Should Rams Fans Expect a Wild Trade for A QB --PFT

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Frogbelly

Rookie
Name
Frogbelly
Imo so long as Fisher is still the HC our QB problem will continue. He needs to get with the program and step into the present day NFL.
All that is needed is for Fisher to get his nose out of the offense all together. Get a decent OC and let him bring in a qb to run his system.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The $64,000 question is...........do we have a franchise QB in this draft?
I agree with you Les. IF there was a franchise QB, and they are as sure as they were about Gurley last year..Snead, do your thing.
If not? Grab the best WR in the 1st round. We don't a reach for a QB that may be no better than Mannion.
1st Round : WR?
2nd Round TE, DE, MLB
2rd Round TE, DE, or MLB

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
2013 - 60.4%
2014 - 62.1%
2015 - 64.5%

Still curious about your statement. He has not had a sub 60% season and has improved over the 3 years.

An accuracy chart of the top QBs: LINK

A good article on him for those who don't like watching film: LINK

And it is important to note the guy has played well without great protection. He is gonna be a star, barring injury of course.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
An accuracy chart of the top QBs: LINK

A good article on him for those who don't like watching film: LINK

And it is important to note the guy has played well without great protection. He is gonna be a star, barring injury of course.
Great article on him. Hadn't seen that thanks. First time I watched him I was sold on him, his footwork is a thing of beauty and became my man crush right away.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I agree with you Les. IF there was a franchise QB, and they are as sure as they were about Gurley last year..Snead, do your thing.
If not? Grab the best WR in the 1st round. We don't a reach for a QB that may be no better than Mannion.
1st Round : WR?
2nd Round TE, DE, MLB
2rd Round TE, DE, or MLB
Then you should love this mock.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft/expert/dane-brugler

I still maintain that if the Rams miss on a QB they will go for smart major cap $$$ relief in their DL. By selecting a DLer it will assist them greatly in their pending future cap issues in their DL with getting being able to get both Brockers & Donald resigned. By drafting & letting the draft come to them they could land another Aaron Donald or Robert Quinn that gives them great options in contract deals on that DL where way out of line contracts come into play.This draft is seriously heavy in top DL talent. Rams should go with this as option B.

WR's not so much. Rams have a small % of cap funds tied up in their receivers. They can go for 1 to 2 WR's in free agency at a moderate short term deal with a small amount of cap funds invested & tied up for long period of time. By 2018 they can be in a good position to do a deal with Tavon Austin. I recommend the use of one of those 3 second day 2016 draft picks to land you a talented WR.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
2013 - 60.4%
2014 - 62.1%
2015 - 64.5%

Still curious about your statement. He has not had a sub 60% season and has improved over the 3 years.

I don't mean accuracy in "did the WR catch the ball" because that means next to nothing at the NFL level. The windows are SIGNIFICANTLY smaller, the timing is substantially tighter and the placement for a host of reasons has to be spot on a lot more of the time.

Look at RG3 as an example. He had a completion percentage of nearly 70%. And? The problem was that he didn't need to do the things that Pro QBs needed to do no matter how much his fans protested that he would learn. When he got to the Pros, his first season, he mostly ran his way to success with limited pass requirements. When he was forced to play as strictly a pocket QB, he suffered mightily (unlike Donovan McNabb later in his career who had perhaps the best game of his career on a badly sprained ankle that barely allowed him to walk to the LOS)

I'm not saying that Goff can't.

I'm saying that it concerns me.

Remember, almost EVERY throw in the NFL is contested, with someone closing on the pass. Almost every one. How often do we see passes in college with no one within 5 yards of the WR? Now think... If the ball were a little behind the receiver in the pros, is that still a completion? Probably not. Might even be an INT.

Jameis Winston found out that difference all to quickly the first five games of the season and there were plenty who said he was the most pro ready QB to come out since Luck. Dude got ravaged as a rookie QB those first five games and it took serious adjustments and the re-emergence of Doug Martin to allow him to catch up to the speed of the game and understand how different the Pro game is. His "accuracy" in college wasn't a question of the "completion" stat in college.

So, yeah, I have concerns about Goff. He's not off my list, but I have concerns. I have concerns about all of them, frankly.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
To add to that, I think Wentz is like the next Roethlisberger without the baggage (I'll just leave it there. Remember, after the scandal, Pittsburgh offered Big Ben to us for a 3rd rounder and we said, NO. We took Bradford instead. Instead of Big Ben. Now as a human being and a father and on every other platform, I say YAY! As a football move, it was a total forehead slapper. You turn down Big Ben for a 3rd? That said, I was against it mightily at the time and I woulda screamed like a mad hatter if they did it, so I'll be honest and consistent about it. But I know a lot of people might not know or remember that. The Rooneys were pissed about it that they made a formal offer to the Rams for their 3rd rounder.)

Anyway, imagining this offense with Gurley and a Big Ben type of QB with our D? That, my friends means multiple SB runs... All we need then is a WR and TE. We have the "weapon" in TA, so we'd be awfully close to one of those "Dynastic" type runs...

