Schottey out as OC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
"The best move for him and his family" could be as simple as, he saw the writing on the wall.

Or it could mean that he is tired of struggling with this Rams offense and possibly without a starting caliber QB so he is getting out, while the getting is good.

Or he could figure if he goes to a college then he can implement that spread attack that the Rams tried in early 2013.

Or maybe he felt Fisher was reigning him in too much and needed to have more control.

So many ways that could be interpreted.
Yep. I'm leaning towards being burned out and leaving to go enjoy football for a while.
He'll definitely have more time with his family now (which he mentioned), and that's always more important.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah, I'm not even talking about Schotty right now. I'm talking about the scheme. When I say that's what we do now, I didn't say we did it successfully. There have been many, many times where a play was open downfield, but the QB didn't connect on the throw, and oftentimes didn't have time to make a throw. As it relates to big plays (pass plays over 25 yards) the Rams ranked 14th. And that's with Hill and Davis. Same thing with the run. Rams ranked 14th in the league on big plays (run plays 10 yards or longer). I don't know how you can say we got too cute if the popular consensus is that we were too predictable. All y'all are gonna have to come to a consensus about what the main criticism of the Schotty offense really is. Discuss is over a lemon-filled donut or two and get back to me.

OK - let's not talk Schotty or those wonderful Lemon Jelly Filled donuts.
upload_2015-1-7_20-10-45.jpeg

The scheme - if you could call it that - is exactly what I refer to as being too cute. In a couple games - one I'm pretty sure was the Oakland game the other??? we came out and went all pass. In the first game, we threw twice as much as we ran to start the game. Against Philly, we passed three straight times to open the game. The first Frisco game, we have a good mixture going and we score a TDs then inexplicably we go pass heavy running the ball once followed by 4 short passes and a punt. Next series three runs and a pass for a TD. Next two series though up 14-3 we pass on most downs. The first Seattle game, we start with one run for 5 yards followed by two passes and a punt. Next series 5 runs, one pass and a TD. First AZ game we start out with two passes a run and a punt. Next series three straight passes and a punt. Next series 6 runs, 1 pass and a TD. Next series 3 passes and a punt. Against SD, we start with 1 run, 2 passes and a punt. Next series we run three times for two first downs and then after a 13 yard run, we pass 7 out of the next 9 plays and kick a short FG. Against Oakland, we opened with 9 straight passes. Against WA - we open up with a long drive that consists o 10 passes and only four runs.2nd AZ game we start out with 18 passes and 8 runs.

I'm all about keeping the other team guessing but is this really what you do with a supposed smash mouth offense, a rookie LT/LG, your 2nd or 3rd string QB? Why run the ball for a first down and then pass it 3 straight times for no gain? I have never said we are too predictable except when we run the empty backfield. But IMO, there is a huge difference between keeping a team guessing and just confusing and confounding everyone watching.

I realize they took a number of shots downfield but that is only half the equation. Maybe it's just me but I subscribe to the philosophy echoed by several coaches - do what you do well and what is working until they demonstrate they can stop you. I can't recall us doing that once this past year. In fact, from my perspective, it seemed the opposite. We seemed to have a philosophy that successful plays can only work if you only do them here and there.

This is what I mainly refer to as too cute. And you know what? It will probably work in the college ranks. The NFL is just too disciplined. You don't consistently beat pro players by tricking them. We need to figure out some aspect of our game that is reliably difficult to stop and make people stop us. Sure - change it up but I don't think even our own guys understood what we were trying to be good at.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Just be careful what you wish for. After the Jets fired Schotty for Sparano, their offense turned into a dumpster fire.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Just be careful what you wish for. After the Jets fired Schotty for Sparano, their offense turned into a dumpster fire.

Agreed. On one hand I'm really happy for a potential change. On the other hand, I'm worried that the change could cause issues, and that we could end up with not much change and potentially an even worse option at OC. Who knows what will happen though, really excited to see who we get. I just don't want to end up with another 2-3 year set back.

Not gonna lie, I wasn't too thrilled when we hired Schotty to begin with. I wasn't upset about it but I definitely wasn't thrilled.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I realize they took a number of shots downfield but that is only half the equation. Maybe it's just me but I subscribe to the philosophy echoed by several coaches - do what you do well and what is working until they demonstrate they can stop you. I can't recall us doing that once this past year. In fact, from my perspective, it seemed the opposite. We seemed to have a philosophy that successful plays can only work if you only do them here and there.

