Sam's pick 6

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
HometownBoy said:
X said:
albefree69 said:
EDIT: Or someone could post the video of that throw and we could all make a determination. :whome?:
It's on the first page of the thread ... about 19 seconds in.

If that pass is too fast, or thrown too hard, then we need a new RB.
Other than that, it was one play that took a lucky bounce for the defense.

Happens.

I think we need a new RB anyways. I like Richardson and I'm really glad that he brings a talented edges to our RB group, but the bear the load, workhorse starter? I'm just not buying it.

He's really good at hitting the holes and gaining chunks of yard in open field, but his blocking, catching and ability to make out of what is given to him leaves a lot to be deserved.
I dunno. I'm pretty happy with what he brings to the table. I think we have to wait and see how the whole RB situation shakes out this year with him, Pead and Stacy/Cunningham. Maybe towards the end of the season, a true "workhorse" type player will emerge, but I think we also need to get used to the idea that we may not have one of those. By design. I know it's not conventional, so that's why it's hard to get a grasp on.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
X said:
albefree69 said:
EDIT: Or someone could post the video of that throw and we could all make a determination. :whome?:

Happens.

Well, I've been on the "we need a new RB" bandwagon for a while. He's a nice backup, but he doesn't fit what Fisher wants in a RB.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
max said:
X said:
albefree69 said:

Happens.

Well, I've been on the "we need a new RB" bandwagon for a while. He's a nice backup, but he doesn't fit what Fisher wants in a RB.
Well, I really don't want to turn that statement into an indictment of Richardson as a back. Obviously I'm just saying that if the velocity of THAT pass is too hard, then the receiver/RB/whoever needs to find a new line of work. And of course Richardson already took ownership of that and said he needed to look the ball in before turning it upfield. But even then, I can't blame the guy. I'm sure he saw that defender bearing down on him in a hurry, so he tried to multitask.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
max said:

How do you say that, max?

Fisher is the one who named him the starter immediately.

If he wanted more of a bruiser, ala Stacy, why was he inactive week 2?

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
X said:
HometownBoy said:
X said:
albefree69 said:

Happens.

I think we need a new RB anyways. I like Richardson and I'm really glad that he brings a talented edges to our RB group, but the bear the load, workhorse starter? I'm just not buying it.

He's really good at hitting the holes and gaining chunks of yard in open field, but his blocking, catching and ability to make out of what is given to him leaves a lot to be deserved.
I dunno. I'm pretty happy with what he brings to the table. I think we have to wait and see how the whole RB situation shakes out this year with him, Pead and Stacy/Cunningham. Maybe towards the end of the season, a true "workhorse" type player will emerge, but I think we also need to get used to the idea that we may not have one of those. By design. I know it's not conventional, so that's why it's hard to get a grasp on.

It'd definitely be a lot easier to stomach if Cunningham and Stacy weren't rotting away on the bench while Pead and Richardson see a majority of the snaps.

I really like what Cunningham has to offer and think he has a lot of what made Jackson great in him, good speed and fearless runner with a powerful frame that can blow through people. Would be a great 3rd down back, but has only got 2 looks so far that went nowhere. Stacy hasn't even been active once.

It's odd considering Fisher's love for powerhouse running backs Ala Eddie George that he would keep our biggest boys out in opportunities that would fit them.

Richardson's very talented, no way around it, he's a damn good running back, but if we're running back by committee then I'd like to see more committee because I think we're wasting potential in those two.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
HometownBoy said:
It'd definitely be a lot easier to stomach if Cunningham and Stacy weren't rotting away on the bench while Pead and Richardson see a majority of the snaps.

I really like what Cunningham has to offer and think he has a lot of what made Jackson great in him, good speed and fearless runner with a powerful frame that can blow through people. Would be a great 3rd down back, but has only got 2 looks so far that went nowhere. Stacy hasn't even been active once.

It's odd considering Fisher's love for powerhouse running backs Ala Eddie George that he would keep our biggest boys out in opportunities that would fit them.

Richardson's very talented, no way around it, he's a damn good running back, but if we're running back by committee then I'd like to see more committee because I think we're wasting potential in those two.
You could be right, but what do you think the reasoning would be for Fisher to keep a less talented back on the bench if said RB gave the Rams the better opportunity for success? I wouldn't think he's stubborn. I wouldn't think he's a saboteur. So it has to be something about Cunningham's grasp of the offense, maybe.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
HometownBoy said:

Co-sign.

I like Richardson... but he doesn't scream bell-cow. He's got great speed to the edge, quick to the hole... but he's tackled by the cross wind.

The coaches need to mix in other runners to keep the defense honest. Me personally; I like what Stacy offers. But I'm open to anything that mixes it up.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
X said:
HometownBoy said:

You could be right, but what do you think the reasoning would be for Fisher to keep a less talented back on the bench if said RB gave the Rams the better opportunity for success? I wouldn't think he's stubborn. I wouldn't think he's a saboteur. So it has to be something about Cunningham's grasp of the offense, maybe.

Nah I wouldn't think anything ridiculous as Fisher trying to kill the team from the inside, if he wanted to do that all he'd have to do is just bench Bradford for Clemens.

Or he could be honing his skill, as has been documented Fisher loves his bruisers. So he probably knows a thing or two about how bruisers do, he could be letting Cunningham soak up some game knowledge before he goes out there. Like the announcer said when Benny was out there the first time, the patchwork is there, but he made a critical error in not getting lower than the guy hitting him and was forced back instead of moving forward. I don't doubt Fisher has been training him up with all the knowledge that helped him make bruisers of the past.

