scrimmage report

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I really hope that our offense only looks anemic because they're going against one of the top 3 defenses in the NFL, and not because it's bad. Otherwise, this could be a long year. I'm hoping for the former rather than that latter. Just keep telling your self: iron sharpens iron

The one thing I'm going to say is that I know everyone is worried about our interior O line, but they're trying to block Donald, Brockers, and Fairley. They're just going to look bad. Heck, they could make a pro-bowl lineman look bad.

True.

Maybe the coaches should let the O get some confidence going against the 2nd/3rd teamers? The offense needs some successful reps.

Then again... How much do we really learn from scrimmages? Lots of moving pieces in these things and they might be more for the strategic benefit of the coaches, than the players.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I saw Christian a couple of times, once getting beaten in the back corner of a goal line drill. If I am not mistaken, he looked like he was playing as kinda a slot CB a few times too.
I thought this would be seen. But it came earlier than I expected. Bryant getting Nickle action? Has proven to be a very good in the box safety, same can be said about the deep safety now they have him doing the Nickle???? Sounds like a serious new DB master roster sticker to me!
Brockers were so disruptive and that made the offense look bad. ...Brockers looks huge...and all the centers look small, and the best I can figure is that Brock carries a lot of his weight in his lower body ....
Just think back to the draft when rumors were flying all over when numerous team all expressed interest in trading for this alleged under performing DT.:confused: Brockers is & has been my pick for being the breakout Ram in 2015! May also recall that he had two early seasons of ankle injuries & underwent "cleanup" surgery on his left ankle in February a few yrs back.....just being healthy in TC & pre season should prove huge for this defense:)!
I think Pead gets traded if he has a good preseason. He was a high draft choice. He is in the last year of his rookie contract. He hasn't performed to the level that was expected in St Louis. Barring injury, the Rams most likely have Mason, Bennie, and Gurley ahead of Pead, with Watts performing at a high level too (even with the looming suspension). So, I think they trade Pead if they can get a reasonable, and most likely conditional pick from a team that has an injury at RB.
Like the Cleveland Browns:D IMO with Gurley being questionable from that ACL, Watts with all those game suspensions, along with the trade/loss of Stacy I would sure consider it unwise to let Pead depart unless Snead gets a over the top trade offer for him.;)

Very Nice Posting Big Willie.

Athos

Legend
I still don't believe there's any way this O could be worse than last year.

And Foles HAS to be better than Davis/Hill.

That said, not sure we'll hit the magical 24-25pts/game most, if not all, playoff teams reach.......at least, not till Gurley is in there at 100%.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Brockers looks huge...and all the centers look small, and the best I can figure is that Brock carries a lot of his weight in his lower body while the three centers look like they have bird legs............they trade Pead if they can get a reasonable, and most likely conditional pick from a team that has an injury at RB.
Great insight....The one play I really remember was Brockers warding off the center with his hands, and driving him back. He was in total control. This to me is strange since these are all relatively large men....I just can't see how a guy can go from this, to being solid at the center spot....And Jones calves do look like sticks...Haven't got to see Barnes real good....I thought Rhaney was stout...thick guy...ahh well...I do remember reading Brockers doing this before in preseason....
What is a backup RB worth on the open market?
28400009560.jpg

Seriously, like Bonifay was saying...I wanna keep Pead...too much talent and still on a friendly rookie contract....Love Benny Cunningham....but still wanna see Pead in his role...

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think Pead gets traded if he has a good preseason. He was a high draft choice. He is in the last year of his rookie contract. He hasn't performed to the level that was expected in St Louis. Barring injury, the Rams most likely have Mason, Bennie, and Gurley ahead of Pead, with Watts performing at a high level too (even with the looming suspension). So, I think they trade Pead if they can get a reasonable, and most likely conditional pick from a team that has an injury at RB.
Houston would probably take that phone call.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Monday, Aug. 17 | 4:25 p.m. PT with Cowboys
Tuesday, Aug. 18 | 4:25 p.m. PT with Cowboys
I'm there for sure on Monday....But I need that Tuesday too....I NEED that!!!!
What's the rules? Can I bring my cooler? My big canopy? Or do you pack light?

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
It seems to me that if this line can run block well enough that we could impose our will on other teams with fresh legs. We have many good backs who could be rotated in and be fresh all game long. Gurley, Mason, Pead, Cunningham and Watts. That's pretty impressive if the line can come together and run block. Would you all that have been watching them live in person agree? As always thanks so much for the reports!

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I'm there for sure on Monday....But I need that Tuesday too....I NEED that!!!!
What's the rules? Can I bring my cooler? My big canopy? Or do you pack light?
I pack light. Not sure how it will be there but in Earth City they have several tents set up for shade. You can bring a cooler but no beer. There is a guy selling water and beer and a snack vendor. It's up to you. Bring a chair, maybe some water and shade if you want to be fully prepared or just go as you are and sit in the grass or bleachers.

The scrimmage was at a football stadium so really nothing extra needed except maybe a butt pad.

I have no idea what Oxnard is like.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
but no beer
chris-rock-gas-face-o.gif

Never been to Oxnard either..I hate the Cowboys, and the Raiders burned us in '94...not cool with them either..My nephew went last year I believe...And told me how Morris Claireborn was getting abused by DEz

Big Willie

Starter
It seems to me that if this line can run block well enough that we could impose our will on other teams with fresh legs. We have many good backs who could be rotated in and be fresh all game long. Gurley, Mason, Pead, Cunningham and Watts. That's pretty impressive if the line can come together and run block. Would you all that have been watching them live in person agree? As always thanks so much for the reports!
I think you can do that with 3 and maybe 4 backs, but doing it with 5 is a bit much.

