Schottey out as OC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Kyle Shanahan shook loose in Cleveland and I doubt he gets a HC job. Thing is, I've never really been impressed with him as a play-caller and tutor of QBs. Seems way too inflexible.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Doubtful. Most coaches are that way, I guess.
My thoughts exactly. FWIW, I wasn't championing K. Shanahan as our new OC, just putting the info out there.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
They're all kind of derivative of the Buddy Ryan defense, and that's Williams' D of choice too. I can't agree that he likes to let his coordinators have free rein. Doesn't sound like it meshes with his desire to *be* a certain kind of team. But I agree it'll be exciting, and I hope the new coordinator does markedly better for everyone here.
The Buddy Ryan descent is indisputable, but that Williams is far more blitz happy is equally indisputable. I think we may see an offense with a true identity next year.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Hence the non-sequitor "for what its worth".

missed that sorry....

considering a rookie QB got to the AFC championship in NY, it "worked" there too.

this is very true, and would strongly imply that at least at that time it wasn't to much.

Also agree that it is time for a split and it will be good for both. I don't blame him for all our trouble on O, there area lot of reasons for it well outside his control.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
“I’ve been around the game long enough where I’ve been really, really smart one week and then next week I was the dumbest guy on the block. That just kinda comes with the territory. So are you aware of it? Sure you’re aware of it from time to time. It doesn’t affect you as you grow up in the business.”

So it's either true, or both Fisher and Schotty are just lying to people for the fun of it.
Or Fish was tired of his being the dumbest guy on the block and he is still in face saving mode. I'm not going to put too much into any of this. Could be just the story they decided on or it could be true. I don't see any reason for Fish to come out and say he didn't actually want Schotty back even if it was true. I also don't see Schotty as the kind of guy who would go out pissing and moaning.

In either case, onward and upward. I am hoping that the new guy has a real plan and can get us at least a little better output in the form of meaningful points and maybe giving our offense more of an identity. Or maybe just have some games where the offense doesn't need a lights out game by the defense in order to win.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Kyle Shanahan shook loose in Cleveland and I doubt he gets a HC job. Thing is, I've never really been impressed with him as a play-caller and tutor of QBs. Seems way too inflexible.

Shanahan Jr would be among the worst hire possibilities. Just like with Schotty, he understands the game deeply but has not made his bones the hard way, off of his own name and rising off of his ability to teach and translate what he knows to players executing the scheme.

When Fish hired Schotty I knew it would give us plodding, sorry offense. Sorry to say I was correct on that. Shanahan Jr gives me the same feeling, so all I can say is if Fish hires him over more qualified options like Chud he's looking to get fired.

But hopefully Fish knows better than to make such a decision.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Or Fish was tired of his being the dumbest guy on the block and he is still in face saving mode. I'm not going to put too much into any of this. Could be just the story they decided on or it could be true. I don't see any reason for Fish to come out and say he didn't actually want Schotty back even if it was true. I also don't see Schotty as the kind of guy who would go out pissing and moaning.

In either case, onward and upward. I am hoping that the new guy has a real plan and can get us at least a little better output in the form of meaningful points and maybe giving our offense more of an identity. Or maybe just have some games where the offense doesn't need a lights out game by the defense in order to win.
Your use of sarcasm confuses me.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave

There is too much blue text here.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Me too. I have no idea why it switched back to blue font. Maybe it's my computer somehow but it happens from time to time and I usually catch it right after I post. It's corrected now if you want to go back and read it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Me too. I have no idea why it switched back to blue font. Maybe it's my computer somehow but it happens from time to time and I usually catch it right after I post. It's corrected now if you want to go back and read it.
Still confusing. :whistle:

MrMotes

Starter
I'm not going to put too much into any of this. Could be just the story they decided on or it could be true.

Exactly. Saying nice things when leaving is the classy and professional thing to do. It could also be exactly how it went down.

OTOH, i don't know of a lot of 41 year old type A's who are looking to slow down and spend more time with the family. They tend to be in career mode. And BS's NFL career was stalling, if anything his star was getting less bright. Shaking things up is probably a smart way to try and get his career back on an upward trajectory.

As for Fisher, he's not nearly as demanding of his offense as he is with his defense so i could see him being cool either way, stay or go...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
OTOH, i don't know of a lot of 41 year old type A's who are looking to slow down and spend more time with the family.
That's actually the best decision I ever made. I left a highly successful financial venture and sold my business to slow down and enjoy life. Took me a few years longer than it took him, but still. And it's not like he won't be making good money. It's probably that he's finally realized what's more important. I think it's great if true. I find it odd that people would want to discount what was said by both Fisher and Schotty in favor of thinking the worst if for no other reason than to substantiate their opinion of the guy.

MFaulk107

The Realness
Our offense did lack because of schotty......but Hill was terrible. Qbs who can't throw the ball can make a oc look worst than they are.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Bradford who say he was Organized and his system was fairly easy to learn.

Just picking nits here but I never heard Sam say this. Not saying it didn't happen. I've just never heard anyone describe Schotty's system as easy to learn. Maybe we should get someone who draws the play on his palm with his finger. :D

MrMotes

Starter
That's actually the best decision I ever made. I left a highly successful financial venture and sold my business to slow down and enjoy life. Took me a few years longer than it took him, but still. And it's not like he won't be making good money. It's probably that he's finally realized what's more important. I think it's great if true. I find it odd that people would want to discount what was said by both Fisher and Schotty in favor of thinking the worst if for no other reason than to substantiate their opinion of the guy.

It's not the worst, it's just what everyone says in that situation, whether it's true or not. Like when a politician steps down to spend more time with his family, it's punch line at this point.

Actions speak louder than words. The action is BS is no longer OC of the Rams...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It's not the worst, it's just what everyone says in that situation, whether it's true or not. Like when a politician steps down to spend more time with his family, it's punch line at this point.

Actions speak louder than words. The action is BS is no longer OC of the Rams...
Okay, fine. I'm kinda done with all of this nonsense now anyway. Fisher meant this, and Schotty meant that. Not what they said. It's what our infallible ability to read minds has told us, coupled with the actions of other people who have no direct parallel to this situation. If people wanna think that Fisher pushed Schotty out the door because he sucks, and Schotty took the job because he had no other options and his family doesn't matter, then okay. I really don't care anymore. Let's just go with that and move on.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Okay, fine. I'm kinda done with all of this nonsense now anyway. Fisher meant this, and Schotty meant that. Not what they said. It's what our infallible ability to read minds has told us, coupled with the actions of other people who have no direct parallel to this situation. If people wanna think that Fisher pushed Schotty out the door because he sucks, and Schotty took the job because he had no other options and his family doesn't matter, then okay. I really don't care anymore. Let's just go with that and move on.
Bout time you came around. :cool: