Sam's pick 6

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I watched that play like 20 times in a row this morning. It seems to me that was the designed play to get Daryl Richardson out in space. It starts @ about 19 seconds.

[nfl]0ap2000000245266[/nfl]

PA fake and the look how fast Sam's head turns to Daryl. Again, looks like it was designed for him. Some in the chat said Sam shouldn't have thrown to him, maybe. It's hard to say considering no one is in Sam's POV. Either way...yes it was freaky flukey.

Now let's stop that next week.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I think people thought he was going to get hit immediatly and THAT was why Sam shouldn't have thrown it.
If the play was designed to go there it was part of the progression and I agree with those who say he should have gone elsewhere with the ball at least thrown it to lead him away from the hit but the throw stops him or fails to start him (you choose) and got DR tackled bang bang. Not a good throw and the only guy capable of running Osi down was tackled .

Sams gotta own that IMO.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Bradford never saw the guy that hit DRich.
But he had his hands on it so he should have caught it cause no matter what at that point he was getting blown up.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Here's my take.

It's a play that didn't work. :idk:

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Did u see Cook running open through the zone coverage in the second level of the defense? Sam missed that read or didn't feel comfortable fitting that ball in there.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
fastcat said:
Did u see Cook running open through the zone coverage in the second level of the defense? Sam missed that read or didn't feel comfortable fitting that ball in there.

Hard to tell what was going on with the safety coverage there, but it's possible he had an opportunity.
Someone with the all-22 (jrry) will have to verify that.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Thordaddy said:
I think people thought he was going to get hit immediatly and THAT was why Sam shouldn't have thrown it.
If the play was designed to go there it was part of the progression and I agree with those who say he should have gone elsewhere with the ball at least thrown it to lead him away from the hit but the throw stops him or fails to start him (you choose) and got DR tackled bang bang. Not a good throw and the only guy capable of running Osi down was tackled.

Sams gotta own that IMO.
I agree, sure it was a play action fake that he tried to dump off to Richardson on a flat route, but Weatherspoon was locked onto Richardson the whole time. Honestly, they would have had a much better chance on the rushing play.

I'm a huge fan of incorporating passes to the RB, just not when the defense has a linebacker spying him. Great idea, but I just think they should create some confusion with a slant route with the slot receiver, instead dumping off to the tight end when they're trying to establish the run.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Is it just me, or do our receivers tend to square up to the pass instead of taking it in stride?

Richardson seemed to be backpedaling, instead of working to get outside.

iced

when is coach film supposed to be available? can't see this weeks yet

bluecoconuts

Legend
X said:
fastcat said:

Hard to tell what was going on with the safety coverage there, but it's possible he had an opportunity.

Cook said that he was covered pretty much all day, jammed at the line/had safety's over the top to take him out of the play. I don't know what the coverage looked like that day, but my guess is he was taken out of the equation.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
bluecoconuts said:
X said:
fastcat said:

Cook said that he was covered pretty much all day, jammed at the line/had safety's over the top to take him out of the play. I don't know what the coverage looked like that day, but my guess is he was taken out of the equation.

On the interception replay you can see cook running through a zone, he was running into coverage but it lookked as if he was open for maybe a second, that's it. But Im watching it from my couch on the tv broadcast so the game film could prove he wasn't open at all. It wont change anything, just pointing it out but until then I seen what I seen, lol.

iced

fastcat said:
bluecoconuts said:
X said:
fastcat said:

On the interception replay you can see cook running through a zone, he was running into coverage but it lookked as if he was open for maybe a second, that's it. But Im watching it from my couch on the tv broadcast so the game film could prove he wasn't open at all. It wont change anything, just pointing it out but until then I seen what I seen, lol.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.nfl.com/videos/st-louis-rams/0ap2000000245411/Falcons-defense-INT-TD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nfl.com/videos/st-louis-rams ... nse-INT-TD</a>

doesn't look open to me - look how quickly he hits decoude

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
fastcat said:
bluecoconuts said:
X said:
fastcat said:

Zactly, no one knows. Hell I can look at every INT from any random QB and point out someone was open.

Seems like this was the design the whole damn way.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Ram Quixote said:
Is it just me, or do our receivers tend to square up to the pass instead of taking it in stride?

This is what I thought, much harder to catch anything backpedaling. That's what I tell my little leaguers anyhow. If he wouldn't of backpedaled he probably would have been further away and it would have been much easier to catch that ball.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
We can all argue if it was the best place to throw or not but I cannot blame the INT on Sam. I watched it several times and every time all I came away with is it hit DR right in the hands, bounced off his shoulder pad and then...well, nothing good happened.

It's likely a play that goes nowhere. But the Sam bashers will say it was all his fault..Good grief.
The idiots on the PD forget our defense gave up 375 yards in the air. Sam doesn't play defense. He doesn't cause ST penalties or dropped passes.

Sam is the least of our problems. This offense is already miles ahead of anything we've had the last 5 years.
Sam does need to learn to just throw the ball away rather than throw a pass that is going to end up with no gain.
But he sure looks good to me for the most part.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
PowayRamFan said:
Ram Quixote said:

This is what I thought, much harder to catch anything backpedaling. That's what I tell my little leaguers anyhow. If he wouldn't of backpedaled he probably would have been further away and it would have been much easier to catch that ball.
Plus, if he's moving away from Sam he's not so much in the LB's crosshairs.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Not to absolve Richardson of blame, but he's no receiver. We've all seen Jackson get killed on this play executing it the same way slowing up and turning to the pass. The difference is SJ usually ends up with the reception and if he breaks past that tackle starts drawing the safties up. My only problem with that is that again Richardson is no SJ. Even if he catches it at the line of scrimmage he's tackled right away.

So maybe in Daryl's best interest they practice the timing on that play to where he catches it over his shoulder, but is there really any timing on a play where he may have to throw a chip block? I don't know, but it seems to me like if they're trying to establish the run to draw in the secondary, they should run routes that exploit the defensive back movement inside.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It looks like right at the release of the ball, there is a big red jersey with his arms and hands up coming right at Sam. Maybe he had to zip it that speed to keep it from getting batted down?