Report: Josh McDaniels would leave patriots for HC job

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Well, the same thing was said about Mike Martz after 2005... I wish he'd never been fired.

Martz was 53-32 and had 1 losing season which was 7-9 equaling Fishers best win total in a season for us. Fisher had 5 straight losing seasons in a row. Different situations obviously but I could understand why someone might end up wishing they had Martz back but Fisher? Yikes.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah, my rankings seem to be a bit...fluid.

The one who rises and falls and keeps messing up the rankings? Kyle Shanahan.

His system is a WCO so less for Goff to learn and he's gotten the run game working and has been a QB whisperer. All good, right? Except there have been allegations for years about entitlement, playing favorites and being a bit of an asshat. Well, who else fits that description? Oh yeah, McDaniel. Pretty sure I don't want to relive Denver's experiment.

Will Shanahan be McDaniel or will he be a tougher coach, but avoid being a plick...

I'd say this is just a disinformation campaign to help another coach, but these stories have been around about him for years.

So...yes, he has the resume. And, he's got baggage.

Which is why he's not only not first or second, but he's the guy who's the most boom or bust on my list right now.

Especially after Fisher, I worry most about Kyle Shanahan from an Organizational Behavior and Management standpoint. He doesn't have the gravitas to command the room to justify certain behaviors. If Bill Belichick came into a room and did a certain thing, almost to a player, they'd just go, "heck, it's Coach B. I may not like it, but he wins...a LOT." If Kyle Shanahan comes into the Rams locker room or team meeting room and throws down something, will it go over? Or will the players just grumble or silently stare like he's giving a UN speech in Urdu...

I'm trackin with what you're saying there Mack and agree. I do like Shanny Jr and I think he's the top name of the OC types. But yeah, he's yet to experience running the whole thing, and that is where I personally think McDaniels has an advantage. That and the growth that comes from it. Of the two, I believe McDaniels is the guy who will most likely hire a top staff that challenges him. I just wonder if he's gonna have that cult-like insistence to run a 3-4 defense, and if so that is the thing that would make me scratch him off the list; for me that really is the biggest question with McD.

I also think Mike Shanahan's words were key too in that recent interview, where he said the Rams need to figure out what they want. Do they want the offensive mind with a complementary GM? If so their guy is Kyle or another of the hot coordinator types most likely. Or do they want to build it all around one guy at the middle as the head coach, which insinuates the seasoned vet coach is the more likely target, a guy like Payton or Shanny Sr. IMO Mike wants to see his kid get a head coaching gig and won't want to stand in his way, but I don't think that means he wouldn't jump on a plane and interview for the job if the Rams called him. And even though Mike Shanahan would not be an ideal hire there are reasons why it might work real well for where this roster is right now. He does have an eye for staff talent, dude hired McVay for example.

Either way I prefer Payton simply because he's more of a known quantity; I know he's a nice fit for the Rams right now. But I do realize there are many different ways this thing can go, so I have my seatbelt tightened for next week and a case of beer ready.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Martz was 53-32 and had 1 losing season which was 7-9 equaling Fishers best win total in a season for us. Fisher had 5 straight losing seasons in a row. Different situations obviously but I could understand why someone might end up wishing they had Martz back but Fisher? Yikes.
It's hard to say. Hindsight will be 20/20 of course. I doubt anyone really will wish for a return to the Fish, but... there were the Linehan and Spagnuolo years. Sometimes mediocrity is better than Clevelandocrity.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Trade same thing McD wanted to do when he got to Denver for Matt Cassel...I like JImmy Garoppolo being traded to the Bears and going back home as he attended Eastern Illinois University.
Brady was 31 then, and in the beginning of his prime. He's going to be 40 in August.
Going to cost at least 1 first rounder

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think so, a 2nd & 5th will get it done.
No way.
They spent a 2nd rounder when they drafted him.
He's certainly showed he can play in the league. To think they only pick up a residual 5th round pick? When Brady turns 40?
Not much surprises me any more, that would.
Unless Brissett is playing on some sort of crazy level we aren't aware of

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Not much surprises me any more, that would.
Unless Brissett is playing on some sort of crazy level we aren't aware of

I just don't think a team would give them a 1st round early pick, I could be wrong too, however, Garoppolo becomes a free agent in 2018 and although Brady will be 40 next year, he shows no signs of slowing down and IMO, I think they feel he's good for another 3 years so the take a 2nd and maybe a conditional pick the following year and they draft another QB to go along with Brissett, IMHO.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I agree with you.
I don't think Payton will be any better because he is clueless about defense.

I don't want to end up in a situation where we are wishing Fisher was still here bu tit is just as likely that this team is still losing 5 years from now as it is that they are perennial winners.

I don't think he's clueless, I just find it comical everyone that is on his bandwagon are the same people that bash Jeff Fisher.

Jeff Fisher had his 10 to 13 win seasons just like Asshole Face. And both had their 7 and 8 win years. I fail to see where the sudden upgrade will be if he ends up being coach. Asshole Face has one of the best QBs, while Jeff Fisher had a carousel, mostly due to injury.

The team i.e., Stan, if he's serious about winning and wants to model after the Patriots will find someone who is all football, and not just to make headlines with a name like Shanahan.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just don't think a team would give them a 1st round early pick, I could be wrong too, however, Garoppolo becomes a free agent in 2018 and although Brady will be 40 next year, he shows no signs of slowing down and IMO, I think they feel he's good for another 3 years so the take a 2nd and maybe a conditional pick the following year and they draft another QB to go along with Brissett, IMHO.
I don't see why New England would trade him for less than that. He's proven he can play at a high level. And the team that would trade for him could franchise him like Washington did

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Who in their right mind would ever be wishing that Jeff Fisher was still here? Cards, Hawks, and Niners fans? Lol
People who watched the Linnehan and Spagnulo years

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lots to have learned from it, but the same can be said for anyone that has worked under Bill. But none have come close to duplicating his success on the field. None are as shrewd with roster moves either.
That list (of Bellichik disciples that failed) is pretty darned long. Again, how to measure the "Bellichik Factor"?

Choice quote from the article:
“Kyle knows ball, but he is just so petty and he picks fights and holds grudges over small stuff,” the source said. “He’s a mountain out of a molehill guy, and he’s got entitlement syndrome. That’s why we ended up hiring all of his close friends and buddies, so no one can challenge him. But it makes you worse in the long run, because there is no accountability. Ultimately, it’s his father’s fault for pacifying his son.”
Wow... if this has any truth to it, pretty alarming. Let's face it tough, most guys who rise up to positions of power have pretty big egos and many are slightly off center (call it eccentric if you will). But still... kinda scary stuff.

As long as the same people perform the interviews and vetting as 5 years ago, I don't put much faith in that.
This is why Snead needs to go. Maybe Demoff as well. Of course, that only leaves one.. but he should have the resources to narrow things down.

I don't want to end up in a situation where we are wishing Fisher was still here
I seriously don't think we'll ever be in that situation. ;)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That list (of Bellichik disciples that failed) is pretty darned long. Again, how to measure the "Bellichik Factor"?

I think you gotta go back and look at Belichik when he was a DC. He had an ability to shut down his opponents through creative gameplanning and unpredictable playcalling, I mean that SB between the Giants and Bills was the best example of how valuable he was to Parcells staff and there are many more. Excellence in the on field product even vs top units, that was his calling card. And I think working under a leader like Parcells helped him too. BP is the kind of coach no players would consider effin with, and I believe some of that rubbed off on Belichick and made him better, it was certainly valuable.

So I'm not going to hold coaching for BB against a candidate. My coaching requirements to be considered are:

1. Edge in gameplanning as consistently demonstrated on the field while functioning at the coordinator level. This is what guys like Fish never had at the coordinator level, incidentally.

2. Leadership. The guy has to matter walking into the room. He has to have that ability to lead men. Way too many hires overlook that IMO.

From there it's about growing that head coach. And that's where Kraft made his best decision with BB, that and building everything around him. That's what we gotta do IMO. Get a guy who is a leader and who has that ability to consistently outfox his opponents, and then build it around him. Either that or build it around a GM. Who hopefully will be aware of the above.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This is why Snead needs to go. Maybe Demoff as well. Of course, that only leaves one.. but he should have the resources to narrow things down.

Snead was hired after Fisher. Fisher picked him. Snead didn't hire Fisher.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see why New England would trade him for less than that. He's proven he can play at a high level. And the team that would trade for him could franchise him like Washington did

NE might be motivated to take less because if he walks, they get a 2019 3rd instead of a 2017 2nd (at best).

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
NE might be motivated to take less because if he walks, they get a 2019 3rd instead of a 2017 2nd (at best).
Why would they let him walk when Brady is 41? I'd think they can keep him, why would he want to leave? Brady cant play forever