1. To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams waive RB Daryl Richardson & DT Jermelle Cudjo

Discussion in 'RAMS - NFL TALK' started by A55VA6, May 15, 2014.

1. Sum1 Well-Known Member

You did or didn't think he was making the roster?

I pretty much knew both Cudjo and Conrath were gone once Carrington was signed and Donald was drafted.
    Conrath probably sticks around through camp as another body...then bye-bye.

2. TheDYVKX THE D

Didn't think he was making the roster. He had no chance at all. Agree with you. They might keep Conrath though, they'll want 4 DTs and they seem to like him.

3. max Well-Known Member

I wonder if he will?

I kind of like #79.

4. ED_29 Well-Known Member

Cudjo will definitely get another gig... well they both will but I really liked Cudjo

5. Sum1 Well-Known Member

4 DTs would be Langford, Brockers, Donald, Carrington.

TheDYVKX likes this.
  6. TheDYVKX THE D

Aaaannnd I can't do math.

Tron and -X- like this.
  7. TheDYVKX THE D

I like #79 too, but I've just seem so much of him recently as #73, so it just fits him, at least to me.

But I'm not sure if he'll change, with his jersey already being #79, the pictures being taken with him at #79 and all that.

8. flv 

I'm a little surprised by the timing of Richardson's release but his chances of making the team were slim. Cudjo isn't a surprise. He was unlikely to make the team before Carrington and Donald joined.

Cap/salary analysis for those interested:
    Richardson was due $570K and Cudjo was due $900K. For now the cap is based on the top 51 players which included both of them. It reduces the total by $1.47M but it immediately elevates the #52 and #53 players into the top 51. Since those players will be earning at least the rookie minimum, ($420K), our 'on paper' cap space would only be increased by a maximum of $630K. It's probably closer to $375K but I don't want to dig through the minutiae to get an exact figure especially since other roster moves will be made over the next few days that will make today's data obsolete. Additionally any new signing that goes into our top 51 players will knock the 51st player's money out of the current cap calculation.

1 small point:
    Richardson had a 2015 $11K cap hit which will accelerate into this year's figure as he's been cut before the June 1st cap deadline. There was ZERO chance of Pead being cut today. It's not because of his talent level but a consequence of his signing bonus. He has a dead money cap hit of $344K in 2014 and 2015. Releasing him before June 1st would have accelerated the 2015 total into this year's cap. It's not a lot of money but there's no reason to reduce our cap space to give a 91st choice roster player another 16 days of camp. After June 1st all cap hits from released players will go into next year's calculations. From June 1st all borderline veterans with cap hits will be fair game. EG Cutting Wells today counts as $2M towards this year's cap. Cutting him after the June 1st deadline counts as $1M this year and $1M next year.

laramsoriginal likes this.
  9. Stranger How big is infinity?

Only the 51 highest paid players are calculated in a team's Cap?

10. flv 

At this point yes. If you counted everyone you couldn't get 90 players under the cap. Once the season starts everyone on the team including IR & practice squad counts towards the total.

11. fancents86 Well-Known Member

This ruins my freakin`day man. i was the biggest Richardson fan. Cant believe they got rid of Richardson before Pead. For some of you who suffer from longterm memory loss and only remember D.Rich fom last season when he was injured, look up his highlights on youtube. He was deff a diamond in the ruff.

12. Tron Fights for the User

Hopefully he goes to a team where the OC knows how to use him.

Ramrasta likes this.
  13. flv 

He may come back later. He's unlikely to be claimed off waivers. They know what he can and can't do. For now they want to look at new players and most other veterans carry some form of penalty if they're cut before June 1st.

14. Lesson Well-Known Member

Pead plays special teams, DR doesn't. I think that might have been one factor.

Not really surprised with Cudjo as I figured him to be the odd man out at DT with Donald being drafted. I guess this means Conrath gets the final DT spot. I also think this has no impact on M. Sam making the roster either.

Boston Ram likes this.
  15. Memento Ser Memento (alias, The Winged Knight).

Conrath or Carrington. It all depends on if Carrington is fully healthy and/or if Conrath shows improvement.

16. Lesson Well-Known Member

Completely forgot about the signing of Carrington. Yeah, its probably going to come down to those 2. And IMO, I think Conrath has shown progression at DT and will continue to do so.

17. CGI_Ram Hamburger Connoisseur

As the roster gets deeper, the cuts get tougher.

Me; I'd prefer to hold onto DRich through camp as insurance against injury to others. He's not a bad little player and 2012 showed that.

fancents86 and Mojo Ram like this.
  18. BonifayRam Well-Known Member

A veteran former starting OT/OG would be my target free agent.

bskrilla likes this.
  19. bskrilla Well-Known Member

Pead provides a skill-set that Richardson didn't. While he's been a disappointment so far he does provide the skills you want from a 3rd down back. He can pass-block, receive, and he contributes well on ST. Richardson did none of those well.

Mason replaces Richardson (and potentially Cunningham) as the change-of-pace guy.

Glad they cut both early because I hope and expect to see both catch on somewhere else. Especially Cudjo. He was simply a casualty of too much awesomeness on our D-line.

20. Mojo Ram On double secret probation

This roster could still use a vet WR.

Best of luck to our former Rams...thanks for all you've done.