Rapoport: Indications Are Fisher/Snead Safe For 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Really? A coach telling his OC to run the ball when he has a big lead tells you that? So then by that criteria I guess virtually every coach is the same.

Yea because every coach decides to take his foot off the gas when they're leading going into the 4th. Like Bill Belichick, I'm sure he tells Josh McDaniels to stop letting Brady throw the ball.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yea because every coach decides to take his foot off the gas when they're leading going into the 4th. Like Bill Belichick, I'm sure he tells Josh McDaniels to stop letting Brady throw the ball.
If we had a QB with the experience and abilities of Brady, I'm sure he wouldn't tell him not to pass either. As it is, Bellyfat no doubt does tell McD to do certain things in certain situations. Most head coaches do.

Alan

Legend
Abysmal decisions by Fish at the end of the half and late in the game. Not the first time either.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we had a QB with the experience and abilities of Brady, I'm sure he wouldn't tell him not to pass either. As it is, Bellyfat no doubt does tell McD to do certain things in certain situations. Most head coaches do.

Most Head Coaches don't go into conservative mode like Jeff Fisher. Here is some data that supports my point:
1. The Rams have the second highest run % at 67.8% when leading in the 2nd half by a TD or more since 2012 when Fisher took over. The Jets are the only team with a higher run % at 69.9%. The NFL average is 60%.
2. Over that same span of time (since 2012), the Rams have the fifth lowest yards per play when leading by a TD or more in the second half.
3. Over the same span, the Rams have the lowest first down % when leading by a TD or more in the second half.
4. I guess the good news is that the Rams also have the 3rd lowest turnover % at 1.0% over that span of time in those same conditions.
It gets better though...
5. The Rams have the HIGHEST run % at 82.8% when leading in the 4th quarter by a TD or more since 2012. We barely edge out the Jets at 81.2%. The NFL average is 69.8%.
6. Over that span of time in that same situation (4th quarter leading by a TD or more), the Rams are 11th worst in yards per play.
7. Over that span of time in that same situation, the Rams are second to last in first down %.

Now, I recognize that our QB issues factor into this. But Fisher is super conservative when he has a lead. We all know this. It's not the OC doing it. It's Fisher making the call. And no, I don't think every other coach does the same thing. I don't think every other coach tells his OC that they're going to stop passing when they have the lead in the 2nd half/4th quarter.

And guess what this leads to? Being terrible at picking up first downs and sustaining drives.

Like I said, if Fisher wants to attract a great OC, he needs to cut the strings and give his OC the power to do his job.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Fisher's the HC. I don't get why he's not supposed to be responsible for bad players and bad coaches. That's his job, to be responsible for them. So it doesn't really matter why his team is guaranteed a fourth non winning season, it only matters that it is. These offensive issues have been here for a while. And it's not like he's a rookie coach, feeling his way around. He's made no secret that this is the team and the type of players he wants. He's 26-35-1. It's his salary and relocation, not his actual performance, that is going to keep his job. Strangely opposite of every other occupation if you think about it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Perhaps he doesn't give them the freedom to do their job? Clamping down on Boras and mandating runs in the final 20 minutes of the Buc game is an excellent example.

Think we're gonna have to disagree here 43. I put a lot of blame on Fish for the hires and the lack of wins in season 4, which is enough. Not going to criticize him and act like it's a big deal that he had the team go conservative when it was a winning strategy.

That type of stuff is all over the internet, particularly on some other Rams sites, so the good thing is a lot of folks are gonna agree with you though.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Most Head Coaches don't go into conservative mode like Jeff Fisher. Here is some data that supports my point:
1. The Rams have the second highest run % at 67.8% when leading in the 2nd half by a TD or more since 2012 when Fisher took over. The Jets are the only team with a higher run % at 69.9%. The NFL average is 60%.
2. Over that same span of time (since 2012), the Rams have the fifth lowest yards per play when leading by a TD or more in the second half.
3. Over the same span, the Rams have the lowest first down % when leading by a TD or more in the second half.
4. I guess the good news is that the Rams also have the 3rd lowest turnover % at 1.0% over that span of time in those same conditions.
It gets better though...
5. The Rams have the HIGHEST run % at 82.8% when leading in the 4th quarter by a TD or more since 2012. We barely edge out the Jets at 81.2%. The NFL average is 69.8%.
6. Over that span of time in that same situation (4th quarter leading by a TD or more), the Rams are 11th worst in yards per play.
7. Over that span of time in that same situation, the Rams are second to last in first down %.

Now, I recognize that our QB issues factor into this. But Fisher is super conservative when he has a lead. We all know this. It's not the OC doing it. It's Fisher making the call. And no, I don't think every other coach does the same thing. I don't think every other coach tells his OC that they're going to stop passing when they have the lead in the 2nd half/4th quarter.

And guess what this leads to? Being terrible at picking up first downs and sustaining drives.

