Sam Bradford on Scrutiny “I know what I’m doing. Just be patient"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I agree. My eye test has told me that Sam has played quite well at times, and he has been quite horrific at times. There has been times where his teammates have let him down, and there have been times where he has let his teammates down.

He has the potential but has yet to pull it all together consistently, especially in big moments. When I see him play like he did in the AZ game last year I have great hope. Then I see the Dallas game and.....

I have a hard time remembering anybody playing well that day. That was an epic collapse. I

blame the water boy. He obviously did something very wrong.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Was that the game he was sacked 6 times and hit 19 times? Hard to believe he didn't look good that day.

Goodness... that's embarrassing, really. Makes me glad we picked Robinson even more. Sheesh!!!

On a side note, Cowboys are stinkin' dead. I can see our Rams salvitating on the the field at kick off, now. No mercy!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I agree. My eye test has told me that Sam has played quite well at times, and he has been quite horrific at times. There has been times where his teammates have let him down, and there have been times where he has let his teammates down.

He has the potential but has yet to pull it all together consistently, especially in big moments. When I see him play like he did in the AZ game last year I have great hope. Then I see the Dallas game and.....

I don't have any problem with what you're saying here except that in the Dallas game, there wasn't one single element that I could point to and say it looked good. That game to me was the epitome of a total team collapse. It brings bile to my mouth just thinking about that game.

Sam has improvements to make - no doubt. I DO think however, in his case, the stats are non-representative. And I'm also tired of talking potential. I too want to see it manifest itself in a consistent manner on the field.
I can understand that you may have bad personal experiences.

We do not just read a resume to determine who to hire - there is a rigorous interview process to determine if the claims they make are true. The people doing the interviewing are much more experienced than the candidate - they will be little chance to successfully BS. I don't want to take the thread off topic, but we only hire experienced people - no "fresh out" college graduates. So the NFL is not a great analogy.

I was using the analogy to make a point - let's shower praise on Sam once he has accomplished what we think he can. If we were to ask him, I am sure he would want it that way as well.

Of course, you are free to do whatever you like, as am I.

I am a fan, not a cheerleader.

Yeah - I think Sam would be the first to say he's not satisfied with his own level of play.

I have a good friend that is a recruiter for PWC and yeah, they have a pretty rigorous process. But he has always said how much things can change once they meet the candidates. Anyway - no big point here except that even at that level, they still rely a lot on non-stat related decisions.

Here's to Sam passing the eye test AND the stat test - eh? :cheers:

Sorry it was only 16 hits (although that was half way through Q4 so could have been more)

Screen_Shot_2014_06_25_at_22_17_34.png

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I just have a bit of sour face for corporate methodology. Normally leaves a lot to be desired.
I'll see your sour face and raise you a quarter, which is what they're giving out for raises once a year these days to the people who used to be middle class.
Corporations don't think for themselves anymore. Hiring and overpaying analytic companies to tell them how better to do business. Do More with Less. Everything is done based upon the "industry standard" which basically means we'll look at what everyone else is doing, who's doing it at a lower cost...and we'll copy that formula. A trained monkey could give a behavioral interview(read question, observe answer and body language), and that same trained monkey can interview like a superstar by preparing for these cloned questions that everyone is asking nowadays.

Don't get me started. :mad:

Back to Bradford...:) He'll be very good this season as long as we can run the ball.

AZRamsFan93

I don't have any problem with what you're saying here except that in the Dallas game, there wasn't one single element that I could point to and say it looked good. That game to me was the epitome of a total team collapse. It brings bile to my mouth just thinking about that game.

Sam has improvements to make - no doubt. I DO think however, in his case, the stats are non-representative. And I'm also tired of talking potential. I too want to see it manifest itself in a consistent manner on the field.

Yeah - I think Sam would be the first to say he's not satisfied with his own level of play.

I have a good friend that is a recruiter for PWC and yeah, they have a pretty rigorous process. But he has always said how much things can change once they meet the candidates. Anyway - no big point here except that even at that level, they still rely a lot on non-stat related decisions.

Here's to Sam passing the eye test AND the stat test - eh? :cheers:

Cheers back at ya! I agree completely. Nothing would make me happier than to argue that Sam should be league MVP.

