Report: NFL execs believe Peyton Manning will sign with Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
If we sign him, I want it to be as a backup. Having him would be invaluable as a mentor.

As for him starting, I'm not confident that he can stay healthy for an entire year at this point in his career.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Point well taken. Then again, I recall when the Rams trotted out Namath for his final season....it wasn't pretty, watching a guy who looked like he was playing on stilts. Obviously Manning's knees are fine enough, but his declining skills are apparent and one would assume next season won't be any better. So what's the point, put someone out there who will only play a year and break someone else in the next season? I see the marketing aspect, but what would it do to advance the team for the future?

Ironically, the guys still better than anything they already have as a game manager.............what am I saying? :shocked:

I remember defenders grabbing him and gently putting him down because he was so immobile and they didn't want to hurt him. Playing on stilts is a perfect description.

jap

Legend
If LA becomes Peyton Place for a year, that should be just enough time for a full download of all his knowledge to our QBs via the Vulcan Mind Touch.

RamzFanz

Damnit
RamzFanz you have been all over the news today! great work
but the Folds signing was a good bet that just went horribly wrong - no need to blame them for trying to get that "bridge" QB we are all begging for until Mannion is ready to turn into a HOF'er
:hiding:

Yes, true, Foles was a gamble that didn't pay off. My issue with it was they couldn't see it wasn't paying off and allow a QB competition. @CoachO could see it and called it very early in camp. Why not Fisher? I don't trust their QB judgment or training at all.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Yes, true, Foles was a gamble that didn't pay off. My issue with it was they couldn't see it wasn't paying off and allow a QB competition. @CoachO could see it and called it very early in camp. Why not Fisher? I don't trust their QB judgment or training at all.

Totally - even in the first Seattle game Folds was holding on way too long to the ball

RamzFanz

Damnit
I would put the blame on the Foles trade on the Rams front office under the advisement of Snead and Fisher. Who aren't directly coaching the QB position for the Rams, and it's a good thing because that's way below their pay grade. The "sign Manning so he can teach our young" rhetoric is insane. You want to hire the guy for his offensive mind? Then do it. Don't hire him under the guise that he is going to give us that offensive spark we have been waiting to see, because it just isn't going to happen.

I don't have to count the failed QB's under their watch, but I know a good majority of them was waiting for Bradford to stay healthy. Chip Kelly shined up an old pair of shoes and sold it to us. Shame on us. What if Foles does make it back though? What if Keenum is everything Fisher thinks he is? What if their is something to Mannion and he can be an NFL QB. Two of those questions intrigue me more than Manning as our next QB.

Extending Foles was a necessary demon, or as they thought it was at the time. If he played lights out and got us to the playoffs, he'd be costing a lot more right about now.

People like CoachO and others could see Foles wasn't working in TC. If Fisher couldn't, that's on him.

You want to hire the guy for his offensive mind? Then do it.

My point exactly. And he could also play QB as needed. I don't see him as the answer, but to have that potential and experience on the team? He did just win the SB.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Talk about foreshadowing...2009
image.jpeg

Ants

Starter
The prospect of Manning coming to the Rams reminds me of when Joe Nameth did the same thing.
...not a fan.

From the Manning perspective, why would an old, immobile QB want to come to a team with a young (read shaky) offensive line, and a mish-mash of WR's with mediocre resumes?
I don't think he would even consider the Rams. But what do I know? :thinking:

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I think people are hoping Manning will bounce back to an elite form from years ago. Honestly, I was on the same train as I didn't watch many Bronco's games last year, but after watching him play in the playoffs, I say he's done. His arm is a noodle now and he can't get it down the field or make those comeback throws he made a living off of.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was at an event tonight where Manning was the speaker. Of course, the retirement was brought up. It sounded to me like he doesn't want to retire.(didn't give a yes or a no, though)

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'll say up front I think he should retire. And I don't think much of him personally and even less of his dad.

That said, MUCH of his issue was the conversion away from the system that he was successful in. They did it because they wanted Kubiaks offense that would extend past Manning's tenure.

