Sam Bradford on Scrutiny “I know what I’m doing. Just be patient"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Reminds me of the sign on the back of my motorcycle helmet:

"Let go of my ears,I know what I'm doing"

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Sounds like a hard worker and that he believes in the process. He doesn't come off as being a self-centered pompous richard double bag type of guy. I know there are people that believe his personality is so abrasive it drove off Danny Amendola and Brandon Gibson, but I don't subscribe to that belief.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Heh, that's not bad. I like the shirt that says "If you can read this, the bitch fell off!"
If I had a shirt like that my wife would take a claw hammer to my bike,sweet as hell until..........................

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Its truly a put up, or shut up, kinda season

Nice to see him coming out swinging. Even if its just jabs right now

AZRamsFan93

I already told you the point. To illustrate how stats are calculated and how they can be adversely affected by things outside of the respective player's control. Same thing with Tavon. Don't you think he would like to have that TD back that was negated by Jake Long? Or the return TD negated by an illegal block? I think you're viewing this as an irrational defense of Bradford, but I'm not trying to insult your intelligence here. It's just a discussion.
That's fair, and no offense taken nor intended.

I understand the "only if" argument with regards to stats in a team game. It can be applied to all team games and all statistics. You can always look in hindsight to analyze why things happen (drops, penalties, injuries, missed assignments, etc...), and it can be useful, especially when faced with a small sample size - or as a coach when looking for opportunities for improvement in execution.

I do believe, however, that when faced with a large enough sample size stats are relevant to any analysis. I find it much more straightforward to use the league's widely accepted stats rather than try to generate my own to bolster my own beliefs.

To each his own. It is a discussion board after all.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Sam is growing as a player now that he has a coach who is standing behind him and his confidence shows it.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While this may be completely true, for it to have any relevance one would need to perform the same analysis for all quarterbacks, otherwise you are comparing apples to oranges.

I am not attacking people who want to have an optimistic view of our QB. It is your right. It is a free country.

I am just saying that I will heap praise on our QB after he delivers on the field. It is my right as well.

Given the high penalty rate on the Rams (hopefully a matter of inexperience) and the relatively high drop rate by Rams' receivers the last few years, it wouldn't shock me if Sam had lost significantly more YPA due to them than is typical for a QB. Those are two of the biggest things that have been bitched about for the offense, after all.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I do expect a lot out of Bradford this year. 3500 yards, 25-30 TDs, passer rating in the mid-90's.

Athos

Legend
The amount of crow that would have to be eaten over at Rams Talk would endanger the species. It could literally cause the extinction of the bird.

That old fart who shan't be named who made a living of his unrequited Bradford "love" will be eating the biggest helping. And I can't wait to make that thread shoving it in his cantankerous mouth. :sneaky:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The amount of crow that would have to be eaten over at Rams Talk would endanger the species. It could literally cause the extinction of the bird.
Good. Those damn things are annoying as hell.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
"We're gonna take that next step." Heck yeah, and have an additude about it. (I had to post again lol)

Sam looks stout as a brick, man. I remember seeing a game his rookie season, he kinda resemble a bean pole compared to what he is now.

I love the confidence / cockiness. It's coming through. That's great to see. I saw Sam at the Rams draft party and the dude is stacked. Built like a brick shithouse now. Everyone was commenting about it. I think he takes a big step forward this year. Pro bowl?

RamWoodie

Legend
I've never doubted Sam as a QB...and I can't call him a kid anymore either! The guy was really doing well when he went down on that "cheap shot" (YES...I still think that was a cheap shot that injured his ACL).

IT'S TIME...SAM IS "THE MAN"!

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
That's fair, and no offense taken nor intended.

I understand the "only if" argument with regards to stats in a team game. It can be applied to all team games and all statistics. You can always look in hindsight to analyze why things happen (drops, penalties, injuries, missed assignments, etc...), and it can be useful, especially when faced with a small sample size - or as a coach when looking for opportunities for improvement in execution.

I do believe, however, that when faced with a large enough sample size stats are relevant to any analysis. I find it much more straightforward to use the league's widely accepted stats rather than try to generate my own to bolster my own beliefs.

To each his own. It is a discussion board after all.

"There are lies, damned lies and statistics." - Mark Twain

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
@AZfan93 - I was in the hiring/firing game for years. While I can understand what you are saying, prospects can often pad their stats knowing that there is actually very little ability to verify fully. As well, you don't really have the ability to see if his team was propping him up or if he was leading his team. Did he have an assistant that was completely keeping him on task?

Stats may be your best tool in identifying performers but we have copious amounts of visual evidence of how a player is actually performing compared to those around him and his situations. We can visually see what has happened in key situations that meant either success or failure. In this respect, stats take more of a back seat to the eye test for many of us. So when you factor in the unusually high number of drops (compared to the rest of the NFL), the porous O-line, early lack of running game, total lack of experience at WR, etc... you can actually see it play out when watching the film.

