Report: Josh McDaniels would leave patriots for HC job

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lockdnram21

Legend
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/352001/Report--McDaniels-would-leave-Pats-for-HC-job

Ben Volin of the Boston Globe expects Patriots OC Josh McDaniels to land a head coaching job this offseason.

Per Volin, McDaniels "should have his choice of jobs" and is "likely to take one." We'd agree with this assessment, though being Bill Belichick's right-hand man in Foxboro isn't a bad gig either. McDaniels will likely be considered for the Jaguars' coaching vacancy and could be a candidate in Arizona if the Cardinals decide to move on from Bruce Arians. If McDaniels does accept a job elsewhere, it's unlikely he'd bolt to one of the Patriots' rivals like the Colts or Jets. There's also a good chance that quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo would follow McDaniels to wherever he ends up coaching.
Source: Boston Globe

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
If Josh brings Jimmy I don't want him. Last thing Goff needs in a QB controversy coming in with a new coach.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Want nothing to do with this guy. He's the type of guy that would bench Goff for a bum like Garropolo just because he's familiar.Enjoy him Jags.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I'd definitely pass on any big name coach or player out of New England other than Belichick. The reason being, of course, is that Belichick is the best in the business. Bar none. He's what makes New England so successful. I am far from certain any Patriot player or coach would be able to replicate their success once divorced from Belichick. It'd be a huge gamble. I'd place just as good odds on the man being a flop as I would on the Rams taking after the Patriots and their ways due to the ex-Pat influence...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The Patriots have made the playoffs for 8 straight seasons. If McDaniels has been paying attention, there is something to learn from that place.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Want nothing to do with this guy. He's the type of guy that would bench Goff for a bum like Garropolo just because he's familiar.Enjoy him Jags.

I am certain that once McDaniels sits down with Jared he'd be won over. No way he'd $#!t on a QB with Goff's talent and work ethic like that. The Garoppolo storyline is east coast BS driven by their belief that he's the next great QB because the Pats took him. Guy like McDaniels does not think like the sheep in the media.

Real question with him is did he learn from his failure in Denver. If so, he has a good chance to be a great head coach in this league because he will immediately give his team a gameplanning and scheme advantage. The dude has some rare talent there.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Don't want him either but keep in mind that Kroenke is a big fan of the Patriots Robert Kraft and Bill Belichick.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
McDaniels wasn't wrong that Cutler was a coach killer, was he?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
db394de7b4d0e84d98d58498e8ddcfafd2af21fe9e8745b2c07abc3027351f85.jpg

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Patriots have made the playoffs for 8 straight seasons. If McDaniels has been paying attention, there is something to learn from that place.

Lots to have learned from it, but the same can be said for anyone that has worked under Bill. But none have come close to duplicating his success on the field. None are as shrewd with roster moves either. Much of Belichick seems not to be something that anyone can duplicate. Maybe because his brain is so big.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does this gif mean that you have grave concerns or what?

If so, what are your thoughts on Mr. McDaniels? Do you think he could fix what ails the Rams?

~ArkyRamsFan~

Yes, I have grave concerns about McDaniels. I outlined some of my concerns below in my response to Mack. Other concerns I have are his lack of flexibility with his system, our roster's poor fit for his system, and his ability to put together a staff. In regards to lack of flexibility, when he was in Denver and here, he ran his system the way he thought it should run rather than running it based on the players those teams had. And when those players didn't fit in Denver, he replaced them (often with lesser players).

Our roster is a poor fit because McDaniels values quality route runners and WRs with high IQs. He also likes his QB to take deeper drops and run longer developing routes. He'd need to significantly strengthen our OL and overhaul our WR corp to run his system. I'm actually not opposed to that. My fear is, though, that he won't be able to do it and will still insist on running his system his way.

McDaniels wasn't wrong that Cutler was a coach killer, was he?

I'd say he was. Blaine Gabbert is a coach killer. Johnny Manziel is a coach killer. RGIII is a coach killer. What I'm getting at here is that first round busts are coach killer. Bad QBs are coach killers.

Cutler isn't a coach killer. Cutler is simply average. If you accept that, you can do just fine with Cutler. If you try to build around him, you won't.

Although, when McDaniels got there, Cutler was still a young QB. The Broncos hired McDaniels specifically so he'd develop Cutler. Who knows what Cutler might have been capable of if Mike Shanahan, Kyle Shanahan, and Jeremy Bates had been the ones responsible for developing him.

My issue with McDaniels wasn't that he traded Cutler. Honestly, he got a great deal for Cutler. The Bears gave him two firsts, a third, and a capable starting QB (Kyle Orton) for Cutler and a 5th. That's a good deal.

What troubles me is that he squandered the picks he had and proved himself to be impossible to work with. He managed to tick off both Cutler and Marshall to the point where he had to trade them. And he managed to tick off his DC, Mike Nolan, to the point where Nolan left after one year.

That's very troubling for me. A coach who made a lot of bad draft decisions, pissed off his key players and assistants, and acted like an arrogant prick.

Frankly, I have strong doubts that McDaniels is capable of changing. I guess we'll find out. But this feels to me like Johnny Manziel pretending during the pre-draft process.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd say he was. Blaine Gabbert is a coach killer. Johnny Manziel is a coach killer. RGIII is a coach killer. What I'm getting at here is that first round busts are coach killer. Bad QBs are coach killers.

Cutler isn't a coach killer. Cutler is simply average. If you accept that, you can do just fine with Cutler. If you try to build around him, you won't.

Well to be fair there is no official definition of what exactly a coach killer is. So we all probably have some differing opinions on that and my own differs from yours a bit...

I see a coach killer as a guy who will never live up to his talent, a tease if you will who will hold a coach back from getting his team over the hump.

Cutler is an extremely talented passer and went as high as he did for that reason, and has benefitted from working with some good offensive minds like Shanahan, Martz, Trestman, Gase, etc. But he's never really been anything more than a complementary piece to a running game. Gase did the best job with him, but there's a reason he's not well liked around the league (lots of reported attitude and being difficult to work with).

IMO any coach who goes with Cutler is not going to get his team where he wants it to be. That road ends with a firing minus the desired achievements. I know you like JC, as we have differed on him before. But meh. Just not a fan man, can't stand the dude.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well to be fair there is no official definition of what exactly a coach killer is. So we all probably have some differing opinions on that and my own differs from yours a bit...

I see a coach killer as a guy who will never live up to his talent, a tease if you will who will hold a coach back from getting his team over the hump.

Cutler is an extremely talented passer and went as high as he did for that reason, and has benefitted from working with some good offensive minds like Shanahan, Martz, Trestman, Gase, etc. But he's never really been anything more than a complementary piece to a running game. Gase did the best job with him, but there's a reason he's not well liked around the league (lots of reported attitude and being difficult to work with).

IMO any coach who goes with Cutler is not going to get his team where he wants it to be. That road ends with a firing minus the desired achievements. I know you like JC, as we have differed on him before. But meh. Just not a fan man, can't stand the dude.

Lovie won with Cutler when he built that team around the defense. That's what you do with a QB like Cutler. You don't build an offensive team. You build a team that wins with its defense. Cutler will do enough for you to average 20+ PPG.

Basically, Cutler is the perfect QB for a Jeff Fisher team. :LOL:

He'll do enough to get the offense over the hump with a lights out defense.