Rapoport: Indications Are Fisher/Snead Safe For 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
We know of at least two teams willing to buy.(Philly and Cleveland)
Cleveland AFTER the 2nd ACL? I hadn't heard that. What were they willing to give up?

Gase was willing to interview for other jobs.
Such as... I don't believe he ever interviewed with anyone for an OC position. I thought there was talk of Detroit but I don't think it ever happened. I'm sure he was a candidate with Denver but don't even know that happened. I don't think it did.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That doesn't mean anything. Coordinators talk to other coaches all the time and often take a pass on the gig.
Even Schottenheimer was interviewing for other jobs while he was OC here.
Bottom line was, Gase wanted to follow John Fox to Chicago.

We wanted to interview him. He refused. But he was willing to interview for the same positions with the Jaguars and Ravens. That speaks volumes.

Cleveland AFTER the 2nd ACL? I hadn't heard that. What were they willing to give up?

Such as... I don't believe he ever interviewed with anyone for an OC position. I thought there was talk of Detroit but I don't think it ever happened. I'm sure he was a candidate with Denver but don't even know that happened. I don't think it did.

Browns offered a first to us. We took the Philly deal.

Gase interviewed for the Jaguars and Ravens OC positions. In addition to interviewing for the Broncos and 49ers HC jobs.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
We wanted to interview him. He refused. But he was willing to interview for the same positions with the Jaguars and Ravens. That speaks volumes.
He refused the Ravens and Jaguars too.
So that speaks volumes about his affinity for John Fox.
This narrative for which you're trying to provide proof is falling flat, man.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
The Browns offered us a first for Bradford.

Yes, Glennon and Fitz were options.(well, Glennon likely was an option) We trade Bradford to Philly or Cleveland and then make a trade for Fitz or Glennon.

I'm not so sure that players are available to every team on the same level. Some front office people just will not deal with others. Not necessarily within their divisions either.

Unfortunately we will never get to know what happened in the negotiations, who they talked to and who was or was not will to listen to any trade scenarios. Even the bits and pieces we do hear are probably not full details.

It would be great to get to see and hear how it all works but I just don't think we as fans will ever get that detailed look

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Chud chose to be a position coach rather than the Rams OC. And I didn't stretch any facts. His contract expired. The Colts couldn't keep him from interviewing. He chose not to.
Since when is Assistant HC and Interim OC a position coach? Chud took a position that not only gave him greater latitude with the team but apparently a sizeable pay raise and a potential move to OC/HC status (which he now has BTW). The Colts did indeed block him from being interviewed with the Whiners and us and apparently discouraged other teams from publicly asking for interviews. The guy was under contract to the Colts the entire time. So you can say he had a week left on his contract but it was clear that the Colts wanted uninterrupted negotiations in their attempts to retain him.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/27/colts-hang-onto-rob-chudzinski-with-a-new-title/

As I said, he was willing to interview for other jobs before choosing to go with Fox.
What other jobs? If you are going to lay this at the feet of Fisher and say it was because he specifically didn't want to work for Fisher then you have to have other jobs he was at least set to interview for. There were quite a few of them available.

If he never interviewed with anyone else, which I believe is the case, saying he was open to it is nothing more than either contract negotiation tactics or something not really based in fact. Again - what would have made the most rumblings would have been if he actually did interview after Fox asked him to come with him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He refused the Ravens and Jaguars too.
So that speaks volumes about his affinity for John Fox.
This narrative for which you're trying to provide proof is falling flat, man.

He "refused" the Jaguars and Ravens AFTER interviewing. He refused to even interview here.

The narrative isn't falling flat. You're intent on ignoring it. It would be one thing if he interviewed here and chose the Bears. But it's another when he's willing to interview for other OC jobs but refused to interview with us. Especially when Chud also refused to interview with us.

What outside candidates did we even interview?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Since when is Assistant HC and Interim OC a position coach? Chud took a position that not only gave him greater latitude with the team but apparently a sizeable pay raise and a potential move to OC/HC status (which he now has BTW). The Colts did indeed block him from being interviewed with the Whiners and us and apparently discouraged other teams from publicly asking for interviews. The guy was under contract to the Colts the entire time. So you can say he had a week left on his contract but it was clear that the Colts wanted uninterrupted negotiations in their attempts to retain him.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/27/colts-hang-onto-rob-chudzinski-with-a-new-title/

What other jobs? If you are going to lay this at the feet of Fisher and say it was because he specifically didn't want to work for Fisher then you have to have other jobs he was at least set to interview for. There were quite a few of them available.

If he never interviewed with anyone else, which I believe is the case, saying he was open to it is nothing more than either contract negotiation tactics or something not really based in fact. Again - what would have made the most rumblings would have been if he actually did interview after Fox asked him to come with him.
He was not interim OC coming into the season. He was a position coach coming into the season. Assistant Head Coach is a meaningless title. Just an ego boost.

The Colts can't block a person from interviewing when they're not under contract. Chudzinski chose to sign back on to be a position coach rather than our OC.

Already stated what jobs he interviewed for. He interviewed for the Jaguars and Ravens OC job and the 49ers and Broncos HC jobs.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He "refused" the Jaguars and Ravens AFTER interviewing. He refused to even interview here.

The narrative isn't falling flat. You're intent on ignoring it. It would be one thing if he interviewed here and chose the Bears. But it's another when he's willing to interview for other OC jobs but refused to interview with us. Especially when Chud also refused to interview with us.

