ROD Pick 19 Poll (Pre-Combine Edition)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

At pick No. 19, the Rams select:

• Laita Latu, EDGE, UCLA

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Cooper DeJean, CB, Iowa

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • Nate Wiggins, CB, Clemson

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Jared Verse, EDGE, FSU

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Troy Fautanu, OT, Washington

• Jackson Powers-Johnson, IOL, Oregon

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • J.J. McCarthy, QB, Michigan

• Someone else (specify below)

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Trade (up or down)

Votes: 13 16.3%

• Total voters

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Yeah being apprehensive because he is white - sure I get that.

A "strong no" because he is white.

ehhh.

Many don't believe in analytics.

I'm a believer with this one.

Plus... like I said, I watched him play and took note of the QBs he had to work against.

So, Im not using analytics only but it is actually the biggest indicator for me to say no.

oldnotdead

Legend
I question whether McCarthy drops that far. If they are targeting a QB I think they will try to move up to get him. That said two things must happen. They need to find a partner to trade with. Then the targeted player or players must be on the board. Baring that I think they will take an edge or CB at 19 if unable to trade up to get their targeted player. There are developmental QBs they can take in the second or third round but whether they provide what the Rams need long term is debatable. They could find a good QB2 in that manner. But at QB2 is probably more likely with their final 5th round pick.

Ellard80

Legend
Many don't believe in analytics.

I'm a believer with this one.

Plus... like I said, I watched him play and took note of the QBs he had to work against.

So, Im not using analytics only but it is actually the biggest indicator for me to say no.

From NFL draft blitz:

Elite athletic skills -- Made Bruce Feldman's 'Freaks List' at number 14. He wrote: "The former high school quarterback (who also lettered three times in basketball, track and baseball each) won the Iowa state long jump title (23-7 1/2 inches) and 100 meters (11.16) and has continued to get more explosive since he’s been in college

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you want some painful reminders...

Go watch some Jason Sehorn highlights.
Wait…are we talking analytics, anecdotes or eugenics? I’ve lost track.

I’m interested in DeJean’s game tapes and measurables. Not concerned with his melanin.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Have you seen Cooper play basketball? He floats in the air and his head is like rim level. Guy is next level athletic, not just for a white guy.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
By the way…it is my intention to re-do this poll in a few weeks. I suspect the list and the voting will change over time.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
I think the Rams will address Edge in free agency so I don't think they use their 1st round pick on that position. I have doubts that the Rams pick OL with their first pick three years in a row. I'm leaning towards CB and hoping it's Mitchell but I have a feeling that if Cooper Dejean is still there when they pick its gonna be him. I think the Rams would want him to play the star. Other than QB I'd love to any of those guys in horns honestly.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Wait…are we talking analytics, anecdotes or eugenics? I’ve lost track.

I’m interested in DeJean’s game tapes and measurables. Not concerned with his melanin.

Go watch them then. Jason's and Dejean's.

I have already pointed out the fact that Dejean didn't play against many high level QBs and that should be taken note of when watching as well.

Hey, and I'll just say it plain as I can. Those of you who are doing your best to try and turn this into something that it is not (racist) need to toughen the fuck up. When you are too afraid to talk about a real thing... you're being controlled.

There are many traits that are tied to the various races on this planet. It's scientifically proven and cannot be denied. It is perfectly acceptable to point out strengths and weaknesses based on these facts. If someone is offended by facts that are real... that is their problem.

Analytics is exactly what this is. They don't always tell the whole story as we all know... but they do tend to point us in the best direction numbers wise. You may not be concerned with his melanin... but you might be missing a valuable fact/percentage it is revealing to you.

Ellard80

Legend

I have already pointed out the fact that Dejean didn't play against many high level QBs and that should be taken note of when watching as well.

Hey, and I'll just say it plain as I can. Those of you who are doing your best to try and turn this into something that it is not (racist) need to toughen the fuck up. When you are too afraid to talk about a real thing... you're being controlled.

There are many traits that are tied to the various races on this planet. It's scientifically proven and cannot be denied. It is perfectly acceptable to point out strengths and weaknesses based on these facts. If someone is offended by facts that are real... that is their problem.

