SF's Borland quits over safety issues

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I don't think it's going out on a limb by saying San Francisco will struggle mightily this year.
I'm not hoping for the whiners to struggle in general. They could beat up on AZ and SEA, become our bitch and then win about half their other games just missing the playoffs at 9-6. That way they pick in the middle of the pack or have to pull off a block buster trade to move up and get the next Ryan Leaf.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not hoping for the whiners to struggle in general. They could beat up on AZ and SEA, become our bitch and then win about half their other games just missing the playoffs at 9-6. That way they pick in the middle of the pack or have to pull off a block buster trade to move up and get the next Ryan Leaf.
I'm not at all into predictions... but I'll make an exception and say San Francisco will have a significant meltdown... along the lines of 5-11 or 4-12.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm not at all into predictions... but I'll make an exception and say San Francisco will have a significant meltdown... along the lines of 5-11 or 4-12.
I agree. But I like my scenario better. :shades:

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Interesting to see reactions to this news. When I left the college game after two years of being constantly injured I was labeled a "buddy fucker" and ostracized.
I hope that Borland gets better treatment.

Lesson

Oh, really?
aussie rules is a completely different game. they just kick it around and when it hits the ground they fight for it like seagulls fighting over a piece of scrap food. it is the king of the crack back tackle though. no comparison.

rugby union is worse. non stop kicking, line outs and mauls. when they do run the ball once in a while i'm asleep by then so there's not that many big hitting.

rugby league is the best comparison to the nfl. alot of big hits, heavy collisions and they see them coming so they give as good as they get. there are concussion protocols now in the game but they haven't really made that big a deal about it yet. i'm sure that will change as time goes on.

I honestly think if facemasks were redesigned to be smaller that less players would use their helmet as as a weapon.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
As the saying goes; " If you can't stand the heat....!!"
125dfbbb1bdf15ba7f2b4461641d7903902eca47d82a45dba756579b0164cc3d.jpg

RamBill

Legend
Bernie: Stunning early NFL retirements are a warning
• By Bernie Miklasz

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_f439f518-82ad-5be9-a1c3-7752b854cb38.html

A while back, I brushed off a far-out theory espoused by those who believe the NFL was headed to big trouble in the future.

No way, I thought. This league just prints money and pretty much controls the U.S. media. Revenue continues to escalate. The TV networks are desperate to satisfy every whim and request that the NFL demands, and will continue to pump remarkable sums into the league’s bank account. Multi-billionaire owners who run grossly incompetent franchises think nothing of discarding a city or a fan base if they can cash in for more loot elsewhere.

In many ways, it’s become a disgusting, disgraceful enterprise. But is the NFL in trouble? Of course not.

Not when you have the people who run TV networks crawling on their knees, grateful to have a chance to televise a huge ratings-winner product. Not when the NFL is so popular with gamblers, who hang on every run, pass, kick, turnover, touchdown, replay and coaching decision.

As long as fans are so hungry to watch and bet on games, and as long as cities are willing to appease greedy owners, and as long as the U.S. media serves as an unofficial NFL public-relations subsidiary, the NFL would remain healthy. An unstoppable bully.

A few readers checked in to remind me of something: the NFL needs players. And while the NFL’s finances are healthy, the players are putting their health at risk every time they compete on the field. The players will wake up, a few of you told me. So will the parents of the kids that want to play football.

It's been a rut of bad P.R. for the NFL.

Concussions. Broken and twisted bodies. Scrambled minds. Post-career trauma that has led to dementia, depression and suicide. Not to mention the searing physical pain that's a normal part of the game.

The awareness has been raised. Football is a damaging sport. That’s why some of you made the point that eventually more and more parents will prohibit their kids from playing football. They’ll direct the kids to safer, healthier sports.

And when the pool of talent begins shrinking, the quality of NFL play will suffer. Maybe, just maybe -- a very long time from now -- kids will stop playing football. And there will be no football.

I don’t think we’ll reach the apocalypse stage.

I still stick to my main point: as long as TV and gambling are funding and driving your business, you can’t really lose. And I’ll add another observation … there will always be young athletes who turn to football as a way to have a career and secure the big paychecks that they couldn’t earn in another field.

Probably the kids who come from poorer backgrounds, who don’t have as many options to go another route. But there are players from every background -- kids who grew up with rich parents -- who will be drawn to the game because they love competing.

So I don’t think the NFL will run out of players.

That doesn't mean football as we know it will remain the same.

Recent events have certainly caught all our attention. It’s made me reevaluate things a bit and take notice of a new trend, one that presumably will escalate: young NFL players that choose to retire, opting out before their bodies and brains are put at greater risk.

Four young players have announced their retirements over the last two weeks.

* Chris Borland, 24, and a very good linebacker for the San Francisco 49ers, is walking away after one season. He’s worried about long-term consequences of continuing to play football. Borland could have been in for a huge contract in a few years, but he didn't want to stick around long enough to really cash in.

* Tennessee Titans quarterback Jake Locker, only 26, said he’s lost his desire to play. Locker’s brief time in the NFL had been torn apart by injuries.

* Patrick Willis, the 49ers’ Hall of Fame caliber linebacker, eased himself into retirement instead of trying to keep playing on brittle feet that have been injured multiple times, causing him considerable pain. He’s still only 30.

* Pittsburgh Steelers pass rusher Jason Worilds, 27, gave up a chance at free agency -- where he could have landed a deal for at least $15 million guaranteed, according to one media report. Worilds didn’t mention health concerns when revealing his decision to retire. He said he wanted to pursue other interests. And he is deeply religious. But it’s hardly a big leap to believe that health was a factor here.

Even if health wasn’t an issue, Worilds chose to end his career at a young age, and with a pile of guaranteed money on the table. That’s profound.

“I just thought to myself, ‘What am I doing? Is this how I’m going to live my adult life, banging my head, especially with what I’ve learned and knew about the dangers?’ " Borland told ESPN.

In gathering information before making a decision, Borland met with concussion researchers and studied their findings.

More than 30 percent of NFL players eventually are afflicted with Alzheimer’s or dementia. And more than 70 former NFL players have been diagnosed with CTE, a neurodegenerative disease that gradually erodes the brain and can trigger violent behavior. That number (70) is just the start, a small sample. Inevitably many more ex-players will be diagnosed with CTE.

“To be the type of player I want to be in football, I think I’d have to take on some risks that as a person I don’t want to take on,” Borland told ESPN.

These retirements are resonating through the NFL.

