ROD Pick 19 Poll (Pre-Combine Edition)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

At pick No. 19, the Rams select:

• Laita Latu, EDGE, UCLA

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Cooper DeJean, CB, Iowa

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • Nate Wiggins, CB, Clemson

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Jared Verse, EDGE, FSU

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Troy Fautanu, OT, Washington

• Jackson Powers-Johnson, IOL, Oregon

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • J.J. McCarthy, QB, Michigan

• Someone else (specify below)

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Trade (up or down)

Votes: 13 16.3%

• Total voters

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Selassie's point is valid to some extent. There is certainly room to say "we're not gonna risk an outlier here" and consider him a safety, which might remove him from consideration at 19. Acting like it's taboo is not productive, that's for damn sure. It's real. And when the statistics speak that loudly there is room for interpretation that may include that a white corner comes with added risk which some teams choose to avoid. Also teams will never admit that because they'd get roasted by our politically correct society but it doesn't change that some might be influenced by it.

Just like it's also valid to say removing a talented player from consideration is only hurting your draft board. I'm more on this side but I don't think he's out in the woods or digging a hole on this. It's just an opinion and he may end up being correct.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I settled on...

Jared Verse, EDGE, FSU​

He would instantly upgrade the front 7 and be a Yang to Bryon Young`s Yin, and by extension make the secondary better.

We would also get to stop hearing all the complaining about the OLB position. That said, Bryon Young needs to continue to develop into a complete player as he had near zero responsibility in the defense last year other than flying off the edge.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyXbUzP-Or8

IF Verse is off the board, I would not take the UCLA kid because of his injury history and lack of consistent productivity. So in that case, I would go one of the top 4-5 CBs or OL.

We really can`t lose in this draft if we don`t reach.

If McCarthy is considered good than he doesn`t last to 19.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Selassie's point is valid to some extent. There is certainly room to say "we're not gonna risk an outlier here" and consider him a safety, which might remove him from consideration at 19. Acting like it's taboo is not productive, that's for damn sure. It's real. And when the statistics speak that loudly there is room for interpretation that may include that a white corner comes with added risk which some teams choose to avoid. Also teams will never admit that because they'd get roasted by our politically correct society but it doesn't change that some might be influenced by it.

Just like it's also valid to say removing a talented player from consideration is only hurting your draft board. I'm more on this side but I don't think he's out in the woods or digging a hole on this. It's just an opinion and he may end up being correct.
It will be interesting to see how this issue is impacted by the Combine. If DeJean tests extremely well (sub-4.4 forty, top shuttle times, vertical), I’d hope his race would become a non-issue, even if he is deemed an outlier.

Bottom line…beware of generalizations.

White RBs…CMC.
WRs w/slow 40 times…Kupp.
Undersized DTs…Donald.

Sometimes, finding the outliers can make a HUGE difference.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think there is a 90% chance we trade down. We are in the perfect spot to get two day three picks with the trade down, and while all Rams fans will be excited Thursday night, I predict we will not be picking.

If we do draft someone - Quinyon Mitchell is who I think the pick will be. His combination of production and traits, with his performance at the senior bowl, would make him a no brainer if he's there and we don't have a trade offer that we like IMO.

Londoner

Twitchy newcomer
We are in the perfect spot to get two day three picks
I assume you mean day two picks?

Personally, I’d stay at nineteen, as we’re going to have some quality prospects available, but you’re probably right in saying that we’ll trade down.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Personally, I’d stay at nineteen, as we’re going to have some quality prospects available ... .

I agree, unless a trade-down 3-5 spots in Round 1 could net a 3rd round draft pick. Love picks in the Top-100.

And would only do such a trade-down if one of two scenarios play-out ...
1. The 3-4 players the Rams coveted at #19 are off-the-board; or
2. There are 3-4 players available at #19 that the Rams really like but have comparable grades

I'm going to have to leave Snead and McVay another voice-mail on this.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
The Rams could possibly trade down if a player is there that a team below them has fallen in love with and is worried about being off the board when they pick, and the Rams have a few players that they like who would still possibly be available later in the 1st round. This could allow them to add another 3rd pick.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I agree, unless a trade-down 3-5 spots in Round 1 could net a 3rd round draft pick. Love picks in the Top-100.

2. There are 3-4 players available at #19 that the Rams really like but have comparable grades

I must have been in the process of typing my reply while you made your post. Great minds think alike.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed. He’s a guy I really want, but don’t expect, to see at #19.
I actually think he'll be around that pick due to the same reasons as AD. He's a complete technician who is an average athlete. Good chance he gets bypassed by the other edge rushers who are gonna blow up the combine.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I actually think he'll be around that pick due to the same reasons as AD. He's a complete technician who is an average athlete. Good chance he gets bypassed by the other edge rushers who are gonna blow up the combine.
This is regarding Latu BTW.

I agree. Similar to the reasoning the Jags took Walker instead of Hutch, pure athletic traits. Did they make a mistake? So far I'd say yes and I thought so when they made the pick. Hopefully that type of thinking drops him to us. Honestly, he is the absolute perfect edge for us with his incredible versatility.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I settled on...

Jared Verse, EDGE, FSU​

He would instantly upgrade the front 7 and be a Yang to Bryon Young`s Yin, and by extension make the secondary better.

We would also get to stop hearing all the complaining about the OLB position. That said, Bryon Young needs to continue to develop into a complete player as he had near zero responsibility in the defense last year other than flying off the edge.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyXbUzP-Or8

IF Verse is off the board, I would not take the UCLA kid because of his injury history and lack of consistent productivity. So in that case, I would go one of the top 4-5 CBs or OL.

We really can`t lose in this draft if we don`t reach.

If McCarthy is considered good than he doesn`t last to 19.

Yeah, have to think Verse off the board. Honestly, this class is just crap for edge, even the top guys have questions. (Still, I'd def pick Verse if he was there). Hope we pick up a savy vet and then maybe take a flier on athletic guy late in the class. There's not much here to like.

WestCoastRam

Legend

Feels like that would be more like a 4th round pick moving from 19 to 23-24... no?

WestCoastRam

Legend
Latu scares the crap out of me with the medical. Would not be shocked if he ends up being a 2nd or 3rd round pick cause of them.

He'll probably go late 1st.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Latu is certainly an interesting case.

He started his college career at Washington, where he suffered a neck injury that required surgery and sidelined him for 2 years (he was deemed “medically retired”). He then transferred to UCLA and, having been medically cleared, proceeded to play 24 games over the last two years. During that time, he registered 23.5 sacks and 5 forced fumbles. In 2023, he won the Lombardi and Hendricks Awards (best lineman, DE).

So, two things are clear. First, he’s a top EDGE prospect. Second, teams are going to thoroughly scrutinize his medical records.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Thing about Dejean is that it's easy to fall in love with his swiss-army-knife ability. Dude can play inside, outside, safety, STAR and return punts.

From what I see, there's a lot to like in what he provides at those spots too.

Thing is, there might be one or two guys there that are better than him at OT or WR and possibly corner when we pick.

Also, just heard he's not working out at combine due to recovery for leg injury from 2023 FWIW.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Thing about Dejean is that it's easy to fall in love with his swiss-army-knife ability. Dude can play inside, outside, safety, STAR and return punts.

From what I see, there's a lot to like in what he provides at those spots too.

Thing is, there might be one or two guys there that are better than him at OT or WR and possibly corner when we pick.

Also, just heard he's not working out at combine due to recovery for leg injury from 2023 FWIW.
Yeah…that’s disappointing.

View: https://x.com/dpbrugler/status/1760717659392376994?s=46