scrimmage report

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
You guys rule. So happy to have smart dudes giving us these reports. The team needs work.... Familiar story... But for the die hards, we want to know whats happening out there, and you all do a great job of making us remote fans feel like we are with the team. Great work.

Moostache

Rookie
Nice write ups gents...my thoughts from the east stands:

Gurley is bigger than I thought. He was running 1/2 speed 40's along the sidelines in front of me for a lot of the first 1/2 of practice. No hitch in the giddy-up from what I could see, but he really had the look in his eye of a caged tiger...looked to me like if it were left up to him he'd be in with the 1's already.

Foles was inconsistent and failed to "wow" me. He had a tipped ball picked by JJ and while that may not have been his fault, the entire play looked bad. HOWEVER...he better stay healthy or this season is a loss...Keenum is too small, Davis lacks any real arm strength (his throws had no 'zip' and he seemed to really labor to drive the ball to the sidelines and deeper than 20 yards from my vantage point)...Mannion is big and has a big arm too, but he is no where close to ready to be on an NFL field.

Saying the offense was "not sharp" is too kind...they pretty much stank. I remember one throw to the corner that was a very nice play by Mannion that stood out, but there was a lot of muddled performances too...the false starts, the general lack of any push in the middle...Donald looked like a beast in a few drills and flashed into the backfield a few others in 11-on-11, Quinn in sweatpants but participating was a little strange too.

Tavon Austin? Paging Mr. Tavon Austin? I have lost faith in him developing. There was a play that saw Bailey in the Y and Austin in the Z and I immediately said "Smurfs Right"....sadly, those two do not play like the '82 Redskins' Smurfs...to be fair, it is not just Austin that I was disappointed in... Joiner also simply looks too small. He is not a presence on the field in the same way some of the other CBs.

Quick dropped one that raised my eyebrows and flashed me back to his rookie camp...the added yellow cap on him kept drawing my eye to him in 7-on-7's and 11-on-11's and he was Just A Guy for much of the day.

The defense is either playing other worldly and destroying the center of the O-line, or our center situation is critical. I am very much worried about the performance today, but I don't have a good frame of reference to compare it to...

GZ from 64 in live drill was good, but he missed from 61 and 64 in single drills...he still has an incredible leg and the sound of him kicking a ball is a little like being at a ballgame and hearing someone really lay into a hanging curve...the "POP" when he hits that ball is amazing. (Side note, at today's event the balls he was kicking were running up onto the hill behind the south endzone and a group of kids assembled to try to catch the kicks that cleared the fence...my son was among them and he actually managed to catch one of Zeurlein's kicks from 40...big thrill for the boy tonight!).

Overall, about what I expected...I HOPED the offense would look batter, but without Mason or Gurley taking real reps today and with the center position remaining a huge concern, I am not avoiding tall buildings or bridges about it...yet. The D looks like the are not just a little ahead of the O, they look like pros playing against collegians to my eyes.

Since today was not really about establishing and executing an offensive game plan, they get a pass, but I am really going to be paying close attention to the O the rest of camp and pre-season.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Mannion is big and has a big arm too, but he is no where close to ready to be on an NFL field.

I saw him with a lot more reps and I'm not sure he isn't our #2. the last three camps though, he not getting reps.

Quinn in sweatpants but participating was a little strange too.

That's how he rolls.

anigif_optimized-18183-1419294495-31.gif

my son was among them and he actually managed to catch one of Zeurlein's kicks from 40

Did he have a plain blueish t-shirt?