On Twitter, Rams defensive end Chris Long wrote: “WOW. I loved Chris Borland’s game but I can’t fault him for calling it quits. His concerns are real. Still it takes a man to do the logical. I don’t feel bad for Borland. I feel happy for him. He’s made a tough choice.”

There were many comments similar to that. But there was also this on Twitter from Seattle linebacker Bobby Wagner: “No offense to anyone but I’m playing until I can’t anymore. I love this game too much.”

Obviously, a lot of NFL players agree with Wagner's sentiment. And they will keep going on.

I don’t know how many young players will join these four in voluntarily terminating their NFL careers, but this could be the beginning of a wave. We’ll have to wait and see if it keeps rolling, and getting bigger.

The NFL is trying to make the sport safer, but you can never make it entirely safe. Not with overly large, remarkably fast players running into each other like two locomotives. We are only beginning to learn the true extent of the personal price of competing at the NFL level.

I’ve just always thought that NFL players won’t remove themselves from their careers unless they had absolutely no other choice. But that wasn’t the case with Willis, Borland, Locker and Worilds. Even with advanced research into football and brain injuries, I thought players would dwell on the fame and fortune and disregard the danger _ just hoping to get lucky and avoid long-lasting harm. (And many still manage to pull that off.)

But there’s been at least a small change in the locker-room perspective. And that alters my perspective on what to expect from here on out. A more enlightened generation of NFL players may be more prepared, and inclined, to measure risk against reward instead of remaining oblivious.

And there will be more enlightened friends and family members to hold at-risk players accountable, instead of looking the other way as the players take the field to bang on each other violently.

If more players and their loved ones are putting serious thought into the potential repercussions of playing tackle football, then it stands to surmise that more players will conclude that it makes sense to leave the game.

Just wait until parents begin suing school districts after their football-playing sons get concussed, and can't shake off the symptoms. (And they suffer the concussions while using outdated, less safe, equipment handed out by the schools. How many school districts will be able to afford the insurance to buffer the lawsuits? You certainly can understand why some districts may decide to drop the sport.

I don't believe the NFL will ever go away ... but we're seeing that young, viable players are willing to walk away to preserve their health instead of increasing their wealth. And this is a dramatic development in the blood sport of pro football.

Thanks for reading ...

— Bernie

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Glad that he's a 49er and retiring because he would have been a very good ILB for a long time. But I respect him for going out on his terms. Gotta be honest, it's something I've pondered...if I had the skills to play in the NFL, would I? And for how long? Because I highly value my long term health and intelligence. Can't blame him for feeling the same way. He proved he can play in the NFL and now he gets to walk away with his health(or what's left of it). Nobody will ever doubt that he gave less than 100% when he played.

iced

Glad that he's a 49er and retiring because he would have been a very good ILB for a long time. But I respect him for going out on his terms. Gotta be honest, it's something I've pondered...if I had the skills to play in the NFL, would I? And for how long? Because I highly value my long term health and intelligence. Can't blame him for feeling the same way. He proved he can play in the NFL and now he gets to walk away with his health(or what's left of it). Nobody will ever doubt that he gave less than 100% when he played.

not gonna lie - when I was getting out of the military I gave it some serious thought, knowing i head some kind of head trauma (at that time I assumed it was from multiple concussions, 1 severe, 1 normal, and 3 mild ones).. but then again I'm absolutely passionate about football and don't fear the consequences of something I really wanna do (guess thats why the military was an easy option). only reason I didn't was because I was married at the time and she begged me to consider the possibilities..

damn...if only i had been single..that bitch took a lot from me lol :cool::ROFLMAO:

Anyway, cheers to St.Patty's !

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Lead there team in tackles at 128 along with others gone is just not fixable this year with this very weak draft after last years draft was so very deep. This year does have lots of OG's and a few pass rushers at its best riches. Junior Seau playing the same position will always make linebackers we know as thumpers as are strong safties like Lott was and our own McDonald brings the pain and sometimes SS are known to hurt themselves. I had only one concussion and they had to cut the lock off my locker so I could get undressed as I forgot the number. Offensive lineman in the 70's used there heads blocking so much more than today. They did'nt even allow us to extend our arms and hand usage that is so key now. We had to be able to knock people out with our forearms back then. The unreal ILB that leads the seachickens is just what we need on our D.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/03/18/chris-borland-nfl-retirement-youth-football/

Football Won’t Be the Same After Borland
As a parent, I often second-guessed my decision to not let my son even consider playing football until high school. After watching 49ers linebacker Chris Borland walk away from the game, my son may never have a say in the matter
By Greg A. Bedard

football-future-two-kids-800.jpg

Kike Calvo/AP Images for National Football League

Football isn’t going anywhere, certainly not anytime soon. Let’s get that out of the way. It’s difficult, if not impossible, to see the pool of NFL prospects drying up completely. But that pool will shrink, and some players will hang up their cleats much earlier than those of previous generations. That, in part, will be the lasting legacy of Chris Borland, who retired at age 24 despite not missing any time during his rookie season with a concussion or head trauma.

But players leaving the game in their prime (or even before entering their prime) won’t sound football’s death knell. There always will be players for whom the game is all they’ve ever known. They were born into a football family and played it ever since they can remember. It’s part of their DNA, and you’ll probably have to drag them off the field.

There will be players who view football as a means to an end. Whether that’s a college education or a high salary they wouldn’t attain in the real world, they’ll stay in the game as long as they can.

There will be players who take up the game and find that it just comes naturally. They are blessed with ability and instincts for football, and they won’t have the heart to turn their backs on those gifts.

But there will be others who don’t fit into those categories, those who in years past would have taken up the game just because that’s what people did—but who no longer will, because of safety concerns.

My son falls into that last category.

Very early on, my wife and I decided that our son, now 8, wouldn’t be allowed to even consider playing football until high school. If he wanted to play as a teenager, then we would have a lengthy discussion about it.

It was the same decision my parents made for me, and my father was a very good high school player who received a college scholarship. That meant no Boca Jets youth football with my friends. I had to wait until high school. When that time came, I went through spring practice as a freshman, but we moved. At my new school, I could play a sport I was better at (golf) in the fall. I didn’t really see much of a choice.

As parents, my wife and I didn’t have some anti-football epiphany. There wasn’t some groundbreaking research that we read. To us, it was a common-sense decision. Why would we have our son risk a major injury (to his head or otherwise) before his body could handle it?