Yeah, of all the QBs, I prefer Wentz for a number of reasons.

I'll root for whomever, but I think Wentz would be the best for us. If we go QB, that is... I'm still not so sure Mannion isn't our guy...

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I don't mean accuracy in "did the WR catch the ball" because that means next to nothing at the NFL level. The windows are SIGNIFICANTLY smaller, the timing is substantially tighter and the placement for a host of reasons has to be spot on a lot more of the time.

Look at RG3 as an example. He had a completion percentage of nearly 70%. And? The problem was that he didn't need to do the things that Pro QBs needed to do no matter how much his fans protested that he would learn. When he got to the Pros, his first season, he mostly ran his way to success with limited pass requirements. When he was forced to play as strictly a pocket QB, he suffered mightily (unlike Donovan McNabb later in his career who had perhaps the best game of his career on a badly sprained ankle that barely allowed him to walk to the LOS)

I'm not saying that Goff can't.

I'm saying that it concerns me.

Remember, almost EVERY throw in the NFL is contested, with someone closing on the pass. Almost every one. How often do we see passes in college with no one within 5 yards of the WR? Now think... If the ball were a little behind the receiver in the pros, is that still a completion? Probably not. Might even be an INT.

Jameis Winston found out that difference all to quickly the first five games of the season and there were plenty who said he was the most pro ready QB to come out since Luck. Dude got ravaged as a rookie QB those first five games and it took serious adjustments and the re-emergence of Doug Martin to allow him to catch up to the speed of the game and understand how different the Pro game is. His "accuracy" in college wasn't a question of the "completion" stat in college.

So, yeah, I have concerns about Goff. He's not off my list, but I have concerns. I have concerns about all of them, frankly.
Ok that makes more sense.

Compared to the rest in the draft how would you rate him on that?

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Jerry will take your picks. There will be a QB at #4.
Screenshot_2016-02-04-17-54-29-1-1.jpg

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I'd say in order

1) Wentz
2) Goff
3) Lynch

Lynch could potentially surpass Goff with superior interviews and amazing Combine and Pro Day/individual workouts because he showed that he knows how to not give up the ball and teams covet the QB that won't turn the ball over. However, as of right now, he's behind Goff because of the mental side of the game.

Goff, otoh, has an issue being compared to Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers was slim coming out? Well, he also sat for FOUR YEARS behind Brett Favre. Anyone think the slim Goff is gonna get four years to mature and learn while his body matures? Yeah, me neither. Would Aaron Rodgers be Aaron Rodgers if his body had to take that pounding as a rookie? I honestly don't think so.

Goff has TREMENDOUS upside, no doubt. And it may actually help him to be with a coach like Fisher and Boras who will want him to allow the game to slow down and won't rely on him for 65% of the offense from the jump. Rookie QBs who only need to be effective for half of the offense (Russell Wilson comes to mind) tend to fare far better than Rookie QBs who are the focal point.

That said, I like Wentz for his total package, big arm, accuracy (and not just completion package), touch (rare for a big QB), big body, elusiveness in the pocket and his ability to even run it now and again. He's not Cam Newton or anything, but he's like 85% Big Ben, 15% Cam. A combo like that in a Boras offense with Todd Gurley? That's crazy to me. We've seen that when everyone's healthy in Pittsburgh's offense with Le'Veon Bell, that it's the best in the NFL and I think Gurley is BETTER than Bell.

I still like Mannion for all the reasons I like Wentz to be honest. That said, IF we are going to go for a QB, I think it's Wentz and second isn't really all that close.

Now, if you're looking to replace Drew Brees in NO, I'd say it's Goff... and it's not close because that's the fit.

I just think Wentz fits what we do and what we need better than a glove... like one of the last pieces of the Lombardi puzzle...

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Yeah I think so. Which is why I'm gonna be so p!$$#d if the Rams don't come out of this draft with one.

It doesn't make sense for Fisher to go after a QB in the draft since it's a pick that won't help him save his job. But it makes a lot of sense for the Rams and their new beginning in LA. It needs to happen for the future of this organization. Stop the madness!
What makes you confident that there is THAT guy in the draft, that the Rams have the draft capital to get him and that he can win a SB in his first year in the league?

I still don't see a QB in this draft that can be that good year one maybe not possibly until year 3.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
For the Rams... and this is a question of fit... the ONLY guy I think could do that with the Rams is Wentz.

I think the Rams may consider trading up...pretty far up, actually. But if Hue Jackson takes Wentz, I don't think the Rams trade up AT ALL and let the draft fall to them. I think they'll go BPA which means no QBs.

That's my take at this early spot.

Lynch and Goff can make their case in their pro days and at the Combine, but that's my take at this time.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
All that is needed is for Fisher to get his nose out of the offense all together. Get a decent OC and let him bring in a qb to run his system.
That is preposterous.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What makes you confident that there is THAT guy in the draft, that the Rams have the draft capital to get him and that he can win a SB in his first year in the league?

