Rams waive RB Daryl Richardson & DT Jermelle Cudjo

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't expect a signing now, but you never know.

More than likely; something at the June cuts.

A55VA6

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Second rounder, bud. Thats a tough pill to swallow so early. Rich was like... 6th? Way more excusable.

Do we carry over 4 RB's?
7th round. Definitely not going to get anything for D-Rich so they felt they had to cut him. Pead can at least contribute on special teams, Richardson never did.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
IMO, Cudjo makes sense. As far as Pead, unless he has a spectacular camp he is gone.

AnarchyRam

Rookie
Cunningham was okay, but booth pead and richardson arent anything special. Stacy, Mason and Cunningham is potentially a good backfeld imo.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Yeah, I guess this was a sensible move because we were accumulating too many RBs. Stacy and Mason are going to get feed the rock with Cunningham as insurance so any more than that is a waste of a spot on the roster. I would imagine Pead would be cut soon too for a player who contributes on special teams as well as offense or defense unless the title of second round pick is still too painful to release. I see Austin Davis being dropped as well.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Doesn't shock me about Richardson, he doesn't bring anything to the table except a chance of pace guy, and we just drafted an improvement there. Pead plays ST and can pass protect. He's still probably on the outside looking in though.

RamBill

Legend
Rams release Cudjo, Richardson
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/8544/rams-release-cudjo-richardson

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams did a little roster housekeeping Thursday afternoon, parting ways with four players, including a pair who have contributed at various points in the past.

Running back Daryl Richardson, defensive tackle Jermelle Cudjo and offensive linemen Graham Pocic and Emmanuel McCray all appeared on the NFL's transaction wire Thursday. Richardson, Pocic and McCray were designated under normal waivers while Cudjo qualifies as "termination of a vested veteran."

Of the quartet, it's Richardson that is probably the most well-known. He appeared to have the makings of a late-round gem as a rookie in 2012 when he rushed for 475 yards and averaged 4.8 yards per carry in a backup role to Steven Jackson.

Richardson won the starting job as Jackson's replacement in training camp but suffered a toe injury against Arizona in the opener and never was able to get back on track. He finished with 215 yards and an average of 3.1 yards per attempt while playing in just eight games.

In an ideal world, Richardson could have worked as a change-of-pace back with limited carries but his inability to make defenders miss in the open field or break tackles made him less than ideal as an every down back. He was scheduled to make $581,474 and his release will save the Rams $558,526 in cap space (which is really negligible in grand scheme of things).

Cudjo was the lone defensive tackle on the roster who was a holdover from the previous regime. He originally made the team as an undrafted free agent out of Central Oklahoma in 2010 and lasted four seasons as a backup inside. He posted 81 tackles with a sack and a half in 38 games.

The Rams thought enough of Cudjo's performance in 2012 to give him a two-year contract extension which included a $350,000 signing bonus. His cap number for 2014 was scheduled to be $1.075 million and his release saves the Rams $900,000.

For Richardson and Cudjo, the writing was on the wall after the draft. St. Louis spent a third-round pick on running back Tre Mason and used the 13th overall pick on defensive tackle Aaron Donald, making it unlikely either player would make the roster. Instead of waiting until camp, the Rams chose to make the moves now.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dawg Pound perfect fit (name wise) for Cudjo. Thanks for your services. Best of luck going forward.

RamBill

Legend

Rams cut RB Richardson, DT Cudjo

• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_ab67bbc8-f75a-52af-830b-04154e0b6283.html

From Rams Park on Thursday comes yet another compelling example of why NFL stands for Not For Long.

Nine months ago, second-year running back Daryl Richardson was named the opening day starter for the Rams late in training camp in their first year without Steven Jackson.

Richardson won't get a third-year, at least not in St. Louis. The Rams released Richardson, a day in which they also released backup defensive tackle Jermelle Cudjo, offensive lineman Graham Pocic, and offensive tackle Emmanuel McCray.

McCray, from the University of Mississippi, had just signed with the team as an undrafted free agent earlier this week. Pocic was placed on injured reserve at the end of training camp last summer because of a shoulder/labrum injury.

After an impressive rookie year, in which Richardson gained 475 yards and averaged 4.8 yards per carry, the seventh-rounder from Abilene Christian looked like a late-round steal. But he suffered a turf toe injury in the 2013 season-opener against Arizona and struggled with the injury all season. He ended up with only 215 yards rushing (and a 3.1 average) in '13, playing in just eight games with three starts.

Once the Rams drafted Auburn's Tre Mason in the third round last week, it became obvious that either Richardson or 2012 second-rounder Isaiah Pead would have to go. That question was answered Thursday.

Cudjo, who has been with the Rams since 2010, had his best season in 2012 when he registered 39 tackles and a sack and started four games. But he suffered a stress fracture in his foot last offseason and began training camp on the active/PUP list. Perhaps because of the late start, he didn't play as well last season.