In my life and through my job, I’ve come to view football as a sport that provides things that others perhaps can’t. Many of my high school buddies played football together, and they’ve shared experiences and bonds that I’ll never understand. But over the course of my career, I’ve seen the toll football can take. Yes, there are the former players who struggle to walk, and guys who have mangled hands, but the images that really hit home are of the players I covered.

When I covered Dolphins linebacker Zach Thomas, a great player whom Borland was most often compared to, we would get into arguments about what he perceived as overzealous questions about his health. I would ask his parents, sister and friends if they were concerned, and he didn’t like that very much.

But I would see him basically punch-drunk in the locker room after many a game. I could tell Thomas didn’t know what he was saying. I felt it was my duty to ask those questions, because I didn’t think anyone was protecting Thomas, even from himself. Maybe I was wrong to do that. I don’t know.

As a parent, you second-guess just about every decision you make, even when sound reasoning has shaped your course of action. Did I make the right choice? How will that affect my son or daughter years down the road? Did I take away a chance to learn life lessons?

Certainly, holding back football from my son is a decision that I had second-guessed along the way. But that’s where Borland’s decision comes in.

When ESPN broke the news on Monday night of Borland’s early retirement, my reaction was, “Wow,” then, quickly, “I knew we were right.” Not only did I feel reassured that we had made the right decision for our son, but the news likely emboldened us. Now there might not be much of a discussion if our son wants to play football. But that’s a few years down the road, and who knows what kinds of medical advancements might allow us to open our minds.

There have been early retirements in the NFL before. Just look at the likes of Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, Robert Smith, Al Toon, Wayne Chrebet and Jake Plummer. But no matter how loudly the pro-football crowd wants to proclaim otherwise, Borland’s departure is different.

Other players who retired this offseason could be readily explained. Jason Worilds, 27, was a talented player who never seemed to truly love the game (at least in the NFL) and decided to pursue something else. Patrick Willis, 30, was a terrific player for most of his eight seasons but had injury problems, and he wanted to make an impact off the field.

Jake Locker, 26, showed promise but didn’t come close to staying healthy in any of his four seasons. Maurice Jones-Drew, soon to be 30, played nine seasons as a running back, which is like playing 15 at any other position—and he was never the same after a 2012 foot injury. All of those players had made millions already.

Borland? Completely different, and shocking.

In his second season, he was about to ascend to the full-time starter role at inside linebacker for the storied 49ers in place of Willis. If he stayed healthy, Borland was on his way to making millions.

And Borland was relatively healthy in a football sense. He said he had two diagnosed concussions: one playing soccer in the eighth grade, another playing football as a sophomore in high school. He believed he sustained a concussion in training camp last year, but it went undiagnosed as he attempted to make the team. Borland only missed the last two games of his rookie season with an ankle injury.

Coming out of Wisconsin, he was known as a gamer, a guy who just loved playing and learning everything about his sport. Football was instinctive to him, and his intelligence was highly regarded. With all that going for him, he still gave up the game (and untold riches) after doing extensive research about concussions and the long-term effects of head trauma, namely the potential to develop chronic traumatic encephalopathy.

Parents everywhere who have kept their sons and daughters away from football must be looking at Borland and saying, “With all that he knows and has experienced, if he made that decision, then we must be doing the right thing.”

Maybe Borland will turn out to be an outlier. Maybe football doesn’t need my son, or the children of like-minded people. I’m willing to concede it doesn’t, not anytime soon.

But the pool of players going forward will be smaller, both from young kids staying on the sideline and from other NFL players looking at Borland’s decision and thinking that cashing out early is the smarter play.

Football isn’t going anywhere, but it won’t be the same after Borland.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/03/18/chris-borland-scott-fujita-nfl/

fujita-story.jpg

Joe Rimkus Jr./Getty Images

‘I Chickened Out’
Ex-linebacker Scott Fujita nearly walked away because of concussion concerns but couldn’t ‘get off the hamster wheel.’ His perspective on Chris Borland’s bold decision, plus answering questions about Deflategate, Marcus Mariota and more
By Peter King

There is no moral of the Chris Borland story yet. We don’t know, nor should we draw any hasty conclusions, about the meaning of a rising-star 24-year-old player’s decision to quit football after his first year in the NFL. It is certainly not meaningless when a promising linebacker leaves the game due to fear over his long-term health. But will others follow? Will the league redouble its health-and-safety efforts? And, in the end, isn’t there simply a danger to this game that those who play it and those who watch it are going to have to accept?

In my three decades covering football, I’ve met a lot of smart players. I went looking for one who would have much in common with Borland to see what he thought of the decision. So I spoke with three smart linebackers who I knew wouldn’t sugarcoat their feelings about what Borland had done. Two chose not to talk about it—one because his career is teetering on the edge of being over, and another because he said his feelings about it were too raw, and because he didn’t know enough about why Borland had quit.

But recently retired Scott Fujita—a linebacker like Borland, a mid-round draft pick like Borland, a captain-of-the-defense-type like Borland, and extremely smart like Borland—did speak, and eloquently.

Fujita, now living in California, said he greatly admired what Borland did. He said he almost quit at age 30, after his eighth season in the league, after he played for the Super Bowl-winning Saints in 2009, because he’d sustained a concussion in the Super Bowl win over Indianapolis and thought he should walk away.

“But I chickened out,” Fujita said. “A week or so before free agency began [in 2010], everything cleared up, I felt good, and I realized I still wanted to play.”

And there was the matter of a three-year, $14-million contract with Cleveland ($8 million guaranteed) to consider. Fujita played. Well, sort of. He finished each of his three seasons in Cleveland injured, and never had a year there befitting his talent. As Fujita said: “I limped to the finish line of my career.”

His story: “I was paid well in Cleveland, and my family and I will benefit from it the rest of our lives. That’s what is tough late in your career. After I got the concussion in the Super Bowl, in the weeks after, my wife would say to me, ‘You just don’t seem like yourself.’ But you think you’ve got one last chance for a bite at the apple, and you feel good enough, and you figure you should take it.

“That’s why, with Borland, my first reaction is he was brave and smart and courageous to make a decision like this. And mature, for a 24-year-old. How many guys that age would do their homework on their own and research head trauma and be able to come up with such a major life decision with such an attractive football future ahead of them?

“I can tell you this: No matter how intelligently you think about your future, and a decision like that, it’s tough to get off the hamster wheel and stop playing.”

One of the reasons I reached out to Fujita was to try to put things in perspective. I always felt, even with the toughest issues, he could look at things from all sides. Which is why I wanted to know what he thought about the long-term effect of Borland’s decision—if he could see one yet.

