SF's Borland quits over safety issues

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
BERKELEY, Calif. -- San Francisco 49ers linebacker Chris Borland, one of the NFL's top rookies last season, told "Outside the Lines" on Monday that he is retiring because of concerns about the long-term effects of repetitive head trauma.

Borland, 24, said he notified the 49ers on Friday. He said he made his decision after consulting with family members, concussion researchers, friends and current and former teammates, and studying what is known about the relationship between football and neurodegenerative disease.

"I just honestly want to do what's best for my health," Borland told "Outside the Lines." "From what I've researched and what I've experienced, I don't think it's worth the risk."

Borland becomes the most prominent NFL player to leave the game in his prime because of concerns about brain injuries. More than 70 former players have been diagnosed with progressive neurological disease following their deaths, and numerous studies have shown a connection between the repetitive head trauma associated with football, brain damage and issues such as depression and memory loss.

More
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...er-chris-borland-retires-head-injury-concerns

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow. I want to be happy because of the niners implosion but this story bothers me

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Some players are cut out for the rough grind of the NFL life, doesn't break my heart that they lose Willis and then Willis' possible replacement.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Wow I guess he isn't buying in o all the new equipment and safety rules the NFL has implemented. Really too bad he was a 9er

I do think the "most prominent NFL player" is a bit of a reach. Decent player but he was a rookie and that just doesn't make him qualified for that praise in my opinion.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Holy f@#$&cking shyte!!

49ers must be beside themselves with all this crazy news. This literally is the craziest off season I've ever seen for one team. I almost feel bad, but more than anythimg , it's sad to see two young men with such immense talent retire at a young age, regardless of jersey.

In total shock, kid had tons of potential. So crazy.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
It is a VIOLENT game. It is why I will NEVER bad mouth a Player for not taking a pay cut. Ownership will cut you for performance or financial reasons. Players, in my opinion, have every right to maximize their dollars. They are the ones assuming the permanent risk.

V3

Hall of Fame
Wow. I wanted the Rams to draft him last year. Sorta glad they didn't now. No problems with the decision, though.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Good for he and his family.
There's also the slight chance that he doesn't want to play football because he just doesn't like playing anymore.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Wow!!! Good for him. Borland is mature beyond his years.

If I had his talent I'd put my trust in pain killers. I'd earn that wheelchair.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Good on the guy. Hope he's made enough money to set himself up in whatever he decides to do now. Really smart decision.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
It is a VIOLENT game. It is why I will NEVER bad mouth a Player for not taking a pay cut. Ownership will cut you for performance or financial reasons. Players, in my opinion, have every right to maximize their dollars. They are the ones assuming the permanent risk.
And some Rams fans bitching about Sam not taking a pay cut

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I do think the "most prominent NFL player" is a bit of a reach.

Agreed but he was really good.

"In his second start filling in for Willis, Borland recorded 18 tackles, 15 solo and three tackles for loss against the St. Louis Rams. His 18 tackles were the most tackles for a single player league-wide and included a "suplex-like" tackle of running back Tre Mason.

On December 20, 2014, Borland was placed on season ending IR with an ankle injury. Borland finished his rookie season with 108 tackles, 1 sack, and 2 interceptions in only starting 8 games."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Borland#2014_season