Robinson must be reeeeeeaaaaaally far behind, because...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I have to strongly disagree. The Rams FO obviously views Robinson as a future Pro Bowl player or they wouldnt have taken him 2nd overall. If they feel his play will eventually match his potential you dont pass on him simply to get a guy who will be better year 1

Yes I understand that. But to me it doesn't make sense that he's still not playing. Football is not a hard sport. Learning the playbook is tough but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to block someone. He needs to be playing now.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I have to strongly disagree. The Rams FO obviously views Robinson as a future Pro Bowl player or they wouldnt have taken him 2nd overall. If they feel his play will eventually match his potential you dont pass on him simply to get a guy who will be better year 1

Agree. You take the guy you think has got more long term potential than the guy who might be better year 1 so you have a better chance to be successful in the long term over more than 1 year (because as we all know your season can get stuffed before it starts by losing your starting QB for example and those guys aren't even going to be at their peak year 1!) so you cant go "all in" for 1 particular season.

Still to see him not playing is very frustrating as a fan. I do believe though that the coaches are trying to play the best offensive line they've got - and at the moment that means that Grob is sitting. What that says to me is that he hasn't been as good as they thought he was going to be, or hasn't picked stuff up as quick as they wanted because they said originally they'd "plug and play" him. Whether that's because of trying to make the guy learn more than 1 position too early isn't for me to say.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I think the basic point and question is this: How can GR possibly be any worse though? He needs experience, yes. Even if he makes mistakes though, we're no worse off than now.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/12455/greg-robinson-still-awaiting-his-opportunity

If they wanted, the Rams could easily plug Robinson in at left guard and kick Saffold over to right guard in place of Joseph. Or, barring that, they could at least get Robinson in the game as part of a rotation, something they were willing to do last year at times.

Even if you operate under the assumption that Robinson will have his share of hiccups, especially as a pass blocker -- and he will -- why not get him in there to take some lumps while also adding a player who might be able to help the run game somewhere else besides the left side? If both Joseph and Robinson are going to have issues protecting quarterback Austin Davis, wouldn't it be worth seeing if Robinson can provide more punch in the run game?

The Rams are about to enter the teeth of their schedule with physical matchups against San Francisco and Seattle over the next two weeks. Robinson was drafted for just these types of games. But he can't help the Rams stare down the neighborhood bullies if he's not allowed to leave the house.

Hmm, where did I hear these thoughts recently? :whistle:

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rewatching again... If Robinson could literately just find someone to block he would be better than Joesph. :palm:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Does anyone know what GRob scored on the Wonderlic test? Do OLinemen even take that test?

Athos

Legend
For what it's worth, Pro Football Focus has Joseph down for allowing one sack, six quarterback hits and eight quarterback hurries in the first four games, not to mention three penalties (one offsetting).

Holy fuck, that's worse than I thought. Or maybe better than I thought. Which is still downright dreadful. I don't get the BS handling of GRob.

Let the kid gut his teeth straight up at OG. Work in him again at LT in the offseason where he'll get plenty of time to learn the position for the NFL. We'd be a far better team with GRob and Saffold manning the OG spots. Very annoying. Especially for the #2 overall pick.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Does anyone know what GRob scored on the Wonderlic test? Do OLinemen even take that test?
http://wridit.com/content/nfl-draft-prospect-wonderlic-scores-updated
2014 Quarterback Wonderlic Scores:

• Jeff Matthews (Cornell) - 40
  • Johnny Manziel (Texas A&M) - 32
  • Zach Mettenberger (Louisiana State) 30
  • Jimmy Garoppolo (Eastern illinois) 29
  • Logan Thomas (Virginia Tech) 29
  • Keith Wenning (Ball State) 29
  • Tom Savage (Pittsburgh) 29
  • Aaron Murray (Georgia) 29
  • Blake Bortles (Central Florida) - 28
  • Connor Shaw - South Carolina - 23
  • Derek Carr (Fresno State) - 23
  • AJ McCarron (Alabama) 22
  • Teddy Bridgewater (Louisville) - 20
2014 Running Back Wonderlic Scores:

• Carlos Hyde (Ohio State) - 9
  • Dri Archer (Kent State) - 19
  • George Atkinson (Notre Dame) - 12
  • Jerick Mckinnon (Georgia Southern) - 24
  • Jeremy Hill (Louisiana State) - 22
  • Andre Williams (Boston College) - 23
  • Kadeem Carey (UCLA) - 9
  • Lache Seastrunk (Baylor) - 9
  • De'Anthony Thomas (Oregon) - 14
2014 Wide Receiver Wonderlic Scores:

• Jared Abbrederis (Wisconsin) - 32
  • Mike Evans (Texas A&M) - 25
  • Kelvin Benjamin (Florida State) - 7
  • Jordan Matthews (Fresno State) - 29
  • Martavis Bryant (Clemson) - 14
  • Jalen Saunders (Oklahoma) - 16
  • Josh Brown (Pittsburg State) - 15
2014 Tight End Wonderlic Scores:

• Eric Ebron (North Carolina) - 16
  • Colt Lyerla (Oregon) - 24
2014 Offensive Line Wonderlic Scores:

• Gabe Ikard (Oklahoma) - 38
  • Jack Mewhort (Ohio State) - 36
  • Jake Matthews (Texas A&M) - 32
  • Russell Bodine (North Carolina) - 31
  • David Yankey (Stanford) - 30
  • Joel Bitonio (Nevada) - 29
  • Zach Martin (Notre Dame) - 27
  • Ja'Wuan James (Tennessee) - 25
  • Greg Robinson (Auburn) - 22
  • Taylor Lewan (Michigan) - 21
  • Marcus Martin (Southern Cal) - 20
  • Seantrel Henderson (Miami) - 15
2014 Defensive End Wonderlic Scores:

• Jadeveon Clowney (South Carolina) - 14
  • Stephon Tuitt (Notre Dame) - 23
  • Kony Ealy (Missouri) - 10
  • Kareem Martin (North Carolina) - 31
  • Brent Urgan (Virgina) - 27
  • Trent Murphy (Stanford) - 28
2014 Defensive Tackle Wonderlic Scores:

• Ra'Shede Hageman (Minnesota) - 13
  • Aaron Donald (Pittsburg) - 25
  • Louis Nix (Notre Dame) - 23
  • Timmy Jernigan (Florida State) - 20
  • Daniel McCullers (Tennessee) - 17
2014 Linebacker Wonderlic Scores:

• Chris Borland (Wisconsin) - 32
  • Ryan Shazier (Ohio State) - 20
  • Shayne Skov (Stanford) - 34
  • Max Bullouch (Michigan State) - 31
  • Khalil Mach (Buffalo) - 17
  • Demarcus Lawrence (Boise State) - 20
  • Anthony Barr (UCLA) - 28
  • Kyle Van Noy (BYU) - 16
  • Prince Shembo (Notre Dame) - 19
  • Kevin Pierre-Louis (Boston College) - 24
2014 Cornerback Wonderlic Scores

• Justin Gilbert (Oklahoma State) - 14
  • Kyle Fuller (Virgina Tech) - 11
  • Bradley Roby (Ohio State) - 25
  • Jason Verrett (Texas Christian) - 17
  • Stanley Jean-Baptiste (Nebraska) - 12
  • Ross Cockrell (Duke) - 27
  • Aaron Colvin (Oklahoma) - 25
2014 Safety Wonderlic Scores

• HaSean Clinton-Dix (Alabama) - 15
  • Dez Southward (Wisconsin) - 31
  • Deone Bucannon (Washington State) - 15
  • Jimmie Ward (Northern Illinois) - 17
  • Terrence Brooks (Florida State) - 23
  • Lamarcus Joyner (Florida State) - 13
  • Mo Alexander (Utah State) - 14

He's a smart kid. I remember reading about him getting good grades in college. He talks slow, but that's just cause he's a chill dude.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Have to remember though his college playbook was absolutely nothing close to resembling a NFL playbook, and he's learning a new position. I guess basically 2 new ones. Still, Joesph is absolute shit.

I'm guessing it's the playbook but still Idk.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Those scores are interesting....I don't mind the wait...for talent...I've seen Jake Matthews in some games, believe me, nothing to write home about...I was a Taylor Lewan fan...Physical players win in this league...Not technique....You teach technique, you can't teach physical...or ability...Let's all take a chill pill.
I am a little worried about Joyners & Mo Alexanders wonderlic scores though...LOL

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
You're right. I remember that quote.
I understand the fans' frustration concerning Big G not playing. IMO if he doesn't get in at all this season there's reason to be concerned.
If he's not in by Week 8, my concerned goes to VERY concerned.

It's not like he was drafted right before the season. They've had lots of time to work with him.

BD-TomCat

Rookie
I wasn't a fan of taking Grob @2 I was in favor of a playmaker. Mack and Sammy were my choices at 2. Once we picked him though I was down with the program and a supporter. Really don't understand what Fisher is doing here. You won't loose anything by playing Grob because Joseph is not playing lights out. In fact he is no were close. Joseph is on the downward swing of his career and wont get any better. It would be more beneficial for the team for Robinson to take his lumps all indications are he is a good learner let him learn on the field it will only benefit him in the long run. Hell if he was getting them reps in game he may have been ready by now. He will not get better watching the game

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
AJ McCarron (Alabama) 22
Teddy Bridgewater (Louisville) - 20

Greg Robinson (Auburn) - 22

Amazing he had as good or better score than 2 of the most talked about QBs in the draft. Dude needs to be ballin' right now.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Kinda irks me with Fisher's idea of letting O-linemen learn to play multiple positions. Just like in the real world, role ambiguity can really hurt employees if they're assigned to process too much information and eventually blow up assignments because of that. Whatever the case is with our O-line, I hope GRob is concentrated on playing the LT position.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
He was introduced to the game of football late in his life though. He's not dumb but perhaps not "football smart", if you know what i mean. As username said his assignments were simpler at Auburn. He just hasnt had the experience. If that is the case though you'd think the coaching staff would be trying to feed him the game at a pace he can consume. I get the sense that he's capable but is being asked to "drink from a firehose" with all the moving around and etc. What position does he even play?

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
He was introduced to the game of football late in his life though. He's not dumb but perhaps not "football smart", if you know what i mean. As username said his assignments were simpler at Auburn. He just hasnt had the experience. If that is the case though you'd think the coaching staff would be trying to feed him the game at a pace he can consume. I get the sense that he's capable but is being asked to "drink from a firehose" with all the moving around and etc. What position does he even play?

Yeah. I think a part of the problem might have been that he's projected to be the franchise LOT for this team and was supposed to fill in at Guard until that time. However he wasn't ready to play guard. Have they been coaching him up to play guard since or is he now our backup LT instead waiting to replace Jake Long eventually?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yeah i felt all along that the coaching staff would have been better off just plugging him in at Guard this season and leaving any Tackle responsibilities out of it. Get his confidence up by teaching him the playbook, but letting him destroy ppl in the run game in the process.

I would have saved the LT stuff until next spring.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Basically, where I'm at with GRob is this... it's not time to PANIC yet... the dude still has plenty of time to turn it around, and his ceiling is still Hall of Fame.

But it is time to be concerned. I'm not sure I've ever heard of any top 5 pick missing the first 4 games without being suspended or injured. And it's not just because he's a rookie because other rookies are contributing. And every week that goes by that he's the world's highest paid Rams spectator, that worry grows.

As Username pointed out, it's not like he's being kept on the bench by superior play of those in front of him.

You've never of it? Orlando Pace?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Yeah i felt all along that the coaching staff would have been better off just plugging him in at Guard this season and leaving any Tackle responsibilities out of it. Get his confidence up by teaching him the playbook, but letting him destroy ppl in the run game in the process.

I would have saved the LT stuff until next spring.

What he said, x50 ^^^^

This is likely the reason GRob isn't playing yet. Instead of having him focus on one position, they've thrown two positions to learn at him and have diluted his ability to function at both. They knew he was raw coming in, knew he didn't pass block much in college, and had him penciled in as G. For the life of me I can't understand why they didn't just focus on that for this year. He could be getting reps and gaining confidence right now.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Orlando Pace?
Pace held out for 3 weeks and so missed most of training camp/preseason. He was not benched for skill reasons but because he was not in playing shape.

The GRob situation is mind boggling. It's universally accepted Joseph is sucking, so GRob can't possibly do any worse. I don't see how it hurts his development to stick him in there, seems to me game experience is going to help him grow. If anything it just increases the chance that it "clicks" for him now so next year he'll be ready to dominate game 1. I guess the fear is his confidence gets shattered if he sucks, but I can't imagine this is great for his confidence knowing he can't sniff the field even while the starter is terrible.