Analytics is exactly what this is. They don't always tell the whole story as we all know... but they do tend to point us in the best direction numbers wise. You may not be concerned with his melanin... but you might be missing a valuable fact/percentage it is revealing to you.

Sure there are many more elite pro athletes that are black... no one is going to dispute that.

However, the conclusion that he is not athletic enough because he is white is no not a fact bro.

Go read the scouting reports on him.

Did you see the videos I linked of him dunking on people at 6'1 with his head above the rim?

Psycho_X

Legend
If Latu is there at 19 he'd be my pick hands down. After that I'd take one of the CBs. I get the fear @Selassie I but the kid is an athletic freak for a human overall. One thing I like to tell myself is if he fails at outside CB he'd probably make a crazy good nickelback or safety for a worst case scenario. Either way I'd think we'd get a very good contributor on defense.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker

You seem to be making multiple arguments.

If your opposition to DeJean is based upon your observations of his performance on the field, with consideration of the competition he faced, so be it. You are obviously entitled to your opinion.

The racial aspect, which you seem to be characterizing as “analytics,” however, is more problematic. I’m not going to respond to your assertions regarding inherent racial differences, other than to say that generalizations can steer you away from individual prospects, and that can be a mistake, as it could cause a team not to select a Christian McCaffrey or…closer to home…Cooper Kupp.

I think DeJean is an outstanding prospect. I don’t mind that he could represent a statistical anomaly.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
You seem to be making multiple arguments.

If your opposition to DeJean is based upon your observations of his performance on the field, with consideration of the competition he faced, so be it. You are obviously entitled to your opinion.

The racial aspect, which you seem to be characterizing as “analytics,” however, is more problematic. I’m not going to respond to your assertions regarding inherent racial differences, other than to say that generalizations can steer you away from individual prospects, and that can be a mistake, as it could cause a team not to select a Christian McCaffrey or…closer to home…Cooper Kupp.

I think DeJean is an outstanding prospect. I don’t mind that he could represent a statistical anomaly.

Thanks for allowing me to have an opinion.

You are the one choosing to ignore racial differences when it's convenient for you.

Let's get simple with the analytics... in its purest form. Count up the number of black CBs that are currently in the NFL and compare it to the number of white CBs in the NFL. Compare those numbers and see what the analytics say.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Thanks for allowing me to have an opinion.

You are the one choosing to ignore racial differences when it's convenient for you.

Let's get simple with the analytics... in its purest form. Count up the number of black CBs that are currently in the NFL and compare it to the number of white CBs in the NFL. Compare those numbers and see what the analytics say.
Probably the same thing that such simplistic “analytics” would have said about black QBs in the 1970s or non-black basketball players before the influx of European players into the NBA.

Last edited:

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Probably the same thing that it would have said about black QBs in the 1970s or non-black basketball players before the influx of European players.

If you look at the numbers... the difference far exceeds even those examples.

Drafting players is like gambling. I believe the hit rate for 1st round picks is something like 50/50 and that actually is shockingly bad. 1st rounds picks are valued higher than all others... so I choose to use all the information that is available to help make the best decision.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think most of those on the list won’t be there when we pick.

I think we maybe trade down a bit and try and go for JPJ as McVay said last off-season that he watched a lot of the Saints OL when Brees was there and the big interior allowed him to step up in the pocket and he wanted that (which is a departure from the smaller, quicker, faster OL he seemed enamored with earlier in his coaching career)

I love that as it was always so infuriating to watch our OL get dominated by beefy DLs so I’d be thrilled if we got JPJ.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker

Drafting players is like gambling. I believe the hit rate for 1st round picks is something like 50/50 and that actually is shockingly bad. 1st rounds picks are valued higher than all others... so I choose to use all the information that is available to help make the best decision.
Seems like you are giving undue weight to a single piece of information (race) relative to others (size, speed, athleticism, production, scouting reports) when you eliminate a guy like DeJean from consideration at this stage in the process.

PARAM

Hall of Fame

Is that the current rate? After reading your post I went to PFR and took a look at the first round for the last 3 drafts. It certainly looks like a 70-75% hit rate to me.....over those 3 drafts. Take out QBs as they are heavily over drafted and the percentage goes up.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who the fuck cares what color a guys skin holy shit. Man can play ball you draft him fuck any other optics.