Saffold coming back soon? Why bother...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Ram Quixote said:
I find this thread a bit whiny. Why do we feel the need to complain about a player's fragility, when we should be hoping he comes back as strong as possible, for the teams' sake?

No doubt, Saffold's health problems are troubling, but if he's not giving up, neither am I.

IMO, some of the honesty/reality on the forum needs to take a gut check.

There comes a time when you have to realize that a player who is chronically injured is keeping his replacement from reps with the 1's. That's not whining, that's realism grim though it may be.
You can hope for yourself to be wrong , although I hate to say it, Roger goes down often enough people are tired of it.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I want Saffold back and am hoping for the best. We are better with him PERIOD

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Thordaddy said:
Ram Quixote said:
I find this thread a bit whiny. Why do we feel the need to complain about a player's fragility, when we should be hoping he comes back as strong as possible, for the teams' sake?

No doubt, Saffold's health problems are troubling, but if he's not giving up, neither am I.

There comes a time when you have to realize that a player who is chronically injured is keeping his replacement from reps with the 1's. That's not whining, that's realism grim though it may be.
You can hope for yourself to be wrong , although I hate to say it, Roger goes down often enough people are tired of it.
If you'll notice, on a different post, I agree with you.
FWIW, I agree Barksdale should be getting reps with the ones. Saffold is a liability. Even so, he's a better talent than Barksdale. If Saffold plays this week, I expect Boudreau to have Barksdale ready, much as he was ready against Atlanta.
My point was the tone of the thread.

Graphicker

Starter
Saffold reminds me of that football movie. Where the kid has a concussion count :lmao:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
DR RAM said:
I want Saffold back and am hoping for the best. We are better with him PERIOD

^ This.

I'm sick if his injury status like everyone else, but dude is a good player.

I hope Barrett Jones isn't forced to play as the year goes on. He would benefit from a year of coaching and conditioning.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Well looks like Saffold's replacement will deal with two speed rushers this week against Dallas. Barksdale will face Anthony Spencer 6-3 262 & George Selvie 6-4 270.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Ram Quixote said:

What's with this forum this week? This thread is ridiculous. Our starting RT is coming back earlier than we expected and people are unhappy about this? Are you kidding me? What's going on here?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Stranger said:
Are you kidding me? What's going on here?

What the hell is going on around here?

Vince-Lombardi.jpg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Stranger said:
Ram Quixote said:

What's with this forum this week? This thread is ridiculous. Our starting RT is coming back earlier than we expected and people are unhappy about this? Are you kidding me? What's going on here?

:idk:

Yeah - I dunno man. I get the concern but the guy is our starting RT for a reason. I saw the play where he was injured. Not sure anyone wouldn't have gone out after that. Have a guy that is your own weight fall on the side of your knee and see if you walk away from it.

Simply put, if Saffold is able to start, he gives us the best chance to keep Sam upright. I'm guessing Barksdale will get reps with the ones anyway.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:
Stranger said:
Are you kidding me? What's going on here?

What the hell is going on around here?

Vince-Lombardi.jpg
lol. I heard that in my head.

I think it's just frustration and nothing more. Everyone. And I mean EVERYONE - wants to see Saffold stay healthy and give our O-line the best possible fence for Bradford. But at the same time, there's gotta be a level of post traumatic stress disorder around here relative to how in shambles our O-line has been over the past half dozen years. It gets to you.

Maybe the "he's made of glass" remarks are a little harsh, but how else can you put it really? I don't think it's a matter of him being unlucky anymore. Unless he's a Friday the 13th while holding a black cat and stomping on a mirror under a ladder bad luck kinda guy.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
What's a little hyperbole among friends? That was just said to make a point. Take it easy everyone, we're just shooting the shit among friends. :ww:

…..

Legend
Ram Quixote said:

I agree!

Keep in mind we havent given up a sack with or without Saffold.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
Unless he's a Friday the 13th while holding a black cat and stomping on a mirror under a ladder bad luck kinda guy.

You been watching my home videos again? You left out my umbrella.

…..

Legend
BonifayRam said:
Well looks like Saffold's replacement will deal with two speed rushers this week against Dallas. Barksdale will face Anthony Spencer 6-3 262 & George Selvie 6-4 270.

and....are you frightened by this revelation about tha Dallas roster????? :roll:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Dog said:
BonifayRam said:

and....are you frightened by this revelation about tha Dallas roster????? :roll:

Well Dog :huhidk: I have no reason to be frightened should I ? Guess the point is our 6-4 330 pounder ORT will have the good & the bad from that revelation. Now Joe should have no issues pancaking their skinny posteriors on those run plays but he has had a bit of a problem keeping containment up with those skinny slippery persistent speeders from Sams body. Should be a good watch Sunday! :popcorn:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stranger said:
Ram Quixote said:

day by day, as more and more people join this site, it will head down the road of a place like ramstalk.

bitch about our second best tackle, bitch about our rookie wr who already has 2 tds, bitch about our hc who has us believing the rams can win every game they play, bitch about our dbs who are trying to find their feet with two rookie safeties out there.

i came here to get away from the incessant bitching.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
kurtfaulk said:
Stranger said:
Ram Quixote said:

day by day, as more and more people join this site, it will head down the road of a place like ramstalk.

bitch about our second best tackle, bitch about our rookie wr who already has 2 tds, bitch about our hc who has us believing the rams can win every game they play, bitch about our dbs who are trying to find their feet with two rookie safeties out there.

i came here to get away from the incessant bitching.

Yeah - I feel yuh man. I just think there are a lot of questions right now and some sorting out to do. I don't buy that we are heading down THAT road. I think Paulie would bring down the mass slayings ax in that case.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
kurtfaulk said:

It absolutely will not. I guarantee that 100%.

