scrimmage report

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Ooof. Not what one would call crisp today. Several offsides penalties, several dropped passes, several bad passes, a fumbled handoff - it just didn't look really good for the offense.

Greg the Leg put on a show hitting a 64 yarder - so we've got that going for us.

I was able to see much more of the O Line play and they were pretty good - except the penalties.

Andrew Donnal looked overmatched against Brockers and Donald - but most guys are going to.

Greg Robinson was impressive. He did have one of the false starts - but he was pretty good against Quinn today.

Saw Havenstein pull on a WR screen and get way out in space on the hunt for a body to block - he had pretty good body control out there for such a bohemeth.

Rhainey ran with the 1s today - one of the false starts was on him.

Jamon Brown has impressed every time I have keyed on him - but there have been limited opportunities.

Maybe the best part of this scrimmage was the 1 on 1 work they did. They had linebackers rushing and backs / tight ends having to pick up the blitz.

The defense got the best of this drill for the most part but Pead had a few good moments (although he got eaten up by Dunbar on one). Akeem Ayers proved difficult for anyone to block in this drill. One thing I liked was when the drill was over - Ogletree and Pead each wanted one more shot at each other - I gave the win to Pead on that rep.

On the otherwise, it was WR v DB one on one

I was watching more of the pass rush at this time, but I did see Bailey beat Jenkins once - although JJ kept him in front of him. That was one of the few times I saw Jenkins let anyone catch anything around him. He was good again today.

The QB play was meh. I know we just extended Foles so I should put the rose colored glasses on - but he wasn't at his best today.

The offense didn't push the ball up the field much. For some reason, Britt didn't dress today. He was missed.

Even Mannion didn't look so hot today - he is only getting reps with the 3s which is frustrating me - but I'm a dude in the bleachers and coach is a millionaire because of what he knows about football.

Even the defense was jumping offsides in the drills. Maybe everyone was a bit antsy. After the 4th or 5th drop - the boo birds showed up. I can't say it any other way - it really wasn't a pretty performance.

I'd like to say it was just the defense dominating but that isn't what it looked like. It was drops and mental break downs.

Barron was back and looked good today. Also, opening up the 11 on 11 Christian Bryant was running with the 1s in the slot - which is encouraging.

I finally got a good look at Battle and the guy aces the eyeball test. Big ol bubble butt on him and tree trunk arms. The size of a lot of these guys is just amazing - most of all Greg Robinson. Up close, he is a mountain.

Bayer and Cunningham had decent days catching the ball - they finally spread out Smelleys targets a bit, I guess.

Cook is still target #1 and target #2. Bailey got more looks today than I had seen. Even Tavon got in on it - and had a few decent catches. As @CoachO would tell you - the outside doesn't seem like his best fit.

I took in the scrimmage w Coach O, @CodeMonkey and his son, and @RamzFanz - the dream team of watching practice.

So this will be my last report - I was only in town for the week - and even though today was a bit sobering, I was lucky to have good weather and some good dudes to watch the action with. Now I go back to being an out of towner who relies on the eyes of those of you who go and watch and report back to the rest of us. Please guys, keep it going.

FRO

Legend
Offense way behind the defense, as to be expected. The QB play has me very concerned. I also agree Robinson is going to be a great player for us. Donald is the best player on the team. Guy is insanely good.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Great job 12......your reports will be missed..... I cannot thank you enough for all the information you shared. Travel safe.....thanks again........ ;)

Go Rams.......... ;)

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Ooof. Not what one would call crisp today. Several offsides penalties, several dropped passes, several bad passes, a fumbled handoff - it just didn't look really good for the offense.

Greg the Leg put on a show hitting a 64 yarder - so we've got that going for us.

I was able to see much more of the O Line play and they were pretty good - except the penalties.

Andrew Donnal looked overmatched against Brockers and Donald - but most guys are going to.

Greg Robinson was impressive. He did have one of the false starts - but he was pretty good against Quinn today.

Saw Havenstein pull on a WR screen and get way out in space on the hunt for a body to block - he had pretty good body control out there for such a bohemeth.

Rhainey ran with the 1s today - one of the false starts was on him.

Jamon Brown has impressed every time I have keyed on him - but there have been limited opportunities.

Maybe the best part of this scrimmage was the 1 on 1 work they did. They had linebackers rushing and backs / tight ends having to pick up the blitz.

The defense got the best of this drill for the most part but Pead had a few good moments (although he got eaten up by Dunbar on one). Akeem Ayers proved difficult for anyone to block in this drill. One thing I liked was when the drill was over - Ogletree and Pead each wanted one more shot at each other - I gave the win to Pead on that rep.

On the otherwise, it was WR v DB one on one

I was watching more of the pass rush at this time, but I did see Bailey beat Jenkins once - although JJ kept him in front of him. That was one of the few times I saw Jenkins let anyone catch anything around him. He was good again today.

The QB play was meh. I know we just extended Foles so I should put the rose colored glasses on - but he wasn't at his best today.

The offense didn't push the ball up the field much. For some reason, Britt didn't dress today. He was missed.

Even Mannion didn't look so hot today - he is only getting reps with the 3s which is frustrating me - but I'm a dude in the bleachers and coach is a millionaire because of what he knows about football.

Even the defense was jumping offsides in the drills. Maybe everyone was a bit antsy. After the 4th or 5th drop - the boo birds showed up. I can't say it any other way - it really wasn't a pretty performance.

I'd like to say it was just the defense dominating but that isn't what it looked like. It was drops and mental break downs.