It did not play to Manning's strengths especially older Manning.

If the Rams were to essentially adapt to a closer hybrid of Gase's Offense that better fit Manning, there is a chance he'd be more successful.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Why on earth would Peyton want to!!!?! And besides that Denver Owns him for another year retired or not!! So that would cost over and above what Peyton might want!!

Ram210

UDFA
Peyton needs to retire he has no reason to keep playing. He has a wonderful family, plenty of money, and just won his second Super Bowl. He turns 40 this month and has had neck surgery at least three times. He can prepare for his Canton speech in August 2021.

As Kenny Rogers would so eloquently say, "You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away and know when to run." That option is much better than Dandy Don and Willie Nelson's preference of, "Turn out the lights the party's over, they say that all good things must end, call it a night the party's over and tomorrow starts the same old thing again!"

Just go away Peyton it's time my friend. Get ready to make your next "millions" on FOX/CBS/NBC as studio/game analyst. The Rams should say thanks but no thanks.

pirate87

UDFA
Name
Charlie
I'll say up front I think he should retire. And I don't think much of him personally and even less of his dad.

That said, MUCH of his issue was the conversion away from the system that he was successful in. They did it because they wanted Kubiaks offense that would extend past Manning's tenure.

It did not play to Manning's strengths especially older Manning.

If the Rams were to essentially adapt to a closer hybrid of Gase's Offense that better fit Manning, there is a chance he'd be more successful.

Manning pretty much said as much today:

Ccm0HmyUUAERXNd.jpg:large

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Manning pretty much said as much today:

Ccm0HmyUUAERXNd.jpg:large

Funny. That was said at the event I was at tonight.

Although, in context, he wasn't quite making that point. He wasn't blaming the system. He was saying that he recognized that the team's path to success went through the defense so he had to recognize his physical limitations and change his game to take a backseat to the defense. Go from the guy carrying the team to a game manager that minimizes mistakes and lets the defense do the heavy lifting.

Last edited:

pirate87

UDFA
Name
Charlie
That is pretty cool that you were there. I can't speak for that but Manning's decline started the day that Elway took the offense away from him. That day was after the Rams beat Denver in 2014. Sure his body is failing but he hasn't been able to rely on his mind as much since that game. If he does decide to come back and play he will only do so if he can do things mostly his way.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That is pretty cool that you were there. I can't speak for that but Manning's decline started the day that Elway took the offense away from him. That day was after the Rams beat Denver in 2014. Sure his body is failing but he hasn't been able to rely on his mind as much since that game. If he does decide to come back and play he will only do so if he can do things mostly his way.

I don't think it's the system that's causing the problems. Manning might be able to get with the Rams and design the perfect system for his limited skill-set but even with that, I think the days of him being a quality starter are over. I think the best you can do is design a system where Manning (with his new mindset) plays the role of a game manager. It might work. But I don't know. He looked so done in 2015. I don't want to see the guy fall on his face in 2016 with the Rams. He's one of my favorite players of all time. I don't want to resent him in 2016.

Yea, my grandfather had tickets to the event. He offered one to me. I jumped on it. Wish I had the chance to meet him. Much better speaker than I thought he'd be. Funny guy.

The theme of the speech was adapting leadership to changing environments. That's where the context comes into play a bit on the quote. He was speaking on how his leadership style and role had to change after he came back from his injury. Basically, how he accepted his new role with the team and recognized that the defense was now the strength of the team. I don't think it was intended to be an excuse for his play or a shot at the system.

I will say that there's merit to the opinion that the system held him back. I do think that's true. It didn't make his job easier. They could have utilized a system that was a better fit for Peyton. That all said, I also think he would have struggled in 2015 in any system.

The big question is...now that he has accepted that role, if he plays in 2016, could he play much more effectively because he accepts his new role with a team?

Kind of like how some former power pitchers in the MLB still manage to have a late career renaissance after they learn how to deal with their diminished velocity. Manning may not be the same guy but can he still be an effective member of a team? I think it's possible. But like I said, that would be as an intelligent game manager rather than a quality starting QB.