other ways also, and whether we see improvement week in and week out. The fact that the Rams spread the ball around successfully is a good thing, so Watkins may never be that one guy leading his team on the stat sheet, although being who and what he is can stop a defense from stacking the box, and definitely opens other opportunities for fellow receivers. jmo.

Sounds like we’re not in disagreement then, River.

We both want to retain Watkins.

We both want to pay him a reasonable price to do so.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Without Sammy, we wouldn't have the number one scoring offense because him taking the number one corner off Woods has been key to our success imo.
And, deciding if someone other than Watkins can do this is the real question to me.

Ask me around Week 17. I want to see what Sammy can do as he and Goff build chemistry and trust (and he gets a better grasp on the scheme).
^^^^ THIS ^^^^

Once the season is over and they know more, they can decide what to do next.

jap

Legend
This!!!!

We are #1 in scoring for a reason. Defenses don't know who to cover. Gurley, Watkins, Woods, Austin, Kupp? That's a hell of a list guys. That's why McVay likes to spread around the ball. Gives us options when defenses decide to shut down a part of our game, we beat them with another piece of the arsenal.

It's not so much that they don't know who to cover: it's that they simply cannot cover everyone adequately. How many CBs can take away a Sammy Watkins, a Robert Woods, or a Cooper Kupp 1-on-1? Even tiny Tavon can be a matchup nightmare for a single CB with his electric speed & quickness. Then you have those TE's to deal with and Gurley coming out of the backfield. You throw 7 DBs on the field and you better believe that Todd or Tavon will get the rock with big blockers to mow down those DBs.

I think a more important topic is who's gonna take over for Whit and Sully when the time comes? Right now we have DW backing him up. That scares the crap outta me. While I think our coaches would get the most out of our backups i know for a fact he can't even hold Big Whits jock strap.

I trust Professor Kromer and Les' scouting team with finding and selecting appropriate talent for our Battering Ram OL as well as teaching them how to play the game properly at this level.

Last edited:

MachS

Hall of Fame
Did anyone hear Sammy's post game interview when he was talking about finally connecting on another deep ball. He said all receivers have their own unique speed on how they run certain routes. The tough part for a QB is learning each individuals route style and their game speed.

I think it's safe to say Jared and Sammy still don't have this down yet. Can you imagine when Goff and him are in complete sync and hitting maybe 50-75% of the balls we go up top on?

It's going to take more than 6-7 weeks to master this but Im curious to see how this relationship evolves as the season goes on.

I get sticking to your reads and going through your progressions, but I thought Jared would look to Sammy more than he has been.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

Sooooo...
With all due respect, I believe this is seriously underestimating Watkins' impact on the offense, not just in terms of his future potential to connect with Goff but his present value.

I think Watkins is already a key element in the Rams leading the league in scoring. The reason as others have pointed out is that he commands attention from the D that no other receiver on the roster would get. Without him, sorry, but all we have is a possession passing game, even if it's a capable one, and one that could be shut down by a very good secondary. Watkins is like having a great hitter in the middle of a baseball lineup. It sets everyone else up to succeed. That includes Gurley, our other elite playmaker.

We have waited years for such a receiver, just as we waited years for a QB. Now he has dropped in our lap thanks to Les Snead. Watkins is also just 25 years old. If we let him slide we are not likely to find anyone like him for who knows how many more years. Why wouldn't we sign him? What are we saving the money for? To test the theory that, sure, with Woods and Kupp on their own we can lead the league in offense? Love those guys but it's not happening.

If you want a great team you need at least some elite players. On offense for the Rams that's Gurley, Goff, Watkins and probably Whitworth. That group, with the other players around them, can stand to be compared on some level with the 1999 Rams. Why would we break this group up now when they are just reaching a new and extraordinary level of performance?