LEGEND Rate the Last Film You Saw

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

what a great thread. sorry for all the quoting but i wanted to jot down my thoughts as i was reading through the thread.

no place for old men - 9/10. i was fixated on the screen for every minute of this movie. that villain was ruthless. dropped a point because i wasn't quite sure why he was killing the other bad guys half the time.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
The Martian(2015)
2/5

SPOILERS
Oh man, let me first say that i am a tough critic, especially in the sci-fi genre. I went in not knowing anything about it(which is what i like to do), no reviews, no background, i went in knowing nothing except that Matt Damon gets stranded on Mars.
The legendary Ridley Scott, have you directed anything worthy since Black Hawk Down in 2001? Saw the credits roll and just shook my head.

I love good sci-fi, i like Damon too, but this movie was like someone(Ridley) trying really hard to re-create Christopher Nolan's style....right down to the Nolan MO of creating a universe of laws, then being able to just flick a writing pen and change those laws when you need to solve problems or add more drama. Add to that the Nolan MO of characters that we're supposed to care about but don't.

The tone of The Martian didn't work for me either. What kind of story are you trying to tell? Is this Apollo 13? Cast Away? A NASA documentary on survival in the field? This was all over the place. Don't make it a HUGE point to talk about how many days in space these guys had to endure(including Damon on Mars)...and turn around and quick cut to a crew cracking bad jokes and Damon acting like he's in his basement doing live feeds for the Tonight Show on NBC.

I couldn't wait for the last 30 minutes to be over. Don't try to begin a story by laying down the tone that this is all going to be fairly scientific for intelligent audiences and then go all MacGuyver at the end to create drama and wrap it up in a nice shiny red bow.

The Damon character displayed almost zero isolation and emotional depth...until he was about to be shot up into space covered by a tarp of course. But there was still time to toss silly astronaut jokes around as the whole World watched live from Times Square. Lol.

Dull. Contrived. Unfouced storytelling.
I could go on. Go watch Moon(2009)

Gets 2 stars for visuals.
I recommend you read the book. The story behind the book is more amazing than the book itself, and the book is quite an accomplishment for a first time author.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Star Wars - the new one

4/10

WTF didn't just watch? I went the entire film hoping to see Jar Jar die and nothing

Took my boy and he wasn't impressed and said Hooper was better (we saw it yesterday at home) and the kid is 12

Storytelling no longer exists - so f'ing sad. Was hoping to be blown away but it was just a sad retread of the very first one.

JJ Abrams is it? Hilarious
Worse thing is Rian Johnson who I know is gonna direct the second one - met the guy when he was shooting Brick with this actor I knew named Noah Segan who my business partner produced a film called "quit" which never saw the light of day but the point is those guys are fucked in the head - anyway now Rian is gonna do the next Star Wars and that's beyond dark.... And the other JJ Abrams franchise Star Trek is now being directed my ex high school classmate Jeremy Lin - fucking small world - that guy shot a movie about kids we knew in high school (sunny hills high) who were all Korean honor roll students who murdered a kid and buried him alive in the back of the Taco Bell in my hometown of Buena Park - that film is okay, called "Better Luck Tomorrow"

Anyway - all my music associates are texting me as I write this to say I'm wrong, and that the new Star Wars is cool. I have to now remind them they are not 10 years old

Anyway - the best part was when the new bad guy (I guess..) killed Han Solo, I was so happy. If only they had started the movie there.,, and what is with the Deus Ex Machina when the new bad guy (I guess...) was fighting that chick with the arm wraps at the end and the ground opens up and the fight ends -- what?? Are you serious .,.
Anyway toy disappointed

What happened to Jar Jar??

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
damn straight. what is it with hollywood that they think people want to see a love interest in an action movie? they make me sick.

B/c in the Marvel Universe it's an integral part of each hero.

Thor and Jane, Iron Man and Pepper, Cap and Peggy.

But I do agree the Hulk/Widow thing is random and made no sense. Everyone thought Widow and Hawkeye were an item, but nope. They just put them together and completely deleted Betty Ross.

Angry Ram

Star Wars - the new one

4/10

WTF didn't just watch? I went the entire film hoping to see Jar Jar die and nothing

Took my boy and he wasn't impressed and said Hooper was better (we saw it yesterday at home) and the kid is 12

Storytelling no longer exists - so f'ing sad. Was hoping to be blown away but it was just a sad retread of the very first one.

