Report: NFL execs believe Peyton Manning will sign with Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

pirate87

UDFA
Name
Charlie
Well said. He needs the freedom at the LOS to change play and get into a better play to be effective. When he got his chance to come back after Brock was benched he did just that within Kubiak's system and sealed the #1 seed. In the playoffs vs Pittsburgh he actually looked pretty good. His receivers had 7 drops that day. He managed to keep that going in the first half vs NE before the OL fell apart in the second. They were pretty terrible in the Superbowl and Peyton couldn't get anything going. If healthy I think you could see more of the QB that did well vs Pittsburgh and along with a running game and solid defense that could be enough. Denver didn't have a very good running game this year either with Manning or Brock. The Rams with Gurley could give him that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well said. He needs the freedom at the LOS to change play and get into a better play to be effective. When he got his chance to come back after Brock was benched he did just that within Kubiak's system and sealed the #1 seed. In the playoffs vs Pittsburgh he actually looked pretty good. His receivers had 7 drops that day. He managed to keep that going in the first half vs NE before the OL fell apart in the second. They were pretty terrible in the Superbowl and Peyton couldn't get anything going. If healthy I think you could see more of the QB that did well vs Pittsburgh and along with a running game and solid defense that could be enough. Denver didn't have a very good running game this year either with Manning or Brock. The Rams with Gurley could give him that.

That's true. But we'll need more consistency at WR and on the OL. And even with Manning, we still need a QBOTF.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'd be all for it, I know Manning is nearing retirement age, but it's still Payton Manning FFS!! I'm sure out WRs would benefit from it and our back up QBs, I'd love to see Mannion get tutelage under PM for a year or so.

I know everyone says we need a QB of the future, I do think we have that in Mannion.

RamBill

Legend
The Rams have been the only team to show interest in bringing in Peyton Manning, but that was during the playoffs. Mike Florio doesn’t think Los Angeles is a good fit and mentions that he could join a team mid-season.

Watch Florio Talk Rams/Manning

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Mike Florio doesn’t think Los Angeles is a good fit and mentions that he could join a team mid-season.

He said something sort of different in the following article.

The Rams continue to be the most logical option, for now. They have most of the pieces to contend, and quarterback continues to be the most glaring weakness. But would Peyton, who is notoriously a creature of habit, want to play for a team that is embarking on a three-year stint as football vagabonds?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/05/is-anyone-preparing-to-pursue-peyton-manning/

Is anyone preparing to pursue Peyton Manning?
Posted by Mike Florio on March 5, 2016

More than four weeks ago, a report emerged that the Rams were considering the possibility of making a run at quarterback Peyton Manning. Since then, there has been no further chatter about the Rams pursuing Peyton. Or, for that matter, anyone else.

Four years ago, when Manning last was a free agent following four neck surgeries, the teams were lining up for a change to sign him. (Or, as the 49ers clumsily insisted at the time, simply to “evaluate” him.) Now, as it becomes more inevitable that Manning hasn’t closed the door on playing but the Broncos have closed the door on Manning playing for them, there’s nothing. Not a whisper. Not a hint. Not even a reporter offering up under the guise of astute speculation a theory that has been leaked directly and deliberately by Camp Manning.

Even as Manning repeatedly speaks about his playing career in the present tense, there’s no indication that anyone wants him. No rumors. No trial balloons. No naysaying executives or coaches with a team that is deliberating the possibility blabbing in the hopes of provoking the fans or media to shout it down.

The Rams continue to be the most logical option, for now. They have most of the pieces to contend, and quarterback continues to be the most glaring weakness. But would Peyton, who is notoriously a creature of habit, want to play for a team that is embarking on a three-year stint as football vagabonds?

Things will get interesting in Denver if Brock Osweiler doesn’t re-sign. At that point, the Broncos would have to decide between bringing in a new quarterback entirely or figuring out a way to lure Peyton back after cutting him in the coming days.

The only other remotely intriguing possibility, pending further developments, would be to join Eli in New York, as the quarterback of the Jets. But with an army of media covering the team, if the Jets had any interest at all, someone would have said something by now.

Peyton’s best bet, if he truly wants to play (and it sure seems like he does), could be to stay in shape and wait for someone to get injured. Two years ago, he could have joined the Cardinals for a playoff push. Last year, the Cowboys surely would have come calling late in the year — and maybe even the Colts.

Injuries are inevitable. If the right team has the wrong injury at the perfect time, Peyton could pull a Roger Clemens and return to the game healthy, rested, and ready to do just enough to help an otherwise contending team become a champion.

Ultimately, that may be his only option after he becomes a free agent for the second time in his career.