Cudjo had signed a two-year, $1.8 million contract in March 2013 that included a $350 signing bonus. The Rams will have to eat half of that signing bonus as dead money. But Cudjo was due a $900,000 base salary this year, which now becomes cap savings.

With Thursday's moves, the Rams now have 86 players on their roster or four under the offseason roster limit.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Ram-dom thoughts...

Conrath converted to tight end and Cudjo released.. hmmmm have to think the Rams are making every effort to keep Sam on the team... good for ratings, revenue, and PR

The legend of Pead still lives on.. How this guy has not been axed is beyond me. Like I've mentioned in this forum and others (RealRamsFans), I had a buddy I got to know real well who played for the Rams a bit a couple of seasons ago who gave me some real good insight on some of the guys, and let's just say Pead had a lot of growing up to do regarding his activities outside of football. Add Quick to that conversation too. I know these two are heavily scrutinized among the Ram forum community and many won't believe my sentiments, but it's not a coincidence that these two are constantly picked on. They both are buddy buddy and have some growing u to do. My buddy did say though that Quick does put in a lot of effort and really wants to be great, so maybe Softli's report about him just not putting it together (a bit slow between the ears) may have some merit. All talent and no brain can be frustrating to waiting on.

...Richardson's cut is a bit of an upset, but I think that turf toe he suffered early on in his career has really set him back.. If my memory serves me correctly Isaac Bruce said it was one of the worst injuries to deal with and it never fully went away after he suffered a similar injury...

Dear god please let Robinson get his #73 back.. He just looks so badass in that jersey number.. 79 brings back awful memories of Tony Richardson...

The fact that Fisher has been saying all offseason long that he'll be bringing back a vet like Dahl seems to be a real possibility with these recent cuts..

I hope the silent rumors of Wells been axed are true. Too much money being committed to a mediocre, injury-plagued center. Time for Jones to stp up and take the job. I think Wells stick through the offseason programs for no other reason than the fact that we can keep him late into preaseason(if I'm not mistaken) without any cap ramifications. Whether we cut him now or later in August, we'd save the same amount of money so maybe they kee him around as a body...

/End rant:hijack::hijack:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Ram-dom thoughts...

Conrath converted to tight end and Cudjo released.. hmmmm have to think the Rams are making every effort to keep Sam on the team... good for ratings, revenue, and PR

The legend of Pead still lives on.. How this guy has not been axed is beyond me. Like I've mentioned in this forum and others (RealRamsFans), I had a buddy I got to know real well who played for the Rams a bit a couple of seasons ago who gave me some real good insight on some of the guys, and let's just say Pead had a lot of growing up to do regarding his activities outside of football. Add Quick to that conversation too. I know these two are heavily scrutinized among the Ram forum community and many won't believe my sentiments, but it's not a coincidence that these two are constantly picked on. They both are buddy buddy and have some growing u to do. My buddy did say though that Quick does put in a lot of effort and really wants to be great, so maybe Softli's report about him just not putting it together (a bit slow between the ears) may have some merit. All talent and no brain can be frustrating to waiting on.

...Richardson's cut is a bit of an upset, but I think that turf toe he suffered early on in his career has really set him back.. If my memory serves me correctly Isaac Bruce said it was one of the worst injuries to deal with and it never fully went away after he suffered a similar injury...

Dear god please let Robinson get his #73 back.. He just looks so badass in that jersey number.. 79 brings back awful memories of Tony Richardson...

The fact that Fisher has been saying all offseason long that he'll be bringing back a vet like Dahl seems to be a real possibility with these recent cuts..

I hope the silent rumors of Wells been axed are true. Too much money being committed to a mediocre, injury-plagued center. Time for Jones to stp up and take the job. I think Wells stick through the offseason programs for no other reason than the fact that we can keep him late into preaseason(if I'm not mistaken) without any cap ramifications. Whether we cut him now or later in August, we'd save the same amount of money so maybe they kee him around as a body...

/End rant:hijack::hijack:

Mason Brodine was the defensive lineman who was converted to tight end. Conrath will battle it out with Carrington for the final defensive tackle slot.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Mason Brodine was the defensive lineman who was converted to tight end. Conrath will battle it out with Carrington for the final defensive tackle slot.

Ahhhh yes, you are correct my friend. Good call!! In any case, the release of Cudjo I think opens it for Sam to stick around..

fearsomefour

Legend
I don't like seeing Cudjo go although it makes sense. I like the underdogs who contribute. He is a solid run stuffing DT when healthy. He will land somewhere.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Cudjo will definitely get another gig... well they both will but I really liked Cudjo
And who didn't like the name alone. Yeah - I really liked him too. So now I guess I will not say who else I like.o_O