JJ Abrams is it? Hilarious
Worse thing is Rian Johnson who I know is gonna direct the second one - met the guy when he was shooting Brick with this actor I knew named Noah Segan who my business partner produced a film called "quit" which never saw the light of day but the point is those guys are freaked in the head - anyway now Rian is gonna do the next Star Wars and that's beyond dark.... And the other JJ Abrams franchise Star Trek is now being directed my ex high school classmate Jeremy Lin - freaking small world - that guy shot a movie about kids we knew in high school (sunny hills high) who were all Korean honor roll students who murdered a kid and buried him alive in the back of the Taco Bell in my hometown of Buena Park - that film is okay, called "Better Luck Tomorrow"

Anyway - all my music associates are texting me as I write this to say I'm wrong, and that the new Star Wars is cool. I have to now remind them they are not 10 years old

Anyway - the best part was when the new bad guy (I guess..) killed Han Solo, I was so happy. If only they had started the movie there.,, and what is with the Deus Ex Machina when the new bad guy (I guess...) was fighting that chick with the arm wraps at the end and the ground opens up and the fight ends -- what?? Are you serious .,.
Anyway toy disappointed

What happened to Jar Jar??

I'm assuming you're being sarcastic about Jar Jar Bink (and honestly the Jar Jar jokes and hating are getting old). But he was in the prequels, which take place before the events in the 70s movies. The new one takes place after Return of the Jedi. We can assume he's dead.

I don't think it was as bad as you say, I give it a 7/10 b/c it's a well made movie but I didn't walk out of the theater thinking OMGZ BEST MOVIE EVAZ!~ It was an action movie with a Star Wars theme.

But I really liked Rey. I like heroes that aren't pussies (i.e., Tobey Maguire Spider-Man).

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I'm assuming you're being sarcastic about Jar Jar Bink (and honestly the Jar Jar jokes and hating are getting old). But he was in the prequels, which take place before the events in the 70s movies. The new one takes place after Return of the Jedi. We can assume he's dead.

I don't think it was as bad as you say, I give it a 7/10 b/c it's a well made movie but I didn't walk out of the theater thinking OMGZ BEST MOVIE EVAZ!~ It was an action movie with a Star Wars theme.

But I really liked Rey. I like heroes that aren't pussies (i.e., Tobey Maguire Spider-Man).

Yeah I liked Rey -- that actress has that Keira Knightly mouth with a little more meat on her bones which I likey! She is one of the barely redeemable moments - I wanted to wrap those arm bandages she wore constantly on her arms - I'm gonna go buy my wife some of those Jukku arms wraps then rip them off her..... Anyway, yeah that chick is HOT

image.jpg

But what's up with Han Solo not wanting to kiss Princess Leia? Maybe it's cause her mouth tastes like an ashtray and she's a far cry from her Jabba slave days?

Exhibit A:

image.jpg
image.jpg

Then there is that Darth Vader mask.... You know the one that Kylo Ren looks at for inspiration but somehow knows he's not as good at - I mean seriously? Why isn't that shriveled Darth Vader mask in the New Order Museum? Why is it in Kylo Ren's possession???? I mean poor Kylo is struggling for power on his own ship -- like those scenes where his colleague constantly shows him up and insinuates weakness to the CGI evil emperor hologram thing (something out of The Mummy flicks) -- I mean he doubts himself unlike Vader so why would HE of all people have possession of it???
Well I have my idea of why -- it's a Silver Shamrock mask straight out of Halloween 3, you know that movie "two more days to Halloween, Halloween, two more days til Halloween, silver shamrock"
so why wouldn't the new Kylo Ren have a mask on hand? They made so many and of course the Silver Shamrock conspiracy lives!!!

EXHIBIT B:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Anyway - lost track of what I was saying

Oh, they destroyed the Death Star again but only BIGGER!!

And the pilot guy, whomever he was has a "thing" going with his renegade storm trooper who he names "Finn".... Nice little leather jacket scene....

Anyway, I like how in 2009 you could have hired mark Hamel for $1200 bucks and airfare to show up for your cousins Bar Mitzvah, but in 2016 a $500 million dollar film spends 2 hours with the final reveal of OLD MARK HAMILL ... I mean is that a reveal? Mark Hamill old on a mountain is what I've just sat through 2 hours of explosions for?? What's he looking at anyway? Shouldn't he be inside by the fire - that planet looks fucking cold

It was just hilarious to see him take off his hood to reveal -- HE'S MARK FREAKIN' HAMILL!!!

EXHIBIT C -
image.jpg

I get the whole idea of trying to bring back the cantina, but to remake the entire film and rape whatever the final connection we might have had with Han Solo and Chewbaccas etc.. at the expense of creating new characters we can grow to love I mean it's a shame -- is it too much to ask ?

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W7-uC0LDllM

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
man i hope you got laid at the end of the night. if my wife told me to go and watch that with her i'd flat out refuse and tell her to watch it with her friends. not that she wanted to watch it. the ads for it looked awful. horrible. unwatchable.