(here comes my obligatory overly long post now)

RamStalk is full of people who intentionally antagonize other posters with extremely hyperbolic posts. That's just not going to happen here. We encourage people to offer alternative POVs, and while that may offend the senses of people who don't want to see anything negative about this team, it's a necessary component to a successful message board. As long as people are able to communicate their concerns about a player or the team without making sweeping assessments about said player or team (as a whole), then I don't see what the problem is.

People should take that as an invitation to put together an intelligent counter debate, which will in turn sharpen their own debate skills, and increase their knowledge of the team and the game. I know that my initial reaction to posts that contain negative assessments about the team or its players is defensive, but that's just the way I elect to view the game. Like a kid. Others on here are more concerned with the Rams as an entity than any of its players, and that's why you'll see posts that hone in on what they deem is a weak component that keeps the entity from achieving excellence. These two factions will always clash, but it's important to remember that we all want the same thing in the end.

As long as everyone approaches their posts under the premise of "Would I be offended if someone spoke to me like this?", then I think we can avoid offending other people. I can't give any advice that would keep people from being offended, because that's just a personality trait individual to each person. In other words, nobody knows what offends someone else until it's communicated to the "offender."

You're in good hands here, kurt. All of us (staff) try to cultivate the best possible environment for the members here, and we make every effort to ensure that conversations are well within the guidelines of the established rules. And let me just add this. If I didn't ban the half dozen people I've already banned, this place would already BE like RamStalk. I'm very familiar with the "type", and you have my word that those people will never be a member of this board. Ever.

I think people just need to understand that what you say on any board can be very easily misconstrued. So just take that little extra time to make sure that what you're trying to communicate is done so in a manner that leaves little room for misinterpretation, and isn't overtly aggressive in nature. An easy method for me is to pretend that I'm talking about someone's kid. Because there are posters who are THAT protective of players. And that's fine by me. I can tell you your kid is a shitty shortstop without actually saying that. lol.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Oh, and let me also add this.

I've learned more about the game and this team when I've had to debate "haters" or "bashers", than I've ever learned as a player. I actually do physical research and will go to great lengths to THOROUGHLY debunk an argument that I know is bunk right from the get-go. As such, I've come to enjoy being a super homer for that very reason. I see a select few other posters doing the same thing, and reading those things also increases my knowledge. So if people are offended by criticism of a player or team, then take the time and put together a very detailed retort that encapsulates everything you think it will take to sway someone's opinion*.

*Disclaimer: Very rarely will someone change their opinion. It's just fun to try. :ww:

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
X said:
kurtfaulk said:

It absolutely will not. I guarantee that 100%.

(here comes my obligatory overly long post now)

RamStalk is full of people who intentionally antagonize other posters with extremely hyperbolic posts. That's just not going to happen here. We encourage people to offer alternative POVs, and while that may offend the senses of people who don't want to see anything negative about this team, it's a necessary component to a successful message board. As long as people are able to communicate their concerns about a player or the team without making sweeping assessments about said player or team (as a whole), then I don't see what the problem is.

People should take that as an invitation to put together an intelligent counter debate, which will in turn sharpen their own debate skills, and increase their knowledge of the team and the game. I know that my initial reaction to posts that contain negative assessments about the team or its players is defensive, but that's just the way I elect to view the game. Like a kid. Others on here are more concerned with the Rams as an entity that any of its players, and that's why you'll see posts that hone in on what they deem is a weak component that keeps the entity from achieving excellence. These two factions will always clash, but it's important to remember that we all want the same thing in the end.

As long as everyone approaches their posts under the premise of "Would I be offended if someone spoke to me like this?", then I think we can avoid offending other people. I can't give any advice that would keep people from being offended, because that's just a personality trait individual to each person. In other words, nobody knows what offends someone else until it's communicated to the "offender."

You're in good hands here, kurt. All of us (staff) try to cultivate the best possible environment for the members here, and we make every effort to ensure that conversations are well within the guidelines of the established rules. And let me just add this. If I didn't ban the half dozen people I've already banned, this place would already BE like RamStalk. I'm very familiar with the "type", and you have my word that those people will never be a member of this board. Ever.

I think people just need to understand that what you say on any board can be very easily misconstrued. So just take that little extra time to make sure that what you're trying to communicate is done so in a manner that leaves little room for misinterpretation, and isn't overtly aggressive in nature. An easy method for me is to pretend that I'm talking about someone's kid. Because there are posters who are THAT protective of players. And that's fine by me. I can tell you your kid is a crappy shortstop without actually saying that. lol.

X hit the nail on the head.

Just because people are being critical or offer an opinion that differs from yours, doesn't mean it's trolling or people are just being negative for the sake of being negative. Football discussion is football discussion be it somebody being a little upset at the team because they didn't do something the way he wanted, or critical on a player that hasn't been as hot as he expected. At the end of the day it feels like the guy just needs to vent and discuss football and at the end of the day he's still rooting for the Rams and still hating Seattle and San Fransisco like they slapped him mama. I just left the PD, we've got a long way to go before we're anything like that place. There it was just people at each other's throats, intentionally doing things to PO everybody else and generally just being jerks for the sake of being jerks.

So far I've seen we're all friends here, we're all Rams fans and we all want to see them succeed. With the trust of camaraderie comes the trust with every side of each other. I don't know about you guys, but the fact that you guys can let down your guard and just let it all hang out and still at the end of the day be willing to see each other is point in ROD's direction, not a detraction.

I hate the PD because it's overly negative, but I don't want to have to be overly positive either. I don't want to be something I'm not. I'm just human and I'm gonna get mad and I'm gonna question things and I'm gonna wonder why and I trust you guys to tell me that it's stupid as hell what you just said and I'll be like yeah I know.

And we'll all still be Rams brothers when it's all said and done.