Running thread on garbage officiating

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
This officiating AGAINST the Rams is starting to really burn me up.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Yeah, there's I think a twenty minute time limit for members to edit a post. I changed it for you. Let me know if it's okay.

Forty-five minutes, actually. I know; I've tried it myself.

dhaab

Rookie
I wonder if this thread is going to document any calls that go the Rams way?

Roberson was pushing the Seahawk receiver in the end zone far before the pass got there. That was a blatant pass interference that they got away with. Having said that, the Rams have been on the wrong end of those kinds of calls for SO long that they deserve to have a few go their way.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
yeah, but the penalties or no penalties (on them) were total game changers.

- The Quinn no-roughing-the-passer give the Seachickens a 1st down and lead to a long time consuming drive
- The no-false-starts on Okung allowed at least 1TD for Seattle that should have been called back
- the no-PI on Sherman would have given the Rams the ball on the 1yrd line. Luckily, we scored anyway.
- The no-illegal-contact on a fair catch (in OT) would have given the rams the ball on the Seachicken's 34yrd line.

If the refs were just plain bad, then these bad calls would go against both teams. But what bad calls or no calls did the Seachicken suffer from?

It's hard to say which penalties affect the outcome of a game. We usually suffer from them, that's for sure. I would say in this game the only reason it was close was because of the turnovers. It never should of been as close as it was.
I think the only reason the PI wasn't called against Sherman was because when the ball actually hit Austin it would of been out of bounds so it could be they deemed it wasn't catchable and just didn't call it. The sad part was if Foles throws it a second earlier it's probably a TD.
The no-illegal contact on the onside kick was a joke from the get go. The officials didn't know what they were doing. And to be a little fair the signal was so quick and while he was falling down it would be hard to call anything. I'm not sure if you can call it after the fact or not? The Quinn roughing was just BS, period. These officials are trained to protect the QB's beyond anything realistic.

I'm just glad it wasn't one sided against us for a change.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, there's I think a twenty minute time limit for members to edit a post. I changed it for you. Let me know if it's okay.

Thanks. I still can't edit my OP tho. I posted this thread at about 4 pm yesterday, but when I tried doing it last night (and today), it just says "report" and "bookmark" under tools.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Thanks. I still can't edit my OP tho. I posted this thread at about 4 pm yesterday, but when I tried doing it last night (and today), it just says "report" and "bookmark" under tools.

As Memento and I mentioned earlier, there's a set time limit for a member to edit a post. Whether or not it's an OP makes no difference. Only a mod or an admin can do that.

Angry Ram

As Memento and I mentioned earlier, there's a set time limit for a member to edit a post. Whether or not it's an OP makes no difference. Only a mod or an admin can do that.

Oh sorry guys I thought you had to wait 20 mins before editing. Not 20 until you can't edit anymore. Learned something new today.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...tocol-to-correct-ref-on-seahawks-onside-kick/

Replay assistant may have violated protocol to correct ref on Seahawks onside kick
Posted by Michael David Smith on September 16, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptm0mzc1otzknjhlngzknmyznduzzmy4mtu4oge5ogvl.jpeg
AP

The most crucial officiating decision of Week One in the NFL may have come in St. Louis, where referee Jeff Triplette at first wrongly ruled that the Rams had used an invalid fair catch signal on the Seahawks’ onside kick in overtime.

After a consultation, Triplette corrected himself, ruling that the Rams’ recovery of the onside kick had been legal. The Rams benefited from their good field position from recovering the onside kick, and won the game in overtime.

But a question remains: Why did Triplette get the call wrong in the first place, and what information did he use to correct himself?

According to former head of NFL officiating Mike Pereira, the most likely explanation is that the replay assistant — in violation of league protocols — contacted Triplette to tell him that the Seahawks’ onside kick had not bounced off the ground, as Triplette originally believed.

“I’m going to tell you something. Jeff Triplette and his crew, how did they arrive at this? How did they get from the ball being kicked into the ground, which they didn’t expect, to have it not being kicked into the ground? You know those communication systems that you see officials wearing now? He’s got the microphone on and the headset? Things have become so complicated,” Pereira said on FOX Sports Radio, via ESPN.

They’re not going to admit this, but somebody got into Jeff Triplette’s ear from the press box and said, ‘Jeff, that ball wasn’t kicked into the ground.’ Then he changed it based on that information. That information is coming from the replay official who sees the play, even though it’s not reviewable. And colleges are doing the same thing now.

You don’t just have the seven people on the field. You have an eighth person in the NFL when you count the replay guy or even New York looking in and watching from New York with communication to the stadium. . . . So it’s become so much more complicated that this communication system is being used to get things right, which I’m actually OK with.”

If the replay assistant contacted Triplette to tell him he got it wrong, then the replay assistant was overstepping his bounds. That particular penalty is not reviewable, and even if it were reviewable, the replay assistant’s job would only be to help the referee review the play, not to correct the referee.

But even a die-hard Seahawks fan would have to grudgingly admit that getting the call right should be more important than following the protocols to the letter. And in this case, they got the call right. If the replay assistant helped to get a crucial call right, that’s a good thing.

Which raises a question: Why do the NFL’s administrative protocols prevent the replay assistant from helping the referee get calls right? It’s one thing to limit replay reviews to avoid unnecessarily delaying the game, but in this case the game was being delayed because the officials were conferring about the call anyway. As long as the officials are having a conference on the field, why shouldn’t the replay assistant tell the referee what he saw?

The ultimate goal should be getting the call right. If the replay assistant helped the referee get the call right in St. Louis, then the NFL should thank him — and change the rules so that replay assistants can continue to help referees going forward.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
It feels good to win a game that the refs tried to take from us.Last year they gifted Dallas the game with some b.s. calls and they tried that today.Maybe after a few wins they will no longer screw us but give us a few calls down the road.
I like this idea, BUT I wouldn't bet on it!
( And I've been known to bet on almost anything!:LOL:)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
But a question remains: Why did Triplette get the call wrong in the first place, and what information did he use to correct himself?
Could it be because it was "Flashed on the Score Board for the world to see!"

Reno Ram

UDFA
Bump....
I work weekends and have only seen the high/low-lights.

Any bogus calls to watch closely before I watch this shitty DVR?
Gotta be a couple "questionable" calls at the worst possible time, or it wouldn't be a Rams game.
Ed Hochuli = already down by a score...

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
how about taking out Donald at his knees repeatedly or jumping on his back.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Unequal enforcement of taunting. Repeated uncalled holding. On one big 3rd down, Donald got tackled, and then piled on. Yeah, nobody really cares this game. It's not how, or why we lost. We just lost very badly. On to next weeks game, and getting better as a team, and a staff.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I suppose that until the team gets to the playoffs, they'll continue to be picked on by the refs. It's a shame the refs are as incompetent as they are! Or maybe as homer as they are?

Angry Ram

No, this has to go on every week no matter the game's result or how the Rams played. Only then can we get a decent gauge on how bad these refs are.

I've been out of town the past week for a family wedding, so for this Washington game I need you guys to help me out.