Sean Mannion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Mannion reminds me more of a Flacco or (going way back) Drew Bledsoe type. I see very little parallels between Goff and Mannion's style.
Wow. Love the Bledsoe comparison. Well stated.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
7694257e05c021d4229e99345383a4c2.gif

goff_feet_close.gif

Is Jared Goff Joe Montana's clone? Goff has qualities or features, especially those of appearance, in common with Joe's beautiful, gliding footwork

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If Mannion can develop; he can be traded and/or we have a solid backup.

The Rams drafted Goff for a reason.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The only thing im hearing is footwork nothing about arm strength accuracy touch intelligence work ethic. Payton Manning footwork was crappy he turned out ok. Ichrio moves his feet when he bats now he is 2 hits away from 3000. If footwork is the only difference between the 2 then we grossely overpaid.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Is Jared Goff Joe Montana's clone? Goff has qualities or features, especially those of appearance, in common with Joe's beautiful, gliding footwork

There are no doubt many similarities with his pocket presence and gliding footwork.
the%20catch.gif

A Joe Montana only comes along every 20 years are so

HE'S B'AAACK
giphy.gif

o6ueol-goff.jpg

Last edited:

Athos

Legend
The only thing im hearing is footwork nothing about arm strength accuracy touch intelligence work ethic. Payton Manning footwork was crappy he turned out ok. Ichrio moves his feet when he bats now he is 2 hits away from 3000. If footwork is the only difference between the 2 then we grossely overpaid.

Has Puff the Magic Dragon visited lately?

image.jpg

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If footwork is the only difference between the 2 then we grossely overpaid.
In Mannion's Jr. year at Oregon St., I was interested in seeing who he was...He was really working Cook...then I saw a game...nothing like I expected...there were very few downfield throws....In his senior year, he couldn't move the team without pro-ready receivers. He's just not an athlete...very slow...and like many have said, he has a slow release.....And NOWHERE near the footwork of a Goff.
He didn't get on the field last year for a reason....
And yeah, I'm a lil mad, cause we shoulda drafted Hundley...Watch what Brett does this pre-season...

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In Mannion's Jr. year at Oregon St., I was interested in seeing who he was...He was really working Cook...then I saw a game...nothing like I expected...there were very few downfield throws....In his senior year, he couldn't move the team without pro-ready receivers. He's just not an athlete...very slow...and like many have said, he has a slow release.....And NOWHERE near the footwork of a Goff.
He didn't get on the field last year for a reason....
And yeah, I'm a lil mad, cause we shoulda drafted Hundley...Watch what Brett does this pre-season...
I couldnt have the most passinf yards ever if he couldnt throw downfield his receivers and o line was crap his senior year. Everything i have ever heard and seen from him is that he can make every throw on the field he has excellent touch velocity and anticipation on his throws. He made every check at the line and he came from a pro style offense.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Everybody keep saying he couldnt see the field last year what are you gonna say when keenum start and finish the year. Of course Goff is gonna play because we sold all flexibilty to get him.

rdw

Pro Bowler
Everybody keep saying he couldnt see the field last year what are you gonna say when keenum start and finish the year. Of course Goff is gonna play because we sold all flexibilty to get him.
kiU7Sng.gif

Goff will play when he's the best QB on the team. This is NOT a 2-14 team with the first pick. This is a .500 team with a good defense and a weak offense. This was the time to make this move. We were going nowhere with Mannion and Case long term. No offense to either of those guys but Goff is the future of this team when he's ready.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Do you know football? Peyton Manning's footwork was outstanding. Goff's footwork is nearly identical to Manning's.

And yes, Goff has all of the above. There's really no point in even bothering here. What you're doing is akin to some guy saying, "WHO NEEDS JULIO JONES WHEN WE HAVE BRIAN QUICK!!!!!" :LOL:

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I'll preface this by saying I hope Goff is everything he's being hyped up to be, and I'm damn excited to see him run this offense. It's a new era and I'm looking forward to it.

I'm kind of with DX on this though. What, beyond footwork is so appealing about Goff? Mannion didn't do much in college without Cooks, great. Goff had a what, .380 winning percentage? Is a great QB not supposed to be able to raise the talent of players around him? I've heard that song and dance before. Brady's made guys like Julian Edelman, Reche Caldwell and Deion Branch relevant.

We don't know why Mannion never took the field last year beyond the fact that Fisher has a major hard-on for Keenum. Maybe he didn't know the playbook yet, maybe Fish wanted to keep him from getting spooked early in his career. I went back and tried to find some preseason footage. There isn't much, but his time under center at Oakland intrigued me. He stood tall in the pocket and put the ball in spots where his receiver could grab it.

I wish we could pick at the brain trusts' collective minds, but there's no going back and that's cool. I'll be pulling for Goff just as much as I would for Keith Null or Kurt Warner.

Gilley

UDFA
I'll preface this by saying I hope Goff is everything he's being hyped up to be, and I'm damn excited to see him run this offense. It's a new era and I'm looking forward to it.

I'm kind of with DX on this though. What, beyond footwork is so appealing about Goff? Mannion didn't do much in college without Cooks, great. Goff had a what, .380 winning percentage? Is a great QB not supposed to be able to raise the talent of players around him? I've heard that song and dance before. Brady's made guys like Julian Edelman, Reche Caldwell and Deion Branch relevant.

We don't know why Mannion never took the field last year beyond the fact that Fisher has a major hard-on for Keenum. Maybe he didn't know the playbook yet, maybe Fish wanted to keep him from getting spooked early in his career. I went back and tried to find some preseason footage. There isn't much, but his time under center at Oakland intrigued me. He stood tall in the pocket and put the ball in spots where his receiver could grab it.