It also probably doesn't help that Richardson has the experience no him and Pead has the chip on his shoulder and something to prove. Not much leeway inside that.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X coming to the rescue:

After looking at that video, which I don't think was the same angle I'd seen before, I can see your point. I still think it was thrown to hard but I agree that it was a catchable ball that should have been caught. The onus is on DR.

That makes me feel a little better about the progress I thought I'd seen Sam make in that area. :bg:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:
X coming to the rescue:

After looking at that video, which I don't think was the same angle I'd seen before, I can see your point. I still think it was thrown to hard but I agree that it was a catchable ball that should have been caught. The onus is on DR.

That makes me feel a little better about the progress I thought I'd seen Sam make in that area. :bg:
Do you see what I mean about him taking something off of that pass?
I don't think there would have been a favorable outcome if he would have feathered it in there.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Another board...too much focus on the same play. :lol:

Richardson has no excuse. Ball hit him in the hands at chest level and was not thrown too hard. Richardson had the opportunity to catch the ball and cut inside if he had caught it cleanly. There were 4 yards of separation between him and the LB when the ball hit his hands.

Bradford also missed Cook who ran into an open window right as Bradford moved his eyes to Richardson. However, Bradford did go through his progressions. He looked at Givens, Pettis and Cook. All were covered at the points he looked at them. Cook had a LB trailing underneath him until Bradford moved onto his check-down progression.

This one is on Daryl.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
jrry32 said:
Another board...too much focus on the same play. :lol:

Richardson has no excuse. Ball hit him in the hands at chest level and was not thrown too hard. Richardson had the opportunity to catch the ball and cut inside if he had caught it cleanly. There were 4 yards of separation between him and the LB when the ball hit his hands.

Bradford also missed Cook who ran into an open window right as Bradford moved his eyes to Richardson. However, Bradford did go through his progressions. He looked at Givens, Pettis and Cook. All were covered at the points he looked at them. Cook had a LB trailing underneath him until Bradford moved onto his check-down progression.

This one is on Daryl.

I haven't looked at the replays, but my take is exactly what you said;

"Richardson has no excuse. Ball hit him in the hands at chest level and was not thrown too hard. Richardson had the opportunity to catch the ball and cut inside if he had caught it cleanly. There were 4 yards of separation between him and the LB when the ball hit his hands."

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X with an added question:
I don't think there would have been a favorable outcome if he would have feathered it in there.
There wasn't going to be a favorable outcome no matter what. I do see what you see and I think that's why he threw it so hard. That was a pass that shouldn't have been thrown at all IMO.
I disagree with jrry about both the speed of the ball and the likely result had he caught it. It would just as likely have resulted in a hit by the LB that would have caused a fumble because the LB was closing fast and the ball would have been at his chest level.

But that's just supposition. Bottom line for me is that I'm glad I was wrong about the throw being Sam's fault.

O at least I think I am.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
albefree69 said:
X with an added question:
There wasn't going to be a favorable outcome no matter what. I do see what you see and I think that's why he threw it so hard. That was a pass that shouldn't have been thrown at all IMO.
I disagree with jrry about both the speed of the ball and the likely result had he caught it. It would just as likely have resulted in a hit by the LB that would have caused a fumble because the LB was closing fast and the ball would have been at his chest level.

But that's just supposition. Bottom line for me is that I'm glad I was wrong about the throw being Sam's fault.

O at least I think I am.

I totally disagree with everything you said with the possible exception of being glad you were wrong. :cheese:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
max with a quick drive by shooting:
I totally disagree with everything you said with the possible exception of being glad you were wrong. :cheese:
Thanks! I think. :domg: :lol:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
albefree69 said:

He didn't throw it hard. Look at the arm action. That wasn't a throw that was zipped in there. He threw a firm ball so that Richardson would have time to make a move.

What? The ball was at chest level...that's where you tuck it to protect it. And the LB was not closing fast. He was 4 yards away from Richardson when he caught the ball.

Watch Richardson's 2nd catch of the game. It's the same type of play. Richardson catches it with about 4 yards of separation from the LB(the same LB) on a swing pass, slips the tackle and picks up 5 or so yards.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
jrry32 said:
Watch Richardson's 2nd catch of the game. It's the same type of play. Richardson catches it with about 4 yards of separation from the LB(the same LB) on a swing pass, slips the tackle and picks up 5 or so yards.

Yeah but... yeah but.. ah hell - I got nuthin'

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
jrry32 said:
albefree69 said:

He didn't throw it hard. Look at the arm action. That wasn't a throw that was zipped in there. He threw a firm ball so that Richardson would have time to make a move.

What? The ball was at chest level...that's where you tuck it to protect it. And the LB was not closing fast. He was 4 yards away from Richardson when he caught the ball.

Yup. I watched that play a zillion times in every possible speed. Agree with you completely.

I'm done with that play.

Boy, Bradford has come a long way from all the problems he had last year to getting criticized for a simple check down pass.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
max said:
[Boy, Bradford has come a long way from all the problems he had last year to getting criticized for a simple check down pass.
It's a sign of progress. :yeh:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
jrry32 with his take:

I think it's the perfect place to be struck by the LBs helmet.

This is from Rick Wagoner in another thread:
Bradford’s throw came out a bit hot, but it still hit Richardson in the hands and he simply didn’t handle it. The bad news for the Rams was that the Falcons just so happened to have the perfect call in place, with Umenyiora in the right spot at the right time.

I'm going to watch the whole game Wednesday but I'll pay special attention to that catch you're talking about.