I'm not saying he has lit it up. But if we only look at stats, you would have to conclude that any coach that would want Bradford leading their team would be nuts. And while many of the talking heads and fans think he sucks, every time I hear an actual coach or GM talk about him, they seem to think otherwise. Do you think that is because they are looking at his stat lines?

Anyway, I know you hope he totally turns it on this year as do most if not all of us here. Things are coming together as a team. Bradford is maturing. I think he's going to make us all happy he's here.

I think we all ought to keep in mind as well that QBs used to have a year or two to learn the game behind the vet. Now we are thrusting a bunch of these kids into being starters from day one. I also think that is why the running QB is even more of a commodity these days. Much like a running back, there is a play to be made with their legs. Does it mean they will good career as a QB? Some will. Many will not. I think Sam continues to build whereas most running QBs will fade. Just my opinion.

fearsomefour

Legend
I realize that this is an attempt at humor.

In fact, my organization is full of "A" players that can be counted upon to deliver in tough situations. Now hiring is a hit and miss game, and there will be a distribution of performance regardless of the process.

My whole point here was that I will recognize excellent performance because I have actually seen it, not because I know in my heart that it is coming soon.

All of the Missouri fans should understand. It is the "show me" state, right?
I just have a bit of sour face for corporate methodology. Normally leaves a lot to be desired.
There are always holes. It was an attempt at humor, but, if you are only measuring on what someone has done it limits the pool quite a bit.

AZRamsFan93

I just have a bit of sour face for corporate methodology. Normally leaves a lot to be desired.
There are always holes. It was an attempt at humor, but, if you are only measuring on what someone has done it limits the pool quite a bit.
I can understand that you may have bad personal experiences.

We do not just read a resume to determine who to hire - there is a rigorous interview process to determine if the claims they make are true. The people doing the interviewing are much more experienced than the candidate - they will be little chance to successfully BS. I don't want to take the thread off topic, but we only hire experienced people - no "fresh out" college graduates. So the NFL is not a great analogy.

I was using the analogy to make a point - let's shower praise on Sam once he has accomplished what we think he can. If we were to ask him, I am sure he would want it that way as well.

Of course, you are free to do whatever you like, as am I.

I am a fan, not a cheerleader.

AZRamsFan93

@AZfan93 - I was in the hiring/firing game for years. While I can understand what you are saying, prospects can often pad their stats knowing that there is actually very little ability to verify fully. As well, you don't really have the ability to see if his team was propping him up or if he was leading his team. Did he have an assistant that was completely keeping him on task?

Stats may be your best tool in identifying performers but we have copious amounts of visual evidence of how a player is actually performing compared to those around him and his situations. We can visually see what has happened in key situations that meant either success or failure. In this respect, stats take more of a back seat to the eye test for many of us. So when you factor in the unusually high number of drops (compared to the rest of the NFL), the porous O-line, early lack of running game, total lack of experience at WR, etc... you can actually see it play out when watching the film.

I'm not saying he has lit it up. But if we only look at stats, you would have to conclude that any coach that would want Bradford leading their team would be nuts. And while many of the talking heads and fans think he sucks, every time I hear an actual coach or GM talk about him, they seem to think otherwise. Do you think that is because they are looking at his stat lines?

Anyway, I know you hope he totally turns it on this year as do most if not all of us here. Things are coming together as a team. Bradford is maturing. I think he's going to make us all happy he's here.

I think we all ought to keep in mind as well that QBs used to have a year or two to learn the game behind the vet. Now we are thrusting a bunch of these kids into being starters from day one. I also think that is why the running QB is even more of a commodity these days. Much like a running back, there is a play to be made with their legs. Does it mean they will good career as a QB? Some will. Many will not. I think Sam continues to build whereas most running QBs will fade. Just my opinion.
I agree. My eye test has told me that Sam has played quite well at times, and he has been quite horrific at times. There has been times where his teammates have let him down, and there have been times where he has let his teammates down.

He has the potential but has yet to pull it all together consistently, especially in big moments. When I see him play like he did in the AZ game last year I have great hope. Then I see the Dallas game and.....

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I love the confidence / cockiness. It's coming through. That's great to see. I saw Sam at the Rams draft party and the dude is stacked. Built like a brick shithouse now. Everyone was commenting about it. I think he takes a big step forward this year. Pro bowl?

That's awesome! Sam is poised to light up the league this year.

Being the Pro Bowl is voted on by the fans, it's hard for me to imagine Sam getting more votes than Rogers or Breese, but I'd say he definately has a shot at beating out Wilson, Newton, Kap, Romo, Foles, or Cutler. He's gonna have to nearly play lights out to do it. I know this offense has full potential to do that.

Not to mention our defense should be giving our offense really good field position, consistently. I'd say we'll get a ton of turnovers and stop the opposing offenses well before the 50. That helps Sam's chances considerably. I also think Stacy is primed for a big year if he can stay healthy.