He can’t. It’s too early. Not enough has happened.

“I don’t see this as an indictment of football necessarily,” Fujita said. “This is just one more piece in a broader conversation about a very complicated puzzle. I’ve always said the biggest threat to football, long-term, will be a diminishing talent pool. But we don’t know if there will be one yet, or when that will happen. So everyone should cool it with the hyperbole.”

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
2 things
1) @Selassie I -I believe more people suffer concussions playing soccer because more people play soccer than football. I spend a lot of time around college age folks, I work at a college, and those lady soccer players are always concussed.

2) Chris Borland is an idiot! It's a safe bet that the advances in medical technology will be able to get him a new brain.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
fucked-jpg.5719

On one hand these are funny, but I also hate how these things imply too much credit to those guys. They were 8-8, finished out the season 1-5. They were "So Fxxxed" already with those overrated guys. I would have loved to see those asshats suffer more and not get away with being rats jumping off the sinking ship, especially Harbaugh. Oh well, just a minor gripe, overall big picture it's always an enjoyable season when the 49ers suck.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Chris Long is part of this roundtable discussion.
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/03/18/nfl-p...ris-borland-money-and-the-future-of-football/

roundtable-borland-960.jpg

Getty Images, AP Images

NFL Players Roundtable: On Chris Borland, Money and the Future of Football
Nine NFL players discuss the Chris Borland decision, their thoughts of football’s long-term effects and where the game is headed

Social media is awash with myriad perspectives on 49ers linebacker Chris Borland’s stunning retirement. Some consider it a drop in the bucket; others call it a watershed moment in the evolving relationship between athletes and a violent game. There was praise and vitriol for the 24-year-old Ohio native. As pundits argued the future of the sport and the merits of Borland’s motives, we wondered: What do other NFL players think?

The panel:

• Tim Hightower, 28, Saints running back
  • Antoine Bethea, 30, 49ers safety
  • Geoff Schwartz, 28, Giants guard
  • Stevie Brown, 27, free agent, former Giants safety
  • A.J. Hawk, 31, Bengals linebacker
  • Barry Cofield, 30, free agent, former Washington nose tackle
  • Eric Winston, 31, Bengals offensive tackle, NFLPA president
  • Chris Long, 29, Rams defensive end
  • Andre Williams, 22, Giants running back
(Editor’s note: The players were free to skip any questions. Some of the answers have been edited for clarity.)

1. What was your reaction to Chris Borland retiring at age 24 because he didn’t want to take the health risks that he associated with football?

Brown: It was definitely kind of shocking.

Hawk: I was definitely surprised.

Winston: Surprised. But it sounded courageous. For Chris, the risk-reward just wasn’t there.

Hightower: Mixed emotions. On one side, the guy knows what he signed up for. This isn’t a finesse sport. That being said, with everything coming out about the long-term effects of head injuries, you have to respect the decision at his young age. That takes discipline to look down the road.

Schwartz: I was surprised to read that it was a proactive retirement, not because of a current head injury. That’s probably what I take away from this story. It’s tough to walk away from this game and especially on your own terms.

Cofield: ‎Obviously he’s entitled to make the decision to retire, though I don’t think this should be used as an opportunity to beat up on the game. I feel medical advances and heightened awareness have made the game safer than ever. But I applaud him for doing what he thinks is right regardless of the backlash.

Williams: The first time I met him was at the rookie symposium. He seemed like a cool, quiet guy. When they came to MetLife and played us, I was like, ‘Man, this guy is going to be good,’ and now he is a former NFL player.

Hawk: I don’t know Chris personally, even though he is from basically the same hometown as I am [in Ohio]. I’d heard about him for forever, how good he was, and how good of a guy he was. I was surprised, but I definitely have huge respect for a guy who can leave on his own, when he just felt like it was time.

Long: When I watched him play last year, he jumped out at me. He really plays with passion. After the rookie year he had, how many people would have the balls to do what he did? There’s a lot of pressure on football players, a lot of pressure on what you should be, what you should become, because you’re good enough to be at the top of your profession. That was a big-boy decision. And this was the time to make it. After you’ve played three, four years, you’re in it. You say, This is what I do. And that’s it.

2. Have you ever felt the way Borland does about head injuries?

Schwartz: No, I haven’t. Luckily I’ve never had a head injury so it’s never crossed my mine.

Bethea: I’d be lying if I said I didn’t. Playing this game and reading the stories of the guys who played before me, I can’t say I never thought about it. But at the end of the day, there are thousands of guys who played this game and are doing fine at whatever stage of life they’re in.

Brown: No. But if I were to have a major head and neck injury, there would definitely be some kind of major consideration that would take place.

Hawk: No. I’ve been very lucky, though. Everyone is built so differently, and it seems like it’s the luck of the draw when it comes to injuries, and head injuries, especially. I don’t know the science, but I think some people are predisposed. Genetically, some people I think are more prone to having concussions. There’s such mystery about it still. The next 10, 15, 20 years will be crazy to see what more we learn.

Winston: Sure. A hundred percent. I’ve thought about it. But the education has helped me. I feel I know the risks I’m taking every day. So I am comfortable with the choices I’ve made.

Long: Any player who says he hasn’t thought about it, any player who says he doesn’t think about the impact of the head trauma, is either lying or just being irresponsible. The generations before us didn’t know. The generation after us will know everything about the risks. Our generation—we have some information but certainly not all.

Williams: The way I think about life, I kind of think everything is a risk and there is not necessarily any surefire way you can avoid it. You might not be playing football, but you are driving every day, or flying in planes. [Giants tight end] Larry [Donnell] was just on a plane that skidded off the runway. There are risks once you open your eyes in the morning.

I don’t necessarily look at football as doing anything above and beyond. I also think I was built differently from somebody else. I might be more able to play football than someone else, so it’s “safer” for me to play than someone else. I think God puts people in different positions in life where certain risks are mitigated. I don’t necessarily worry about my health when I’m playing football. That would detract from my game.

3. When you cover the league for a while, you encounter a lot of players who seem to be supporting an entire clan, pulling whole extended families out of poverty. What percentage of NFL players do you believe play to support their family as the No. 1 reason? And would you have played football if it wasn’t financially necessary for you?

Hightower: Especially early in careers, I would guess at least 70%. Unless you’re coming from a well-off family you are the stream of income. Everybody needs some help. I think there are a lot of guys who might otherwise not play because of health concerns who absolutely play for the money obligations to family.