I still don't see a QB in this draft that can be that good year one maybe not possibly until year 3.

Taking a team to the Super Bowl in his rookie season is not a metric of a high QB selection. In my memory only Marino accomplished such a thing. What you call that is unrealistic and thankfully the Rams won't stack them based on that.

Here is what I think...

Goff will be an elite QB in this league. Wentz and Lynch have even more raw talent, both are top ten type QBs who will succeed if they do the work. Both are great young men and hard workers too.

Of that next tier Cook is readiest to start in this class but is risky and does not have the ceiling of the above. Prescott has worked his butt off to improve as a passer and might be a starter at some point.

Next tier down are a lot of big QBs with good arms. The depth of them is very good.

I like this QB class very much. And the good thing is we will see on draft day what the league thinks of them.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Taking a team to the Super Bowl in his rookie season is not a metric of a high QB selection. In my memory only Marino accomplished such a thing. What you call that is unrealistic and thankfully the Rams won't stack them based on that.

Here is what I think...

Goff will be an elite QB in this league. Wentz and Lynch have even more raw talent, both are top ten type QBs who will succeed if they do the work. Both are great young men and hard workers too.

Of that next tier Cook is readiest to start in this class but is risky and does not have the ceiling of the above. Prescott has worked his butt off to improve as a passer and might be a starter at some point.

Next tier down are a lot of big QBs with good arms. The depth of them is very good.

I like this QB class very much. And the good thing is we will see on draft day what the league thinks of them.
I'm a little surprised that Fisher has not gotten a contract extension already, that makes me think he isn't as interested in selling out for Goff. He needs a winner this year to get that new contract and I don't see him leaning on a rookie QB to get that done.

Does it mean they won't draft one? Who knows. Does it mean he won't sell the farm to get Goff? I would say the odds are much more favorable in this scenario being reality. There are just too many unknowns with free agency to understand what the needs might be when they get to the draft. I hate the idea of drafting for need and would prefer they stick to their board but it isn't beyond them to set up their draft to fill holes. Look at last year's flood of O-linemen.

Keenum, Mannion and God forbid Foles with a rookie who won't play and will take up a high draft pick that could be #1 WR, MLB, LDE???Who thinks this team is going to pass on players like that?

Not me, nor would I want them to.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I'd say in order

1) Wentz
2) Goff
3) Lynch

I'm just wondering how you can rate a player like Wentz higher than the other 2 when he only has 600 something career pass attempts (Goff has over 1200) and against a lower level of competition?

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I'm just wondering how you can rate a player like Wentz higher than the other 2 when he only has 600 something career pass attempts (Goff has over 1200) and against a lower level of competition?

Well a big reason for the large difference in pass attempts is the system they played in, which is actually something that a lot of people would use to argue why Wentz is better. As for the lower level competition, I personally think that whole argument is overrated, especially for QBs. Its not like QBs have a 1on1 matchup like lineman or a wr vs cb where being a far superior talent makes you look much better. Its not like Wentz was playing with Alabama vs FCS schools. There was equal talent (for the most part) among the teams so he still had to deal with pressure, lack of separation by wrs, etc. Now playing against lesser talented defenses may have allowed him to get away with things that FBS QBs couldnt, (i.e. late throws not being broke on by DB, not having to sell fakes as hard, etc), but those things would still show up on film

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Well a big reason for the large difference in pass attempts is the system they played in, which is actually something that a lot of people would use to argue why Wentz is better. As for the lower level competition, I personally think that whole argument is overrated, especially for QBs. Its not like QBs have a 1on1 matchup like lineman or a wr vs cb where being a far superior talent makes you look much better. Its not like Wentz was playing with Alabama vs FCS schools. There was equal talent (for the most part) among the teams so he still had to deal with pressure, lack of separation by wrs, etc. Now playing against lesser talented defenses may have allowed him to get away with things that FBS QBs couldnt, (i.e. late throws not being broke on by DB, not having to sell fakes as hard, etc), but those things would still show up on film

To support your point on FCS QB's being able to transition to the NFL, Kurt Warner and Joe Flacco leap to mind. Both played FCS college ball, and both have a Super Bowl ring. So with that in mind, one shouldn't automatically consider Wentz' career at ND State as a knock against him.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To support your point on FCS QB's being able to transition to the NFL, Kurt Warner and Joe Flacco leap to mind. Both played FCS college ball, and both have a Super Bowl ring. So with that in mind, one shouldn't automatically consider Wentz' career at ND State as a knock against him.

Well, it's a knock - just not an automatic disqualification. It is possible to go on to a NFL career while having played in college against inferior competition. Of course, Warner took a few years before being ready to play in the NFL. The bigger point is that the success rate is lower for FCS QBs.

Wentz looks like he will be good. However, he did do it in college against a lower level of competition, and with a team that was dominant before he came along - and which is likely to have a higher level of talent surrounding him than the talent of teams opposing him. Maybe he overcomes that - I think he will. But it is a legitimate concern.