Saffold coming back soon? Why bother...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Does it really matter if Saffold returns to the lineup this week or next week or whenever?

You can bet the house that when he does come back that he won't last the entire game anyway.

This guy is made of glass. It's actually comical to watch.

The only reason I would want Saffold back is because of depth. If I knew that the Rams would suffer no more injuries on the OL I would rather start Barksdale for the remaining 14 games.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
max said:
Does it really matter if Saffold returns to the lineup this week or next week or whenever?

You can bet the house that when he does come back that he won't last the entire game anyway.

The only reason I would want Saffold back is because of depth. If I knew that the Rams would suffer no more injuries on the OL I would rather start Barksdale for the remaining 14 games.
Yeah I agree , I'd rather the guy who's gonna finish the game -start it too.

Give Barksdale the 1st team reps and on continuity alone he should be an upgrade.

I'm sad for Roger, this is his contract year, I don't thin Belicek will decide to pay another injury prone Ram,in fact I doubt anyone does.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
I am amazed how NFL is a passing league now and yet many teams have no depth in the offensive line ranks.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
GreeneCounty said:
I am amazed how NFL is a passing league now and yet many teams have no depth in the offensive line ranks.

Getting big guys who are also quick enough to play OT in the NFL is rare. That's why they're paid so much, and drafted so high.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
Barksdale just need to be the starter since he drinks milk. I swear Saffold needs a shot of Vitamin d.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
I find this thread a bit whiny. Why do we feel the need to complain about a player's fragility, when we should be hoping he comes back as strong as possible, for the teams' sake?

No doubt, Saffold's health problems are troubling, but if he's not giving up, neither am I.

IMO, some of the honesty/reality on the forum needs to take a gut check.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Ram Quixote not understanding some of his fellow posters:
I find this thread a bit whiny. Why do we feel the need to complain about a player's fragility, when we should be hoping he comes back as strong as possible, for the teams' sake?

No doubt, Saffold's health problems are troubling, but if he's not giving up, neither am I.

I don't find this thread whiny at all. Of course we're all pulling for him to come back this year because we need him. That doesn't change the fact that many of us have come to the conclusion we can't count on him to stay healthy. He plays a hugely important position and eats up a lot of our CAP. We let Danny go for the same reason and how did that turn out?

Do you think we're blaming Saffold for his injuries?

We're not tilting at windmills here. This is a very important and legitimate concern IMO.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
albefree69 said:

I don't find this thread whiny at all. Of course we're all pulling for him to come back this year because we need him. That doesn't change the fact that many of us have come to the conclusion we can't count on him to stay healthy. He plays a hugely important position and eats up a lot of our CAP. We let Danny go for the same reason and how did that turn out?

We're not tilting at windmills here. This is a very important and legitimate concern IMO.

My initial reaction was that I was so hoping that Saffold would be able to get back into the lineup right away. Then I realized that outside of adding depth it doesn't really make much difference, Saffold can't last a whole game anyway.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
max said:

I completely agree 100%

fearsomefour

Legend
Thordaddy said:
max said:

Yeah I agree , I'd rather the guy who's gonna finish the game -start it too.

Give Barksdale the 1st team reps and on continuity alone he should be an upgrade.

I'm sad for Roger, this is his contract year, I don't thin Belicek will decide to pay another injury prone Ram,in fact I doubt anyone does.

He will for sure get paid because he can play LT well. Injury history or not someone will pay him....might not be the huge deal a top level guy will get but it will be more than the Rams are willing to pay.

Even if he comes back soon I would rotate Barksdale with the first team line in practice to give him those reps....Saffold is always a play from injury. Too bad, he is a good player.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
GreeneCounty said:
Me thinks that Snead/Fisher & Boudreau made an unusual decision when they elected to keep 10 Ol'ers on the master 53 player roster @ seasons beginning. Currently they have 12OL'ers under contract in Rams uniform.
#1-Scott Wells -Starting OC
#2-Chris Williams Starting OLG
#3-Jake Long-Starting OLT
#4-Harvey Dahl-Starting ORG
#5-Joe Barksdale- Starting OLT

#6-Tim Barnes-Top Interior Reserve
#7-Brandon Washington Top OT Reserve
#8-Barrett Jones OC/OG/ORT
#9-Shelley Smith OG
#10-Mike Persons OG/ORT
#11-Rodger Saffold ORT Injured/Out
#12-Sean Hooey ORT Practice Squad

Snead's 4th rd pick who many here in ROD ville have posted on him on the negative side may like me at times insert ones own foot into our oral cavity could be getting some strong strange looks from Snead-Fisher & Boudreau if Saffold's evaluation come back BAD.