Long: I do think a large portion of players come from a background where they’re pressed financially to help their family. That wasn’t the case with me. I was lucky that I didn’t have provide for my family, but so many of my teammates had to.

Williams: I am passionate about the game, yet if I wasn’t getting paid what I am to play, I might have tried to find a different route. It’s hard to say that I’m not playing for the money; everyone is playing for the money to a certain degree. If that check didn’t come in on Wednesday, it would be a different story for a lot of people.

The love of the game definitely drives me, but it’s a business. It’s not like I check in at the regular job after I leave the office from watching film. It’s hard to say what percentage play to support their family. I think they all do unless they come from a background where that’s not really necessary, and I think that’s a small percentage.

Cofield: If I won the lottery I would still play because I genuinely enjoy the game and love the camaraderie of football and the passion of sport in general. Graduating from college, Northwestern in particular, I don’t believe that playing in the NFL was financially necessary. It did, however, provide an earning potential that was hard to pass up.

Bethea: I wouldn’t play if it wasn’t lucrative. The reason you’re doing the job is because it helps you live a certain way and it helps you support the people you support.

Brown: I love the game of football, and I love playing football. If there was something else I could potentially do where I would make the same amount of money, I might. But the whole competition part of it, being around all my brothers in the locker room—I don’t know if you could replace that at a desk job making the same amount of money. It’s just kind of different.

Hawk: I would have played regardless. That was never my intention or goal going in. I like football, it’s fun for me, and I still feel the same way about the game. Football is one sport you can’t mail in; you can’t go 50 percent. If you’re on the field and your heart is not there, and you don’t want to be there, it’s going to show quickly. Other sports, you can coast by at times, but in football you’re going to get hurt quickly if that’s the case.

4. Is there a dollar figure you have in your mind that, when you reach it, you think you may retire?

Bethea: At the beginning the motivation was to play ball. But then you realize the people you’re playing for are looking at it as a business. At some point I have to as well. That’s what guys start to do. They say, when I get to this number here’s what I’m going to do.

Schwartz: No. I’ve actually never thought about this. I’m happy with my current contract, and I want to play that out. If I’m lucky enough to keep playing, that will be excellent.

Hawk: That’s never crossed my mind. I’ve heard guys talk about, if they get a certain amount, they think they can live on that the rest of their lives. Whatever that number is, they should probably double it.

Brown: You can never have too much money. My goal in the NFL is to play for 10 years and play well for 10 years. If I am able to reach 10 years, I’ve had a great career, no matter the amount of money I’ve made. Then I’ll be happy. Then also, if you get past 10 years, you get benefits from the league for your family until they are 23 or so, if you have kids.

Hightower: When I entered the league I had a certain number, you know, a couple million. Now it’s about living a certain lifestyle and providing that for my family.

Cofield: I think age and ability play more into retirement than a certain dollar figure. Happiness outweighs account balance every time. And I’m happy playing football.

Williams: I don’t think it’s a dollar figure. The way I see it, there are certain people that say, I want to play this game until I can’t anymore, I want to play for the rest of life, but no one can. I want to play until I hit my peak and I’m maintaining my peak, then there will be a decline, and I’ll start to notice that decline and so will everyone else. At that point, I will walk away from the game not just because of the physical [skill] decline, but because I want to run around with my kids and play sports with them. It is a dangerous game, and they say the injury rate is 100 percent. I want to be healthy when I’m finished.

5. Do you believe that 25 years from now your mental faculties will be affected by having played football?

Winston: Sure. A hundred percent. And not just in a cognitive way, but the entire way of life. Physically, Mentally. We know it’s not going to be perfect. But I feel comfortable with the risks. I’m willing to take the risk.

Brown: No, I don’t think so. I haven’t had any concussions or any kind of trauma or anything like that. So I don’t think anything will be affected.

Schwartz: I know my wife is scared of that. I try not to think about it. It’s a risk of playing this game. Mentally I’m still just as sharp and haven’t had a concussion in my career. For every scary story about CTE, there are plenty of stories of guys who leave the game and are successful off the field without any side effects. I try to think about that.

Long: If I was a betting man, I’d say yes. Your brain isn’t made for your head to run into stuff. Your brain moves around, and it’s not supposed to move around violently like that. Whether it’s how coherent you are, how alert you are, you just don’t know. But honestly, my barometer is my dad [Hall of Fame former Raider Howie Long].

He is as sharp as any 55-year-old person I know. He played a violent 13 years in the NFL. The game was rougher then. Physically, from the neck down, he’s pretty shot. But mentally he’s all there. He’s never spaced out. So I look at him, and I’m encouraged. But I don’t really know. No one knows.

Hightower: I’ve had those thoughts in relation to my knee and being able to walk when I’m older, but not about my brain, because I haven’t had concussions. My prayer is that it doesn’t happen. Smoking predisposes you to cancer, but not everyone who smokes gets cancer. No one can say that because I played football I’m going to have these problems. But I’m not blind to the fact that there’s a chance there will be problems.

Hawk: I don’t believe that now. I’m definitely more aware now of anything going on with my head or any hits I take. [When I was younger] I didn’t care; I never felt like there was ever anything to worry about. I try to look at all sides, and there is so much we don’t know. I don’t want to talk like nothing affects me, but I haven’t shown any signs.

If I were one of those guys who had a big history of concussions and had trouble coming back, I would probably be worried. I’m not too worried about that right now. The rest of my body, yeah, there are definitely going to be things I struggle with. But you can get a hip replacement or a knee replacement. You can’t replace your brain.

Cofield: I don’t believe so. I have no concussion history besides a JV basketball ‎incident. And I feel great from the neck up. I’m more worried about my joints, etc.

Williams: No, I don’t think so. I’ve never had a concussion. There might have been some times where I got up and felt off balance, but I can count those moments on one hand, using two fingers. One time, when I first started playing ball—I guess it was sixth grade—I got hit and got up and everything was yellow.

I don’t know what that meant, but it faded after a while and I was fine. I could think straight; there never was a moment when I had mental fog. I think some people are more prone to concussions than other people. I think maybe it could happen, but I don’t think it’s likely the way I play the game. Hopefully it doesn’t happen. I’m praying it doesn’t happen. You never know. But 25 years from now, I think I’ll be alright.

Bethea: It’s a tough question. I’m always going to look on the positive side and say, no, I’m going to be fine. I’m going to do whatever I need to do to keep my brain working, whether it’s reading or doing different brain exercises. God forbid I’m wrong.