Barron was back and looked good today. Also, opening up the 11 on 11 Christian Bryant was running with the 1s in the slot - which is encouraging.

I finally got a good look at Battle and the guy aces the eyeball test. Big ol bubble butt on him and tree trunk arms. The size of a lot of these guys is just amazing - most of all Greg Robinson. Up close, he is a mountain.

Bayer and Cunningham had decent days catching the ball - they finally spread out Smelleys targets a bit, I guess.

Cook is still target #1 and target #2. Bailey got more looks today than I had seen. Even Tavon got in on it - and had a few decent catches. As @CoachO would tell you - the outside doesn't seem like his best fit.

I took in the scrimmage w Coach O, @CodeMonkey and his son, and @RamzFanz - the dream team of watching practice.

So this will be my last report - I was only in town for the week - and even though today was a bit sobering, I was lucky to have good weather and some good dudes to watch the action with. Now I go back to being an out of towner who relies on the eyes of those of you who go and watch and report back to the rest of us. Please guys, keep it going.
Fantastic job on all of your reports. Thank you.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Thanks for the reports!! To bad it has to end but was great while it lasted :)

One question for you; besides the Raney false start, how did he look today?

RamzFanz

Damnit
So this means I have to stop watching the cheerleaders and watch TC again?!

Great day sir. Very cool meeting you. I'm not letting you off opening day!

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Great to meet you today 12! If you don't mind I'll just tail on to your report since you're a way better writer and hit most of the highlights. I'll just hit on a few random observations:

"Not Crisp" is a good way to put it. They were calling penalties today on PI and off-sides...too often. Gotta clean that stuff up! Don't wanna get too negative but things were a little off.

There was a funny point where big OT Brandon Washingon went running all the way down field with the ball for the TD...about 60 yards. The crowd cheered and the announcer credited him for the TD. Pretty funny....he wasn't heard from again.

Greg Robinson is a beast. The OL put their pads on on the sidelines so you could see how ripped he is. Dude is chiseled.

Havenstein looks good...Athletic. There was a run play where he pulled and ran about 15 yards downfield looking for someone to smash.

The defense looks really good. Ogletree blitzed a lot from different looks or position.

Brockers looks really good and his beard is fantastic. He totally flattened someone in one on ones but I'm not sure who.

Gurley didn't do much today but man that guy has a low center of gravity. Big legs.

Zach Lasky did line up in the FB slot on one play (Harkey on another) but mostly did special teams.

Quick played with a yellow thing on his hat. Austin did run some plays from outside as did Bailey. Givens got a lot of work. Number 8 Slavin was mentioned and Marquez made some plays although he did have his first drop that I have seen today.

A few guys sat out today like Kenny Britt, Mason, and Long.

One highlight was the big 64 yard field goal by Legatron. Fisher raised his arms and the crowd cheered. He was booting some looong ones and there was a mob of kids trying to catch them on the hill. Pretty funny. Greg looks fine.

There was a drone flying around...

It is easy to spot a player's car.

Last edited:

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I can't make myself get too up or down at a first scrimmage, but I really do appreciate the bird's eye info...Thanks...

Last edited:

Big Willie

Starter
I was there too, and agree with your assessment. Tre Mason didn't dress and I thought Pead looked the best of the backs. The WRs to me were average, with Bailey looking the best. Quick seemed to be making mistakes again and didn't stand out. With the exception of a pass interference call, JJ looked good and I thought Trumaine did as well. The DL had many moments with Brock and Donald consistently looking good. Fairly has yet to impress me; either at this event or at previous practices. J Brown and GRob continue to shown their talent and Havenstein is good moving forward, but was getting killed in 1 on 1 drills by speed on outside rushes. He will need some help on pass plays.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I can't make myself get too up or down at a first scrimmage..

Yeah, it's not a nail in the coffin, but it exposed them as nowhere near game ready. Preseason is next Friday?! I am lowering expectations early in preseason for the offense. They need more time. Lots of individual talent but we need elevated QB play and some getting on the same page. I'm hoping it's just a learning curve for Foles that he will shake off.

Coach turned to me and said "Well, at least after California sees Rams and Raiders, we won't have to worry about them wanting the Rams anymore." Very funny!

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the reports!! To bad it has to end but was great while it lasted :)

One question for you; besides the Raney false start, how did he look today?

Hard to tell. Center is incredibly difficult to evaluate. Coach O was talking a bit about it - but center is just different than the other o line positions because they are rarely tasked with making a big block on their own. They chip and they double and more than anything - they set the line. What is happening between the ears is way more important than anything else. So when we see a center get stomped in a one on one - it was just unfair to begin with - they had to snap the ball first. Rarely is a center put in a one on one situation.

We know it happens - we have seen it - but it doesn't happen all that often.

That's a long way of saying, I don't know how he did - it was too hard to tell.

Overall, the line wasn't bad when they got the snap off in a timely manner. The D had their way with a creative blitz early on - and there was pressure (hard to tell how bad with no one hitting the QB) but they held up OK. The problems of the evening weren't squarely on the line.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Hell I've had horrible first scrimmages under the lights and we went to a bowl game. Patience Grasshoppers.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Yeah, it's not a nail in the coffin, but it exposed them as nowhere near game ready. Preseason is next Friday?! I am lowering expectations early in preseason for the offense. They need more time. Lots of individual talent but we need elevated QB play and some getting on the same page. I'm hoping it's just a learning curve for Foles that he will shake off.

Coach turned to me and said "Well, at least after California sees Rams and Raiders, we won't have to worry about them wanting the Rams anymore." Very funny!
Coach was funny today.