Well...um... the better part of valor is discretion, but... :sneaky:(y):yess:

Angry Ram

Yeah I liked Rey -- that actress has that Keira Knightly mouth with a little more meat on her bones which I likey! She is one of the barely redeemable moments - I wanted to wrap those arm bandages she wore constantly on her arms - I'm gonna go buy my wife some of those Jukku arms wraps then rip them off her..... Anyway, yeah that chick is HOT

Daisy Ridley. She's gonna be a good one.

But what's up with Han Solo not wanting to kiss Princess Leia? Maybe it's cause her mouth tastes like an ashtray and she's a far cry from her Jabba slave days?

LOL.

Then there is that Darth Vader mask.... You know the one that Kylo Ren looks at for inspiration but somehow knows he's not as good at - I mean seriously? Why isn't that shriveled Darth Vader mask in the New Order Museum? Why is it in Kylo Ren's possession???? I mean poor Kylo is struggling for power on his own ship -- like those scenes where his colleague constantly shows him up and insinuates weakness to the CGI evil emperor hologram thing (something out of The Mummy flicks) -- I mean he doubts himself unlike Vader so why would HE of all people have possession of it???
Well I have my idea of why -- it's a Silver Shamrock mask straight out of Halloween 3, you know that movie "two more days to Halloween, Halloween, two more days til Halloween, silver shamrock"
so why wouldn't the new Kylo Ren have a mask on hand? They made so many and of course the Silver Shamrock conspiracy lives!!!

The CGI emperor is General Snoke. We don't know how he is in real life, holograms is probably how they communicate.

As to why he had Vader's old helmet, there is no explanation. That's b/c there's 2 movies and 3 spinoffs. There is a more concret reason on the internet but I don't wanna spoil it.

Oh, they destroyed the Death Star again but only BIGGER!!

And the pilot guy, whomever he was has a "thing" going with his renegade storm trooper who he names "Finn".... Nice little leather jacket scene....

Anyway, I like how in 2009 you could have hired mark Hamel for $1200 bucks and airfare to show up for your cousins Bar Mitzvah, but in 2016 a $500 million dollar film spends 2 hours with the final reveal of OLD MARK HAMILL ... I mean is that a reveal? Mark Hamill old on a mountain is what I've just sat through 2 hours of explosions for?? What's he looking at anyway? Shouldn't he be inside by the fire - that planet looks freaking cold

It was just hilarious to see him take off his hood to reveal -- HE'S MARK FREAKIN' HAMILL!!!

Pilot guy was named Poe. As far as Luke, again 2 more movies to explain the stories.

I get the whole idea of trying to bring back the cantina, but to remake the entire film and rape whatever the final connection we might have had with Han Solo and Chewbaccas etc.. at the expense of creating new characters we can grow to love I mean it's a shame -- is it too much to ask ?

Yeah but when they try to do something different like the prequels, people bitch and moan about that. It's a no win situation.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
B/c in the Marvel Universe it's an integral part of each hero.

Thor and Jane, Iron Man and Pepper, Cap and Peggy.

But I do agree the Hulk/Widow thing is random and made no sense. Everyone thought Widow and Hawkeye were an item, but nope. They just put them together and completely deleted Betty Ross.

i hate them all.

don't watch many superhero movies. those hulk widow scenes were so frustrating and irritating.

i meant generally in any action movie.

the only thing worse are the women they just throw in to be saved who act so tough and act so stupid. shining example is the bad boys movie. every scene that had that mole in it made me want to

bluecoconuts

Legend
As to why he had Vader's old helmet, there is no explanation. That's b/c there's 2 movies and 3 spinoffs. There is a more concret reason on the internet but I don't wanna spoil it.
If you pay close enough attention and use a little bit of inductive reasoning you can take a pretty close guess... It's the same reason why Luke is on the planet though, that's probably how he got his hands on it. Wouldn't have been hard really..

Yeah but when they try to do something different like the prequels, people bitch and moan about that. It's a no win situation.
From my understanding the main reason they had it so close to Episode 4 was so they could bring the story in and then start over. The story behind the prequels aren't bad, but how they did it is what made things suck.. The basics of a great story is there if they had presented it better, and had better dialog.

Angry Ram

i hate them all.

don't watch many superhero movies. those hulk widow scenes were so frustrating and irritating.

