Shaun Hill Assessment

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Please good people. Can we leave the Hill / Davis debate until after we watch Hill this week? There will be plenty to compare on Monday.

I really would like to see what people think of Hill's only playing time based on what he did and not assumptions.

Thank you.

FWIW, RamzFanz, I'm in general agreement with your assessment.

Nice post, man.

I thought it was an offseason coup to sign Hill.

We shall see if he can be effective in these remaining 7 games.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Why do I have to suffer accusations every time I want to discuss Hill? Can't you just go debate Hill / Davis on one of the many Hill / Davis threads?

I can see as a Davis fan you are not happy with the decision and don't think Hill will be an improvement. You've said as much over and over on other threads. I'm abandoning those threads because it's all been said.

I want to discuss Hill and the only real game time information we have on him with the Rams. It's not like I'm saying this quarter or that or this game or that, it's all we have. If you insist on littering this thread, so be it, I have no power to stop you. I asked.

"are you going to come on the board and proclaim error if we get crushed Sunday."

Yes, yes I will. If Hill sucks, I will personally start a Hill sucks thread for every Davis fan to beat me up. Happy?

Because you say things like this:

"People who say he isn't mobile need to go watch him"

If you JUST WANT to express opinion do it, bring the other people on the board up as a subject ,they are going to make you the subject as well.

Yes ,I'm happy ,but you need to realize the elevation of Hill you attempt won't happen in a vacuum. The two are part of the same team ,if you don't think Hill is going to be better , say so ,if you do then it's not an accusation it's an accurate observation, es verdad?

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Ouch!!!!! LOL
I actually heard a coach intimate that Steve Pisarcek was playing for the Giants back in the day and that Jerry Goldstein was the QB of the future but they weren't risking his health behind the crappy o-line they had :confused:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I think after 1 half of play during which both him and the team underperformed that it's way too early to have much of an assessment at all.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I EVEN have thoughts the coaches are only starting Hill to let him absorb the hits because he's not part of next years plans.

Wow, just wow. Have you even gone back to look at Hill's play or is this just going to be an attack Hill rant? o_O

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
I do not think much can be read into the 1/2 Hill played (good or bad):

1. was the first game of the season, schotty who seems to make good game plans (but fails to adjust for some reason) had plenty of time to makea game plan.
2. The team was the healthiest it has been all year - especially the Oline (I still think GRob should have started/played more)
3. it was not against an elite team or defense
4. If our new players were going to surprise anyone it was that game
5. the net result was 3 points while Hill was in.....3

Athos

Legend
One half of football does not a QB make, especially a 34 year old guy with 1 full start in the last 3 years.

Not sure how you can credit drops to say he looked better than he did. Davis had to deal with the same thing (cough, infamous Cookie drop for an easy TD that completely changed the complexion of the DAL game for the worse.)

I think it's silly to get excited by one half. Hill could have gotten worse as the game progressed, like Davis has in many of his. Still unconvinced he survives many hits. Like I said, Hill is entirely an unknown. I have no idea what we'll get Sunday, but I just won't be surprised if he's not much better than Davis.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I do not think much can be read into the 1/2 Hill played (good or bad):

1. was the first game of the season, schotty who seems to make good game plans (but fails to adjust for some reason) had plenty of time to makea game plan.
2. The team was the healthiest it has been all year - especially the Oline (I still think GRob should have started/played more)
3. it was not against an elite team or defense
4. If our new players were going to surprise anyone it was that game
5. the net result was 3 points while Hill was in.....3

I agree. Everything you say is true.

I'm talking about his play, not the results. He can't kick the field goal that missed, catch the passes he threw, or stop the penalties.

What did you think of his play?

RamzFanz

Damnit
One half of football does not a QB make, especially a 34 year old guy with 1 full start in the last 3 years.

Not sure how you can credit drops to say he looked better than he did. Davis had to deal with the same thing (cough, infamous Cookie drop for an easy TD that completely changed the complexion of the DAL game for the worse.)

I think it's silly to get excited by one half. Hill could have gotten worse as the game progressed, like Davis has in many of his. Still unconvinced he survives many hits. Like I said, Hill is entirely an unknown. I have no idea what we'll get Sunday, but I just won't be surprised if he's not much better than Davis.

I'm not excited from one half. I'm excited from his entire body of work with the Rams. I watched him in TC several times and live game one and I think he's going to do great with this team as it is.

This has nothing to do with Davis. Davis has played and we know who he is. This is all we have on Hill.

Have you watched the play time we have and what did you think?

RamzFanz

Damnit

If you JUST WANT to express opinion do it, bring the other people on the board up as a subject ,they are going to make you the subject as well.

Yes ,I'm happy ,but you need to realize the elevation of Hill you attempt won't happen in a vacuum. The two are part of the same team ,if you don't think Hill is going to be better , say so ,if you do then it's not an accusation it's an accurate observation, es verdad?