6. Is the NFL doing enough about the issue of head trauma?

Williams: I can’t say for certain. If you were asking my opinion, I think this game generates a lot of money, and I’m not sure how much of that money is going to making the game safer as opposed to marketing the game and making it more popular. I’m not sure what the ratio is. And as crazy as technology is today, the helmet hasn’t changed that much. I don’t know how much research is devoted into trying to design a safer helmet.

Hightower: Enough is relative. The more education that comes out, the more strides they’re able to make. There are steps being taken in terms of the concussion protocols. Guys who played in the ’70s would have greatly benefited from these rules. You’d like to see those guys being well taken care of today.

Schwartz: I don’t know what else they can do. The game is violent. We now know the risks. None of us can say we don’t know what we signed up for. I think it’s up to the players in certain cases to be responsible and take themselves out when they get concussed. But then again, we are competitors and want to play. I get why players don’t always report them.

Brown: They’re trying to take the head out of the game more and more with new rules and regulations. They are trying. I think it is enough to an extent. You’re not allowed to lead with the head or to use the helmet as a battering ram or weapon. You’re going to have accidents—it’s an intense sport played at high speeds. You’re not going to be able to completely take it out, but they’re trying.

Hawk: I think so. I think they have been trying everything they can, but there is never going to be a foolproof thing, because it is up to us as players. Athletic trainers or coaches or anyone on the sidelines can’t always tell, unless a guy gets knocked out cold, and that doesn’t happen that often. And not only in games but in practice, too. If a guy blacks out for a couple seconds or gets a little wobbly, you can’t see that from the sidelines always.

It’s happening in the trenches, and in the middle of the pile, and guys can play it off. If guys aren’t going to be honest, there’s no way of attending to every single one. There will never be a foolproof plan. It’s up to us as players. The culture is changing, which is a good thing. They’re not ostracized if they let someone know they may have a concussion. I’ve never seen a coach or a doctor try to throw someone back in; it’s not like the movies. But how often are guys reporting? They told us the numbers of concussions are down in the league. Who knows? Reported ones, sure.

But that doesn’t mean anything to me. Some guys are scared, because we have big-time players sitting out a couple games for a concussion, and while they’re out, someone takes their job. We see it all throughout the league. Especially for a rookie or a bubble guy who really wants to make his team, that’s a big deal on their minds.

Cofield: I can’t possibly say what’s enough but I can definitely see a difference in the protocol even since I arrived in the league. Even we as players are quick to notify trainers when a teammate or opponent seems impaired‎.

Bethea: The league can do more. The NFL has the ability and the resources to do anything it wants to do. Unlimited resources for research and technology. I’m not saying they’re not doing anything, but I have to believe there’s more they can do.

chris-long-howie-long-360.jpg

“My father played a violent 13 years in the NFL. Physically, from the neck down, he’s pretty shot. But mentally, he’s all there.” Photo from 2008. (Al Tielemans/SI)

7. Do you ever have fear on the football field?

Long: I do fear that in one play, everything you work for can be over. But physical fear? No.

Winston: No. Not at all. I’ve just never felt that way.

Hawk: No. I think everyone has a healthy amount of, I wouldn’t call it fear, but healthy, anxious energy. I try to work as hard as I can during the week to be healthy and on the field on Sundays. But football has a lot of moving parts, and there’s luck involved. I wouldn’t say I have a fear, though, of bad things happening.

Schwartz: Can’t play this game with fear. You will play slower, and hurt yourself or someone else.

Cofield: Fear of head trauma? Absolutely not.

Williams: I have Spidey senses on the field, but I don’t think I have fear. Sometimes someone might be diving at me a certain way, and I catch it out of my peripheral vision, and I do something to avoid it because I feel like if I don’t, I might get injured. I don’t think I am fearful on the field. As far as a game-to-game fear of getting injured, I don’t necessarily feel that.

Bethea: You can’t play football thinking you’re going to get hurt. That’s not only football, that’s with anything. You could be up there giving a speech in front of 1,000 people and if you’re up there thinking, oh man this speech isn’t going well, then it won’t.

Hightower: Off the field, you’re watching film and you see yourself get twisted up and you think about certain things. But when you’re playing, things happen so quickly you don’t have time to be afraid.

8. Final thoughts?

Hawk: I don’t fault Chris for anything he’s doing. A lot of people will say he’ll regret it and try to come back, but I guarantee it wasn’t something where he just decided one day to stop. He was thinking about it for a while. I’m sure it is going to be weird for a while, but he’ll move on. I can respect when a guy can leave something he is so passionate about, for better quality of life.

Schwartz: I just think this Borland situation is very unique and brings up some great dialogue. Like I said, I respect his tough decision. It couldn’t have been easy. I also don’t think the NFL is going away anytime soon. Too many guys are ready to play.

Brown: I feel like his situation is his situation. He made the decision that was best for himself. I’m not going to argue with him. I hope it doesn’t deter parents from letting their kids play the game. Kids are going to get roughed up, but if they’re taught properly, they will be safe on the field. I hope more kids keep continuing to play football and keep it going.

Williams: A big part of health and safety is also the kind of culture we are building around the game. When I step on the field, no matter who my opponent is, and as much as all my fans are telling me, “you need to hate the Eagles,” I don’t hate anybody in an Eagles uniform. I respect my opponents because they are risking their health on the field every day. I have a respect for the game and for the people who make the game what it is.

I don’t play with hate in my heart, or to injure people. I pray before every game that people remember why they are playing the game, and not those negative feelings, because I think sometimes that’s where injuries come from. Injury prevention is in terms of what we do with the helmet, but also the culture surrounding the game, and I think that’s just as important.

Winston: The game’s not easy. Walking away from the game’s not easy. It’s an intoxicating thing. We all have to ask ourselves: ‘Do we want to keep playing? Do we want to take the risks?’ For me, I want to. For Chris, it sounds like he didn’t.

Long: Am I sure I’m going to have cognitive problems? No, but I know enough about the risks that I’m comfortable with them. I don’t think money or fame will ever be the driving force for me, and for Chris, it sure seems like he wasn’t concerned with those either.

RamBill

Legend
In light of Chris Borland choosing to retire after one season in the NFL, PFT’s Mike Florio wonders if Borland is just the first of many that will decide that football’s reward is simply not worth the risk.

Watch Florio Talk Borland

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I found it a little amusing that Long skipped the "dollar figure reached" question, given his cap number. :whistle:
And that he basically called a couple guys liars/irresponsible...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/2015/03/19/nfl-robert-smith-chris-borland-early-retirement/

smith-960.jpg

David E. Klutho/Sports Illustrated/The MMQB

‘I’d Rather Walk Away Early Than Limp Away Late’
Long before Chris Borland retired from the NFL at age 24, Vikings running back Robert Smith passed on untold millions to preserve his health. He gives The MMQB an inside look at the league’s risk-reward paradigm, and what it takes to leave the game in your prime
By Don Banks

Fourteen years ago last month, the surprise retirement saga in the NFL belonged to Vikings running back Robert Smith, the game-breaking eighth-year veteran who stepped away from football at age 28, fresh off a career-best season in 2000. That year Smith led the NFC with 1,521 rushing yards, and for the first time played in all 16 games for a talented division-winning team that advanced to the NFC Championship Game, where it lost in a blowout to the New York Giants.

Smith was long considered one of the NFL’s most thoughtful and enlightened players of his era, and always counted issues relating to health and science to be among his life’s passions. At one point in his collegiate career at Ohio State, he was a pre-med major who foresaw a post-football future in medicine, and he retains a strong interest in health care and preventative medicine to this day.

When he chose to exit the NFL, Smith was slated to become a free agent in March 2001, with the expectation of eliciting a contract offer projected to be worth as much as $20-$40 million. But Smith, now 43, never chased that money and quietly announced his retirement via email, explaining that he valued the ability to live a normal, pain-free lifestyle in the coming years far more than he did another monster NFL payday. To this day, he still holds the league’s career record for the longest average touchdown run (27.2 yards on 32 rushing scores).

With the abrupt and health-conscious retirement of 49ers first-year linebacker Chris Borland stunning the league this week, I spoke with Smith on Wednesday to get both his thoughts about Borland’s surprising and impact-laden decision, and a retrospective look at Smith’s choice to leave the game in his prime, when so few professional athletes manage to make a departure on their own terms.

BANKS: What was your initial reaction to hearing the news of Borland’s retirement after just one season in the NFL, and his explanation that he no longer thought the risks of potential brain injury were justified?

SMITH: I don’t know Borland, but he is represented by the same agent, Neil Cornrich, who represented me throughout my playing career. So we have that in common. From all indications, and this is just my take on things, I think Chris Borland enjoyed playing. But I think he knows what kind of commitment an NFL career was going to be, and quite frankly with the way he plays the game, there is only one way to do it.

I just don’t think he wanted to stop at some other point. I don’t think he wants to make the commitment to play the game and do it the way it needs to be done, because if it’s done the way it needs to be done, then he might not be able to turn it off at some later point. That’s the way it seems to me looking at his situation.

BANKS: It’s not an apples to apples comparison, because you were 28 and had played eight seasons in the league, but you walked away while you were still one of the game’s best running backs, drawing comparisons to Jim Brown and Barry Sanders. Can you relate to Borland’s decision, because just as you did, he caught a lot of people off guard and based his decision on the quality of his post-football lifestyle?

SMITH: Looking back at it, the reason people were so surprised was because they didn’t really know what was going on. My last season was the only season of my career I didn’t miss any games and I still needed knee surgery after the year. When I tore my
ACL in ’93 [as a Vikings rookie], it wasn’t just a simple ACL tear. I broke the bottom of the femur and I believe that did some damage to the articular surface, and when that happens you can fray the meniscus easier, and you start getting those patches up there so that it’s an uneven surface. There isn’t a smooth sliding any more.

Then after the ’98 season, I had to have a microfracture surgery on that knee. And then after the 2000 season I had to have a microfracture on that knee, so that knee was wearing down. I had both of those microfractures after the ACL, and it’s the same knee.

It’s funny because with all this retirement news lately, with Patrick Willis a couple weeks ago and Jason Worilds, all this is going on and literally I’m sitting in the doctor’s office scheduling another knee surgery on my right knee. I got out because I didn’t want to be a 45-year-old knee-replacement guy and that’s what I would have been. And everything that’s going on right now is just confirmation that that’s true. What’s going on with my knee now, I can’t imagine if I had played longer, it would have been shredded.

BANKS: So 14 years into your retirement, what is going on with your knee?

SMITH: I have to have the medial and lateral meniscus repaired. The ACL construction has come loose to a degree, but they tighten them up to a degree beyond what would naturally occur. They’re not concerned about the knee, it’s stable. At Ohio State just last week, they did the first artificial meniscus implant, so I may be a candidate for that if it comes to that at some point. But it’s nothing severe that I deal with. I’m running around with the kids, my 3- and 5-year-olds, jumping on the trampoline with them, so I’m pretty happy with that.

BANKS: Hearing how much Borland did his homework and his research on brain injuries, and tried to come to a well-considered decision about his playing future, did that remind you of yourself circa early 2001, trying to take yourself out of the well-paying moment and thinking about life beyond football?

SMITH: Oh, absolutely, and I think that consideration was always there with me, that I’d rather walk away early than limp away late. It just doesn’t make any sense to push it further than you want to push it. Especially at our positions, because I think linebacker and running back are the two most dangerous positions in the game.

BANKS: Why do you say that? Because of the collision factor?

SMITH: It’s not just the collision factor, it’s the amount of distance that you move by the time you absorb the contact. Obviously on the offensive and defensive lines you have more contact, but it’s short-distance contact and you don’t get hit in the open as much—and you don’t get hit from as many angles simultaneously as you do at linebacker and running back. At linebacker you’re in more free space, you’re moving anywhere from five to six or even eight to 10 yards to make a play. You’ve got safeties coming down behind you, and you’ve got linemen coming back at you in front of you.

So you’ve got a lot of different angles where bodies are moving and I think that’s what really gets you in the game, getting sandwiched. The straight-on hits don’t do it as much as those side impacts that you don’t anticipate, the twists and turns. And it’s the same thing that happens at running back. You look at the way that running backs and linebackers line up, and it’s almost exactly the same. We’re that same distance from the line and you get that head of steam and you get up in there and twist, crack and all that fun stuff that happens.

BANKS: Judging from your experience, how difficult is it to do what Borland did?

SMITH: Just thinking about what you want to do with your life long-term and getting past the game, that’s not easy. People just hear the numbers on the money available and that’s just it. They can’t move past there, and I’ve had so many people say to me, ‘How could you pass up the kind of money you were in line for in free agency?’ And it’s true, I could have signed another big deal. But first of all, I had always made good money and [my agent] Neil had done a really good job for me.