Like I said, if Fisher wants to attract a great OC, he needs to cut the strings and give his OC the power to do his job.
And you don't think not having a qb that could hit the broad side of a barn has anything to do with that?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Fisher's the HC. I don't get why he's not supposed to be responsible for bad players and bad coaches. That's his job, to be responsible for them. So it doesn't really matter why his team is guaranteed a fourth non winning season, it only matters that it is. These offensive issues have been here for a while. And it's not like he's a rookie coach, feeling his way around. He's made no secret that this is the team and the type of players he wants. He's 26-35-1. It's his salary and relocation, not his actual performance, that is going to keep his job. Strangely opposite of every other occupation if you think about it.
Is he getting a pass for the players?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And you don't think not having a qb that could hit the broad side of a barn has anything to do with that?

Already brought that up. It factors in but it's not THE reason why. In 2012, Sam Bradford started all 16 games. What were our run/pass percentages in those situations?
2nd half leading by a TD or more - 68.3% run
4th quarter leading by a TD or more - 86.7% run

That's actually worse than our overall totals since 2012 when we had a QB.

It's Jeff Fisher.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It gets better though...

Did you by chance look up what his record is when leading after 3 quarters? Honest question, and I ask it because I seem to remember that being a positive for him goin by memory.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did you by chance look up what his record is when leading after 3 quarters? Honest question, and I ask it because I seem to remember that being a positive for him goin by memory.

No clue what it is. But I'd expect most coaches have a pretty strong record when leading after 3 quarters.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No clue what it is. But I'd expect most coaches have a pretty strong record when leading after 3 quarters.

But that's the thing brother... If we're gonna criticize the guy for runnin the ball more than anyone else it doesn't mean anything unless it translates to a higher loss percentage than his peers.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
So if he has a pretty strong record with this philosophy what exactly is the problem?????o_O

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But that's the thing brother... If we're gonna criticize the guy for runnin the ball more than anyone else it doesn't mean anything unless it translates to a higher loss percentage than his peers.

I don't have the percentages. If you have them, they'd be appreciated. Otherwise, I don't know how he stacks up to his peers.

What I do know is that we're among the worst at picking up first downs which puts a lot of pressure on the defense.

So if he has a pretty strong record with this philosophy what exactly is the problem?????o_O

I don't know. Maybe the fact that the good OCs all turned him down this off-season.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don't have the percentages. If you have them, they'd be appreciated. Otherwise, I don't know how he stacks up to his peers.

What I do know is that we're among the worst at picking up first downs which puts a lot of pressure on the defense.

I don't know. Maybe the fact that the good OCs all turned him down this off-season.
It would be interesting to see if they made offers to anyone else or if anyone declined offers for interviews.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Is he getting a pass for the players?

Well yes.

This right here is a pass IMO. He's got the say regarding players, not Snead. If he doesn't have a QB, and he doesn't have an OC, who else can we point to but the guy responsible for both? It's year 4, second franchise, over twenty years as a coach. How does a guy with that many contacts have a first year rookie OC who wasn't impressing anyone in his previous job as QB coach? I get he's had bad luck with Bradford. But that's the job.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It would be interesting to see if they made offers to anyone else or if anyone declined offers for interviews.

They tried to go after Gase and Chudzinski. Neither were interested. We don't know who else they pursued.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

I really do think a VERY large portion of his lack of success is related to the QB issue. Having said that...I will make two points...

1. Some would say...yea, well, that's his fault. However, I think, even in hindsight (which we all have the benefit of), his only real option was to snag David Carr in round 2 a couple years ago. Bradford cost him 2 years. Seriously...2 years of mediocrity thanks to the talented but fragile #8. "Well, he went for Foles...that was his call." Because there were tons of other options? Hell, ANY other options. Now signing Nick to a longer deal sure is an indictment.

2. I want to be clear that I am not pleased with Fisher myself. I think I am objective enough to see how he has been handicapped by circumstances beyond his control. But I am also critical of him. I had a real hard time during that 5 game skid. And not just because we lost 5 in a row but how we lost them. Especially the three losses to start it out.

Vikings: Out-Coached by Zimmer and Turner. We had some key guys that were out injured...sure. But we got out-coached. The Rams were very undisciplined. Came off a 2 game home win streak. That was a HUGE game. The team was not prepared and played poorly. Reaked of bad coaching.

Bears: Came back home after a disappointing lost and got absolutely destroyed by the Bears. It wasn't even a game. Fox and Gase made Fisher look like other coaches made Spags and Linehan look. That's what that game reminded me of. Again they were really out-coached. He even admitted as much in his pressers.

Baltimore: Really? Baltimore? Really? It was very clear the Harbaugh was the better Coach in that game. Even in Baltimore we should have won that game by a TD.

Now I'm all for calling out players and their lack of execution...and there's been a lot of that. Foles. But there have been a handful of times other coaches have bested him. And that stretch above...two against bad teams... when we had momentum and a winning record and we got beat. HE got beat. I really soured on him during that stretch. Can't get that out of my head.

That being said...I'm still on board with keeping him. This team is real close. Assuming we can keep our core players (JJ, Tru, Brockers, Ogletree, Austin, Gurley, Donald), we are a QB away. He has made a lot of strides with this team. He really has. Unfortunately...not in the Wins column.
Good post as usual @Rainram