Currently the soft green rookie 6-5 308 pounder Barrett Jones has been meandering around in la la land with no real pressure @ starting but just getting himself back in football shape after a 6 month waylay. One tends to forget around here & maybe we need to recall that Barrett Jones won the 2011 Outland Trophy (nation's top interior lineman) playing offensive Tackle. Snead & Fisher recalls Head coach Nick Saban saying many occasions that Jones is the top player he's ever been around & compared Barrett to the Hall of Famer Bruce Matthews who started @ all the OL positions in the NFL. Barrett has started 25 SEC games on the right side of the OL.

If Barksdale becomes our 2013 starter @ ORT I would not be surprised if Barrett finally begins his hard work @ fine tuning himself in @ ORT post reserve. Even when hurt late last yr he was on the field playing & winning for his team he has been truly durable!

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
albefree69 said:

This is what I hear in this thread: If Saffold can't stay healthy, what good is he? Sounds like blame to me. But this is what happens with all players who get placed in the injury-prone pigeon-hole.

Just calling it like I see it.

FWIW, I agree Barksdale should be getting reps with the ones. Saffold is a liability. Even so, he's a better talent than Barksdale. If Saffold plays this week, I expect Boudreau to have Barksdale ready, much as he was ready against Atlanta.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
max said:

I want him back as soon as he can. There is a very noticeable drop off to Barksdale. Drop Off to the point of having to keep a TE in for help which degrades the whole offense.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
BonifayRam said:
GreeneCounty said:
Me thinks that Snead/Fisher & Boudreau made an unusual decision when they elected to keep 10 Ol'ers on the master 53 player roster @ seasons beginning. Currently they have 12OL'ers under contract in Rams uniform.
#1-Scott Wells -Starting OC
#2-Chris Williams Starting OLG
#3-Jake Long-Starting OLT
#4-Harvey Dahl-Starting ORG
#5-Joe Barksdale- Starting OLT

#6-Tim Barnes-Top Interior Reserve
#7-Brandon Washington Top OT Reserve
#8-Barrett Jones OC/OG/ORT
#9-Shelley Smith OG
#10-Mike Persons OG/ORT
#11-Rodger Saffold ORT Injured/Out
#12-Sean Hooey ORT Practice Squad

Snead's 4th rd pick who many here in ROD ville have posted on him on the negative side may like me at times insert ones own foot into our oral cavity could be getting some strong strange looks from Snead-Fisher & Boudreau if Saffold's evaluation come back BAD.

Currently the soft green rookie 6-5 308 pounder Barrett Jones has been meandering around in la la land with no real pressure @ starting but just getting himself back in football shape after a 6 month waylay. One tends to forget around here & maybe we need to recall that Barrett Jones won the 2011 Outland Trophy (nation's top interior lineman) playing offensive Tackle. Snead & Fisher recalls Head coach Nick Saban saying many occasions that Jones is the top player he's ever been around & compared Barrett to the Hall of Famer Bruce Matthews who started @ all the OL positions in the NFL. Barrett has started 25 SEC games on the right side of the OL.

If Barksdale becomes our 2013 starter @ ORT I would not be surprised if Barrett finally begins his hard work @ fine tuning himself in @ ORT post reserve. Even when hurt late last yr he was on the field playing & winning for his team he has been truly durable!

While I would trust Bradfords health to Jones over Washington anyday (Jones is smart enough to tackle the guy if gets beat) I don't think Jones has the feet to play T in the NFL long term. Yeah,he could get in better shape and get his technique down pat, but speedy rush backers will eat his lunch all day. Just my opinion.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Ram Quixote said:
albefree69 said:

This is what I hear in this thread: If Saffold can't stay healthy, what good is he? Sounds like blame to me. But this is what happens with all players who get placed in the injury-prone pigeon-hole.

FWIW, I agree Barksdale should be getting reps with the ones. Saffold is a liability. Even so, he's a better talent than Barksdale. If Saffold plays this week, I expect Boudreau to have Barksdale ready, much as he was ready against Atlanta.

Guess this is how I think on this Saffold injury ...first off he is every bit as talented as Jake Long is when healthy. No way you bench Saffold period unless he is in a weaken state due to this re occurring knee injury. Saffold is vital to keep this offense working effectively. Barksdale is a mark-ably less effective performer in the pass blocking area of his game. When Barksdale is starting Sam will be more at risk.