This

RamWoodie

Legend
I'll just say Schotty's offensive philosophy is not a good match for the personnel the Rams have. I used to think he could "open it up", but he never did.

What the Rams have now is perfect for an offensive innovater! Bring Martz in and let the offense roll! Fisher will keep Martz from going "mad".

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
OK - let's not talk Schotty or those wonderful Lemon Jelly Filled donuts.
View attachment 4933

The scheme - if you could call it that - is exactly what I refer to as being too cute. In a couple games - one I'm pretty sure was the Oakland game the other??? we came out and went all pass. In the first game, we threw twice as much as we ran to start the game. Against Philly, we passed three straight times to open the game. The first Frisco game, we have a good mixture going and we score a TDs then inexplicably we go pass heavy running the ball once followed by 4 short passes and a punt. Next series three runs and a pass for a TD. Next two series though up 14-3 we pass on most downs. The first Seattle game, we start with one run for 5 yards followed by two passes and a punt. Next series 5 runs, one pass and a TD. First AZ game we start out with two passes a run and a punt. Next series three straight passes and a punt. Next series 6 runs, 1 pass and a TD. Next series 3 passes and a punt. Against SD, we start with 1 run, 2 passes and a punt. Next series we run three times for two first downs and then after a 13 yard run, we pass 7 out of the next 9 plays and kick a short FG. Against Oakland, we opened with 9 straight passes. Against WA - we open up with a long drive that consists o 10 passes and only four runs.2nd AZ game we start out with 18 passes and 8 runs.

I'm all about keeping the other team guessing but is this really what you do with a supposed smash mouth offense, a rookie LT/LG, your 2nd or 3rd string QB? Why run the ball for a first down and then pass it 3 straight times for no gain? I have never said we are too predictable except when we run the empty backfield. But IMO, there is a huge difference between keeping a team guessing and just confusing and confounding everyone watching.

This is what I mainly refer to as too cute. And you know what? It will probably work in the college ranks. The NFL is just too disciplined. You don't consistently beat pro players by tricking them. We need to figure out some aspect of our game that is reliably difficult to stop and make people stop us. Sure - change it up but I don't think even our own guys understood what we were trying to be good at.
Well, here's the thing.

Would those be bad calls if executed properly? And what if he did exactly what you wanted and that didn't work? I seem to recall Hill checking out of a lot of plays to go with something else and it worked. I also recall him checking out of calls and it not working. When the OC gives the QB a set of calls to make on a drive, it's up to the QB to pick which one based on his pre-snap read. When the OC's calling them in, there are always two to choose from with either run or pass being the primary option, and that's based on what the defense is showing or the personnel they have on the field. Maybe he could have just tried to run it down the other team's throat instead of mixing it up. And maybe he could have deviated from what wasn't working to do something that would have worked, but those things are gifts of hindsight.

Don't get me wrong. I saw a lot of head-scratchers too, but then I saw (on the same play) what could have been if the execution was on point. I don't think he's on the same level as Norv Turner or even his dad. But I do think he's getting WAYYYYYYYYYY too much flack for not turning this offense into something dominant. Just too much to overcome and not enough of the type of personnel you need to make it work consistently (unless you're playing the Raiders or Redskins on a consistent basis, that is).

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Exactly. I alluded to this in another post. Whenever this team found positive momentum(be it on offense, defense or a special teams play)....
Shotty's next drive(s) were complete head scratchers and resulted in a three n out and ultimately the self-inflicted loss of momentum.

Lack of rhythm and intelligence.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well, here's the thing.

Would those be bad calls if executed properly? And what if he did exactly what you wanted and that didn't work? I seem to recall Hill checking out of a lot of plays to go with something else and it worked. I also recall him checking out of calls and it not working. When the OC gives the QB a set of calls to make on a drive, it's up to the QB to pick which one based on his pre-snap read. When the OC's calling them in, there are always two to choose from with either run or pass being the primary option, and that's based on what the defense is showing or the personnel they have on the field. Maybe he could have just tried to run it down the other team's throat instead of mixing it up. And maybe he could have deviated from what wasn't working to do something that would have worked, but those things are gifts of hindsight.

Don't get me wrong. I saw a lot of head-scratchers too, but then I saw (on the same play) what could have been if the execution was on point. I don't think he's on the same level as Norv Turner or even his dad. But I do think he's getting WAYYYYYYYYYY too much flack for not turning this offense into something dominant. Just too much to overcome and not enough of the type of personnel you need to make it work consistently (unless you're playing the Raiders or Redskins on a consistent basis, that is).

Nah man - I get you. And I honestly don't know the answer. I see us have success and then not even go back to the well. Is that because the QB is audibling (word?) out? I don't know but I really doubt that is happening all that often. If it is then why the hell would they let it happen? It's not like we had Peyton, Rivers, or even Bradford back there. And if it was working consistently, I could see them allowing it.

But to be honest, if I watch the games and have the exact same questions before the announcer asks it or I am thinking something that seems to be a pretty big constant, I tend to think I'm not just missing something.

Will someone come in and make things happen? I don't know. I suspect we won't actually play worse on offense. We all hope for that. But I suppose I just don't buy that Schotty took that job at Georgia without a little nudge out the door and I really think Fish's comments after the season were aimed squarely at the offense. I thought it now and this move doesn't give me any reason to doubt it.

I agree that Schotty may have been getting too much flack from the fans in many cases. But the product on the field was just too consistently inconsistent for my liking.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I agree that Schotty may have been getting too much flack from the fans in many cases. But the product on the field was just too consistently inconsistent for my liking.
On that we can agree. I don't know if having Bradford, Quick, and Jake would have made a ton of difference, but it probably would have been enough to break .500.
The thing I'm TOTALLY sick of, is having our key players constantly injured and having the O-line shuffled on a weekly basis. That shit's gotta end for anyone to be successful.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Well, at least we have "some excitement" until FA. This offseason would have been too quiet and boring in comparison to previous.

RamBill

Legend
Schottenheimer heads south for Georgia
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_468a1d2d-f53c-511a-b7ea-f56ab568aa78.html

Brian Schottenheimer has been looking at working in the South, especially college football in the South, for the past couple of years. And now he’s going to do just that, as the new offensive coordinator of the Georgia Bulldogs.

“Before I took the job with the Rams, I interviewed with Coach (Nick) Saban down at Alabama,” Schottenheimer told the Post-Dispatch on Wednesday. “Last year, the Vanderbilt thing kind of came out of nowhere, and was kind of enticing for me.”

The Vanderbilt job would have been for the head-coaching position that went to Derek Mason. Schottenheimer also interviewed for the Jacksonville Jaguars job following the 2012 season, a job that went to Gus Bradley.

The common thread in all those interviews? They were all at places south of the Mason-Dixon line.

“Quite honestly, a big part of the decision was my family,” Schottenheimer said. “We make a lot of sacrifices in this profession. We’re closer to family down there in Athens. That was certainly a part of it.”

His wife’s family is from Alabama, and his parents live in North Carolina.

“When you look at what’s important to us as we get older, it’s that you’re around your loved ones,” Schottenheimer said. “And you’re around people that you care about.

“Especially in this profession when we spend so much time at the office, and commit so much of our time to our profession and our passion, you want your family to be happy. And quite honestly, I’m also looking forward to trying to be a mentor and a guide to some young kids. And I see myself certainly, always have, as more than just a football coach.”

In his three seasons as Rams offensive coordinator, the team finished 23rd in total offense in 2012, 30th in 2013, and 28th this past season. The Rams were outscored 106 to 48 in the third quarter this season, raising questions about whether Schottenheimer was getting outmaneuvered by in-game adjustments.

There were plenty of mitigating factors, however, not the least of which was having quarterback Sam Bradford healthy for only 23 of Schottenheimer’s 48 games in St. Louis.

Kellen Clemens, Shaun Hill and Austin Davis ended up starting more games (25) than Bradford during Schottenheimer’s tenure. Less than a month removed from his status as the Rams’ fourth-string quarterback, Davis became the starter in Game 2 of the regular season at Tampa Bay.

Being forced to start fourth-stringers usually isn’t an Rx for success in the NFL, but for a while Schottenheimer made it work. Davis rallied the Rams to a last-minute victory over Tampa, and then helped the offense put up 448 yards and 466 yards, respectively, in narrow losses to Dallas and Philadelphia.

There were also victories over Seattle and San Francisco with Davis at quarterback before he faded at midseason. So Schottenheimer certainly deserves some credit for squeezing what he could out of Davis.

Even so, it’s easy enough to make the assumption that he was pushed out the door by head coach Jeff Fisher before the Rams enter what will be a critical fourth season in St. Louis. But Schottenheimer told the Post-Dispatch that wasn’t the case.

“He definitely wanted me back,” Schottenheimer said. “Again, (the Georgia job) was something I was excited about when this opportunity presented itself. It just was something that felt right.”

