SF's Borland quits over safety issues

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Wow I guess he isn't buying in o all the new equipment and safety rules the NFL has implemented. Really too bad he was a 9er

I do think the "most prominent NFL player" is a bit of a reach. Decent player but he was a rookie and that just doesn't make him qualified for that praise in my opinion.

Maybe it should say the youngest and most promising player to retire due to injury concern.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Borland becomes the most prominent NFL player to leave the game in his prime because of concerns about brain injuries.

He wasn't the most prominent, he was the most prominent to leave in his prime expressly due to concerns about brain injuries.

I brought this up before... Popularity is fickle... The NFL's popularity could drop off a cliff if something bad happens on the field... One twitching body that's clearly a bad neuro injury and Roger Goodell won't be able PC his way out of that.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
I know I won't let my little man play football. I admire Borland for his honesty and foresight. Football is a violent game that will change your life forever. I once heard the great Jack Snow say something like, "once you have played a down in the NFL your body will never be the same."

jjab360

Legend
Wow, I know concussions are scary but I have to wonder what he found that made him want to retire so early on. Scary stuff.

49ers are going to suck now, btw.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Did he have a concussion?

Anyway he wasn't too concerned about tre's health when he pile drove him into the ground head first.

Athos

Legend
Whiners now have no defense left. Aldon, Gun Toting, Smith, will be all alone on an island.

That said, man is probably right. NFL safety rules are a crock of shit and their head trauma coverups more so.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Just goes to show that it all starts from the top. Whoever the schmuck in that front office is killing that team faster than Zygmunt killed us, but their collapse may not last as long.

Willis, Boweman, Gore, Borland, Iupoti, Crabtree, J. Smith....

It's not even the same team anymore. All this began with Harbaugh getting crap from the FO.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I also wanted Borland last year when we passed on Him for Tre Mason and he was quickly snatched up. He would have been my replacement for JL easy. Since Offensive Line is too much of a need I think my 3rd round dream pick of Emanuel from NDSU will stay just that while we take a center or Snead goes QB for the Baylor kid if still there and not overdrafted per need in this weakest of QB classes ever. We need a thumper at MLB and don't tell me Ayers is that guy. He'll be use to cover the new tight end the seachickens got from the saints and also as a blitzer on one of Williams packages as JL can't get that job done either. Glad AO is still having his flash plays and this is his breakout year. Borland had skills and had an awesome rookie year he can be very proud of. That thumper part I was talking about caused Junior Seau to take his own life. So sorry its a need for our team .

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
As someone with a brain injury, totally respect it.

Same. I hear and read some pretty cavalier things from folks around the net not in a position to really understand the stakes.

Brain injuries are no joke. I've had a lesion since '92 with all the complications that have come with it. I don't begrudge anyone not signing up for what I deal with...

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
I think we are just seeing the tip of the proverbial iceberg. As time goes by more and more players are going to walk away in their prime. The $$$ are big enough now that if a player manages his money wisely he can play only a few years and get out of the game while he still has most of his mobility and cognitive function. Considering most of the players have been pounding heads since pee-wee football, the hitting takes a continual toll on body and mind. Most people don't realize how banged up these guys are after a game. I've seen star athletes struggle to make it up or down stairs after a game and it's a struggle to get out of bed the day after a game. Most players are in pain from usually sometime during training camp until the end of the season.

We love the game, but I totally respect the men who play it and would never begrudge anyone who said I've had enough I need to get out now.

raised_fisT

Hall of Fame
And some Rams fans bitching about Sam not taking a pay cut

Sam is coming off 2 major knee surgeries and hasn't exactly lived up to his insane contract. Come on, man.
Can't believe people still on the Bradford train here... it left the station a week ago headed for Philly.

ram007

Starter
Good luck to Borland. It is always tough decision to walk away from half a million a job year despite risks.