Sammy Watkins and Tavon Austin will play on Sunday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/...n)-limited-wednesday?ls=roto:LAR:topheadlines

Sammy Watkins (concussion) was limited at Wednesday's practice.

He suffered a concussion in last week's win over the 49ers. Practicing in any capacity is a step in the right direction, though Watkins must pass the concussion protocol before he's cleared for Sunday's game in Dallas. He'll be a WR3 if he suits up. Sep 27 - 7:05 PM

McVay says Watkins and Austin were limited today. Webster and Brown were back. Barwin and Whitworth was off today (rest)

View: https://twitter.com/vcsjoecurley/status/913175318814392320

Ram65

Legend
Webster and Brown good news.

Hope limited means for Austin and Watkins will play.

Last edited:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Concussion protocol is tricky stuff.
They have pretty thorough testing they perform. Usually they set a baseline immediately after the concussion then test to find progress after symptoms are gone for x period of time. 2 weeks is often considered a short period of time although I am not up on the NFL's exact protocol. In the NFL I believe you enter protocol but may not actually ha be a concussion.

Q729

Legend
Hopefully they're all good and they are taking advantage of the situation to play some mind games!

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
They have pretty thorough testing they perform. Usually they set a baseline immediately after the concussion then test to find progress after symptoms are gone for x period of time. 2 weeks is often considered a short period of time although I am not up on the NFL's exact protocol. In the NFL I believe you enter protocol but may not actually ha be a concussion.

Earlier this week, I dug around for an answer to the question about whether being placed in the protocol means a player actually has a concussion. From what I could gather, it does in fact mean the player was diagnosed with a concussion. I suppose a diagnosis isn't 100%, but it's safe to assume anyone in the protocol does.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Earlier this week, I dug around for an answer to the question about whether being placed in the protocol means a player actually has a concussion. From what I could gather, it does in fact mean the player was diagnosed with a concussion. I suppose a diagnosis isn't 100%, but it's safe to assume anyone in the protocol does.

You could go into the protocol and get cleared, but if Watkins is still limited at this point, it likely means he had a concussion. Now, he just needs to get the green light from the neurologist.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
temp170927_RamsPractice_SOCIAL_042--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

Looks like he was in with the 1st team offense...

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Joyner's injury looked like it hurt him pretty bad. I really hope he can play, but I hihly doubt it.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
What was the prognosis for Joyner... it didn't look good when it happened..non-contact.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I say give Watkins another week off. We're going to need Sammy at 100% later on.
Roll with Kupp, Woods, Reynolds and lean on the TE's a little more. Cowboys LB's are mediocre at covering TE's anyway.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
Such an AWESOME trade. This goes down in history as one of the greats, just like Faulk. You heard it here first. Go Rams

EDITED BY MOD

Last edited by a moderator:

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
What was the prognosis for Joyner... it didn't look good when it happened..non-contact.
Based on where he was grabbing and where his ice pack was, it looked like a low hamstring. Those can be easier to come back from than a high-hammy in some situations, but it really did have the look of a multi-week injury. There are many players across the league dealing with multi-week hamstring injuries right now. Corey Davis rushed back and now he's been ruled out for a second game.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
As much as I want the kid out there, he needs to take care of himself. Your health before us Sammy. Be healthy and come back when you are ready.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
I don't think you can practice if you are still in protocol but I could be wrong? I was wrong once before way back when I was ten hahahahaha

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I say give Watkins another week off. We're going to need Sammy at 100% later on.
Roll with Kupp, Woods, Reynolds and lean on the TE's a little more. Cowboys LB's are mediocre at covering TE's anyway.

Gonna take a diff route here

This team...is a "Mr MoJo rising" gotta keep on rising...no way Sammy sits this out

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
You can't practice while you have a concussion, If you have a concussion you should be out for a few to several days after symptoms subside. If you have a concussion you usually have symptoms immediately
2 weeks about as quick as you can get cleared but again the protocol may include parameters I do not know. I only know from reffing and the mandatory courses all personnel are mandated to take. Whether it is Heads Up or Sports concussion institute or other they are pretty in sync.
The testing to gauge progress is pretty effective. I hope Sammy is fine and is just out for precaution and not diagnosed with a "Concussion"

This is what we were taught. The NFL is it's own monster. I hope Sammy gets back soon he is a difference maker

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Can anyone out there quote the NFL Concussion Protocol!?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can anyone out there quote the NFL Concussion Protocol!?
a. A player returns to baseline status of symptoms and neurologic exam, including cognitive and balance functions.

• i. Repeat neuropsychological evaluation is performed before return to practice or play with interpretation of the data by the team neuropsychology consultant. The team neuropsychology consultant reports the findings back to the team physician.
b. A graduated exercise challenge, followed by a gradual return to practice and play, is initiated when the player returns to baseline status. The RTP protocol following a concussion follows a stepwise process to be outlined in the NFL Head, Neck and Spine Committee’s Return to Participation Protocol.

c. Prior to return to practice or play, not only must the team physician clear the player, but the Independent Neurological Consultant with expertise in concussion must also evaluate and clear the player for return to practice and play.

d. A player may be considered for return to practice and play only after the player has returned to baseline status with rest and exertion, has repeat neuropsychological testing which is interpreted by the team neuropsychology consultant as back to baseline levels of functioning, and has completed the Return to Participation Protocol referenced above and is cleared by the Team Physician and the Independent Neurological Consultant.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Ex: a physician may ask fairly simple questions, show several random objects and ask they be memorized and do additional tests. then leave room and allow time to pass. Once x time has passed the tests will be repeated and results recorded Ex: time elapsed to answer, amount of correct answers etc, You now have a baseline.
Once symptoms are gone the athlete may be asked to go on a brisk walk to find if maybe the nausea, headaches or dizziness returns. More severe symptoms like light sensitivity etc are most likely long gone.
you then do a more strenuous exercise like running jumping etc the next day you get even closer to normal activity until you have resumed to symptom free normal activity.....
Some concussion symptoms can last weeks. months or even for the remainder of the affected athletes life.
I have seen 3 incidents in the past 2 mos in games I have been at and have followed the progress of the athletes. They are all back playing with 2 + weeks being the soonest return.

Last edited: