scrimmage report

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
T

That amount makes more sense to keep him, but I still wouldn't eliminate him as trade bait.

With only 75 rushing yards in 3 seasons, methinks it would take the training camp of a lifetime along with some bribery for Pead to even be considered a trade option by other teams.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
With only 75 rushing yards in 3 seasons, methinks it would take the training camp of a lifetime along with some bribery for Pead to even be considered a trade option by other teams.
Yeah, the Rams had tried before to trade him and got nothing. That was before he tore his acl, if we only got a 7th for Stacy, I couldn't imagine getting much from Pead.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Given the season still has to play out and the number of UDFA's at the end of season (highest in the league i think), things can go many ways - and this staff clearly values versatility. Additionally, I can't see Pead commanding a lot or trying to break the bank since he hasn't shown to be much other than a Reserve/ST player. This season will dictate a lot.

As far as just giving the job to someone else - I don't like the idea of replacing a guy who is pretty good at certain spots to be handed over to a rookie or another young who may not be ready. We know he's a stud gunner - ST value, and at worst provides a very good 3rd down back role.. And considering the "3rd down backs" on this team, I wouldn't be comfortable without having him, particularly if a guy gets injured. At worst he's a role player/depth/one of our Best ST players - think its more knee jerk reacting to his draft status than considering the overall player and his value to the team.

I dunno, iced...

I'm just not seeing where Pead stands out anywhere at either RB or ST.

On O...

He hasn't done squat in 3 years.
He's no better at pass pro than Mason, Cunningham, or Watts. Probably Gurley, either.
Gurley, Mason, Cunningham, and maybe Watts are now at least his equal as a pass receiver.

On ST, I would not call him an ace. A good player, maybe, but not an ace. Very replaceable on ST, iow. Cunningham as a KR is a ST stud by comparison.

Come September, there will necessarily be some excruciatingly difficult cuts. Cuts of promising players at several other positions. If I'm Fisher, I think I'm leaning towards the promising younger player rather than the 4th year RB that has disappointed every single year.

If I were either Pead or Givens, I would probably not be sleeping all that well for the next 2 months.

This team now seems loaded and those 4th year vets are hanging on by their fingernails, if you ask me. Especially Pead.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The difference between Foles and Bradford is that Foles has had success on the field and received the accolades that come with it. He seems confident in his abilities and I don't think he's concerned with being perfect in practice. I hate this word but Foles has swagger. I'm not too concerned with Foles not looking like an all pro in practice.
What I do is to ask myself....
"Is Nick Foles better than Shawn Hill?"
"Is Nick Foles better Austin Davis?
"Is Nick Foles better than Sam Bradford??

We know the answer to the first two questions, the third one is more complicated. Sam was a better thrower than Foles, but Foles is not bad. Where Foles sounds light years better than Sam is his leader ship, which was mentioned by both Snead and Fisher after the signing of Foles to an extension. The quality of leadership isn't insignificant. Sam always looked good in practice, and Foles less so...Availability was the worst problem for Bradford during the regular season over the previous two seasons, and I no longer have that deep in the gut fear that our starter is vulnerable to breaking, with every snap..that's Philly's problem now. If our starter can last through most of the season, we have a shot at the playoffs. After Bradford went down last year (again), I knew we had no shot. I think we can't help but be a better team with Nick Foles... (*steps off soap box)

RamDynasty

UDFA
I've never been convinced Sam is all that great of a "thrower" when there are defensive linemen in front of him. Sam drops his elbow and gets A LOT of balls knocked down by defenders because he throws from such a low angle. Sam's passes look good in a practice setting, not so much during games because he doesn't throw over the top. He has a powerful release but it is at such a low angle that his game throws are a mixed bag. Foles will be better than Bradford on game days for the Rams.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I've never been convinced Sam is all that great of a "thrower" when there are defensive linemen in front of him. Sam drops his elbow and gets A LOT of balls knocked down by defenders because he throws from such a low angle. Sam's passes look good in a practice setting, not so much during games because he doesn't throw over the top. He has a powerful release but it is at such a low angle that his game throws are a mixed bag. Foles will be better than Bradford on game days for the Rams.
That was a problem when Bradford was a rookie due to the depth of the routes Shurmur had the receivers running. All those 5 yard curls, outs, ins, and shallow crosses made for a very crowded field of play. After 2010, Bradford's batted passes dropped. Andrew Luck has more than Bradford since he came into the league, and by quite a bit. In other words, I don't think it was a mechanics problem with Bradford. That's one of the aspects of his game that gets the most praise.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg

A team like Dallas could possibly prove to be a renaissance for Pead, not really sure why he hasn't clicked at this level. (besides maybe never being on the field?)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I've never been convinced Sam is all that great of a "thrower" when there are defensive linemen in front of him.
First welcome....Most of what you say here makes sense, but most QB's, after constant pressure, esp. up the middle will show major flaws with there release...Just the nature of the beast...Hit the QB, his play will suffer....Constantly hit the QB, and you may develop problems for the rest of your career....Some QB's just try to save themselves after a point...
I remember Chris Everett....Man he was good at one time...But when he got to the point of falling down, he had been ruined...Jeff George...great QB, then the sacks piled up...I remember hating the way Eli Manning would turn his body after releasing the ball, but he still became a great, big game QB...Maybe it's his genes...Dudes daddy could take a pounding...I mean, we'd kill the Saints...But Archie remained dangerous...Every game, he was their only chance to win...
You hit any QB enough, his play will suffer...bottom line.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
You will get your chance to see for yourself soon...and we will be expecting a full report.

Open practices in Oxnard, Calif.

Monday, Aug. 17 | 4:25 p.m. PT with Cowboys
Tuesday, Aug. 18 | 4:25 p.m. PT with Cowboys
Wednesday, Aug. 19 | 10:30 a.m. PT

Oxnard... near the Coast, would have to negotiate the 405N to 101N driving past the outskirts of LA, that's one hell of a drive (and I don't mean mileage)

Maybe I can target one of those days

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Oxnard... near the Coast, would have to negotiate the 405N to 101N driving past the outskirts of LA, that's one hell of a drive (and I don't mean mileage)

Maybe I can target one of those days
get off the 405 at Marina Del Rey and negotiate to hwy1, bypass the sepulveda hill and valley traffic.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
get off the 405 at Marina Del Rey and negotiate to hwy1, bypass the sepulveda hill and valley traffic.

Or drive just a little further to the 10E to Santa Monica Pier, funny thing is I usually take that ride coming back from the North, if I take Tuesday off that would be a nice scenic route, way go Stranger!!

iced

I dunno, iced...

I'm just not seeing where Pead stands out anywhere at either RB or ST.

On O...

He hasn't done squat in 3 years.
He's no better at pass pro than Mason, Cunningham, or Watts. Probably Gurley, either.
Gurley, Mason, Cunningham, and maybe Watts are now at least his equal as a pass receiver.

On ST, I would not call him an ace. A good player, maybe, but not an ace. Very replaceable on ST, iow. Cunningham as a KR is a ST stud by comparison.

Come September, there will necessarily be some excruciatingly difficult cuts. Cuts of promising players at several other positions. If I'm Fisher, I think I'm leaning towards the promising younger player rather than the 4th year RB that has disappointed every single year.

If I were either Pead or Givens, I would probably not be sleeping all that well for the next 2 months.

This team now seems loaded and those 4th year vets are hanging on by their fingernails, if you ask me. Especially Pead.

I couldn't disagree more - the only person I'd say came close to Pead in Pass Pro was benny, all of those backs have shown unreliable hands (particularly on screens)....

Pead was a part of the reason we had a good ST unit 2 years ago - he was the top gunner once he was on the field.

And now Benny has added weight and looks more slower?

