Shaun Hill Assessment

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Athos

Legend

At this point, this thread is

2970481-facepalm_facepalm.png

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
All of this over 2 backup QBs. At least Warner vs Bulger was about 2 guys who could play.

moklerman

Warner-phile
All of this over 2 backup QBs. At least Warner vs Bulger was about 2 guys who could play.
I don't think it's any secret that Rams fans don't care who the QB's are...there's going to be a debate.

Van Brocklin/Waterfield
Munson/Gabriel
Jaworski/Harris
Haden/Ferragamo
Jones/Ferragamo
Ferragamo/Kemp
Everett/Rubley
Warner/Bulger

Just think, the least amount of arguing occurred when we all knew Miller couldn't stay healthy, Walsh sucked and Banks was a great athlete that just didn't have it as a QB.

That's probably why I keep rooting for Bradford to stay healthy. I keep imagining that he'll bring harmony to Rams fans since his talent is there, his work ethic, personality, etc. are all what we all want.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Who were once backups don't forget(y)
I was a Bulger guy , thought Kurts concussions had gotten to his decision making ,once he recovered from the thumb and the concussions he returned to form and IMO is the primary reason Az has become a decent franchise ,he single handedly changed the culture of that team.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Who were once backups don't forget(y)
I was a Bulger guy , thought Kurts concussions had gotten to his decision making ,once he recovered from the thumb and the concussions he returned to form and IMO is the primary reason Az has become a decent franchise ,he single handedly changed the culture of that team.
His thumb didn't get "better", he just started wearing the gloves.

I don't think Kurt's decision making was really hampered medically, I think it was circumstance. He rushed to come back from injury because of Bulger's success and the obvious writing on the wall and really started pressing. Same thing in NY. He was trying to be perfect and stubbornly wouldn't address his debilitated thumb/hand. Even in AZ it took getting benched because he couldn't hang onto the ball to force him to make a change.

He had to swallow his pride and admit that he couldn't physically do what he needed to do to stay on the field and not be a liability. He further had to humble himself and wear gloves full time which is basically a dorky thing for an NFL QB to do. I give him credit for actually doing all of that in addition to acclimating his game to what Whis/Haley wanted from him. But much like Peyton converted Fox from a defensive minded coach, I think Warner influenced Whis/Haley into incorporating some of the aggression that he liked with the ball-protection they were focused on.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's probably why I keep rooting for Bradford to stay healthy. I keep imagining that he'll bring harmony to Rams fans since his talent is there, his work ethic, personality, etc. are all what we all want.

I think we're all in that boat. Guy has ability but we need him on the field. Unfortunately, on other boards, it doesn't matter what he does from here...some people dug themselves so deeply into their anti-Bradford hole that there will be no getting out.

Feel bad for those boards...but this place should be okay. :LOL:

Rambition

Rookie
I think it's unfair to expect too much from Hill Sunday for two reasons:
1] He hasn't played a full game since January 2, 2011 (the 2010 season's last game)
2] He hasn't practiced with the first stringers all season

I think there's bound to be some misfires/miscommunication/confusion between Hill and the rest of the offensive players.

Not a knock on Hill, just that he's coming in pretty cold.
best to keep those things in mind, you're right.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
NO, I didn't ask for your opinion about Davis vs Hill, I EXPLICITLY AND POLITELY asked that it NOT be. Up until your arrival, this was a polite pro-Rams discussion.

Of course you won't take the challenge Thor, you're a troll. You've been trolling me for weeks. Trolls never risk anything. Put up or shut up.

See you Monday and we'll see if you've accepted the challenge by PM and if you're man enough.

your definition of polite seems to be different than most others.....

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I think it's unfair to expect too much from Hill Sunday for two reasons:
1] He hasn't played a full game since January 2, 2011 (the 2010 season's last game)
2] He hasn't practiced with the first stringers all season

I think there's bound to be some misfires/miscommunication/confusion between Hill and the rest of the offensive players.

Not a knock on Hill, just that he's coming in pretty cold.

#2 is wrong, he clearly practiced with them prior to the first game. (though that is a while ago)

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

I don't think Kurt's decision making was really hampered medically, I think it was circumstance. He rushed to come back from injury because of Bulger's success and the obvious writing on the wall and really started pressing. Same thing in NY. He was trying to be perfect and stubbornly wouldn't address his debilitated thumb/hand. Even in AZ it took getting benched because he couldn't hang onto the ball to force him to make a change.

