Report: Josh McDaniels would leave patriots for HC job

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, McDaniels wants to bring Jimmy Garoppolo with him, I thought he learned from his mistakes, tried to do that in Denver with Matt Cassel, well, I'm sure the Boston Globe is just throwing that out there because for example if McDaniels is is hired by the San Diego Chargers, they won't be trading for Garoppolo.

Some have posted on other boards that McDaniels gets frustrated when you don't pick up his scheme and he's not a teacher because he will start yelling if you can't get it. Well, being part of Training & Development at corporate level for over 20 years there are times people just don't get it. You can give them all the tools necessary and all the resources and they would just rather ask you in one form of communication or another instead of figuring it out for themselves.

I'm wiling to give McDaniels the benefit of the doubt @Mackeyser so eloquently points out that McDaniels was right about Cutler and he was, but he was wrong about Timothy Richard Tebow as well. One thing is that McDaniels did put together a good staff in Denver so there is that.

I believe Kyle Shanahan is a better option although Shanahan has never been a Head Coach, he has better experience with different players & coaches at Houston, Washington, Cleveland & Atlanta. Add in his Dad even if Mike Shanahan is not part of the Rams for someone to consult with and that is another advantage.

@Prime Time is also correct that Enos Stanley "Stan" Kroenke did embrace the Patriot Paradigm when he set up the current structure hiring Jeff Fisher, however, he might change that too because it did not work. In the end I do believe the Rams will interview McDaniels and I also think they will interview Kyle Shanahan, but keep your eye on what is developing in Baltimore because I would not be shocked after yesterday's bitter loss to the Steelers that John Harbaugh could be in play as well.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/352001/Report--McDaniels-would-leave-Pats-for-HC-job

Ben Volin of the Boston Globe expects Patriots OC Josh McDaniels to land a head coaching job this offseason.

Per Volin, McDaniels "should have his choice of jobs" and is "likely to take one." We'd agree with this assessment, though being Bill Belichick's right-hand man in Foxboro isn't a bad gig either. McDaniels will likely be considered for the Jaguars' coaching vacancy and could be a candidate in Arizona if the Cardinals decide to move on from Bruce Arians. If McDaniels does accept a job elsewhere, it's unlikely he'd bolt to one of the Patriots' rivals like the Colts or Jets. There's also a good chance that quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo would follow McDaniels to wherever he ends up coaching.
Source: Boston Globe
Either the Cardinals or The Jags would be a great fit for a McDaniels/Garoppolo combo! And their welcome to them!! I don't want either one of them!! JMO!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Well, McDaniels wants to bring Jimmy Garoppolo with him, I thought he learned from his mistakes, tried to do that in Denver with Matt Cassel, well, I'm sure the Boston Globe is just throwing that out there because for example if McDaniels is is hired by the San Diego Chargers, they won't be trading for Garoppolo.

Some have posted on other boards that McDaniels gets frustrated when you don't pick up his scheme and he's not a teacher because he will start yelling if you can't get it. Well, being part of Training & Development at corporate level for over 20 years there are times people just don't get it. You can give them all the tools necessary and all the resources and they would just rather ask you in one form of communication or another instead of figuring it out for themselves.

I'm wiling to give McDaniels the benefit of the doubt @Mackeyser so eloquently points out that McDaniels was right about Cutler and he was, but he was wrong about Timothy Richard Tebow as well. One thing is that McDaniels did put together a good staff in Denver so there is that.

I believe Kyle Shanahan is a better option although Shanahan has never been a Head Coach, he has better experience with different players & coaches at Houston, Washington, Cleveland & Atlanta. Add in his Dad even if Mike Shanahan is not part of the Rams for someone to consult with and that is another advantage.

@Prime Time is also correct that Enos Stanley "Stan" Kroenke did embrace the Patriot Paradigm when he set up the current structure hiring Jeff Fisher, however, he might change that too because it did not work. In the end I do believe the Rams will interview McDaniels and I also think they will interview Kyle Shanahan, but keep your eye on what is developing in Baltimore because I would not be shocked after yesterday's bitter loss to the Steelers that John Harbaugh could be in play as well.
I would prefer John to Jim Harbaugh any day!!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I would prefer John to Jim Harbaugh any day!!

Well, Jim will be staying at Michigan until he wins a National Title, but brother John could be in play, he currently is signed through 2018, but with the loss to the Steelers the Ravens might go in another direction and if the Ravens win next week, John Harbaugh's overall record would be 86-58 with a post season record of 10-5 and only one losing season in 2015.

FRO

Legend
Lovie won with Cutler when he built that team around the defense. That's what you do with a QB like Cutler. You don't build an offensive team. You build a team that wins with its defense. Cutler will do enough for you to average 20+ PPG.

Basically, Cutler is the perfect QB for a Jeff Fisher team. :LOL:

He'll do enough to get the offense over the hump with a lights out defense.
Cutler, Alex Smith, Bradford all are QBs that get a ton of heat but you can win with them provided the team around them is great. The amount of Aaron Rodgers/Tom Brady level QBs that come out are minuscule. The rest of the QBs need a lot of help. The Rams have failed at providing that for a decade. Goff is a good talent, but so was Bradford and we see how that turned out.

