Robinson must be reeeeeeaaaaaally far behind, because...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
You've never of it? Orlando Pace?
Pace held out for 3 weeks and so missed most of training camp/preseason. He was not benched for skill reasons but because he was not in playing shape.

Thanks Fatbot. And even with that, Orlando started in game 5. Robinson is showing no signs of tying him.

Sure, there's probably someone else out there with an even longer holdout than Orlando's, but all that means is I just need to modify my question to whether nor not there's ever been another top 5 pick who missed the first 4 games and was neither injured, suspended or holding out.

duckhunter

Starter
How time flies.

I was at Pace's first game which was the final preseason game that year. He had just signed his contract that week. Even though he was knocking the rust off that game, there was no doubt he was going to be a good one. He only missed one assignment by my eyes. No problem with the limited playbook.

I was also at his Missouri debut in Columbia the previous year and he rag-dolled everybody that lined up against him. Later in the game MU just didn't line anyone across the line against him and let him freelance around the field. He was dominant in EVERYTHING he did.

I'd like to think GRob is that good but would be happy just to see him find the field.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I believe he'll see the field before (or around) mid season. This topic will potentially be good reference material. :sneaky:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I believe he'll see the field before (or around) mid season. This topic will potentially be good reference material. :sneaky:
Indeed it may, I hope you are close on your timeframe est. I want to go on record as concerned but not disheartened . Officially

More worried about Tavon Austin at this point.
As far as T.A it is what you see is what you get. He will make an impact in situations, the day may come or may not where that happens on a more consistent basis but I wouldn't count on it. He still can be a nice situational player though as long as we don't expect more traditional full time contributions.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Indeed it may, I hope you are close on your timeframe est. I want to go on record as concerned but not disheartened . Officially

As far as T.A it is what you see is what you get. He will make an impact in situations, the day may come or may not where that happens on a more consistent basis but I wouldn't count on it. He still can be a nice situational player though as long as we don't expect more traditional full time contributions.

Thats a pretty neutral response on both players, and in a way; fair.

I happen to think TA will be a serious player in this league, but I can't discount your opinion without more data (but it's coming...:sneaky:).

Which would make him an awful pick imo.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Anybody know if Zac Stacy was ready to start immediately or was he merely just held back by the coaching staff initially?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks Fatbot. And even with that, Orlando started in game 5. Robinson is showing no signs of tying him.

Sure, there's probably someone else out there with an even longer holdout than Orlando's, but all that means is I just need to modify my question to whether nor not there's ever been another top 5 pick who missed the first 4 games and was neither injured, suspended or holding out.

I can pull quite a few names out. But, in the end, does it really matter? Greg Robinson is Greg Robinson.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Anybody know if Zac Stacy was ready to start immediately or was he merely just held back by the coaching staff initially?

Wasn't ready. IMO.

But once ready, we saw the result.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
More worried about Tavon Austin at this point.

I posted these two quotes on another site in Tavon conversation...rather than argue the same point...I'll just post them here:
Tavon Austin produced 7 50+ yard plays(two were called back on questionable at best calls that didn't affect the play) in his first 15 games and he's done nothing?

We've already seen that Tavon's explosiveness and speed translates. Try being patient. Look at the Raiders. They gave up on Joe Barksdale in Week 4 of his second season after putting him in the wrong scheme. Look what he's become here.

Patience is necessary with young players.

That's just interesting to me. Because here we are seeing Quick and Jenkins both stepping up in a major way in Year 3. So no, I don't think you are quite there on patience. Patience isn't waiting when it's convenient. Unless a guy flat out shows he can't play in this league(like Blaine Gabbert), you give them three years. Austin hasn't even reached 20 games into his career yet.

I'll say it again, the WR position...especially for small WRs...takes time to transition. You want proof? In NFL history, there are 10 WRs shorter than 6'0" that weighed less than 200 pounds to record 10,000+ receiving yards in their career. How many of the 10 recorded an 1000 yard season BEFORE Year 3 of their career? THREE.

That means 30% of the most productive "small" WRs in history recorded a 1000+ yard season before their 3rd year in the league. Those three were Joey Galloway, Gary Clark, and Harold Jackson.

Do you know who the seven that didn't were? The names are Henry Ellard, Steve Largent, Steve Smith, Charlie Joiner, Derrick Mason, Stanley Morgan, and Santana Moss.

Just in case you want additional information, the three that did were NOT in the top 5 in receiving yards. The top 5 were Ellard, Largent, Smith, Joiner, and Mason.

Tavon is a small WR. Which means that he's going to really have to work on mastering route running, diagnosing defenses, and understanding how to work through traffic and sit down in zones. That takes time. Even Wes Welker didn't post a 1000+ yard season until his FOURTH year in the league.