What outside candidates did we even interview?
He spoke with Fisher on the phone a few times according to Wagoner. And Fisher was interested in speaking to him further before he decided to stay with John Fox, also per Wagoner. Gase didn't take the Browns Job, the 49ers Job, the Falcons job, the Jaguars job or the Rams job. Passed them all up in favor of staying with John Fox. That's really all there is to it. It says absolutely nothing about how Fisher is perceived by other coaching candidates. That's a narrative you've made up and are trying to fortify with speculation. It just doesn't hold up.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Browns offered a first to us. We took the Philly deal.
And Sam nixed the idea apparently telling the Rams he would not sign a new contract with the Browns. That ended the talks.

I see what you are talking about with Gase and his interviews with the Jags and Ravens. The HC positions is a no brainer. Of course he is going to interview for them. Now the other OC jobs, are interesting. Not saying this is the reasoning but both do have what most would consider franchise QBs. I still don't see that as an indictment. He had some teams he was interested in. The job had to be better than his gig in Chicago. They weren't. Other than that he was passed on for two HC gigs - including the Whiners. Now that might be viewed as an indictment on his abilities if one were to choose that direction.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The Colts can't block a person from interviewing when they're not under contract. Chudzinski chose to sign back on to be a position coach rather than our OC.
What position did he coach?
Rob Chudzinski enters his second year with the Indianapolis Colts and first as associate head coach. He served as special assistant to the head coach in 2014. Chudzinski provides input on both sides of the ball along with assisting Head Coach Chuck Pagano. He also helps with game management and handles special projects. Chudzinski holds 21 years of coaching experience, including the previous 11 seasons in the NFL.

You can say it was a BS position but it sure appears to have a broader overview of team functions.

And when was he released from his contract with the Colts? They couldn't prevent him from interviewing for a HC position per NFL rules but how do you figure they couldn't prevent him from interviewing for an OC position? If he was under contract, they could certainly prevent him from interviewing elsewhere and that is what all reports I have read indicate they did while they worked on a deal to retain him.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
You do? Seriously? Would you listen to the fans tell you how to do your job if you were an NFL HC?

The best way for a HC to get a seat with the fans is to listen to them.
I was joking. Didn't think it needed blue. About jerry posting, wasn't joking about that.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What position did he coach?

IIRC, he was assistant to the head coach before they gave him the new title. So not a specific position...more like an offensive consultant role.(although, assistant to the head coach has some other administrative roles)

You can say it was a BS position but it sure appears to have a broader overview of team functions.

And when was he released from his contract with the Colts? They couldn't prevent him from interviewing for a HC position per NFL rules but how do you figure they couldn't prevent him from interviewing for an OC position? If he was under contract, they could certainly prevent him from interviewing elsewhere and that is what all reports I have read indicate they did while they worked on a deal to retain him.

As I recall, his contract expired on the 26th. His new contract was announced on the 26th or 27th. Had he wanted to interview with the Rams, there was nothing the Colts could have done. He could have just not signed the new contract and interviewed for the Rams position since his prior contract expired.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I very much recall Chud being blocked from interviews with the Rams and the 49ers. The Colts blocked for as long as they could until his contract expired and obviously worked out a deal with him. It was only one year from what I recall though. So in the context of replacing Fisher, I believe he would be a HC option?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He spoke with Fisher on the phone a few times according to Wagoner. And Fisher was interested in speaking to him further before he decided to stay with John Fox, also per Wagoner. Gase didn't take the Browns Job, the 49ers Job, the Falcons job, the Jaguars job or the Rams job. Passed them all up in favor of staying with John Fox. That's really all there is to it. It says absolutely nothing about how Fisher is perceived by other coaching candidates. That's a narrative you've made up and are trying to fortify with speculation. It just doesn't hold up.

That's your interpretation. Mine is that he seriously considered other jobs. He didn't seriously consider the Rams job.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That's your interpretation. Mine is that he seriously considered other jobs. He didn't seriously consider the Rams job.
Okay, let's assume that's true, and that he didn't also *not* consider other jobs.
How does that equate to him not wanting to work for Fisher specifically?

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I very much recall Chud being blocked from interviews with the Rams and the 49ers. The Colts blocked for as long as they could until his contract expired and obviously worked out a deal with him. It was only one year from what I recall though. So in the context of replacing Fisher, I believe he would be a HC option?
No way, it's obvious that Irsay and pissy Grigsy want Chud to be the next head coach and Pagano on the fastest train out of Indianapolis. I doubt he leaves.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
No way, it's obvious that Irsay and pissy Grigsy want Chud to be the next head coach and Pagano on the fastest train out of Indianapolis. I doubt he leaves.
You are probably right.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I don't know, I think it says more that we wanted those guys, and not because we wanted them here to suffocate them. I'm sure our QB situation, at the time, had something to do with it, as well as wanting to stick with coaches that they were familiar with.

Spags did, actively, stifle our OC's. I showed proof on several occasions, while it happened. Fisher, IMO, has a philosophy, but those are two very different things. If Foles would have played better, and not God awful, I'm not sure we'd be having this conversation, at all.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Okay, let's assume that's true, and that he didn't also *not* consider other jobs.
How does that equate to him not wanting to work for Fisher specifically?

It doesn't. Could have simply been the terrible QB situation. But it seems a bit odd that the outside candidates the Rams went after weren't interested. Just playing a game of connect the dots. I think there were multiple reasons why they weren't interested...but I think one reason was Jeff Fisher. How do I know? I don't. I can't prove it. Doesn't mean I'm wrong, though.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I can't prove it. Doesn't mean I'm wrong, though.
Nope. It surely doesn't.
I just wanted to clarify that this is a narrative and not a fact.

And like Stu said, he turned down a few head coaching jobs as well. If he's looking for the perfect situation, he might be disappointed.