Seacone

45 year fan
Name
Seacone

I was not in favor of drafting Bradford. Not because I didn't like his potential. But because it rarely works out to draft a QB high in the first round. Even for guys with a lot of talent and potential, NFL QB is a developmental position. They have to be brought up properly by good teachers in a good environment. When a team drafts a QB No. 1 overall, we know they sucked the prior year and they need a QB. Often, and this was the case with the Rams, they were in that position because of problems in the front office, coaching staff and roster. So, you take a kid with no NFL experience, and very little quality around him, and put a lot of pressure on him to elevate the team. By the time the team is reconstructed around the young QB, his confidence and technique may already be ruined. In Bradford's case, he had no continuity with OC and offensive system, unstable O-line, thin at RB, poor receiver corp., etc. Then, his coaches mismanage his recovery from an in-season high ankle sprain. Etc., etc. This is just not a scenario likely to produce a good QB. Not surprisingly then, Bradford has had a rough ride his first few seasons. It is only now that a decent team is coalescing around him. I see it as a very good sign that he has performed well at times, has shown development, still believes in himself, and still has the confidence of his coaches and teammates. I'm optimistic about him. I believe he has the goods, and most NFL coaches apparently see that in him too. If he isn't able to climb out of the hole he got put into in St. Louis, it will not surprise me if he turns into a top flight QB for another team. I hope he does it for us, and we don't have to start all over at QB. If Bradford takes off, we can be a good team this season. If not, we'll have to keep waiting. I don't understand why any true Rams fan would root against him.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It is not a question of like or dislike. He seems like a nice guy, but I don't know him personally, so I have no opinion on whether I like him or not.

In my organization we practice a method during recruiting called behavioral interviewing. The basic premise is to not ask what people know or what they understand, but what have they actually done. Experience is more important than knowledge.

To date, Sam has a career 78 passer rating which includes a 59% completion percentage and a very low yards per attempt. It is demonstrable that he has yet to get it done on the field.

He was playing better last season before the injury, and the talent level on the team has improved, so I understand the optimism. He has a likable persona so fans want him to succeed, me included. He is our QB and if doesn't play well we are in trouble.

I am a realist, however, so I will get on board with the excitement and praise AFTER he has done it consistently on the field - especially in big moments in big games.

I hope this year he delivers on the field.

it's the nfl, teams are not interested in what you have done, they only care about what you can do for them.

the rams think sam can get the job done.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It's weird how 101ESPN phrases these videos they post.
Because that's not the way Bradford said it (as it reads in the title).

Yes, but when we look at the list of professions where accuracy isn't important journalism in this century is at or near the top. Bested perhaps only by politics.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
it's the nfl, teams are not interested in what you have done, they only care about what you can do for them.

the rams think sam can get the job done.

Somehow I wanna follow your avatar up some stairs. :cool:

fearsomefour

Legend
I can understand that you may have bad personal experiences.

We do not just read a resume to determine who to hire - there is a rigorous interview process to determine if the claims they make are true. The people doing the interviewing are much more experienced than the candidate - they will be little chance to successfully BS. I don't want to take the thread off topic, but we only hire experienced people - no "fresh out" college graduates. So the NFL is not a great analogy.

I was using the analogy to make a point - let's shower praise on Sam once he has accomplished what we think he can. If we were to ask him, I am sure he would want it that way as well.

Of course, you are free to do whatever you like, as am I.

I am a fan, not a cheerleader.
Yeah. I'm not a cheerleader either. Bradford has been a bit frustrating. In my opinion he is a slightly better than middle of the pack NFL starter to date. With major potential. Will that ever be realized? Who knows.
The most impressive thing to me so far about Bradford is his ability to avoid pics.
He could be entering into an ideal situation for a QB. A guy with the talent to carry a team who won't need to.
We all hope he succeeds....because there is no plan B.

AZRamsFan93

Yeah. I'm not a cheerleader either. Bradford has been a bit frustrating. In my opinion he is a slightly better than middle of the pack NFL starter to date. With major potential. Will that ever be realized? Who knows.
The most impressive thing to me so far about Bradford is his ability to avoid pics.
He could be entering into an ideal situation for a QB. A guy with the talent to carry a team who won't need to.
I am rooting for him to be a top tier QB, because I agree there is no plan B.

Seacone

45 year fan
Name
Seacone
Shaun Hill is a quality back up for a short term if necessary. But, I agree, there is currently no Plan B for the long term, unless Garrett Gilbert just blows everyone away in the pre-season. Not likely.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I am rooting for him to be a top tier QB, because I agree there is no plan B.
I am rooting for him to be top tier because he is our QB right here right now AND I see him as a very good QB.