Schottey out as OC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's actually the best decision I ever made. I left a highly successful financial venture and sold my business to slow down and enjoy life. Took me a few years longer than it took him, but still. And it's not like he won't be making good money. It's probably that he's finally realized what's more important. I think it's great if true. I find it odd that people would want to discount what was said by both Fisher and Schotty in favor of thinking the worst if for no other reason than to substantiate their opinion of the guy.
I don't know how old you are, but - at least for me - the older I got, the more things like family really mattered.

Yesterday, I came down hard on Fisher about this (actually called him gutless).

But, after reading the Jim Thomas article and reading what Schottenheimer said, it resonated with me personally.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Just picking nits here but I never heard Sam say this. Not saying it didn't happen. I've just never heard anyone describe Schotty's system as easy to learn. Maybe we should get someone who draws the play on his palm with his finger. :D
I said *fairly* easy to learn. It took his first season to master as they were installing it, and then he was reported as saying that it was second nature after that. "Comfort zone" is a phrase he kept using after 2012 was over. And along the way in his first season (while learning it), he had his best season. So either Bradford is incredibly smart, or Schotty's system isn't overly complex. Or, like always, the answer lies somewhere in the middle. Either way, like I said earlier here, I'm kinda done taking about him now. We're on to the next chapter and people are just gonna kind of settle on what they want to think about the guy anyway.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't know how old you are, but - at least for me - the older I got, the more things like family really mattered.

Yesterday, I came down hard on Fisher about this (actually called him gutless).

But, after reading the Jim Thomas article and reading what Schottenheimer said, it resonated with me personally.
48. I found myself living to work instead of working to live. Everything started taking a back seat to money, and I didn't like the wake I was leaving.
Now I'm just enjoying life with my wife, my dogs, and have a deeper relationship with my kids and relatives. It's pretty awesome.
I hope Schotty gets everything out of this decision that he wants. He certainly won't regret it if he does.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Okay, fine. I'm kinda done with all of this nonsense now anyway. Fisher meant this, and Schotty meant that. Not what they said. It's what our infallible ability to read minds has told us, coupled with the actions of other people who have no direct parallel to this situation. If people wanna think that Fisher pushed Schotty out the door because he sucks, and Schotty took the job because he had no other options and his family doesn't matter, then okay. I really don't care anymore. Let's just go with that and move on.
If people were stuck on the idea that Schotty was bad and the main problem with the offense no matter what, that's the only conclusion they CAN draw from Schotty's departure.

If other theories about Schotty couldn't even be considered THEN, they won't be NOW.

I just wonder what the reaction will be the next game the offense lays an egg then. Probably a new scapegoat.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If people were stuck on the idea that Schotty was bad and the main problem with the offense no matter what, that's the only conclusion they CAN draw from Schotty's departure.

If other theories about Schotty couldn't even be considered THEN, they won't be NOW.

I just wonder what the reaction will be the next game the offense lays an egg then. Probably a new scapegoat.
I'll echo what a lot of posters have said:
If the hire is from within, potentially minimizes turbulence coming out of the gate.
If the hire is from outside, manyh expect turnbulence (slow start).

So, the "scapegoat" could end up being the new system, so to speak.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Probably a new scapegoat.
There will always be a new scapegoat. For some, Schotty was the scapegoat for all our offensive woes. That is probably not a fair position but he was the OC so... I am not trying to bag on Schotty so much as I am hopeful at this point that it WAS mostly due to his schemes and system. Hopefully the next OC gets better results. Period.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
There will always be a new scapegoat. For some, Schotty was the scapegoat for all our offensive woes. That is probably not a fair position but he was the OC so... I am not trying to bag on Schotty so much as I am hopeful at this point that it WAS mostly due to his schemes and system. Hopefully the next OC gets better results. Period.
Sure... NOW we all hope that he was the primary problem... whether it's to vindicate our opinion or just because that means the Rams succeed. :)

MrMotes

Starter
Okay, fine. I'm kinda done with all of this nonsense now anyway. Fisher meant this, and Schotty meant that. Not what they said. It's what our infallible ability to read minds has told us, coupled with the actions of other people who have no direct parallel to this situation. If people wanna think that Fisher pushed Schotty out the door because he sucks, and Schotty took the job because he had no other options and his family doesn't matter, then okay. I really don't care anymore. Let's just go with that and move on.

You should try reading my posts. I just wrote:

Exactly. Saying nice things when leaving is the classy and professional thing to do. It could also be exactly how it went down.

I think it's entirely possible and reasonable that it went down exactly the way each says it did. But i also think it's reasonable and possible that it didn't...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Exactly. Saying nice things when leaving is the classy and professional thing to do. It could also be exactly how it went down.

I think it's entirely possible and reasonable that it went down exactly the way each says it did. But i also think it's reasonable and possible that it didn't...
I did. And I was responding to this:

Actions speak louder than words. The action is BS is no longer OC of the Rams...

Unless I'm mistaken, you're saying it doesn't matter what they said, because BS is no longer OC on the Rams, so it must mean he wasn't wanted.
If that's not what you're saying, then my bad. Like I said ... doesn't matter anymore anyway.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Nah man - He's talking about many more posts than yours. I'm sure mine as well. I think it's more that it is just a tired subject for him and I really don't blame him. Not sure anything new is left to be said.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I did. And I was responding to this:

Actions speak louder than words. The action is BS is no longer OC of the Rams...

Unless I'm mistaken, you're saying it doesn't matter what they said, because BS is no longer OC on the Rams, so it must mean he wasn't wanted.
If that's not what you're saying, then my bad. Like I said ... doesn't matter anymore anyway.
Oop! Thought you were done with this thread. Pardon me for butting in.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not talking about Schotty anymore.
How about Schotty's dog? WTF is this anyway?
Schotty dog.jpg

MrMotes

Starter

I specifically said i think it's possible it went down the way they said it did, and i do. But i also think it's possible it didn't. You can't really know. Most people will say the politically correct polite thing in theses situations regardless. But again, he's not here anymore and he didn't leave for a HC gig. So alternate explanations seem like real possibilities to me too...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I specifically said i think it's possible it went down the way they said it did, and i do. But i also think it's possible it didn't. You can't really know. Most people will say the politically correct polite thing in theses situations regardless. But again, he's not here anymore and he didn't leave for a HC gig. So alternate explanations seem like real possibilities to me too...
K.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
My thoughts:
  • I am nervous about his replacement
  • Not thrilled with the thought of the team learning a new offense
  • I worry about a slow start in 2015
  • I worry about our ability to recruit being Fisher's 4th season and a lot of pressure to deliver
  • Another new O for Sam, or are we considering a change at QB
  • I think Schotty got more blame at times than deserved, from myself included
  • I found this offense puzzling. Hot and cold. Poor 2nd half adjustments. Predictive tendencies which frustrated me.
  • This offense had many years, pre Rams, of below average result. The potential for a more explosive offense makes me somewhat excited about this change
  • This seemed like a hard offense to learn
  • I wish Brian well. He was a good coach in the media and represented us well
Damn you're good.