Shaun Hill Assessment

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Hoping for the best from Hill and I was one of those that was very pleased that he was signed as the backup to Bradford. And I'm all for considering how a QB looked and what he did with the ball especially when plays were negated or passes were dropped. On that front, there is hope that Hill might come in and be productive.

However, as much as I've been impressed with him at times throughout his career he's never been able to sustain the success he's had in certain games. I don't think that can be ignored. Sadly, this won't be the best circumstance he's been in either. The Rams offense isn't as good as the 49ers or Lions teams that he was on IMO.

Most importantly, none of us would even be discussing this if he'd stayed healthy. It's hard to get excited about his potential when he couldn't make it through his first start with such a seemingly benign injury. Makes it seem very much like he's "old". So, I'm not disputing how he looked in his half against Minnesota and would even concede that he personally looked good with what he was doing but maintaining a high level of play and staying healthy are real questions about Hill and I have no reason to think he's going to pull a Rich Gannon, rise from obscurity and be as good as you keep talking him up.

I hope you're right, but my skepticism is pretty high.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Why even comment?

You're seriously questioning a moderator's right to comment in a thread?

I also want to comment in the @Thordaddy is an idiot thread on Monday, many many times, using his own quotes against him, but he won't back up his assessment of Hill with actions. o_O

This is totally unnecessary. Please stop.

As far as Shaun Hill goes, maybe it would have been better to start a thread assessing his play with the Rams until he's had a few games under his belt. I hope he does great on Sunday because I love this team and want them to win. No other agenda or bandwagon here.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hoping for the best from Hill and I was one of those that was very pleased that he was signed as the backup to Bradford. And I'm all for considering how a QB looked and what he did with the ball especially when plays were negated or passes were dropped. On that front, there is hope that Hill might come in and be productive.

However, as much as I've been impressed with him at times throughout his career he's never been able to sustain the success he's had in certain games. I don't think that can be ignored. Sadly, this won't be the best circumstance he's been in either. The Rams offense isn't as good as the 49ers or Lions teams that he was on IMO.

Most importantly, none of us would even be discussing this if he'd stayed healthy. It's hard to get excited about his potential when he couldn't make it through his first start with such a seemingly benign injury. Makes it seem very much like he's "old". So, I'm not disputing how he looked in his half against Minnesota and would even concede that he personally looked good with what he was doing but maintaining a high level of play and staying healthy are real questions about Hill and I have no reason to think he's going to pull a Rich Gannon, rise from obscurity and be as good as you keep talking him up.

I hope you're right, but my skepticism is pretty high.

I'm talking up his skill set based on his actual play and what I saw myself in TC.

I've never denied he might be injury prone at this point in his career. If he is, then he going to have a very hard time this week and a short comeback. Denver's pass rush is the real deal. If he's out of shape, that's on Fisher. He's the one paying the guy to be ready.

Although I would add I've seen many a player miss time for what would appear to be benign injuries. I'm not one to call a player injury prone from one injury.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Oh yes, it is. I've tried to be polite and asked you many times to leave the Hill / Davis for next week or other threads then 503 decided to jump in with his "I'm not re-watching or commenting on the OP but you're playing the martyr" comment. So yes, I'm going with "bandwagoners". I calculated that is as harsh as I can get against bandwagoners without getting the customary private message.

Please Thor and 503, I'd like to discuss Hill's performance with others that have watched it and evaluated it. Thanks.
There you go again implying we haven't watched Hill, ,and if you keep calling names like that and claim the right I don't think it will help your case.
And FWIW the only way there is going to be a Thordaddy is an idiot thread is if someone else starts it, at worst I could be surprised at how well Hill does, you keep acting and have for some time as if those who disagree with you about this topic IS an IDIOT or have no basis for their opinions, it's insulting I don't agree with you get used to it it's an open forum and you asked others for input this is NOT a selective monlogue.

RamzFanz

Damnit
You're seriously questioning a moderator's right to comment in a thread?

No. Did I? No. I questioned his purpose. If he's not going to re-watch Hill's play or comment on the OP or ask @Thordaddy to stop trolling the thread, why comment? To accuse me of playing the Martyr? Is that allowed now? Are we down to trolling threads and then calling in the big guns because I asked politely and repeatedly, not to make this about Davis?!?

Tell you what. I'll see you all Monday. You can't even have a reasonable discussion around here anymore.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Trolling? I'm not the one throwing names around ,if you can't handle dissent without labeling it that way , you might want to take a timeout ,every post i made had substance and a point .

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
No. Did I? No. I questioned his purpose. If he's not going to re-watch Hill's play or comment on the OP or ask @Thordaddy to stop trolling the thread, why comment? To accuse me of playing the Martyr? Is that allowed now? Are we down to trolling threads and then calling in the big guns because I asked politely and repeatedly, not to make this about Davis?!?

Tell you what. I'll see you all Monday. You can't even have a reasonable discussion around here anymore.

Just my opinion but while you started a reasonable discussion you didn't try to keep it reasonable.

RamzFanz

Damnit
There you go again implying we haven't watched Hill, ,and if you keep calling names like that and claim the right I don't think it will help your case.
And FWIW the only way there is going to be a Thordaddy is an idiot thread is if someone else starts it, at worst I could be surprised at how well Hill does, you keep acting and have for some time as if those who disagree with you about this topic IS an IDIOT or have no basis for their opinions, it's insulting I don't agree with you get used to it it's an open forum and you asked others for input this is NOT a selective monlogue.

NO, I didn't ask for your opinion about Davis vs Hill, I EXPLICITLY AND POLITELY asked that it NOT be. Up until your arrival, this was a polite pro-Rams discussion.