But by the same token, if you think about what happens to you and you think about your life, especially as you age, wouldn’t you would pay anything to get your health back if you lost it? Why would you do anything continuously for any amount of money that gave you a very good chance of losing your health? I mean continually rolling the dice like that, it doesn’t make any sense to me and never did.

BANKS: Did any thoughts about ending your career so early ever have anything to do with the potential for brain injury? Was that ever one of your considerations?

SMITH: None. Absolutely none. That really wasn’t a story then. It’s not something that was on anybody’s radar. I know people say the league knew, but the league is not a research institution. And people will say they had research saying this and that, but there was research on a lot of different things.

[Former NFL defensive lineman and NFLPA president] Trace Armstrong did some things to looking into improving our helmets, but that was just the helmets. It wasn’t looking at players and saying we’ve got this great long list of players suffering these long-term effects. There was no clear-cut evidence or straight line between, ‘Okay, he received long-term hits and now he’s suffering in later life.’ That’s just something that wasn’t really there then.

smith-800.jpg

Damian Strohmeyer/Sports Illustrated/The MMQB

BANKS: How long did you grapple with retirement before coming to a decision? Was it weeks, months, years?

SMITH: The thought process was a couple years. After having knee surgery after the first year of a new five-year deal I signed [in 1998], I started thinking about it seriously. The last two years of that deal were voided because of performance incentives, so it really wound up a being a three-year contract that ended after 2000. After the first year of that deal I was starting to think this might not be the best thing to continue doing.

But I enjoyed the game more than I ever thought I would and those last year two years I just really enjoyed it. I just really enjoyed being around the team and being relatively healthy compared to the first four years of my career, and kind of demonstrating what I knew all along: that if I was healthy I could play this game pretty well.

But then after the 2000 season, it was like, ‘OK, my contract’s up, and I’ve pretty much proven my point.’ I had become the team’s alltime leading rusher—[a mark since surpassed by Adrian Peterson]—and I had done what many people said I wouldn’t be able to do, which is play at the highest level and play healthy. The contract was up, and I certainly didn’t want to go play for another team. I didn’t want to have to come back after signing a new deal and then play a year and be done. It was important to me to finish the contract. It felt a lot cleaner to walk away with the deal being done.

BANKS: Borland said he wanted to be proactive, and if he waited for symptoms it could already be too late. Do you think the kind of approach he took to making this decision changes the dynamic at all regarding the risk-reward of playing in the NFL? Or is his story just a blip, and there will always be an endless supply of football talent to draw from?

SMITH: There’s a lot to this story. I think Borland though is an unusual case, because after exposing yourself to all the things that it takes to get to that level, then to play one year and say, ‘Well, OK, that’s it.’ I don’t think a lot of players are going to put themselves through what they have to do to get that point, just to get there and say, ‘OK, now, I’m done.’ I just don’t see that happening.

What’s going to happen, I believe, is there’s going to be more people on the other end of it that aren’t making the decision to play the game. There’s going to be athletes or parents who make that call. But I don’t think that necessarily robs or eliminates the necessary numbers the NFL needs. Still, it has to have some impact on the quality of talent, because there’s going to be some talented guys that choose to play other sports.

Some of that probably already happens anyway; LeBron James could have probably played tight end in the NFL. There are those rare athletes who can play multiple sports that will just say there’s no reason for me to play football. It’s not worth the risk.

BANKS: Ever come to regret the decision you made to retire so young?

SMITH: No, and it’s funny because everything that has happened has kind of really re-enforced my decision, from hearing everything about head trauma in recent years to what’s happened with my knees. Having the kids and experiencing what I envisioned years ago, being able to play in a pain-free way with my kids, that’s my happiest possible scenario. It’s kind of all gone the way I’d hoped it would go.

BANKS: And did you feel that same way even when football season rolled around in 2001, your first year of retirement?

SMITH: I don’t think there’s any question I could have played more. But my knee was clearly wearing down. I felt great at the time, but some of that is youth and some of that is arrogance. Because if you look at what happened, I had two microfracture surgeries in three years, so clearly something was wearing down in that knee.

And you have to remember what happened that summer in 2001. That was when [former Ohio State and Vikings teammate] Korey [Stringer] died [of heat-related issues early in training camp]. So it was really tough. Part of me wished I was there, and part of me was glad that I didn’t have to see it. I was an absolute wreck at that time. I had so many mixed emotions about the decision I had made in relation to what happened with Korey that I can’t even separate the two. But I never regretted leaving. Because if I left for a good reason, it was still a good reason even as time passed.

BANKS: What’s the lesson you think will linger from Borland’s example?

SMITH: I know he’s not the last guy who will come to this decision, but I do think this is such a rare case, with him being so successful in his first year. I’m guessing that if guys thought it was worth hanging in there long enough to make the league, they’re going to at least want to play some and maybe get through one contract and maybe get some money before they make the decision to walk away. I don’t know that we’ll see this extraordinarily rare case again, where a guy will play only one really good year. Unless there’s something dramatic where they suffer some sort of serious injury.

Because I can tell you this: There’s a reason we send 18- and 19-year-olds to war, very young men. At that age, your mind just doesn’t operate the same way that it some day will. You think you’re invincible, especially when you’re that successful in the game of football. You have no idea the s— I did off the field, because you really think you can do no damn wrong, and won’t suffer the consequences for the stupid s— you do. Most guys on the field don’t think they’re going to have to suffer the consequences from playing the game either.

What I honestly hope Borland’s story does is kind of help get guys into a mindset earlier that they have to start thinking about what’s next. Because the end comes in a way that’s forced on most people, and most people aren’t ready for that.​

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Bernie: Stunning early NFL retirements are a warning
• By Bernie Miklasz

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colu...cle_f439f518-82ad-5be9-a1c3-7752b854cb38.html
More than 30 percent of NFL players eventually are afflicted with Alzheimer’s or dementia.
— Bernie

While I think the conversation needs to occur and there are definite concerns, I wish that some research was done before people start throwing out scary statements or stats or at least give those stats perspective...

such as the quote above...sounds really bad...but....
1 in 3 seniors dies with Alzheimer's or another dementia
http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_facts_and_figures.asp

congratz if you reach 60+ you got the same odds.

Now if that stat was for Fb players at age 45 or clarified the perspective such that it actually was different than the norm...but it doesn't and so it just frustrates me since it is just sensationalism journalism that in the end hurts the discussion...

sorry maybe I am just salty at Bernie.....