If the Rams really wanted to get Tavon production, they could line him up outside and use him on deep routes. In fact, I'd love to see them do that with Austin Davis's penchant for throwing deep. But the Rams don't seem to like that plan...why? I don't know.

This was directed towards another person...so don't take it as directed at you...I just think some of the points and data in the argument are relevant to the Tavon discussion.

We'll never know. Maybe he wasn't ready, maybe they were expecting a hell of a lot more from Richardson but that didn't work out so we gave Zac a chance.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Have to remember though his college playbook was absolutely nothing close to resembling a NFL playbook, and he's learning a new position. I guess basically 2 new ones. Still, Joesph is absolute crap.

I'm guessing it's the playbook but still Idk.
Brian Quick all over? I hope not, because I'm already impatient. I really wanted this guy so I hope he plays soon so I won't feel (as) stupid

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
http://wridit.com/content/nfl-draft-prospect-wonderlic-scores-updated
2014 Quarterback Wonderlic Scores:

• Jeff Matthews (Cornell) - 40
  • Johnny Manziel (Texas A&M) - 32
  • Zach Mettenberger (Louisiana State) 30
  • Jimmy Garoppolo (Eastern illinois) 29
  • Logan Thomas (Virginia Tech) 29
  • Keith Wenning (Ball State) 29
  • Tom Savage (Pittsburgh) 29
  • Aaron Murray (Georgia) 29
  • Blake Bortles (Central Florida) - 28
  • Connor Shaw - South Carolina - 23
  • Derek Carr (Fresno State) - 23
  • AJ McCarron (Alabama) 22
  • Teddy Bridgewater (Louisville) - 20
2014 Running Back Wonderlic Scores:

• Carlos Hyde (Ohio State) - 9
  • Dri Archer (Kent State) - 19
  • George Atkinson (Notre Dame) - 12
  • Jerick Mckinnon (Georgia Southern) - 24
  • Jeremy Hill (Louisiana State) - 22
  • Andre Williams (Boston College) - 23
  • Kadeem Carey (UCLA) - 9
  • Lache Seastrunk (Baylor) - 9
  • De'Anthony Thomas (Oregon) - 14
2014 Wide Receiver Wonderlic Scores:

• Jared Abbrederis (Wisconsin) - 32
  • Mike Evans (Texas A&M) - 25
  • Kelvin Benjamin (Florida State) - 7
  • Jordan Matthews (Fresno State) - 29
  • Martavis Bryant (Clemson) - 14
  • Jalen Saunders (Oklahoma) - 16
  • Josh Brown (Pittsburg State) - 15
2014 Tight End Wonderlic Scores:

• Eric Ebron (North Carolina) - 16
  • Colt Lyerla (Oregon) - 24
2014 Offensive Line Wonderlic Scores:

• Gabe Ikard (Oklahoma) - 38
  • Jack Mewhort (Ohio State) - 36
  • Jake Matthews (Texas A&M) - 32
  • Russell Bodine (North Carolina) - 31
  • David Yankey (Stanford) - 30
  • Joel Bitonio (Nevada) - 29
  • Zach Martin (Notre Dame) - 27
  • Ja'Wuan James (Tennessee) - 25
  • Greg Robinson (Auburn) - 22
  • Taylor Lewan (Michigan) - 21
  • Marcus Martin (Southern Cal) - 20
  • Seantrel Henderson (Miami) - 15
2014 Defensive End Wonderlic Scores:

• Jadeveon Clowney (South Carolina) - 14
  • Stephon Tuitt (Notre Dame) - 23
  • Kony Ealy (Missouri) - 10
  • Kareem Martin (North Carolina) - 31
  • Brent Urgan (Virgina) - 27
  • Trent Murphy (Stanford) - 28
2014 Defensive Tackle Wonderlic Scores:

• Ra'Shede Hageman (Minnesota) - 13
  • Aaron Donald (Pittsburg) - 25
  • Louis Nix (Notre Dame) - 23
  • Timmy Jernigan (Florida State) - 20
  • Daniel McCullers (Tennessee) - 17
2014 Linebacker Wonderlic Scores:

• Chris Borland (Wisconsin) - 32
  • Ryan Shazier (Ohio State) - 20
  • Shayne Skov (Stanford) - 34
  • Max Bullouch (Michigan State) - 31
  • Khalil Mach (Buffalo) - 17
  • Demarcus Lawrence (Boise State) - 20
  • Anthony Barr (UCLA) - 28
  • Kyle Van Noy (BYU) - 16
  • Prince Shembo (Notre Dame) - 19
  • Kevin Pierre-Louis (Boston College) - 24
2014 Cornerback Wonderlic Scores