I want Saffold starting over Barksdale if he is able & it would not hurt him in his future. I still want Saffold on this team badly in the future too... but that's another story for another post. Snead & Fisher are fully aware of Saffold ongoing injury sage & gambled some (by bypassing most all 2013 top OT prospects in the draft)...like many other NFL top org'rs that he would make it mostly injury free...not happening...Rams have kept a very large unusual amount of OL'ers on the master roster that should be able to keep us a float thru a missing out of action injured Saffold.

Ram Orgs have padded themselves very well without a major cap hit like they paid 3.5 mil for Wayne Hunter last yr. They have a cheap priced Barksdale, moderate priced Williams, & Dahl with numerous past NFL starts @ OT on the roster. They also have two OL'ers who have played Right OT in NFL pre seasons games ..Brandon Washington & now Mike Persons. Finally invested & drafted a former starting Offensive Tackle who won the Outland Trophy in 2011 who got this prized award while playing Left OT on the NCAA Championship team he is the 6-5 308 pound Barrett Jones. Barrett played against some of the best speed rushers in NCAA.

As far as his feet being below average for most OT's you could be right however like I said above the proof that he did play LEFT OT & played very well for Bama speaks volumes to me. While I do not feel comfortable with Barksdale abilities to ward off speeders crashing in on Sam's right side ....I have watched Barrett for years down here smothered in Bama territory & I have no such concerns that IF Barrett was given the ORT post assignment ....he would met it & win most of all those battles.... maybe not by his feet alone but by other elements he has displayed for such a long time in college. Anyway I am so glad that Snead made that call to have Barrett Jones here as a Ram.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
max said:

I'm going to side with RQ on this one and mainly for the bolded lines. I also agree with the points made by Boni. Should we COUNT on Saffold lasting the season? Of course not. But the dude is a Ram and I'm sure he would love to be playing and never have to talk to a trainer during the game. Fact is that he gives us the best chance to win of the available players at his position. Get Barksdale, Jones, whomever tuned up and ready to play but if Saffold is available to take snaps, he's our guy and watching him or ANY Ram go down is never comical IMO.

Maybe I lack a sense of humor when it comes to this. So be it.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Ram Quixote said:
albefree69 said:

I think more people would be behind you if not for Saffold's etiquette before the season. It's one thing not to be able to stay upright in the NFL, it sucks to have talent and have it squandered on a body that just can't keep up.

It's another thing to throw up a stink over of your position then not being able to last through more than 2 preseason games.

He brought a lot of scrutiny onto his head when it came out that he was fussy about Long.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
HometownBoy said:
Ram Quixote said:
albefree69 said:

I think more people would be behind you if not for Saffold's etiquette before the season. It's one thing not to be able to stay upright in the NFL, it sucks to have talent and have it squandered on a body that just can't keep up.

It's another thing to throw up a stink over of your position then not being able to last through more than 2 preseason games.

He brought a lot of scrutiny onto his head when it came out that he was fussy about Long.

Yeah - maybe. But I still think the main stink was being caused by his agent who saw his paycheck potentially dwindle because now he had a RT for a client instead of a LT. I would actually think less of Rog if he was just fine with someone coming in and being handed his spot.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
RamFan503 said:
Yeah - maybe. But I still think the main stink was being caused by his agent who saw his paycheck potentially dwindle because now he had a RT for a client instead of a LT. I would actually think less of Rog if he was just fine with someone coming in and being handed his spot.

These recent injuries sure will affect the value of Saffold future contract that's just around the corner for-sure yes his agent saw $$$ go out the window with the first preseason game shoulder dislocation then more $$$ flew out again when Saffold re injured that same knee that he injured last year in the first regular season game. Then on top of all that how much more went out the window with this more severe injured knee now? Bet his agent is :=:)

I see good news from Ian Rapoport has trickled down about the Saffold injury where it is not bad enough for any needed surgery but like last years knee injury its being called a strained MCL.

<a class="postlink" href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/379990253890592768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/379990253890592768</a>

In 2012 in game two Saffold suffered the same type injury to the same knee. Last yr the Rams had Wayne Hunter available to hold down the OLT post well enough. In 2012 Saffold was not able to return until wk 11. Hopefully this strain is not as severe it does not sound as bad as last yrs.

Rams are not the only team haveing injury issues at OT. I see where the Denver Post reports Broncos LT Ryan Clady (foot) may need season-ending surgery. They say he is headed for the IR. Then there's Seahawks LT Russell Okung has been diagnosed with a partially torn plantar plate in his toe and is not expected to play in Week 3 versus Jacksonville. This type of injury could keep him out for over a month! Raiders lost starting OLT Menelik Watson is also out for the next month. NYG have been in trouble since they lost there starting OT David Diel. Lions starting OT Jason Fox & Starting Panthers OT Garry Williams are out too.