"are you going to come on the board and proclaim error if we get crushed Sunday."

Yes, yes I will. If Hill is worse than Davis, I will personally start a RamzFanz is an idiot thread for every Davis fan to beat me up. Will you do the same if he's better than Davis? :sneaky: [CHALLENGE ISSUED]

how-to-fight-a-duel-3.WidePlayer.jpg

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Wow, just wow. Have you even gone back to look at Hill's play or is this just going to be an attack Hill rant? o_O

Hill? never heard of the guy.

Let's be clear you asked people for thoughts you said ( what say you) ,you have an impression , so do others , if they don't match then they don't but don't intimate that they haven't seen things or failed to watch or aren't paying attention JUST because their impressions don't fit with yours .

Am I to believe that I must affirm your opinion to be legitimate in this thread ,because you are certainly implying it when you ask if I have watched .

Evaluating on the basis of one half of football is a like grabbing the elephant by the tail and proclaiming it to be like a rope ,by that standard Washington would be headed for the Super Bowl behind Kirk Cousins

RamzFanz

Damnit

Dude, did you go watch him again? Are you saying he wasn't mobile? Is this just a harrass RamzFanz reply or are you going to assess his actual play vs the assumptions?

I have already evaluated Davis many times in other threads and found him wanting. Now I'm trying to talk about Hill.

Can I talk about Hill without being accused of alternative motives or am I upsetting the bandwagon again?

Thordaddy

Name
Rich

Yes, yes I will. If Hill is worse than Davis, I will personally start a RamzFanz is an idiot thread for every Davis fan to beat me up. Will you do the same if he's better than Davis? :sneaky: [CHALLENGE ISSUED]

how-to-fight-a-duel-3.WidePlayer.jpg

No I won't he's going to have to win three games before I proclaim him as good,and further I have already said I don't think the QB position is why we've lost half the games or even ALL we have ,so why would I attribute a win to Hill alone?
I will say this we won't win a shoot out ,our defense is going to have to shut Manning down for us to win and if they do and we do, either of our Qb's are capable of winning a 13-10 game

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Hill is a good game manager, which is what we need right now. We don't need anybody dynamic, we don't have anybody dynamic anyways so it doesn't matter, we just need somebody who can go in there and not be dumb and throw the ball when we ask him to. Which Hill is good at, if he can Dilfer it up for us then things should go swimmingly.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Hill? never heard of the guy.

Let's be clear you asked people for thoughts you said ( what say you) ,you have an impression , so do others , if they don't match then they don't but don't intimate that they haven't seen things or failed to watch or aren't paying attention JUST because their impressions don't fit with yours .

Am I to believe that I must affirm your opinion to be legitimate in this thread ,because you are certainly implying it when you ask if I have watched .

Evaluating on the basis of one half of football is a like grabbing the elephant by the tail and proclaiming it to be like a rope ,by that standard Washington would be headed for the Super Bowl behind Kirk Cousins

Yes, I asked your thoughts on Hill's performance that half based upon his play and not just the results. What's your opinion on his play that game?

RamzFanz

Damnit
No I won't he's going to have to win three games before I proclaim him as good,and further I have already said I don't think the QB position is why we've lost half the games or even ALL we have ,so why would I attribute a win to Hill alone?
I will say this we won't win a shoot out ,our defense is going to have to shut Manning down for us to win and if they do and we do, either of our Qb's are capable of winning a 13-10 game

I'm challenging you based on QB performance, not results. We can't compare one opponent to the other but we CAN watch and be honest about the QB performances. No?

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
I am glad Davis got his chance and he looked pretty good early on. Lately he's been horrible. His mobility may be good but he's slow afoot, so when he got out of the pocket, he was chased down. I hope Fisher give Hill at least 4 games to see what he can do. Starting him against Denver sure isn't doing him much of a favor.

Athos

Legend
Have you watched the play time we have and what did you think?

Why? TC means nothing at this point. Neither do pre-season games with kids trying to make rosters. It's impossible to evaluate a QB who hasn't played a full game, hasn't had to adjust to the opposing team's adjustments, and hasn't made is healthy through a game, or taken hits courtesy of Long/Wells/Joseph.

I don't think his long half of football is any better than the great halves/quarters Davis has had. In fact, they aren't even nearly as good. Which is the point.

I see a QB who is 34, hasn't played a full game in 3 years, and suffered an injury I don't even know how he suffered. Durability is a concern. Mobility with this o-line is a concern. Playing against 2 premiere edge-rushers is a concern. Nothing Hill has done since being a Lion excites me and why should it?

WoodsideRam

Rookie
One thing I noticed about Hill is he seems to be able to make that back shoulder throw that a lot of QBs throw these days.

I also expect him to target Britt more. From the little I saw of him in preseason, he did seem to favor Britt.

Status
Not open for further replies.