Sam's pick 6

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
bwdenverram said:
We can all argue if it was the best place to throw or not but I cannot blame the INT on Sam. I watched it several times and every time all I came away with is it hit DR right in the hands, bounced off his shoulder pad and then...well, nothing good happened.

It's likely a play that goes nowhere. But the Sam bashers will say it was all his fault..Good grief.
The idiots on the PD forget our defense gave up 375 yards in the air. Sam doesn't play defense. He doesn't cause ST penalties or dropped passes.

Sam is the least of our problems. This offense is already miles ahead of anything we've had the last 5 years.
Sam does need to learn to just throw the ball away rather than throw a pass that is going to end up with no gain.
But he sure looks good to me for the most part.
The idiots on PD are bizarre. No matter what Bradford does they bash him. I guess some people are so determined to be right in the Suh/Bradford debate, logic just dies. Sam is off to a great start and the most positive thing bashers will say is that he is average.

As for the pick 6, the interception wasn't Bradford's fault. It's one of those things that happens. Hopefully we don't see too many of those.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
FRO said:
As for the pick 6, the interception wasn't Bradford's fault. It's one of those things that happens. Hopefully we don't see too many of those.

I agree. I rewatched it today. In several speeds. Over and over.

Sam had to get rid of the ball he was about to get pressure from his left, and he didn't throw it too hard. No harder than I saw Luck throw the same type of pass yesterday. If he threw it any softer DRich would not have any room at all after the catch.

It was pretty simple really, DRich had just got to catch the damn ball. How hard is that? If you can't do it, then get off the field.

I got the impression from listening to Fisher tonight that Pead is gonna see more time very soon.

bluecoconuts

Legend
max said:
FRO said:

I agree. I rewatched it today. In several speeds. Over and over.

Sam had to get rid of the ball he was about to get pressure from his left, and he didn't throw it too hard. No harder than I saw Luck throw the same type of pass yesterday. If he threw it any softer DRich would not have any room at all after the catch.

It was pretty simple really, DRich had just got to catch the damn ball. How hard is that? If you can't do it, then get off the field.

I got the impression from listening to Fisher tonight that Pead is gonna see more time very soon.

I think he should. I didn't see much from Stacy last week or Cunningham yesterday. Pead wasnt impressive in the run game either, but Richardson hasn't been the past two weeks, so frankly they all need to work on that. However Pead looked like the best of the bunch catching the ball and moving with it. Someone said yesterday that Pead may make a better WR than RB... since we're not doing jack in the run game we might as well put the pass catching pass blocking guy in there, and maybe he will get some good runs too. Not that I want Richardson out of the picture, I still think he's the best runner of the bunch at this point, but I want Pead to factor in more if he is going to be the better receiver.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Heck, I'm game for an I formation with Tavon and Pead in the backfield for a passing play.

FRO

Legend
Hopefully the run game picks up. I think we will be in the market for a RB this offseason.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
When I watched this during the game I thought Sam simply threw it too hard. After watching the replay, I changed my mind. Still a tough catch to make but definitely should have been made. As to whether or not Sam should have thrown it to DR, it appears that is a designed quick hitter that simply wasn't going to work. In that case, it's bang bang. DR chips and then peals off and you hit him. DR should have caught that ball but it wasn't going anywhere anyway. Not sure the timing of that kind of play was well advised. We hadn't done anything to stretch the defense IIRR. And to whether Sam should have seen the LB and gone elsewhere, I would have to see it from his eyes. It appears to me that the LB is hidden behind the O-linemen.

Regardless, as Paulie said, it's a play that didn't work.

Hell, I remember those quick outs that Martz used to design where Warner and Bulger both would make a perfect pass to the CB streaking up the field for the pick 6. Those were also plays that didn't work.