FRO

Legend
Well, Jim will be staying at Michigan until he wins a National Title, but brother John could be in play, he currently is signed through 2018, but with the loss to the Steelers the Ravens might go in another direction and if the Ravens win next week, John Harbaugh's overall record would be 86-58 with a post season record of 10-5 and only one losing season in 2015.
The Ravens would be moronic to move on. He would be a great coach to have.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
IF John is in play, Coach, would we have to compensate the Ravens with Draft Picks!? IDK!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IF John is in play, Coach, would we have to compensate the Ravens with Draft Picks!? IDK!

I believe that if the Ravens decide to go in another direction, there will be an amicable split so John Harbaugh will become a free agent and no compensation will be needed. Again this is totally speculation on my part and the Ravens had the game won yesterday if the defense could have held the Steelers with 1:05 to play and they could not.

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds, however, Harbaugh has been with the Ravens for 9 years and owner Steve Bisciotti might want to go in another direction, maybe not, but I think we'll know right after the season.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I have just as much concern with Shanny as with McDaniels. Shanny has built himself a nice resume of resentment, spurning quite a few players/assistants in Washington and then turning his back on the job in Cleveland after one year.

This one always stands out to me when talks of Kyle and Mike come up...
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/kyle-shanahan-staff-inexperience-at-core-of-redskins-dysfunction/

Choice quote from the article:
“Kyle knows ball, but he is just so petty and he picks fights and holds grudges over small stuff,” the source said. “He’s a mountain out of a molehill guy, and he’s got entitlement syndrome. That’s why we ended up hiring all of his close friends and buddies, so no one can challenge him. But it makes you worse in the long run, because there is no accountability. Ultimately, it’s his father’s fault for pacifying his son.”

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I have just as much concern with Shanny as with McDaniels. Shanny has built himself a nice resume of resentment, spurning quite a few players/assistants in Washington and then turning his back on the job in Cleveland after one year.

This one always stands out to me when talks of Kyle and Mike come up...
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/kyle-shanahan-staff-inexperience-at-core-of-redskins-dysfunction/

Choice quote from the article:
“Kyle knows ball, but he is just so petty and he picks fights and holds grudges over small stuff,” the source said. “He’s a mountain out of a molehill guy, and he’s got entitlement syndrome. That’s why we ended up hiring all of his close friends and buddies, so no one can challenge him. But it makes you worse in the long run, because there is no accountability. Ultimately, it’s his father’s fault for pacifying his son.”

Interesting.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Disagree with the Cleveland situation as he disagreed with the selection of Johnny Manziel and did not want to waste his time coaching somebody who did not want to be coached so I applaud him standing behind his belief.

The since entitlement I have not factored in, but Shanahan is a great offensive mind and has been very successful on offense maybe after the Washington debacle it might have humbled him I know it humbled Mike Shanahan.

The interviews will be very important we shall see who distinguishes himself after the first round of interviews.

Last edited:

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Disagree with the Cleveland situation as he disagreed with the selection of Johnny Manziel and did not want to waste his time coaching somebody who did not want to be coached so I applaud him standing behind his believe.

The since entitlement I have not factored in, but Shanahan is a great offensive mind and has been very successful on offense maybe after the Washington debacle it might have humbled him I know it humbled Mike Shanahan.

The interviews will be very important we shall see who distinguishes himself after the first round of interviews.
It's not as unforgiveable as say walking away from a HC position, but it definitely rubs me the wrong way. I don't view the crop of candidates as glamorously as I did a month ago, and at this point I'd almost like for them to go after a Bill Cowher or someone of that no nonsense ilk. Or Jim Bob Cooter, because Cooter.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
and at this point I'd almost like for them to go after a Bill Cowher or someone of that no nonsense ilk. Or Jim Bob Cooter, because Cooter.

Cowher is not coming back to coaching and for Jim Bob Cooter to get a Head Coaching gig, he will have to change his name....His given name is James Robert, so I would go with J.R. Cooter, although the surname Cooter could be a deterrent, J.R. is far better than Jim Bob.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/352001/Report--McDaniels-would-leave-Pats-for-HC-job

Ben Volin of the Boston Globe expects Patriots OC Josh McDaniels to land a head coaching job this offseason.

Per Volin, McDaniels "should have his choice of jobs" and is "likely to take one." We'd agree with this assessment, though being Bill Belichick's right-hand man in Foxboro isn't a bad gig either. McDaniels will likely be considered for the Jaguars' coaching vacancy and could be a candidate in Arizona if the Cardinals decide to move on from Bruce Arians. If McDaniels does accept a job elsewhere, it's unlikely he'd bolt to one of the Patriots' rivals like the Colts or Jets. There's also a good chance that quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo would follow McDaniels to wherever he ends up coaching.
Source: Boston Globe

This is a perfect example of why I hate today's media and in particular sports media.

This isn't a report, it's speculation and conjecture.

FRO

Legend
This is a perfect example of why I hate today's media and in particular sports media.

And then 5-10 other publications will regurgitate this speculation.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Pretty much. Although in this case it is likely correct. Coaches line up for jobs like the Browns for F's sake. Rams are a coveted job, I presume McDaniels agreed to interview after that game vs New England when he was seen hanging out with the Rams' brass post-game. He knew at that point that he'd have a first round bye most likely, so I expect him to be one of the first on the Rams' first week coaching interview tour.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Asshole Face is my first choice. By a large margin.

That said...if John Harbaugh becomes available... he's my second choice. THEN everyone else is a distant third.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Josh McD is my #1
Then Kyle S

I don't want to trade for a coach unless it's a conditional 7th or something like that.