:hatin:

i meant generally in any action movie.

the only thing worse are the women they just throw in to be saved who act so tough and act so stupid. shining example is the bad boys movie. every scene that had that mole in it made me want to

Pacific Rim? Transformers 1 and 2 (yes I know they weren't good movies)?, The Amazing Spider-Man? The hero movies I mentioned didn't really have their girls needing "saving" either. Except for Pepper, and I can't stand that character or Gwyenth Paltrow.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
:hatin:

Pacific Rim? Transformers 1 and 2 (yes I know they weren't good movies)?, The Amazing Spider-Man? The hero movies I mentioned didn't really have their girls needing "saving" either. Except for Pepper, and I can't stand that character or Gwyenth Paltrow.

I don't hate superhero movies. They just all seem the same.

I liked the avengers movies. And the iron man movies. I watched the Sam ramai spidermans which were ok. All the xmen movies but they're a little different than your normal superhero movie.

No desire to watch the latest superman or spiderman movies. Thor, nah. Captain America, nah. Can't do it.

The watchmen and kick ass were good.

So it's not like i don't watch any of them.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa

I liked the avengers movies. And the iron man movies. I watched the Sam ramai spidermans which were ok. All the xmen movies but they're a little different than your normal superhero movie.

No desire to watch the latest superman or spiderman movies. Thor, nah. Captain America, nah. Can't do it.

You should check out Captain America: The Winter Soldier , easily my favorite Super Hero movie , but Super Hero movie or not , this is just a very good movie , it has kind of a 70's spy thriller vibe to it

Angry Ram

I was joking yo.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Deadpool

8/10

First I should mention I had some reservations going into this film because I've never been much of a Ryan Reynolds fan...................in anything he's done ,

So I needed to get past that first , and then I'll admit I was a little worried about the R Rating , not that I have anything against R rated films , it's just that they fought so hard to get the R rating , I thought maybe they would end up going a little overboard with it, now , just because they could , and it would just become repetitive

But................

It turned out pretty good

Most everything I read on line said it was good , pretty much all my friends had already seen it , and loved it , so the wife and I finally got around to seeing it, we went with a couple friends , who had already seen it once and liked it enough to want to see it again , but again , it would all come down to if I could handle Ryan Reynolds for two hour , a lot of people think he's funny , I just find him annoying , and to be honest , I was actually looking forward more to seeing Colossus more then Deadpool himself , Colossus was always one of my favorite X-Men when I was a kid , and had been totally disappointed with earlier versions of him the prior X-Men movies , so I loved that they finally got him right , although he's a little older version then what I remember as a kid

The movie turned out to be pretty good , and funny , it's fun when you sit in a packed movie theatre ,and you hear the whole audience laughing and stuff at the same time , and as far as the R rating , not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be it was even toned down to what I was expecting , it was well done , loved the humor , the movie really made fun of it's self , without being silly

One of the lines I liked was when Deadpool goes to the X-Men Mansion , and there were only two people there , being Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead , and Deadpool says something like , The Mansion being such a huge house , and there wasn't anyone else home , it's like they could only afford two X-Men , which was him making fun of the films lower budget , compared to other Super Hero movies , but there are a whole bunch of jokes like that throughout the film , some you might catch , or might not catch ,

There was nothing new with the story / plot , boy meets girl , boy has to save girl , ................we've all been there , but I don't mind the story as long as it's well done , and this one is done pretty good

So over all , as far as Super Hero movies go . this is one of the better ones , you could tell the people who made the movie really wanted to stay close to it's source material , and this movie does a lot better job at that then most , but Colossus was still my favorite part of the movie , (y)

Deadpool-and-Colossus-1-e1450903880598.jpg

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall

Man, I thought I was the only one. Every time Hollywood spends £200 million on a 'new' superhero movie I die a little inside. What happened to the days when film was creative? It's all the same now. I flat out refuse to watch them now, the only one I ever saw that I actually enjoyed was Watchmen.

'Pop' music is the same, music that is popular today is chronic. Like film, there is really great stuff out there, but I wish it was more accessible.

TV is actually the only medium that has the balance right at the minute. IMO, of course.

Anyway, back to movies. I have an unlimited card for the cinema so I see probably 3 new movies a week. Seen lots good and lots bad recently, but nothing has come close to 'Room'. Just a wonderful, wonderful movie. Thoroughly recommend it. I won't say too much because it's one of those you need to see and decide on for yourself, but I came out of it with a fresh perspective. One of those films that 'stays with you', if you know what I mean.

Ramfansince79

Rookie
Name
Ramsfan79
Maybe I was just in a bad mood, but the new Mad Max movie was perhaps the all time dumbest movie I've ever seen.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Black Mass

Got good ratings. Was a little slow for me.

6/10.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Saw The Lady In The Van today. Didn't expect to like it, and it started off slowly. But the performances were awesome, and as the movie moved on it both got laughter and even a few tears. Maggie Smith was amazing in it. 4 stars out of 5. Definitely a British dramedy though.