Big Willie

Starter
Great insight....The one play I really remember was Brockers warding off the center with his hands, and driving him back. He was in total control. This to me is strange since these are all relatively large men....I just can't see how a guy can go from this, to being solid at the center spot....And Jones calves do look like sticks...Haven't got to see Barnes real good....I thought Rhaney was stout...thick guy...ahh well...I do remember reading Brockers doing this before in preseason....
What is a backup RB worth on the open market?
28400009560.jpg

Seriously, like Bonifay was saying...I wanna keep Pead...too much talent and still on a friendly rookie contract....Love Benny Cunningham....but still wanna see Pead in his role...
Don't disagree, it's just that I think you could trad Pead, but I don't think there would be much of a market for Cunningham or Watts. My guess is Pead would be worth a 5th, or perhaps a conditional 4th based on performance and re-signing with his new team.

Big Willie

Starter
With Watts suspended, I think Pead sticks. I am also not sold on Watts FWIW.
You may be right. With his almost 1 million dollar cap hit and his listing on the depth chart as the 3rd -5th RB, I would be more inclined to keep a young guy instead.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I still don't believe there's any way this O could be worse than last year.

And Foles HAS to be better than Davis/Hill.

That said, not sure we'll hit the magical 24-25pts/game most, if not all, playoff teams reach.......at least, not till Gurley is in there at 100%.

Don't underestimate the value of Foles over Hill/Davis, Athos. That single thing is huge. Just HUGE. The new ability to pose a consistent deep threat is just one facet. The minimization of pick 6 turnovers is another.

Plus I expect the D to hit the ground running for all 16 games and that will provide a further big boost for the O. Not nearly so much playing from behind crap.

Then there's the OL upgrades...

Improved GRob
Healthy Saffold
Any of these C's should be at least the equal of the '14 version of Wells
JB already sounds like a big upgrade over Joseph
Hav should be at least the equal of Barksdale by game 5, and an upgrade thereafter

It's a synergy thing.

All that adds up to 10-6 or better IMO.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
You may very well be onto something regarding Brockers, BonifayRams.

And I'm beginning to suspect that offseason work by Brockers with Randy White might be already paying big dividends.

What an irony if a former Cowboy might have given Brockers a big boost toward a Pro Bowl year? Lol.

Hot damn!

Big Willie

Starter
You may very well be onto something regarding Brockers, BonifayRams.

And I'm beginning to suspect that offseason work by Brockers with Randy White might be already paying big dividends.

What an irony if a former Cowboy might have given Brockers a big boost toward a Pro Bowl year? Lol.

Hot damn!
And with a number of players looking for their second contract, it's funny how many stayed in town or did special things in the offseason to get better. Glad Brockers was committed to being a better player.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

I hate Randy While. Always will.

iced

You may be right. With his almost 1 million dollar cap hit and his listing on the depth chart as the 3rd -5th RB, I would be more inclined to keep a young guy instead.

I have my doubts about that.. Cutting Pead would be getting rid of a Top Gunner and valuable 3rd down back who has by the far the best hands out of the back field and one of the best in pass pro. Getting rid of 3 positions in one cut? I doubt it. Givens has a higher cap hit and little ST Value - I'd wager he's gone before Pead is... I still like Pead as the most athletic RB not named Gurley on this roster, and as we've seen from this coaching staff they prefer athletes. I don't think his job is in jeopardy nearly as much as people think/hope it is. (unless Pead pushes for it or something)

Big Willie

Starter
Y
I have my doubts about that.. Cutting Pead would be getting rid of a Top Gunner and valuable 3rd down back who has by the far the best hands out of the back field and one of the best in pass pro. Getting rid of 3 positions in one cut? I doubt it. Givens has a higher cap hit and little ST Value - I'd wager he's gone before Pead is... I still like Pead as the most athletic RB not named Gurley on this roster, and as we've seen from this coaching staff they prefer athletes. I don't think his job is in jeopardy nearly as much as people think/hope it is. (unless Pead pushes for it or something)
You may be right, but if they have no intent to re-sign him next year and you can get a draft choice, why wouldn't you simply turn those duties over to someone else? They will not get a draft choice for Givems so that point is moot to me. If they cannot get a draft choice for Pead, the I agree with you 100 percent.

iced

Y

You may be right, but if they have no intent to re-sign him next year and you can get a draft choice, why wouldn't you simply turn those duties over to someone else? They will not get a draft choice for Givems so that point is moot to me. If they cannot get a draft choice for Pead, the I agree with you 100 percent.

Given the season still has to play out and the number of UDFA's at the end of season (highest in the league i think), things can go many ways - and this staff clearly values versatility. Additionally, I can't see Pead commanding a lot or trying to break the bank since he hasn't shown to be much other than a Reserve/ST player. This season will dictate a lot.

As far as just giving the job to someone else - I don't like the idea of replacing a guy who is pretty good at certain spots to be handed over to a rookie or another young who may not be ready. We know he's a stud gunner - ST value, and at worst provides a very good 3rd down back role.. And considering the "3rd down backs" on this team, I wouldn't be comfortable without having him, particularly if a guy gets injured. At worst he's a role player/depth/one of our Best ST players - think its more knee jerk reacting to his draft status than considering the overall player and his value to the team.