• Justin Gilbert (Oklahoma State) - 14
  • Kyle Fuller (Virgina Tech) - 11
  • Bradley Roby (Ohio State) - 25
  • Jason Verrett (Texas Christian) - 17
  • Stanley Jean-Baptiste (Nebraska) - 12
  • Ross Cockrell (Duke) - 27
  • Aaron Colvin (Oklahoma) - 25
2014 Safety Wonderlic Scores

• HaSean Clinton-Dix (Alabama) - 15
  • Dez Southward (Wisconsin) - 31
  • Deone Bucannon (Washington State) - 15
  • Jimmie Ward (Northern Illinois) - 17
  • Terrence Brooks (Florida State) - 23
  • Lamarcus Joyner (Florida State) - 13
  • Mo Alexander (Utah State) - 14

He's a smart kid. I remember reading about him getting good grades in college. He talks slow, but that's just cause he's a chill dude.
he needs to play right now either way. he could very well be bright but doesn't always translate to the football IQ or vice versa with the wonderlic test. the good grades in college comment made me chuckle. man you don't want to know what goes on behind closed doors with NCAA players and their "classes"

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I can pull quite a few names out. But, in the end, does it really matter? Greg Robinson is Greg Robinson.
I'd actually be interested... because I'm not sure of any others who were in the same boat. At first I thought maybe there'd be a QB taking the Aaron Rodgers route, but even with QBs, if you're drafting them in the top 5, you intend to play them.

But in the end, what matters is getting in there sooner rather than later.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Yes I understand that. But to me it doesn't make sense that he's still not playing. Football is not a hard sport. Learning the playbook is tough but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to block someone. He needs to be playing now.

You've obviously never watched a single drill or seen what goes into actually playing offensive line at the NFL level. Football is not a hard sport? WOW!!!

Watch one practice, be it the offensive line, or even the TEs and watch the technique that is required on every single play. Any running play, can have 3 or 4 different responsibilities all determined by the alignment of the defensive front. If one guy is in the gap, as opposed to on your inside shoulder, or the guy lined up next to you, will all determine how each guy will be blocked, and by whom. Which foot do to take your first step with, which hand do you punch with? Do you drive block him, or turn him? It may not be rocket science, but to say its not a hard game,,, well, with all due respect, I think you are letting your frustration do the talking.

Now that being said. Do not be surprised when you see him in the starting lineup tomorrow night. It might not be etched in stone. But it seems to look like its gonna happen.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
based on what i saw during training camp, he was NOT ready to start. He missed a bunch of camp, with one injury or another. He did nothing to set himself apart throughout camp. Honestly, Terrance Ganaway actually looked like a more polished RB at the time. Difference being, Stacy was a draft pick, Ganaway was brought in as an UDFA.

I posted these two quotes on another site in Tavon conversation...rather than argue the same point...I'll just post them here:

This was directed towards another person...so don't take it as directed at you...I just think some of the points and data in the argument are relevant to the Tavon discussion.

He could easily work out, he's got a lot of talent, but so far he's had a lot of games where he's been a none factor. I just don't think that the odd big play is worth what we gave up for him.

Hopefully he'll be that big play guy more consistently and the big drop guy much less.

The annoying thing is we probably can't afford Quick and Austin if they're both good players (unless they're both All Pros) so Austin's value if they believed in Quick as much as they claimed was always going to be in his rookie contract. Wasting a year and 1/4 of it isn't encouraging.

RamWoodie

Legend
These types of threads are so exasperating, because people assume things thinking they have facts. It is a forum though...so I guess you take it all in...:(

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
You've obviously never watched a single drill or seen what goes into actually playing offensive line at the NFL level. Football is not a hard sport? WOW!!!

Watch one practice, be it the offensive line, or even the TEs and watch the technique that is required on every single play. Any running play, can have 3 or 4 different responsibilities all determined by the alignment of the defensive front. If one guy is in the gap, as opposed to on your inside shoulder, or the guy lined up next to you, will all determine how each guy will be blocked, and by whom. Which foot do to take your first step with, which hand do you punch with? Do you drive block him, or turn him? It may not be rocket science, but to say its not a hard game,,, well, with all due respect, I think you are letting your frustration do the talking.

Now that being said. Do not be surprised when you see him in the starting lineup tomorrow night. It might not be etched in stone. But it seems to look like its gonna happen.

These guys have been playing football their whole life. Why wouldn't they know most of these things? Also, does it really take 3 months of mini camp, training camp and pre season plus a quarter of the season to learn how to block? They dedicate there entire life to the sport. I really don't believe for a second that he doesn't understand what's going on enough to be more productive then Joseph. I get what your saying coach, I played football for a few years and obviously it's not an easy sport. But it's just unacceptable that GR is not playing.