Of course you won't take the challenge Thor, you're a troll. You've been trolling me for weeks. Trolls never risk anything. Put up or shut up.

See you Monday and we'll see if you've accepted the challenge by PM and if you're man enough.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Just my opinion but while you started a reasonable discussion you didn't try to keep it reasonable.

Because I'm tired of being trolled by Thor. He does this every time I start a thread then he hops up on his soapbox and lectures everyone.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

You made a comment earlier this week that you hoped you wouldn't be shouted down for your comments. That was the reason for the "martyr" comment. Oh yeah, mods read every single post by every single member. And now your fellow members are "calling in the big guns" to give you a hard time? No martyrdom there at all.

Btw you don't get to set the parameters of what gets talked about in a thread even one you started.

Maybe it would be a good idea for you to back away for awhile.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I liked what I saw of Hill during preseason, he certainly looked better that KC last year. The first game I thought he got screwed by the other players not holding up their end of things in stats and eventually the injury too. Long was not ready to play but that's another discussion.

I wonder if Hill's injury might have been worse and being as old as he is (my God I could be his father!!!!) it has taken him time to get back to healthy enough to play without risking further injury.

I don't know if they can compete with Denver but I think the rest of the schedule they can win a few.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I'm talking up his skill set based on his actual play and what I saw myself in TC.

I've never denied he might be injury prone at this point in his career. If he is, then he going to have a very hard time this week and a short comeback. Denver's pass rush is the real deal. If he's out of shape, that's on Fisher. He's the one paying the guy to be ready.

Although I would add I've seen many a player miss time for what would appear to be benign injuries. I'm not one to call a player injury prone from one injury.
Don't agree that it's Fisher's responsibility for Hill to be in shape. I think that's expected of a professional.

But Hill's been injured a variety of times in his brief playing time in the league when he was younger so getting injured again, as minor as it was, at his age and after not playing for years isn't encouraging to me. Like I said though, I hope for the best and I hope he can find a way to replicate some of his personal high points from the past.

But I'm jaded and don't have any real expectations of that happening for the Rams.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Don't agree that it's Fisher's responsibility for Hill to be in shape. I think that's expected of a professional.

But Hill's been injured a variety of times in his brief playing time in the league when he was younger so getting injured again, as minor as it was, at his age and after not playing for years isn't encouraging to me. Like I said though, I hope for the best and I hope he can find a way to replicate some of his personal high points from the past.

But I'm jaded and don't have any real expectations of that happening for the Rams.

I agree it is on the athlete to keep themselves fit and ready.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
What say you?
I say the entire team as a whole was unprepared for week one vs Minnesota.

As far as Hill specifically, he played like a backup QB because that's what he is. I think this switch comes because Fisher thinks that he can get at least the same equal production from Hill as Davis has shown...minus the turnovers.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I agree it was his fault. It seems to me, since that was the play after his only sack where the injury seems to have come from, he might not have been aware that his throwing wasn't going to have the normal power. Or maybe he just screwed up and threw it into double coverage.
My only real problem with Hill's first half/game, he's supposed to be the vet, he has the experience, yet he basically throws a pick cause what, IDGAF?!? That was inexcusable....I know it pissed Fisher off...Now the other points brought up in this thread, the lack of commitment demonstrated by appearing out of shape, and his overall play before he became a Ram...I remember Shaun Hill...And it's not a nice memory...I also remember Keenum...Now if we could get that kinda play behind this defense.......

RamzFanz

Damnit
Trolling? I'm not the one throwing names around ,if you can't handle dissent without labeling it that way , you might want to take a timeout ,every post i made had substance and a point .

"Choose your words carefully and try to make them tasty ,some day you may need to eat them" ....................Unknown"

"So what we get then is posters who question the coaches acumen because they don't assess the situation in consort with said poster, which the first few times is what a message board is good for, but when it becomes a drumbeat like this issue is surely becoming ,it gets old and draws the air out of the board because a few won't say their peace about it and leave it at that."

The irony. o_O

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
"Choose your words carefully and try to make them tasty ,some day you may need to eat them" ....................Unknown"

"So what we get then is posters who question the coaches acumen because they don't assess the situation in consort with said poster, which the first few times is what a message board is good for, but when it becomes a drumbeat like this issue is surely becoming ,it gets old and draws the air out of the board because a few won't say their peace about it and leave it at that."

The irony. o_O

That post is not trolling?????????????

BTW I thought you said you were out till Monday.
As Prime said ,you can't tell anyone else what they are allowed to talk about in a thread, especially when it's so closely intertwined , you might want to respect that,I know if he told me or even asked me to abandon this thread I would.
Drop the name calling and the threats ,it's not making your case it's defeating you.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thor, you're both grown men. Can you not resolve this outside of the thread? If he asked you not to talk about Davis in the thread, you should have respected his wishes. The guy made the thread for a reason and nobody is forcing anyone to post in it. We're all mature adults here(except me...I'm an immature adult), lets move past this and stop provoking each other.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
all I have to say is Davis has halves of football this season that make Hills one half look pretty anemic.

Haha! Hill ONLY played one half this season. Davis got to play 15 halves! Of course one of those 15 was probably better than Hill's 1 half. But you failed to bring up the overwhelming number of hideous, terrible, game losing halves that AD played during those 15. Had Hill had 7 more starts even you would be convinced that he's the better QB.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I also want to comment in the @Thordaddy is an idiot thread on Monday, many many times, using his own quotes against him, but he won't back up his assessment of Hill with actions. o_O

Do you realize just how uncalled for that is? This is almost exactly what went on at RamStalk. Drop it. If you have a problem with Thor, put him on ignore. That's what the feature was designed for.

Status
Not open for further replies.