He had to swallow his pride and admit that he couldn't physically do what he needed to do to stay on the field and not be a liability. He further had to humble himself and wear gloves full time which is basically a dorky thing for an NFL QB to do. I give him credit for actually doing all of that in addition to acclimating his game to what Whis/Haley wanted from him. But much like Peyton converted Fox from a defensive minded coach, I think Warner influenced Whis/Haley into incorporating some of the aggression that he liked with the ball-protection they were focused on.

Ok I'll buy that ,either way he started to be able to hold onto the ball better which was a problem.

But let me give you my take on the "concussion thing" , forgive me if I ramble.
Kurt got a concussion in the Christmas Eve game when we beat Nawlins to get a wild card and played the next week ( against them again ) even though he hadn't recovered fully. This was all pre concussion protocol . The following summer Kurt was still having trouble with bright lights and some headaches , the following season we started 0-5 3 games Kurt 2 Jamie Martin and the big complaint as I recall from Martz was that Kurt was not going where the ball was supposed to go and holding it too long. I remember the Denver game Kurt was indecisive in that game and several of the guys I was watching it with were agitating for Martz to bench him then. Kurt broke his little finger later and Martin got hurt which brought Bulger in we were 0-5 and Oakland as I recall was 5-0 and we beat them. Kurt returned later that year but struggled.
In the opening game of the next season Kurt fumbled several times and sustained a concussion during the first quarter.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/127877-did-kurt-warner-deserve-to-benched-so-many-times

How much all that effected his play is purely conjecture on my part because it was as I say back before the "protocol" which BTW is something that is a pretty big deal in some other sports as well , one of the kids I helped coach in wrestling recently washed out at West Point because he sustained more concussions than the protocol allows .

Kurt was a warrior and concealed his injuries including concussions , I still see other players avoiding Drs. on the sideline when they get dinged.
Martz was a demanding guy who didn't like QB's throwing to the wrong spot.
Last night it was mentioned that the Miami offensive co-ordinator doesn't allow Tannehill to audible , which started me wondering if he was a Martz disciple.

How this happened dunno but the second quote is me and I'm too low tech to change it

lockdnram21

Legend
I honestly believe the team, other than the O line, is playing at a top level and that Hill will neutralize the pass rush and open up the long ball and running game.

My biggest fear against Denver isn't the offense or defense anymore. It's Schotty. We need those 2nd and goals from the 2 to go to Bam Bam 3 times for the score. We need TA somewhere in the mix every down of every drive and with plays like he had the first TD drive last week and not like the rest of the game. We need TM on the edge where he's been busting loose more times than not.

It really sucks that Quick is out this game in particular but Schotty needs to use Britt and TA to stretch the field because Hill can deliver.

I could also see big games for Cook and Bailey. Please Schotty, PLEASE, don't use Givens more than Bailey. Bailey is superior in all ways other than speed. He doesn't draw penalties, drop balls, or give up on routes. If he can't be our clutch guy, no one can.

If Schotty sends in the wrong play, I hope Hill just changes it.

This CAN'T be a conservative game no matter the situation unless it's late in the fourth and Rams are up 14 and dominating with the D.

PLEASE GW, don't blitz on 3rd down and 10+. Just stop them short. PLEASE!

To special teams I would ask only one thing: On punt returns, turn and block. Don't watch TA, don't worry about where he's going, turn and block. HE will find a way around you.

And finally, if Fisher gives up another possession at the end of the first half with time on the clock and timeouts on the board just to lose again, I'm going to go to the stadium and Taco Bell bean burrito with a liter of vodka chaser projectile sh1t on his car and dry it in place with a heatgun. I swear I will. You've been warned Fish, play this game like you have to win and every drive and possession is precious!
From what I've seen Bailey has had trouble gaining separation just like Tavon. I would use Givens opposite Britt because he was getting open. If Britt pulls coverage Givens will be open all day.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Van Brocklin/Waterfield
Munson/Gabriel
Jaworski/Harris
Haden/Ferragamo
Jones/Ferragamo
Ferragamo/Kemp
Everett/Rubley
Warner/Bulger
Somehow Dieter Brock needs to be on this list. A reminder that if the draft sucks and free agents suck, there's always the CFL! (Ricky Ray, anyone?)

Status
Not open for further replies.