I wish we could pick at the brain trusts' collective minds, but there's no going back and that's cool. I'll be pulling for Goff just as much as I would for Keith Null or Kurt Warner.

I mean of course Goff's winning percentage would be low. He had an awful team around him his freshman year(they went 1-11...), yet still kept the job. It doesn't matter how good a QB is, if they other players in the offense suck, the team isn't going to win many games. I feel like Goff is getting underrated because of east coast bias. If he played for the Big 10, SEC, basically any major conference not named the PAC 12, I think his hype would be through the roof.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do you know football? Peyton Manning's footwork was outstanding. Goff's footwork is nearly identical to Manning's.

And yes, Goff has all of the above. There's really no point in even bothering here. What you're doing is akin to some guy saying, "WHO NEEDS JULIO JONES WHEN WE HAVE BRIAN QUICK!!!!!" :LOL:

Look all of this is my opinion im not trying to change anyone mind on Goff. I hope he succeed because i still love this team. But to me in my eyes there is no difference in their arm talent and i would have to say Mannion arm is better.. and Peyton had some of the happiest feet i have ever seen.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I mean of course Goff's winning percentage would be low. He had an awful team around him his freshman year(they went 1-11...), yet still kept the job. It doesn't matter how good a QB is, if they other players in the offense suck, the team isn't going to win many games. I feel like Goff is getting underrated because of east coast bias. If he played for the Big 10, SEC, basically any major conference not named the PAC 12, I think his hype would be through the roof.

The same could be said about Mannion as well. He is the career leader in yards ever in the pac 12 and he did that by playing in a pro style offense.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Look all of this is my opinion im not trying to change anyone mind on Goff. I hope he succeed because i still love this team. But to me in my eyes there is no difference in their arm talent and i would have to say Mannion arm is better.. and Peyton had some of the happiest feet i have ever seen.

That's the problem. You don't know what you're talking about. I don't mean that in an insulting way. It's not something that would be readily apparent.

I highly recommend doing research on these things. They can be nuanced, but it's vital to understand what these things mean and why they're relevant.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I couldnt have the most passinf yards ever if he couldnt throw downfield his receivers and o line was crap his senior year. Everything i have ever heard and seen from him is that he can make every throw on the field he has excellent touch velocity and anticipation on his throws. He made every check at the line and he came from a pro style offense.
Just stop it....I watch a bunch of pac-12 football...and if you throw 50 times a game, you'll get yards...
He just seemed too slow to succeed in the pros...don't worry, I've been wrong b4....I literally laughed my head off when I saw Brady at the combine....and by slow, I'm not even talking about his release (which is slow) but his footwork...which is why he in no way resembles Goff....
When looking at college QB's, be careful when a guy gets worse in his last years....they should always (usually) get a lil better...If they do look worse, do the research, see why....in my opinion, without the benefit of the quick dumpoff passes to Cook (this guy also played with a very good wr named Wheaton), Mannion looked very average...like if he sees pressure, he'll fold...could be wrong...but it's interesting, guy from a pro-style college offense, and one argument in here is how he couldn't get the playbook down for the reason he didn't play....
Okay

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's the problem. You don't know what you're talking about. I don't mean that in an insulting way. It's not something that would be readily apparent.

I highly recommend doing research on these things. They can be nuanced, but it's vital to understand what these things mean and why they're

I highly recommend doing research on these things. They can be nuanced, but it's vital to understand what these things mean and why they're relevant.

Look thats the 2nd time you attacked me verbally the first time i dismissed it and let it ride if you dont agree thats fine and thats your right but dont come at me like my opinion and what i see is invalid, because at this time neither Mannion or Goff has done any thing and if we go by college then obviously Mannion has had the better success. Youre talking about footwork moving inside the pocket moving with the flow of the oline and avoiding pressure inside the pocket i understand all of that but at the same time once again too me thats the only thing that differentiate the 2

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just stop it....I watch a bunch of pac-12 football...and if you throw 50 times a game, you'll get yards...
He just seemed too slow to succeed in the pros...don't worry, I've been wrong b4....I literally laughed my head off when I saw Brady at the combine....and by slow, I'm not even talking about his release (which is slow) but his footwork...which is why he in no way resembles Goff....
When looking at college QB's, be careful when a guy gets worse in his last years....they should always (usually) get a lil better...If they do look worse, do the research, see why....in my opinion, without the benefit of the quick dumpoff passes to Cook (this guy also played with a very good wr named Wheaton), Mannion looked very average...like if he sees pressure, he'll fold...could be wrong...but it's interesting, guy from a pro-style college offense, and one argument in here is how he couldn't get the playbook down for the reason he didn't play....
Okay

He didnt have a running game no oline no wrs all of this waa said even by Fisher and snead and i havent seen anywhere that says the playbook was too much for him in fact i have heard the complete opposite, that he was ahead of the curb because of the offense they ran and it was only verbiage that he was learning.

Athos

Legend
Look thats the 2nd time you attacked me verbally the first time i dismissed it and let it ride if you dont agree thats fine and thats your right but dont come at me like my opinion and what i see is invalid, because at this time neither Mannion or Goff has done any thing and if we go by college then obviously Mannion has had the better success. Youre talking about footwork moving inside the pocket moving with the flow of the oline and avoiding pressure inside the pocket i understand all of that but at the same time once again too me thats the only thing that differentiate the 2

You're kind of proving his point, especially if you aren't taking the time to really understand the differences of the two which are many.

Mannion is a stone statue in the pocket. Much like Foles. And not like Brady. Slow processing speed. Slow feet. Moves like cement in his shoes. Slow release.

Goff has the touch pass. He has the accuracy on anticipation routes. He has very good feet which is an absolute necessity for long term QB success. Processes well. Had a godawful OL and still put up very good #s with skill players that won't sniff the NFL.