FRO

Legend
I got there late and had to sit on the side that was in direct sunlight. I was pouring sweat. It wasn't fun I'll tell you that much. Wasn't too impressed with our offense. Sort of concerned.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Thanks for all of the reports fellas. Much appreciated :cheers:
I have low expectations for the offensive passing game. I have high expectations for the ground game...but most importantly I have VERY HIGH expectations for an offense and passing game that takes care of the football, and can dictate tempo.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Maybe the best part of this scrimmage was the 1 on 1 work they did. They had linebackers rushing and backs / tight ends having to pick up the blitz.
One of the best drills ever...I've never seen this done live with pros...mainly HS & a few colleges...But I'd imagine grown men make this special

my thoughts from the east stands:
And @Big Willie
First thanks for these late night reports....You 3 have been outstanding and a great resource of information on our Rams...
Not really much to say...Maybe the contract had Foles nervous...Maybe it was first game back jitters for Quick...Maybe the o-line was a little skittish too...
All we need is steady improvement....
I heard from another Missourian that claims Gurley looks stiff...if so, I'd hope they really scale his work back...he looked pretty good on the clips of nfln...
Barron played huh? How'd he look in coverage? How bout McLeod? Mo Alexander? Christian Bryant got a mention, but how does he look overall? Who's that small school DB that was hitting? Hagen? What's he doing?

Pead is gonna make this squad...too much talent...

Damn centers....

Great read again fellas! Take a bow.(I took in the scrimmage w Coach O, @CodeMonkey and his son, and @RamzFanz - the dream team of watching practice.).You too @CoachO

Last edited:

Moostache

Rookie
Did he have a plain blueish t-shirt?

Nah...he was one of the 5 or 6 with a red shirt on, ...he was standing next to a kid in a bluish T part of the time...looked like all the kids were having a blast and my son was giddy about having caught a kick from an NFL kicker...his Pee-Wee Coach had just been talking to him about fielding some punts next week so he is jacked up about it. I told him in the car that they all had it backwards...every time GZ put one through the drill moved back further and the kids moved further UP the hill...LOL.

Moostache

Rookie
I heard from another Missourian that claims Gurley looks stiff...if so, I'd hope they really scale his work back...he looked pretty good on the clips of nfln...

I watched Gurley like a hawk most of the time he was out on the sideline. I was VERY skeptical of the pick in the first round, especially at #10 coming off the ACL.
He did not have a limp and he was intentionally not making hard cuts. His body language is that of a guy who wants to go 100% and is being handled to prevent it from happening too soon. Like I said earlier, his size is impressive up close. Saw him standing next to Mason and he looked HUGE! Also saw him talking with Ogletree and he looked nearly as big as Alec... Its encouraging to see him in pads and out there, but I just want him 100% before he gets "live"...

Barron played huh? How'd he look in coverage? How bout McLeod? Mo Alexander? Christian Bryant got a mention, but how does he look overall? Who's that small school DB that was hitting? Hagen? What's he doing?

McLeod was playing deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep....about 20-25 yards off the line in a single high / center field role. The offense never went down the field and they weren't really hitting too hard, so he had what I would consider a boring practice overall...nothing bad, but not many chances to do much either. Barron had one play that I saw that raised an eyebrow on his coverage, but he also had another that was in run support that also raised an eyebrow...he is what we thought he was...Not a spectacular coverage safety, but more than adequate as a "box safety" playing run support in Nickel formations as a 3rd safety. Bryant made one play in coverage that was pretty good and had me reaching for my roster to make sure who it was...other than that, he was largely invisible during the rest of the evening.

I also think Pead makes the squad, in fact, I could see Bennie Cunningham ending up in a fight for his roster spot. A trio of Gurley, Mason and Pead as primary HBs would not make me sad at all. Bennie is a load though, he really looks like he should be a power back...maybe the team keeps 5 RBs again and Pead, Cunningham and Reynolds are primarily ST players again? There won't be too many carries in the second half of the season as I could easily see the Rams running 15-18 per game for both Gurley and Mason.

Damn centers....
Centers right now = :notworthy::sick::oops:

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I got there late and had to sit on the side that was in direct sunlight. I was pouring sweat. It wasn't fun I'll tell you that much. Wasn't too impressed with our offense. Sort of concerned.
We missed you. Find us on Sunday if you are coming.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
One of the best drills ever...I've never seen this done live with pros...mainly HS & a few colleges...But I'd imagine grown men make this special

And @Big Willie
First thanks for these late night reports....You 3 have been outstanding and a great resource of information on our Rams...
Not really much to say...Maybe the contract had Foles nervous...Maybe it was first game back jitters for Quick...Maybe the o-line was a little skittish too...

Damn centers....

Great read again fellas! Take a bow.(I took in the scrimmage w Coach O, @CodeMonkey and his son, and @RamzFanz - the dream team of watching practice.).You too @CoachO

You will get your chance to see for yourself soon...and we will be expecting a full report.

Open practices in Oxnard, Calif.

Monday, Aug. 17 | 4:25 p.m. PT with Cowboys
Tuesday, Aug. 18 | 4:25 p.m. PT with Cowboys
Wednesday, Aug. 19 | 10:30 a.m. PT

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Thanks for the reports dudes as always they are very much appreciated.

Not gonna sweat one practice. Could be so many different things depending on what they're working on that might make it look sloppy for either side. These guys just gotta keep growing together as a unit, and I am content to wait and see vice worrying about it. That Raiduh game is right around the corner and I still expect the Rams to be sharp at least early in the game with the starters in and I also expect their depth to to well.

So I suppose my high and probably unrealistic expectations remain unchanged! :p

Big Willie

Starter

And @Big Willie

Damn centers....

All I saw Gurley do is run in a straight line. He has a brace on his knee, so he is going to look a little stiff. For my money, he has better vision and looks like a quicker, faster version of Steven Jackson....so he will be fine. I believe Barron popped someone and took that person to ground...to the roar of the crowd. (I just think he wanted to remind everyone he is still around.) I saw Christian a couple of times, once getting beaten in the back corner of a goal line drill. If I am not mistaken, he looked like he was playing as kinda a slot CB a few times too.
I heard they are going to move Aaron Donald around on the DL and we saw some of that yesterday. He and Brockers were so disruptive and that made the offense look bad. Donald was in the backfield after 1 step so the QB had to speed up his delivery and though process. Also, Brockers looks huge...and all the centers look small, and the best I can figure is that Brock carries a lot of his weight in his lower body while the three centers look like they have bird legs.

Mo Alexander did not play yesterday. I think Pead gets traded if he has a good preseason. He was a high draft choice. He is in the last year of his rookie contract. He hasn't performed to the level that was expected in St Louis. Barring injury, the Rams most likely have Mason, Bennie, and Gurley ahead of Pead, with Watts performing at a high level too (even with the looming suspension). So, I think they trade Pead if they can get a reasonable, and most likely conditional pick from a team that has an injury at RB.

I can't give you a perspective on your other questions as I didn't see those other individuals.

Big Willie

Starter
ugh

ugh ugh
Don't give up on the offense yet. Last year's defensive rookie of the year is disrupting their play.....and most teams don't have that type of player in the middle of their DL. Not saying the offense will be dynamic, just saying it won't be as bad as we've seen.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I really hope that our offense only looks anemic because they're going against one of the top 3 defenses in the NFL, and not because it's bad. Otherwise, this could be a long year. I'm hoping for the former rather than that latter. Just keep telling your self: iron sharpens iron

The one thing I'm going to say is that I know everyone is worried about our interior O line, but they're trying to block Donald, Brockers, and Fairley. They're just going to look bad. Heck, they could make a pro-bowl lineman look bad.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
The difference between Foles and Bradford is that Foles has had success on the field and received the accolades that come with it. He seems confident in his abilities and I don't think he's concerned with being perfect in practice. I hate this word but Foles has swagger. I'm not too concerned with Foles not looking like an all pro in practice.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think Pead gets traded if he has a good preseason. He was a high draft choice. He is in the last year of his rookie contract. He hasn't performed to the level that was expected in St Louis. Barring injury, the Rams most likely have Mason, Bennie, and Gurley ahead of Pead, with Watts performing at a high level too (even with the looming suspension). So, I think they trade Pead if they can get a reasonable, and most likely conditional pick from a team that has an injury at RB.

With Watts suspended, I think Pead sticks. I am also not sold on Watts FWIW.