Running thread on garbage officiating

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
The refs did call the personal foul on Seattle when it appeared to me, on the other side of field out of the corner of my eye, that the Seattle guy stomped our guy. I thought it was going to be an ejection but maybe it wasn't that bad?

Anybody remember what I'm talking about?
Was it when Tavon got kicked in the head, after the play?

tomlib

Sword and Sorcery with a Libertarian Edge
Name
Tom
Was it when Tavon got kicked in the head, after the play?
I believe that was the play, yes. From my, admittedly awful viewing point, it looked like they tackler got up and sort of stomped Tavon.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I believe that was the play, yes. From my, admittedly awful viewing point, it looked like they tackler got up and sort of stomped Tavon.
Yeah, looked like a penalty to me.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yeah, they did call that because he kicked him with his heel. It was purposeful and it will cost him money from the league.

My Open Letter to the League is seeming to be freaking prophetic now that football is being played and I'm "just a guy" when it comes to this stuff.

Wish someone at the NFL's office would read it...

#fulltimeNFLrefs

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
On the on side kick----Head ref was trying to make something up for a rekick. Total BS/made up explaination---thank God the rest of the crew turned on him.
I swore at that time that, that ref was a seacock fan. Really, no other plausible explanation.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
"garbage" is far too kind of a word to describe the officiating during that game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The one that made me the angriest was after the Rams converted the long third down only to have the league "review" it and give the Shehawks defense a nice rest. I was worked up because it wasn't anywhere near close enough that they had to do that.

IMO the league needs to consider the impact of that stuff on pace of the game and the advantage it gives defenses in interrupting flow of the game and rest for the defenders.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The one that made me the angriest was after the Rams converted the long third down only to have the league "review" it and give the Shehawks defense a nice rest. I was worked up because it wasn't anywhere near close enough that they had to do that.

IMO the league needs to consider the impact of that stuff on pace of the game and the advantage it gives defenses in interrupting flow of the game and rest for the defenders.

I thought that was fair enough. They wanted to check if his knee was down and it was close.

The onside kick though. Dead set that was ridiculous.

bskrilla

Starter
My biggest issue was that the Refs somehow notice on the fly that Marquez signaled a fair catch on the kick-off, and even attempt to call a penalty based on the fact that he signalled a fair-catch, but then COMPLETELY ignore the fact that after calling for a legal fair-catch he gets mauled by 3 Seahawks........................Wut.... How is that even possible?!?! You saw the fair-catch, you decided it was legit, but you ignore him being hit by 3+ defenders........Ok

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Can you really call a fair catch on an onside kick? I don't think that makes any sense. I didn't even think it looked like a fair catch signal.

I may be reaching here but the NFL has tried to clean up the ref crud a bit this offseason. Maybe, Triplett was playing by his normal corrupt rules and figured like in the past his crew would go along. Maybe because of offseason training they grew some balls and are now not afraid to questions his calls?

I thought Shermans first uncalled interference was blatant. That should have put the Rams at the goal line.

bskrilla

Starter
Can you really call a fair catch on an onside kick? I don't think that makes any sense. I didn't even think it looked like a fair catch signal.

I may be reaching here but the NFL has tried to clean up the ref crud a bit this offseason. Maybe, Triplett was playing by his normal corrupt rules and figured like in the past his crew would go along. Maybe because of offseason training they grew some balls and are now not afraid to questions his calls?

I thought Shermans first uncalled interference was blatant. That should have put the Rams at the goal line.
I believe you're allowed to call a fiar catch on ANY kick as long as it doesn't hit the ground(hence the potential controversy)

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Wasn't a call buy did you notice tripplet didn't even seem to recall the ot rules?

I don't understand why they explain them anyway, I'm a professional being payed $ms and yet I the need rules of my job explained to me? :confused:

On the other hand it gave us ample time to discuss the next play without the usual rush.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I've never seen it in my life but triplett brought it up so he should have followed through with it once his ruse was called out by his crew.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I believe you're allowed to call a fiar catch on ANY kick as long as it doesn't hit the ground(hence the potential controversy)

Correct. But since it was a fair catch and he was hit after catching it, it should have been a 15 yard penalty. I love how they forgot that part of it.

FRO

Legend
The roughing the passer made me angriest. It was clearly shoulder to shoulder. That bullcrap has to stop. You should be allowed to challenge penalties. While that drive led to a brilliant INT, a third down stop was wiped away by terrible officiating.

Now on to the Giants/Cowboys game, DRC was called for a pass interference where there was none. I believe it was a third down pass and the PI put them on the 2 allowing them to score an easy TD. Then on third and goal from the one the Giants receiver gets held throughout his entire route and no call. Officiating has been so terrible across the league for so long.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can't remember but, after one of the bad calls (I believe it was the Quinn hit), seemed the refs made some "pro Rams" calls that a Seattle fan might take issue with (rightfully).

Point is... bad calls cut both ways... they just do.

I wonder if this thread is going to document any calls that go the Rams way?

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Anyone hear there was a flag on the Austin PR TD and immediately start to lose it before the penalty was announced? Just me haha?

We we're joking that EVERY time there is a flag we just assume it's on us.
For once, only 4 penalties.

RamzFanz

Damnit
On the on side kick----Head ref was trying to make something up for a rekick. Total BS/made up explaination---thank God the rest of the crew turned on him.

All alone, easy to see, head twisted back, and no call. BS!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Correct. But since it was a fair catch and he was hit after catching it, it should have been a 15 yard penalty. I love how they forgot that part of it.

And I kept asking that too, WTH???? Anyway as a Ram fan I'm just glad they reversed it after saying the ball hit the ground!

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
We we're joking that EVERY time there is a flag we just assume it's on us.
For once, only 4 penalties.
yeah, but the penalties or no penalties (on them) were total game changers.

- The Quinn no-roughing-the-passer give the Seachickens a 1st down and lead to a long time consuming drive
- The no-false-starts on Okung allowed at least 1TD for Seattle that should have been called back
- the no-PI on Sherman would have given the Rams the ball on the 1yrd line. Luckily, we scored anyway.
- The no-illegal-contact on a fair catch (in OT) would have given the rams the ball on the Seachicken's 34yrd line.

If the refs were just plain bad, then these bad calls would go against both teams. But what bad calls or no calls did the Seachicken suffer from?

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Prime Time For some reason I can't edit my OP. But I can edit this one?

So here it is again, reposted with new additions. Also, I've color coded those that should have been called but weren't in red.

Week 1:

Non-PI call on Dick Sherman against Tavon Austin
Roughing the passer on Robert Quinn
Main ref attempting to enforce a re-kick; had to be told by his own damn team there was nothing happening
Calling a fair catch on a kick off is legal, and the caller is protected. Multiple shitchickens slammed into Bradley Marquez, no call
Multiple false starts on Russell Okung not called
Nick Foles taking multiple shots and being driven to the ground, not called for roughing
Nick Foles had a blatant face mask on TD run, had his head twisted, not call for facemask

We'll do this after every week, no matter the outcome of the games.

You guys will have to help out, tho. I won't be fortunate enough to see every game.