Should Rams Fans Expect a Wild Trade for A QB --PFT

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I've wondered if he could be the late bloomer type. Ryan Fitzpatrick just had one of those kind of seasons too, where he looked pretty good.
Unfortunately Keenum, is neither the athlete, nor has the arm talent of Alex Smith, or Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Now here's the bummer, you can't find a comp, because there isn't one playing in the NFL. Keenum is a backup at best.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I have serious questions about Goff. Accuracy doesn't improve going from college to the NFL as a rule.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The $64,000 question is...........do we have a franchise QB in this draft?

Yeah I think so. Which is why I'm gonna be so p!$$#d if the Rams don't come out of this draft with one.

It doesn't make sense for Fisher to go after a QB in the draft since it's a pick that won't help him save his job. But it makes a lot of sense for the Rams and their new beginning in LA. It needs to happen for the future of this organization. Stop the madness!

fearsomefour

Legend
I like Keenum as a back up quite a bit. A sixteen game starter.....could get scary.
The problem I have is I haven't fallen in love with any of the rookies in the draft and don't see a practical answer through FA.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Right now, I don't think they trade up. They will use a third round pick on someone like Dak Prescott, cut Foles and move Mannion to second string. Right now Mayock has Prescott as his fifth rated passer and many people say he really showed improvements as a passer this year. This lets them plug some holes with the first three picks with guys like Ragland, Coleman, and Boyd.

Right g html now there is only one guy to trade up for imo: Goff

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I have serious questions about Goff. Accuracy doesn't improve going from college to the NFL as a rule.
But he doesnt have accuracy problems. Did you watch his bowl game where he dropped dimes like he was making it rain at a strip club?

jap

Legend

Actually, accuracy does tend to improve going to the NFL---it almost has to. The big windows QBs see at the collegiate level gets much smaller & tighter in the NFL. QBs simply have to learn how to fit the rock through a tinier hole. The accuracy gain in the NFL may not be reflected in the completion percentage because the DBs are so much better. However, if you take the typical NFL QB and place him on a collegiate team, he would have a field day every game.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Actually, accuracy does tend to improve going to the NFL---it almost has to. The big windows QBs see at the collegiate level gets much smaller & tighter in the NFL. QBs simply have to learn how to fit the rock through a tinier hole. The accuracy gain in the NFL may not be reflected in the completion percentage because the DBs are so much better. However, if you take the typical NFL QB and place him on a collegiate team, he would have a field day every game.

I think what he's trying to say is if a qb had a low completion percentage in college against players that most likely won't make it to the nfl he sure as hell isn't going to improve it in the nfl where he will face the best of the best.

Remember when people were talking up qbs like Boller and locker. I'd you're not accurate you won't make it in the nfl.

jap

Legend
I think what he's trying to say is if a qb had a low completion percentage in college against players that most likely won't make it to the nfl he sure as hell isn't going to improve it in the nfl where he will face the best of the best.

Remember when people were talking up qbs like Boller and locker. I'd you're not accurate you won't make it in the nfl.

Yes, I get what he was saying. My point is that completion percentage and true accuracy are not one and the same, no matter how much the talking heads may pretend they are. Even the so-called accurate passers have to upgrade & refine their accuracy even more when they come to the NFL.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
The $64,000 question is...........do we have a franchise QB in this draft?
IMO.... No. I was going to make this same point. People are getting on the QB hype train and it seems to happen every year. Problem is, there aren't "franchise QBs" in the draft every year. WR with the #1 please. And PLEASE let that pick be Treadwell!!

jap

Legend
IMO.... No. I was going to make this same point. People are getting on the QB hype train and it seems to happen every year. Problem is, there aren't "franchise QBs" in the draft every year. WR with the #1 please. And PLEASE let that pick be Treadwell!!

. . . but, but, but Goff is supposed to be a nascent Aaron Rodgers-esque talent. :thinking:

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I guess the great unknown is just exactly how do the Rams feel about Mannion, do they feel there are substantial upgrades worthy of their top 2 or 3 picks (assuming that's what it will take) I'm not so sure.

Then again,to me it's not a good sign he never saw the field last year (yeah I'm aware that was the plan according to Fisher)

nighttrain

Legend
. . . but, but, but Goff is supposed to be a nascent Aaron Rodgers-esque talent. :thinking:
looked like it to me, trade our 1st and both 2nd s if thats what it takes to move ahead of Cleveland
I guess the great unknown is just exactly how do the Rams feel about Mannion, do they feel there are substantial upgrades worthy of their top 2 or 3 picks (assuming that's what it will take) I'm not so sure.

Then again,to me it's not a good sign he never saw the field last year (yeah I'm aware that was the plan according to Fisher)
another stupid move by Fisher
train

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
looked like it to me, trade our 1st and both 2nd s if thats what it takes to move ahead of Cleveland
Oh please NO. This team has other needs that need to be addressed. Selling our draft for Jared friggin Goff does not seem like a good idea to me. Go get Treadwell and lets see what a stud WR to go with TA looks like. I can almost guarantee you he will make whoever is behind center look a LOT better. Weapons....

nighttrain

Legend
Oh please NO. This team has other needs that need to be addressed. Selling our draft for Jared friggin Goff does not seem like a good idea to me. Go get Treadwell and lets see what a stud WR to go with TA looks like. I can almost guarantee you he will make whoever is behind center look a LOT better. Weapons....
agree with you about better weapons, but still dont like our QB situation, maybe Wentz falls to us at 15, then all good
train

jap

Legend
The QB position is the difference between the Horns being a playoff team or not, and it has been so since 2013. That needs to be made top priority, even if key free agents are dealt with initially.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Being a Cal fan here in NorCal, I can honestly say that Goff kind of scares me. He is wildly streaky. Can look all world one minute, then like a confused mess the next. Now one thing that has always had me give him the shadow of the doubt is the fact that since he has been the starter at Cal, they have not had nearly the quality of RB that Cal is usually known for. His OL has also been up and down ... and the WR's are up and down as well.
He is a pretty cool cat in his demeanor though if you watch him on the sidelines after something bad happens. He usually looks like he has shook it of ...but he doesn't always seem to show it on the field of play.
another thing ... he was VERY slight of build coming out of H.S. at Marin Catholic. He is just now starting to get his body to where it should have been two yrs ago. He may still take some time to get ready for the NFL pounding. But like Aaron Rodgers (who I have known since his HS days) is very good in mechanics. footwork, reading progressions and for the most part pocket awareness is pretty decent.
But all that said .... he leaves enough "wince" in my opinion of him to say I would NOT trade up for him. I truly don't think he is as NFL ready as Rodgers was coming out. And he is not quite as "mobile" as AR either .. .so that "still developing body" may slow his readiness to start right away.
Drafting a QB is a crap shoot. There are NEVER any "sure fire" prospects. I would put Goff at the 50/50 category of whether or not he will ever live up to his pre-draft "hype". But if they pulled the trigger if he is still there @15, I could be good with it. I just wouldn't use capital to move up.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron

2013 - 60.4%
2014 - 62.1%
2015 - 64.5%

Still curious about your statement. He has not had a sub 60% season and has improved over the 3 years.