At his season-ending media session, Fisher called Schottenheimer, “an outstanding play-caller. He’s very organized. He’s an excellent teacher. So you can’t put the record on his shoulders. That’d be very, very unfair.”

However, when offenses struggle, coordinators are under fire from media and fans. Schottenheimer was aware of the criticism but said that didn’t factor into his decision to leave.

“It certainly didn’t play any factor in it,” he said. “I’m awfully proud of what we were able to do. We had some adversity. Nobody expects to go two straight years, whatever it was, without having your starting quarterback.

“It certainly wasn’t perfect. Are there calls and things I’d like to have back? Absolutely. I don’t think anybody’s gonna be more critical of themselves than the person making the decisions — whether it’s the head coach, coordinator on offense, defense, or whatever. But (the criticism) had absolutely nothing to do with the decision.

“I’ve been around the game long enough where I’ve been really, really smart one week and then next week I was the dumbest guy on the block. That just kinda comes with the territory. So are you aware of it? Sure you’re aware of it from time to time. It doesn’t affect you as you grow up in the business.”

Schottenheimer has always been ambitious, and after the New York Jets went to back-to-back AFC championship games during the 2009 and 2010 seasons with him as coordinator, it looked like he was potential head-coaching fodder.

But his NFL career, in terms of team success, has stalled since then. Coaching at the college ranks represents kind of a career re-start for him and a chance to perhaps become a college head coach after a couple of seasons at Georgia.

At age 41, Schottenheimer is young enough to relate well with college players. He’s talkative and polished.

“I’ve not been looking to move on, but I certainly had an appreciation for the SEC, having played in that conference,” Schottenheimer said. “Going to Florida, I’ve just been a big SEC fan. There weren’t many jobs that I would ever consider leaving where I was. But I’ve also thought about college football for a while.

“When I found out this was a possible option, I certainly was interested. I had a great job, but think I’m also going to a great opportunity. I think we all take a look at each situation, each year in this crazy profession that we’re in and say, ‘OK, what’s in the best interests of me professionally, and also my family?’

“And I think when we looked at all the factors together, we just felt really, really good about going down and starting a new chapter, a new journey at the University of Georgia.”

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
“He definitely wanted me back,” Schottenheimer said. “Again, (the Georgia job) was something I was excited about when this opportunity presented itself. It just was something that felt right.”
“When I found out this was a possible option, I certainly was interested. I had a great job, but think I’m also going to a great opportunity. I think we all take a look at each situation, each year in this crazy profession that we’re in and say, ‘OK, what’s in the best interests of me professionally, and also my family?’

So it's either true, or both Fisher and Schotty are just lying to people for the fun of it.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 Sportsbook Champion
This is going to be good a change for us I feel.... however being we have a competent OC. Anyone have Shurmur's phone #?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yep. I'm leaning towards being burned out and leaving to go enjoy football for a while.
He'll definitely have more time with his family now (which he mentioned), and that's always more important.

Could be but man he has done a complete 180 from last year then because he was interviewing for an NFL head coaching gig then. Maybe the time constraints were creating some marital strain.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
My thoughts:
  • I am nervous about his replacement
  • Not thrilled with the thought of the team learning a new offense
  • I worry about a slow start in 2015
  • I worry about our ability to recruit being Fisher's 4th season and a lot of pressure to deliver
  • Another new O for Sam, or are we considering a change at QB
  • I think Schotty got more blame at times than deserved, from myself included
  • I found this offense puzzling. Hot and cold. Poor 2nd half adjustments. Predictive tendencies which frustrated me.
  • This offense had many years, pre Rams, of below average result. The potential for a more explosive offense makes me somewhat excited about this change
  • This seemed like a hard offense to learn
  • I wish Brian well. He was a good coach in the media and represented us well

Holy political correctness Batman!

You found the offense puzzling, hot and cold, poor halftime adjustments, predictive tendencies, many years of below average results, hard to learn, but are worrying about who replaces him?

What's left to worry about?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Could be but man he has done a complete 180 from last year then because he was interviewing for an NFL head coaching gig then. Maybe the time constraints were creating some marital strain.
Nah. Read a few posts earlier in this thread. He's been drawn to the college game for bit, and he wants to be closer to family.
Fisher asked him to stay, but he's made his decision.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Schottenheimer heads south for Georgia
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_468a1d2d-f53c-511a-b7ea-f56ab568aa78.html

Brian Schottenheimer has been looking at working in the South, especially college football in the South, for the past couple of years. And now he’s going to do just that, as the new offensive coordinator of the Georgia Bulldogs.