On the pick 6 yesterday, I would agree that DR shouldn't be facing Sam. If he is quartered back, he likely is also half way past the LB and if it hits his hands and he doesn't catch it, it probably hits the turf. But what the hell do I know? Shaddup Alan!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
BTW - in case you guys didn't see this.
The Quote: Richardson on the pass that bounced off his hands, was intercepted by Osi Umenyiora and returned 68 yards for a touchdown: "I took my eye off of it. I was looking to run and I need to make sure I eye ball that ball and catch it."

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
DR said what any WR would say if he wants to keep on good terms with his QB. As for the play itself, It's one of the few plays I actually saw and what I saw was Sam throwing the ball with way too much force considering the distance between them. I still put this on Sams shoulders. DR might have caught it had he concentrated more but it would have been a great catch IMO. My vision isn't the best of course so naturally I could be mistaken but it's what I saw.
I'll look at it again on Wednesday.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
albefree69 said:
DR said what any WR would say if he wants to keep on good terms with his QB. As for the play itself, It's one of the few plays I actually saw and what I saw was Sam throwing the ball with way too much force considering the distance between them. I still put this on Sams shoulders. DR might have caught it had he concentrated more but it would have been a great catch IMO. My vision isn't the best of course so naturally I could be mistaken but it's what I saw.
I'll look at it again on Wednesday.

Look at it again.

I felt the same way you did the first time I saw it.

And I watched Luck throw the same time of ball just as hard to his backs in the same position. His guys either caught it or dropped it, but none of them had it bounce off their face masks.

Hey, I like DRich and I'm pulling for him, but he is just too small for what Fisher wants in a RB. IMO, DRich is a stop gap until next year. Does anyone honestly believe SJ has that ball go off his face mask?

Of all the concerns I have with Sam, him throwing the ball too hard to a RB is not one of them.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
max doubling down:
Of all the concerns I have with Sam, him throwing the ball too hard to a RB is not one of them.

That's actually the main problem I have with him. It's not the "throwing the ball too hard to a RB" per se, it's the fact that it's just another example of his trouble with passes that require "touch" to succeed. I thought he was making progress in this area and I still think that but pending a complete reversal of my view of the play, it was a step back in his progress IMO.

I'll wait until Wednesday to look at it again and see if my son agrees with me. I use his eyes all the time. :bg:

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
max said:
Hey, I like DRich and I'm pulling for him, but he is just too small for what Fisher wants in a RB. IMO, DRich is a stop gap until next year. Does anyone honestly believe SJ has that ball go off his face mask?
That's really my only only complaint. Not with Sam or Daryl, but rather that they are designing the plays as if we still had Jackson on the team.

We've all seen SJ stop, turn around and make that catch at the line of scrimmage only to be tackled ... no hammered for maybe a minimal gain. But it did what it was supposed to to ... bring up the secondary, allowing them to open up routes down field. Plays like that are supposed to be about the next play.

DR isn't SJ, he has a different skill set. For one, I would forget the chip block option and just time it to use his speed, at least until his blocking improves :) And then I would have Austin and Givens run a quick slant, and use Kendricks on the right side on that play as the real check down with the option to run a route. If everything fails and there's time, either pass to Pettis on a flat route or throw it out of bounds.

Yeah, I know, good thing I'm not a coach :) I just think they need to embrace the speed and that's where I think they're going. This team will be completely different next year as things come together.

TexasRam

Legend
There are a handful of plays in each game in which a Superior WR or RB will take nothing, make the first man miss and gain positive yardage. Faulk has taken many such passes and put a super juke on the LB en route to a big gain. In fact we used to expect it regularly. DRich isn't that same juke guy and he doesn't have the hands of Faulk or some other RB's. He is a very good north south runner which very good vision through holes though.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Here's my question for those who say the pass was a bullet, or lacked touch, or was 80MPH. Since the play was essentially a "bang-bang" play where Richardson got his hands on it and was immediately hit, what would happen if the pass was slower or had more arc? Basically the same thing, right? Or worse? Or maybe it's just a straight up interception with Richardson not being involved at all.

