Report: NFL execs believe Peyton Manning will sign with Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Report: NFL execs believe Peyton Manning will sign with Rams
by Steve DelVecchio

http://larrybrownsports.com/football/nfl-execs-peyton-manning-sign-with-rams/294753

Would Peyton Manning sign with a team like the Los Angeles Rams just to play another season? Several NFL executives apparently think so.

Bleacher Report’s Mike Freeman said Tuesday that he finds it “amazing” how many NFL front office people he has spoken with who believe Manning will play in 2016 and wind up with the Rams.

This is not the first we have heard about Manning possibly going to the Rams, and you know owner Stan Kroenke would love to make a big splash like that in his first season in L.A.

Manning is still undecided on whether he wants to play next season, though ESPN’s Adam Schefter said Tuesday that Peyton wants to keep going. The only thing that would stop him, according to Schefter, is if no team offers him a fair deal, and you would think the Rams would be willing to do that.

The Broncos are giving Manning time to make his decision, though all indications are that they do not want him back next season.

As we already mentioned, it is somewhat surprising that Manning is entertaining the idea of playing in 2016. His skills are in decline, he just won his second Super Bowl, and he has had to deal with questions about a sexual assault lawsuit and performance-enhancing drug allegations involving his wife. Walking away on top seems like a good idea.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
I love it.perfect situation for Mannion.Buy time and let him learn under one of the best

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
inb4 the "he's washed up!" crowd.

BTW, what we've trotted out there for the past 8 years.... How's that been working out?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

BTW, what we've trotted out there for the past 8 years.... How's that been working out?
My only problem is that I don't believe Peyton makes us an immediate contender. Are we going to bring him in (at a decent salary mind you) for one year? Maybe two? If we don't win in those years then we'll be right back here. We've got 3 key pieces of our secondary floating around in free agency. I'd much rather get them and grab a younger qb.

Edit: not to mention, we don't have the offensive weapons that Peyton had

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie

Hasn't worked out well but torn ACL's and bad OL's had a lot to do with it and I don't think even Manning could have overcome any of that.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Hasn't worked out well but torn ACL's and bad OL's had a lot to do with it and I don't think even Manning could have overcome any of that.
I think he would have done significantly better. Nobody gets rid of the ball faster or makes quicker decisions. I agree that he's ending the near of his career, but I'd take him over Shaun Hill, Kellen Clemens, A.J. Feeley, Austin Davis, Kyle Boller, Nick Foles, etc. Get Mannion up to speed and draft another rookie if you don't wanna keep Keenum around. I don't think anyone can deny that we were a QB away from being a legit playoff team last year.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
He's lost some mojo but as X said its better than what we've had. I still think we need to draft the future. But Petyon is the best to learn from.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If Osweiler hits the open market, I hope the Rams jump all over that too.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I think he would have done significantly better. Nobody gets rid of the ball faster or makes quicker decisions. I agree that he's ending the near of his career, but I'd take him over Shaun Hill, Kellen Clemens, A.J. Feeley, Austin Davis, Kyle Boller, Nick Foles, etc. Get Mannion up to speed and draft another rookie if you don't wanna keep Keenum around. I don't think anyone can deny that we were a QB away from being a legit playoff team last year.
My main thing is I'm not sold on this OL. I completely agree based on QB talent alone Manning is far better than anything the Rams have had but can he take the beatings at this point? And he's always had at least one very good WR. I don't know if the Rams have that. Maybe someone steps up with a good QB throwing the ball.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
One thing about Payton... even if he's a backup in your QB room he's gonna make your offense and scheme smarter. So IMO sure, bring him in and let him compete and if it doesn't work out move him immediately to the coaching staff.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So Larry Brown sports is citing a bleacher report guy claiming anonymous league officials say something? I'll check back when somebody credible cites this.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Denver had the edge at #1WR other than that the Rams' talent with Gurley and TA were better than what the Broncos had.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't mind the Sheriff coming to LA for a year, he's better than anything else we got.