Schotty: Quick is the most improved player I've seen

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I disagree. If he's screwing up, get someone on the field that knows what they're doing. If he's out there, he's gotta earn it imo.
You should just go ahead and change your name to disagree.
smiley-laughing002.gif

Think about what I'm saying though. Clearly he knows what he's doing. We saw that last year. I'd just like to see him gain some momentum and some confidence. And the easiest (and most effective) way of doing that is by getting reps. Tons and tons of reps. Of course the inverse is true too. If you keep screwing up it's the quickest and easiest way to lose your confidence. But I think we're at the point, now, where he's going to have more flashes than lapses.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You should just go ahead and change your name to disagree.
smiley-laughing002.gif

Think about what I'm saying though. Clearly he knows what he's doing. We saw that last year. I'd just like to see him gain some momentum and some confidence. And the easiest (and most effective) way of doing that is by getting reps. Tons and tons of reps. Of course the inverse is true too. If you keep screwing up it's the quickest and easiest way to lose your confidence. But I think we're at the point, now, where he's going to have more flashes than lapses.

My issue is that a QB has to be able to trust his WRs. If Quick is out there making mental mistakes(like getting pegged in the back because he missed the call) that's going to affect our QB's confidence and Quick's confidence. I'd rather Bradford have guys he trusts. I want Quick out there. I want Quick to be a star. But he's gotta earn it and he's gotta earn it by being on top of things mentally.

As far as changing my username is concerned, if I did that, people would think I'm a caveman every time I post. "I disagree. Disagree want food." ;)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
My issue is that a QB has to be able to trust his WRs. If Quick is out there making mental mistakes(like getting pegged in the back because he missed the call) that's going to affect our QB's confidence and Quick's confidence. I'd rather Bradford have guys he trusts. I want Quick out there. I want Quick to be a star. But he's gotta earn it and he's gotta earn it by being on top of things mentally.

As far as changing my username is concerned, if I did that, people would think I'm a caveman every time I post. "I disagree. Disagree want food." ;)
Meh (that's right, the catch-all disagreement word).

If he misses a hot read or sight adjustment here or there, I'm fine with it. You learn from your mistakes. Not by being kept from making them.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

when that happened last year, against the texans, sam targeted him a great deal more in the panthers game. sure he screwed up a couple of times but he was dynamic with the ball in his hands. when he gets the ball he just explodes down the field. i want to see much more of him this season, especially when word out of the otas is he is fighting for contested balls now and winning the battle.

seeing britt up close and personal is the best thing that could happen to quick. when he learns to use his body to win contested ball situations, look out.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Meh (that's right, the catch-all disagreement word).

If he misses a hot read or sight adjustment here or there, I'm fine with it. You learn from your mistakes. Not by being kept from making them.

Yea, we're on different sides of the coin on this one. To me, the game of football is all about execution and discipline. Gotta be able to trust the guys around you to do their job if you're to do your job well. When you have a guy that can't be relied on, it drags the entire unit down. Mistakes happen as we're all human. But when one guy just keeps messing up, you gotta find someone you can trust out there.

My hope is that there's no need to discuss this once the season starts because Quick is on top of things mentally. If he's not, though, the man is a NFL WR. I'd sit his butt on the bench.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
when that happened last year, against the texans, sam targeted him a great deal more in the panthers game. sure he screwed up a couple of times but he was dynamic with the ball in his hands. when he gets the ball he just explodes down the field. i want to see much more of him this season, especially when word out of the otas is he is fighting for contested balls now and winning the battle.

seeing britt up close and personal is the best thing that could happen to quick. when he learns to use his body to win contested ball situations, look out.

That's great. But you only have so many chances to capitalize on. And in that game, while Quick did have that big catch, he also dropped a key TD on 3rd down. You can't have that. He's gotta tighten things up mentally.

It reminds me of that tie against SF when Gibson lined up off the LOS and got us penalized on the 80 yard pass to Amendola. We failed to do anything else in OT. Against good teams, you only have so many chances to attack and make it count. I want people we can trust. Quick needs to be that guy for us. This is his third year. Gotta get there.

Drops happen. It is what it is. Mental mistakes happen. But Quick needs to get more consistent on both fronts.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yea, we're on different sides of the coin on this one. To me, the game of football is all about execution and discipline. Gotta be able to trust the guys around you to do their job if you're to do your job well. When you have a guy that can't be relied on, it drags the entire unit down. Mistakes happen as we're all human. But when one guy just keeps messing up, you gotta find someone you can trust out there.

My hope is that there's no need to discuss this once the season starts because Quick is on top of things mentally. If he's not, though, the man is a NFL WR. I'd sit his butt on the bench.
I think the disconnect is your focus on a constant stream of screw-ups from Quick, when I said I wouldn't mind him messing up here or there. If he misses a couple of assignments, but offsets it with 75-100 yards receiving and a score, then I think the trade-off is worth it. But only if he progresses throughout the course of the season (and that was my initial caveat).

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the disconnect is your focus on a constant stream of screw-ups from Quick, when I said I wouldn't mind him messing up here or there. If he misses a couple of assignments, but offsets it with 75-100 yards receiving and a score, then I think the trade-off is worth it. But only if he progresses throughout the course of the season (and that was my initial caveat).

Possibly. It'll take a lot of production, though, for me to accept a couple of blown assignments a game. :)

69superbowl

Rookie
Quick wasn't drafted to simply line up in the right place, run a "nice" route and catch balls that hit his chest. He's a big, kinda fast receiver who is supposed to "make plays." One handed, in a crowd, along the back of the end zone, high in the air, breaking tackles. He needs to make big plays. Not the kind of plays Tavon is supposed to make, but big, game changers none the less. That's why he was taken so high. They saw something in him at his pro day or private workout that we have yet to. I haven't heard any Ram coach or executive publicly say they are disappointed in him. I'm sure they understood his "rawness" and it would take time, and that's fine with me. However, time's almost up and that's the cruelty of professional sports. All the hard work, effort and "potential" means shit if you can't produce. If he's a 12 yard a catch guy and a good blocker he hasn't worked out. Pulling for the kid. Pressure...