Yeah, I stand by my original statement on this. It just didn't work.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
X said:
Here's my question for those who say the pass was a bullet, or lacked touch, or was 80MPH. Since the play was essentially a "bang-bang" play where Richardson got his hands on it and was immediately hit, what would happen if the pass was slower or had more arc? Basically the same thing, right? Or worse? Or maybe it's just a straight up interception with Richardson not being involved at all.

I totally agree that if the pass was slower or got to DR later it wouldn't have given DR much of a chance to do anything except get hit immediately or worse.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
X said:

Yeah, I think like you said it was a design play that was just dead on arrival.

The guy who eventually caught the pick was just in the right place at the right time in more ways than one.

People keep saying Cook was open, but I saw this openness in question on the PD. While he looked to have beaten his man, the guy who eventually got the pick against them was underneath, in the perfect position to follow Sam's eyes and pick it off between him and Cook.

IMO if he threw it to Cook it would have just been the same result a lot faster.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X forgetting my name:
Here's my question for those who say the pass was a bullet, or lacked touch, or was 80MPH. Since the play was essentially a "bang-bang" play where Richardson got his hands on it and was immediately hit, what would happen if the pass was slower or had more arc?

max piling on:
I totally agree that if the pass was slower or got to DR later it wouldn't have given DR much of a chance to do anything except get hit immediately or worse.

OK, you guys aren't looking at this in the same way I am and you're completely missing my point. I'm going to approach my answer in a back assward way by addressing your quotes first.

The answer to both of your questions is something bad would happen. Is that DR's fault? Should Sam have made that pass at all? Shpuld that play have even been called at all? The answer to all those questions is no. What I think would have happened, had Sam made that pass with the "touch" needed for a completion, would have been the usual outcome of all Schotty's passes behind the LOS, a small loss on the play. In no way does either of your comments invalidate my contention. Both of you, IMO, just bring up the other issue I had with that play, which is Schotty's continued use of that horrible play that I wish someone would burn from his memory until we get Faulk and Warner back.

What might invalidate my view, is if the speed of the ball versus the distance between them should have resulted in a catch. I'll know more about that when I see it again on Wednesday.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
albefree69 said:
X forgetting my name:
Here's my question for those who say the pass was a bullet, or lacked touch, or was 80MPH. Since the play was essentially a "bang-bang" play where Richardson got his hands on it and was immediately hit, what would happen if the pass was slower or had more arc?

max piling on:

OK, you guys aren't looking at this in the same way I am and you're completely missing my point. I'm going to approach my answer in a back assward way by addressing your quotes first.

The answer to both of your questions is something bad would happen. Is that DR's fault? Should Sam have made that pass at all? Shpuld that play have even been called at all? The answer to all those questions is no. What I think would have happened, had Sam made that pass with the "touch" needed for a completion, would have been the usual outcome of all Schotty's passes behind the LOS, a small loss on the play. In no way does either of your comments invalidate my contention. Both of you, IMO, just bring up the other issue I had with that play, which is Schotty's continued use of that horrible play that I wish someone would burn from his memory until we get Faulk and Warner back.

What might invalidate my view, is if the speed of the ball versus the distance between them should have resulted in a catch. I'll know more about that when I see it again on Wednesday.

EDIT: Or someone could post the video of that throw and we could all make a determination. :whome?:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:
EDIT: Or someone could post the video of that throw and we could all make a determination. :whome?:
It's on the first page of the thread ... about 19 seconds in.

If that pass is too fast, or thrown too hard, then we need a new RB.
Other than that, it was one play that took a lucky bounce for the defense.

Happens.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:

Happens.

Kind of my thought as well.

Guys are paid to throw.

Guys are paid to catch.

The catching part has been far more sketchy.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
X said:
albefree69 said:
It's on the first page of the thread ... about 19 seconds in.

Happens.

I think we need a new RB anyways. I like Richardson and I'm really glad that he brings a talented edges to our RB group, but the bear the load, workhorse starter? I'm just not buying it.

He's really good at hitting the holes and gaining chunks of yard in open field, but his blocking, catching and ability to make out of what is given to him leaves a lot to be deserved.