“Before I took the job with the Rams, I interviewed with Coach (Nick) Saban down at Alabama,” Schottenheimer told the Post-Dispatch on Wednesday. “Last year, the Vanderbilt thing kind of came out of nowhere, and was kind of enticing for me.”

The Vanderbilt job would have been for the head-coaching position that went to Derek Mason. Schottenheimer also interviewed for the Jacksonville Jaguars job following the 2012 season, a job that went to Gus Bradley.

The common thread in all those interviews? They were all at places south of the Mason-Dixon line.

“Quite honestly, a big part of the decision was my family,” Schottenheimer said. “We make a lot of sacrifices in this profession. We’re closer to family down there in Athens. That was certainly a part of it.”

His wife’s family is from Alabama, and his parents live in North Carolina.

“When you look at what’s important to us as we get older, it’s that you’re around your loved ones,” Schottenheimer said. “And you’re around people that you care about.

“Especially in this profession when we spend so much time at the office, and commit so much of our time to our profession and our passion, you want your family to be happy. And quite honestly, I’m also looking forward to trying to be a mentor and a guide to some young kids. And I see myself certainly, always have, as more than just a football coach.”

In his three seasons as Rams offensive coordinator, the team finished 23rd in total offense in 2012, 30th in 2013, and 28th this past season. The Rams were outscored 106 to 48 in the third quarter this season, raising questions about whether Schottenheimer was getting outmaneuvered by in-game adjustments.

There were plenty of mitigating factors, however, not the least of which was having quarterback Sam Bradford healthy for only 23 of Schottenheimer’s 48 games in St. Louis.

Kellen Clemens, Shaun Hill and Austin Davis ended up starting more games (25) than Bradford during Schottenheimer’s tenure. Less than a month removed from his status as the Rams’ fourth-string quarterback, Davis became the starter in Game 2 of the regular season at Tampa Bay.

Being forced to start fourth-stringers usually isn’t an Rx for success in the NFL, but for a while Schottenheimer made it work. Davis rallied the Rams to a last-minute victory over Tampa, and then helped the offense put up 448 yards and 466 yards, respectively, in narrow losses to Dallas and Philadelphia.

There were also victories over Seattle and San Francisco with Davis at quarterback before he faded at midseason. So Schottenheimer certainly deserves some credit for squeezing what he could out of Davis.

Even so, it’s easy enough to make the assumption that he was pushed out the door by head coach Jeff Fisher before the Rams enter what will be a critical fourth season in St. Louis. But Schottenheimer told the Post-Dispatch that wasn’t the case.

At his season-ending media session, Fisher called Schottenheimer, “an outstanding play-caller. He’s very organized. He’s an excellent teacher. So you can’t put the record on his shoulders. That’d be very, very unfair.”

However, when offenses struggle, coordinators are under fire from media and fans. Schottenheimer was aware of the criticism but said that didn’t factor into his decision to leave.

“It certainly didn’t play any factor in it,” he said. “I’m awfully proud of what we were able to do. We had some adversity. Nobody expects to go two straight years, whatever it was, without having your starting quarterback.

“It certainly wasn’t perfect. Are there calls and things I’d like to have back? Absolutely. I don’t think anybody’s gonna be more critical of themselves than the person making the decisions — whether it’s the head coach, coordinator on offense, defense, or whatever. But (the criticism) had absolutely nothing to do with the decision.

“I’ve been around the game long enough where I’ve been really, really smart one week and then next week I was the dumbest guy on the block. That just kinda comes with the territory. So are you aware of it? Sure you’re aware of it from time to time. It doesn’t affect you as you grow up in the business.”

Schottenheimer has always been ambitious, and after the New York Jets went to back-to-back AFC championship games during the 2009 and 2010 seasons with him as coordinator, it looked like he was potential head-coaching fodder.

But his NFL career, in terms of team success, has stalled since then. Coaching at the college ranks represents kind of a career re-start for him and a chance to perhaps become a college head coach after a couple of seasons at Georgia.

At age 41, Schottenheimer is young enough to relate well with college players. He’s talkative and polished.

“I’ve not been looking to move on, but I certainly had an appreciation for the SEC, having played in that conference,” Schottenheimer said. “Going to Florida, I’ve just been a big SEC fan. There weren’t many jobs that I would ever consider leaving where I was. But I’ve also thought about college football for a while.

“And I think when we looked at all the factors together, we just felt really, really good about going down and starting a new chapter, a new journey at the University of Georgia.”
I'm happy for him. I've always had the impression that he's a genuinely good guy.