Richard Sherman's unsolicited advice!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Without looking can any of you name the other players who supported Keapernicks actions by also kneeling?

How do you feel about Robert Quinn raising his right fist in the traditional "black power" salute for the entire season? Did it bother you or did you not know he was doing it because NOBODY in the 2nd largest media market bothered to inform fans that he was protesting too. Yet the LA media covered Kaepernick didn't they. Players all over the NFL knelt or raised fists during the anthem. Yet only Keapernick got covered by the media.

This is from an article about the protests. As an aside Anthony Ervin is a white guy.

Overall, at least 49 NFL players from 13 NFL teams have knelt, sat, or raised a fist during the national anthem on game day. Three teams have linked arms or held hands as a sign of unity amidst the racial discord.

ME: can you name ONE?

The protests aren’t just confined to the NFL, either.

Fourteen WNBA players from three teams protested in the playoffs. Star soccer player Megan Rapinoe took a knee during the anthem during a NWSL game, and later when representing the U.S. national team. Gold medal swimmer Anthony Ervin raised a fist as the anthem played during a meet in Brazil. Eight NBA teams have joined arms in unity. Even national anthem singers are taking a knee.

This is a big deal IMO because it got the conversation going and I don't care how ticked off white people are about it. And I'm white. It put focus on something that needed focus. There have been riots when police had legit reasons for shooting a black person and I'm not cool with that and find it disgusting and just a erason for people to riot and loot. But I've seen enough in my life to know that black people are treated badly too often.

This isn't something that was just made up for fun, it's a legit problem in the US. There is more conversation about race relations now and that's not a bad thing.

For what it's worth I think Keapernick is a douche, but he's right.

exactly. the media only talks and asks questions about the krapper. they're like an albatross around his neck, ruining any chance of employment because they're always there, always asking questions and talking about him kneeling. they never stop. who wants that for a marginal talent?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Sorry man, gotta disagree with this statement. I just recently read the first biography on Key written in the past 75 years, and it doesn't come off as a portrait of a man that "hated" blacks. He definitely thought of them as inferior ( a very common belief during that period of time), and felt it was his right to own slaves, but he also risked his life defending them, both in court and staring down a mob bent on lynching a man before due process. I highly recommend the book.

Thank you. Not that anyone in the media cares about being objective of the TIME PERIOD in how things went down. It's "racist white leader" this, "racist white whatever" that. Hate, hate, hate. Just in a different form.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
There are consequences to speech, especially when employed. The owners have the legal right to do what they're doing, but that doesn't make it morally right. People sometimes have to make sacrifices for standing up for their beliefs. Kaepernick seems like he'll be added to that list. He's good enough to play in the NFL today. Whether or not you agree with his cause, I think you should respect his right to stand up for his beliefs. That's what makes America the amazing country it is.

Well said jrry.

Only issue i have is that i'm NOT totally convinced Kaepernick is talented enough to play in the NFL, he is not a starting QB, and quite frankly, wouldn't want his as a backup.

There are guys that are not as good on rosters right now, or in camp with a shot to make the roster.

I would cut a player immediately if they were involved in a rape case. Domestic violence same thing.

I'm assuming you mean after a conviction right?

Ramzheart

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, sorry I open this can of worms! I was largely upset because Sherman mentioned the Rams but this went way off the rails.!!!

Who's gonna win the game tonight??

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
exactly. the media only talks and asks questions about the krapper. they're like an albatross around his neck, ruining any chance of employment because they're always there, always asking questions and talking about him kneeling. they never stop. who wants that for a marginal talent?

It's bothered me on and off when this topic comes up because he's the only guy in the spotlight.

I bet you didn't know about Quinn did you? And I bet if we both searched we wouldn't find more than a few words about him raising his fist all year last year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm assuming you mean after a conviction right?

I would look at the facts of the case tbh. While I realize our law requires proof of guilt to be guilty, as an owner you have to consider impact on the fan base at large and how it makes your organization look. So while I'd like to answer "yes," I have to admit that if the case looked strong enough I'd go the other way.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, sorry I open this can of worms! I was largely upset because Sherman mentioned the Rams but this went way off the rails.!!!

Who's gonna win the game tonight??

I'm just glad to see some tackling lol

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I apologize to all of you idk any of you personally so I don't mean to attack your character or beliefs

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I apologize to all of you idk any of you personally so I don't mean to attack your character or beliefs

No offense taken from myself. I have no problem with people demonstrating countering opinions, and often it makes me think more about a subject too. It's all good.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's bothered me on and off when this topic comes up because he's the only guy in the spotlight.

I bet you didn't know about Quinn did you? And I bet if we both searched we wouldn't find more than a few words about him raising his fist all year last year.

i knew other players in the league did some form of solidarity with the krapper but i didn't pay much attention. the story became all about the krapper and i lost interest very quickly.

having said that, from the outside looking in i'm shocked by the amount of black people killed by policemen after routine traffic stops but then again, i have no idea what it's like in those areas. but really, when you see some old guy jogging away from a policeman at a snails pace get shot down about 7 times in the back you gotta wonder what's going on.

Mick

Pro Bowler
Read the second stanza of his poem, make me look less like a fool you look like someone cherry picking what you want to know. He didn't risk his life for no black man in fact he stated he wanted to send them all back to Africa in fact in that very poem he said no quarter for the Hiriling or the slave the only blacks he couldn't do anything about was the free blacks the ones that joined on the promise of freedom that never got it after the war maybe you want to look up the real history because we all know his-story
Well historical research done by a historian says otherwise, but you do you man. No quarter for the hirling or slave means those fighting on the side of the British, not because of their skin color, as many hirlings were white Europeans fighting in the employment of the British Army. I do look up real history, being that my degree is in History, and I teach it currently, but again, you do you. Lastly, the "look like a fool was meant for Kap, not you. Not sure how you argue against oppression while wearing the face of an oppressor on your chest, but what do I know, right? :whistle:

nighttrain

Legend
There are guys that are not as good on rosters right now, or in camp with a shot to make the roster.
so sorry, Kaep was diagnosed by DC' as a one play passer, cover his main read and he runs, right on to the IR
train

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well historical research done by a historian says otherwise, but you do you man. No quarter for the hirling or slave means those fighting on the side of the British, not because of their skin color, as many hirlings were white Europeans fighting in the employment of the British Army. I do look up real history, being that my degree is in History, and I teach it currently, but again, you do you. Lastly, the "look like a fool was meant for Kap, not you. Not sure how you argue against oppression while wearing the face of an oppressor on your chest, but what do I know, right? :whistle:

As a historian you know that black slaves from the south was hired by the British with promises that if the British wins the war then they would be free. A lot of blacks people decided to fight for the British because of that promises but more SLAVES fought for America and for this country's independence and here you go with a poem that doesn't reflect the African American role in the freedom of this country but instead a calls for them to be killed.

I re read your post and I realized it was about Kap, I apologize about that oversight

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And that's exactly what he's doing. So kneeling is worse then being accused for rape 2 times or domestic violence or actually killing people by drunk driving gtfoh, people get upset when somebody telling the truth about how freaked up the justice system is. Racist ass National anthem
I think this is the first time I've used that rating. First of all I wouldn't want Hardy, Vick or Kapernick on a team I root for. And I used to root for Kap when he played for my local university. Hardy and Vick have done disgusting things to people and animals. Vick may have served his time for the crime but that doesn't mean I have to forget what he's done.

Hardy as you've said was never remorseful and never was held accountable for his actions. He's a disgusting person just as Leonard Little was when he was on the Rams and I couldn't stomach rooting for the man.

Kapernick absolutely has a right to his opinion, just as you do here by calling the justice system what you do and calling the national anthem what you do. But what you and others seem to forget is your stance and Kapernicks stance are perfectly fine you're allowed to have them but myself and others don't have to agree and don't have to keep supporting you or him if you voice that opinion. People seem to be saying it's ok for Kap to have his opinion but if I have an opinion about him because of it I'm not allowed to it. It's amazing that you will pound the table saying Kapernick is ok for what he did and said but we're not ok for what we're saying and doing. It doesn't work that way.

As for teams having a double standard and employing Hardy and Vick but not Kap that's one of many double standards they have. But the Bill of Rights and no law in the land gives anybody a right to a job. It says you can't be denied something based on race religion sex age etc etc. Again there are consequences for each and every action that we take. If I were to go to Rams games but I don't buy tickets for the games that Kap or Hardy play vs the Rams am I doing something wrong or am I obligated to pay for those tickets?

If you want another reason why teams won't employ Kap look at what his idiot girlfriend tweeted out. His actions and stances aren't the only reason he's unemployed.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think this is the first time I've used that rating. First of all I wouldn't want Hardy, Vick or Kapernick on a team I root for. And I used to root for Kap when he played for my local university. Hardy and Vick have done disgusting things to people and animals. Vick may have served his time for the crime but that doesn't mean I have to forget what he's done.

Hardy as you've said was never remorseful and never was held accountable for his actions. He's a disgusting person just as Leonard Little was when he was on the Rams and I couldn't stomach rooting for the man.

Kapernick absolutely has a right to his opinion, just as you do here by calling the justice system what you do and calling the national anthem what you do. But what you and others seem to forget is your stance and Kapernicks stance are perfectly fine you're allowed to have them but myself and others don't have to agree and don't have to keep supporting you or him if you voice that opinion. People seem to be saying it's ok for Kap to have his opinion but if I have an opinion about him because of it I'm not allowed to it. It's amazing that you will pound the table saying Kapernick is ok for what he did and said but we're not ok for what we're saying and doing. It doesn't work that way.

As for teams having a double standard and employing Hardy and Vick but not Kap that's one of many double standards they have. But the Bill of Rights and no law in the land gives anybody a right to a job. It says you can't be denied something based on race religion sex age etc etc. Again there are consequences for each and every action that we take. If I were to go to Rams games but I don't buy tickets for the games that Kap or Hardy play vs the Rams am I doing something wrong or am I obligated to pay for those tickets?

If you want another reason why teams won't employ Kap look at what his idiot girlfriend tweeted out. His actions and stances aren't the only reason he's unemployed

It's ok that you and other people don't like Kap by problem and everyone else's problem is that people don't want to ADMIT the reason why he isn't playing it's just until recently when OWNERS have admitted the real reason why he isn't playing. As far as the justice system go I can name a number of laws and instances that shows the disadvantages of minority's compared to our white counterpart. The thing is some people never had to live it so you never had to see it some people have empathy some don't. You have people that believes that since it never happened to them that everything is perfect so when they see things with their own eyes it's always excuses because they don't want to lose that perfect image they have in their mind. That's perfectly fine but when it comes to this my experiences prove me right,whether it's from me being born in Ms or going to war in the navy.

Mick

Pro Bowler
As a historian you know that black slaves from the south was hired by the British with promises that if the British wins the war then they would be free. A lot of blacks people decided to fight for the British because of that promises but more SLAVES fought for America and for this country's independence and here you go with a poem that doesn't reflect the African American role in the freedom of this country but instead a calls for them to be killed.

I re read your post and I realized it was about Kap, I apologize about that oversight
Again, calling for those fighting against the US to be given no quarter, not because they were black, but because they fought against his country....not hard to see the distinction, unless you willfully want to read something else into it. No where in his poem does he advocate killing slaves that fought on the side of the US.....if he did, you'd have a valid point. Reading historical events through the lens of a belief system in the 21st century can lead to all sorts of revisionist history, but I have yet to see any credible evidence that F. Scott Key was for the extermination of the black race. My last word on this...no hard feelings here. I like talking history is all.

nighttrain

Legend
Again, calling for those fighting against the US to be given no quarter, not because they were black, but because they fought against his country....not hard to see the distinction, unless you willfully want to read something else into it. No where in his poem does he advocate killing slaves that fought on the side of the US.....if he did, you'd have a valid point. Reading historical events through the lens of a belief system in the 21st century can lead to all sorts of revisionist history, but I have yet to see any credible evidence that F. Scott Key was for the extermination of the black race. My last word on this...no hard feelings here. I like talking history is all.
well said amigo
train

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What do you know about it. I know who wrote it and what circumstances it was wrote under..Enlighten me

train
These are some quotes in the National anthem think about when this song was written think about who the FREEMEN were that he is constantly speaking on.

By the millions unchained who our birthright have gained,

O'er the land of the free

Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:

O thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand

Status
Not open for further replies.