Running thread on garbage officiating

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ms-not-to-criticize-officials-or-other-teams/

NFL reminds teams not to criticize officials or other teams
Posted by Mike Florio on September 25, 2015

gettyimages-489392134-300x200-e1443183823853.jpg
Getty Images

When it comes to potential violations of the rules, the NFL has traded million-dollar investigations for memos.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the league has sent a two-page memo to all teams reminding them that league policy prohibits public criticism of officiating or opponents’ tactics.

“We ask that you contact a member of the Football Operations department,” the memo states, “rather than making a public comment that may draw significant and unwanted public scrutiny. Such prohibited public statement may include specific statements about opposing coaches, players or the organization as a whole. . . . Innuendos and indirect statements will also be considered prohibited under the policy.”

The memo specifically points out that teams should not share information provided by V.P. of officiating Dean Blandino regarding officiating decisions made during games.

“Violations of this policy will result in prompt disciplinary action by the League office, which may include fines of the club and/or individual who make such public comments,” the memo states. “Egregious and inflammatory comments could result in the suspension of the individual(s) making the comment.”

It’s unclear whether any discipline has been taken against those who have clearly violated this policy since the regular season began. Two weeks ago, coach Mike Tomlin and the Steelers’ official website suggested that the Patriots had deliberately interfered with the coach-to-coach communication system. Likewise, multiple coaches (including Rams coach Jeff Fisher, Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, and Vikings coach Mike Zimmer) have criticized officiating and/or disclosed information provided by Blandino regarding officiating decisions made during games.

So instead of making a big deal about these things, the NFL has opted to handle the situation discreetly. It’ll be interesting to see what happens if the comments continue.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bump....
I work weekends and have only seen the high/low-lights.

Any bogus calls to watch closely before I watch this crappy DVR?
Gotta be a couple "questionable" calls at the worst possible time, or it wouldn't be a Rams game.
Ed Hochuli = already down by a score...

Nothing too egregious. Going up against a Callahan OL, you know they're going to get away with a ton of holding. Although, on one of their long runs...might have been the Jones TD run, Jordan Reed was bear-hugging Ogletree which allowed Jones to get to the corner. Pretty blatant. Not even trying to hide it.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Man, if anything makes me question the legitimacy of the nfl, it's their policy of "keep your mouth shut" when it comes to bad officiating.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't think anything was that bad yesterday that I can recall. Maybe the flags in the redzone early on Ram DBs were bush league. I've seen much worse go.

FYI, the Kenny Britt 4th down catch I'm not counting, b/c it was a review mistake (should be inconclusive at the very least), not a penalty.

The real problems were in the Broncos/Lions game.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Don't think anything was that bad yesterday that I can recall. Maybe the flags in the redzone early on Ram DBs were bush league. I've seen much worse go.

FYI, the Kenny Britt 4th down catch I'm not counting, b/c it was a review mistake (should be inconclusive at the very least), not a penalty.

The real problems were in the Broncos/Lions game.

If you have NFL rewind by chance, watch about 3:34 of the 3rd quarter. Tre Mason had just finished a nice 10 yard run which gave us a huge first down in Steeler territory. Then comes the holding on GR.
Well- Watch the play, the DE comes quick around the corner and low. All GROB does is block his angle and pancake to the ground. It's a bang bang play. No holding, nothing.
I have no idea what the official saw. From what I looked at the defenders angle caused the entire play.

It killed a drive yet again.

Angry Ram

If you have NFL rewind by chance, watch about 3:34 of the 3rd quarter. Tre Mason had just finished a nice 10 yard run which gave us a huge first down in Steeler territory. Then comes the holding on GR.
Well- Watch the play, the DE comes quick around the corner and low. All GROB does is block his angle and pancake to the ground. It's a bang bang play. No holding, nothing.
I have no idea what the official saw. From what I looked at the defenders angle caused the entire play.

It killed a drive yet again.

Oh yeah, thanks for bringing that one up.

Sometimes you just roll your eyes and say, "of course there's a flag."

Angry Ram

Well, win or lose this thread must keep going on.

I know there were many more flags that were bs or noncalls that should've been made. The one that stands out to me tho wast he PI on Janoris Jenkins. I've seen much worse not called.

And yes, I know about Arizona's fumble recoveries. The point of the thread is to point all garbage officiating.

Angry Ram

Some terrible officiating this week. Especially in the Bears/Lions game.

And what does the NFL do? Suspends a side judge LOL.

Stel

Starter
I've only been half heartedly watching pieces of games. Saw Rodgers get a no call on an intentional grounding in the Green Bay game. About 99% sure Foles would have drawn a flag. Rodgers and Brady, maybe Manning, are the only ones who likely get a pass on that one.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Some terrible officiating this week. Especially in the Bears/Lions game.

And what does the NFL do? Suspends a side judge LOL.

I saw the flag on Chicago for roughing the passer (at Stafford's legs) prior to OT. That was a tough one, but I sort of understand why they threw it

He might not have intended to hit him low like that, but it was bang bang.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
The call of O pass interference om Megatron was bogus in the Lions Bears game for sure! Safety has hand fighting with him abd the ball went elsewhere for a td! Poor officiating on that one!

Angry Ram

Refs seem to be influencing the cheaters/Colts game.

Let them freaking play. It's turning out I'm looking for flags after every play in every game now. Not just the Rams.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

the pass interference calls have been bad since i can remember. i started watching the nfl around 1990. so 25 years later it's still the same.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

that holding call on tru when it was 2nd and 16 on the vikings goalline made me want to karate kick the tv straight to the head of the bozo announcing the penalty.

that was such a bullshit call.

iced

no doubt refs were bad today - how many times did they make a bad call, announce it, then pick it up? looked like such a rookie crew out there

Todd59

Rookie
The intentional grounding by Foles was ridiculous. The pass basically fell at the feet of both Harkey and Cunningham.

Angry Ram

I don't care how out played the Rams were in the 2nd half.

I'm not blaming refs on the loss, but boy did they ever have an influence. I think, that bullshit roughing call in the 1st half really swayed the direction of this game. Kept Chicago's drive alive.

Then bogus non holding calls on Greg Robinson.

Non calls on the Bears when Nick Foles get hit late, holding on Ram DL-men, etc etc.

I STILL CAN'T FUCKING BELIEVE the league TOLD THE REFS TO WATCH THE RAMS!!!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The fix was in. I'll lose any respect left (which isn't much) if Fisher doesn't make a big stink to the league and media. I wouldn't be shocked if Tripleshit bet money on Chicago. That was a fixed game.