If an RB gets cut I have my doubts its Pead unless he pushes for it. Think Reynolds would be cut before Pead - but I still think he's our best in Pass Pro, and with this o-line, Foles will need all the help he can get

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
chris-rock-gas-face-o.gif

Never been to Oxnard either..I hate the Cowboys, and the Raiders burned us in '94...not cool with them either..My nephew went last year I believe...And told me how Morris Claireborn was getting abused by DEz
I found some info for you, oc, stranger and other members attending Oxnard practices. Admission is free but parking is 10 bucks.

Monday, AUGUST 17, 2015 - Practice - 3:45 PM - Practice with St. Louis Rams

Tuesday, AUGUST 18, 2015 - Practice - 3:45 PM - Practice with St. Louis Rams

Wednesday, AUGUST 19, 2015 - St. Louis Rams only practice - 10:30 AM

ABSOLUTELY NO TAILGATING OR ALCOHOL ALLOWED
NO Strollers in bleacher area
NO Bicycles
NO Backpacks
(small diaper bag okay)
NO Coolers/ Ice ChestsNO Outside food
ABSOLUTELY NO PETS! (not in carriers, not on-site, and not in your vehicle as there is no shade)

http://www.visitoxnard.com/cowboys/

Last edited:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Or drive just a little further to the 10E to Santa Monica Pier, funny thing is I usually take that ride coming back from the North, if I take Tuesday off that would be a nice scenic route, way go Stranger!!
if ur further east (north), u can navigate to the 210 fwy and go north via Pasadena, and then take the 118 (i think), and then come back west via the 23 (i think). definitely more miles, but also least traffic.

also, taking that 405 to 10 interchange can be pretty slow going, I'd exit the 405 at the 90 in MDR.

Last edited:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
or, u can also exit 405 at LAX and take surface sttreets thru Playya Del Rey. that is if traffic gets really bad on the 405.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I couldn't disagree more - the only person I'd say came close to Pead in Pass Pro was benny, all of those backs have shown unreliable hands (particularly on screens)....

Pead was a part of the reason we had a good ST unit 2 years ago - he was the top gunner once he was on the field.

And now Benny has added weight and looks more slower?

If an RB gets cut I have my doubts its Pead unless he pushes for it. Think Reynolds would be cut before Pead - but I still think he's our best in Pass Pro, and with this o-line, Foles will need all the help he can get

Fair enough, iced. We just see Pead and his team value as demonstrated so far quite differently.

I have no problem agreeing to disagree.

Besides, Pead's status will likely be sorted out within the next 5 weeks, anyway.

If he blows the doors off, he stays. And I would love to be wrong.

But if he doesn't really blow the doors off..... Well, I've gotta say that I'm only human and love to be proven right.

Good discussion, man.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
if ur further east, u can navigate to the 210 fwy and go north via Pasadena, and then take the 118 (i think), and then come back west via the 23 (i think). definitely more miles, but also least traffic.

also, taking that 405 to 10 interchange can be pretty slow going, I'd exit the 405 at the 90 in MDR.

I actually live in Westminster/Fountain Valley, of course I meant 10W:confused:

Lived here my entire life but doubt I've used the 405N/10W interchange more than a handful of times, I HATE TRAFFIC (what the hell am I living here for:D)

While I've taken the 90 to the Coast (Lincoln) I have never gone far enough North on Hwy 1 to SM, wouldn't mind giving it a shot, Tuesday practice ("we're talking practice") begins around 4, better leave OC around 11, I can always find a watering hole.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I actually live in Westminster/Fountain Valley, of course I meant 10W:confused:

Lived here my entire life but doubt I've used the 405N/10W interchange more than a handful of times, I HATE TRAFFIC (what the hell am I living here for:D)

While I've taken the 90 to the Coast (Lincoln) I have never gone far enough North on Hwy 1 to SM, wouldn't mind giving it a shot, Tuesday practice ("we're talking practice") begins around 4, better leave OC around 11, I can always find a watering hole.

There is the best restaurant for fried crab called Seafood Cove in your town

That's what I miss about leaving Buena Park hahaha

That and Sahara Falafel off brookhurst

Anyway had lots of friends in Bolsa, spent some time at OCC